maxine in ri

Default Understanding Garlic

From Science News:
Week of June 4, 2005; Vol. 167, No. 23 , p. 357
Decoding Garlic's Pizzazz: Extract stimulates taste, temperature
receptors

Christen Brownlee

Despite garlic's widespread role in cooking—and in vampire
tales—scientists had long failed to explain the pungent plant's
burning taste. Now, a study of gustatory physiology suggests that raw
garlic's characteristic spiciness stems from its capacity to open
channels on nerve cells that react to both tastes and noxious
temperatures.

BURNING ISSUE. Raw garlic's prickly taste derives from allicin, a
chemical that may also have health benefits.
PhotoDisc

Researchers have identified a family of neuron receptors, known as
transient receptor potential (TRP) channels, that respond to diverse
triggers including touch, pain, and pheromones. At least six of these
receptors, a subset called thermoTRPs, react to both certain molecules
and unpleasant temperatures by permitting a flood of calcium ions to
enter nerve cells, which then fire.

Previous studies showed that thermoTRPs respond to several naturally
occurring flavor chemicals, such as capsaicin in hot peppers and
menthol, which gives peppermint its coolness. Although some
researchers have hypothesized that raw garlic also stimulates
thermoTRPs, Ardem Patapoutian of the Scripps Research Institute in La
Jolla, Calif., notes that no experiment had confirmed that conjecture.

To test whether the TRP channels are responsible for raw garlic's
strong flavor, Patapoutian's team used a kitchen garlic press and
more-sophisticated equipment to prepare extracts of both raw and baked
garlic purchased at groceries. The researchers added droplets of the
extracts to cultures of hamster cells that were genetically modified
to sport thermoTRPs on their membranes.

The team designed the experiment so that a cell would fluoresce when
calcium passed through its membrane. A glow would indicate that the
particular extract had activated the channels.

Patapoutian's team found that two types of thermoTRP channels,
designated TRPA1 and TRPV1, reacted to the extract from raw garlic but
not to the extract from baked garlic, which has a less pungent taste.

To investigate which chemical in raw garlic was responsible for
activating TRPA1 and TRPV1, the scientists compared the chemical
compositions of the extracts.

"We found that the major difference between the baked and raw garlic
extracts was that the raw extract contains allicin, but the baked does
not," says Patapoutian's Scripps colleague Lindsey Macpherson.
Allicin, a chemical well studied for its role in garlic's health
benefits, breaks down when garlic is heated. Further experiments with
hamster cells bearing thermoTRPs revealed that pure allicin opens the
calcium channels.

The researchers report their findings in the May 24 Current Biology.

The finding adds to a growing list of naturally occurring plant
products that stimulate thermoTRP channels, says David McKemy, a
researcher who studies the channels at the University of Southern
California in Los Angeles. The next challenge, he notes, may be to
uncover why the burn of garlic's allicin differs from that of other
thermoTRP stimulators, such as those in hot peppers, cinnamon, or
mustard.

Patapoutian notes that people have quite an unusual relationship to
flavor chemicals such as allicin. While people crave foods containing
thermoTRP-activating chemicals, most other animals tend to avoid them.
Observes Patapoutian: "It's an interesting issue of how humans have
come to like this [sensation]."
cathyxyz

maxine in ri wrote:
> From Science News:
> Week of June 4, 2005; Vol. 167, No. 23 , p. 357
> Decoding Garlic's Pizzazz: Extract stimulates taste, temperature
> receptors

Snip

Interesting article, thanks.

Just goes to show that my granny was right... raw garlic is good for
you. Wonder why we all like it so much?
Cathy

--
I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it
AlleyGator

maxine in ri > wrote:

>From Science News:
>Week of June 4, 2005; Vol. 167, No. 23 , p. 357
>Decoding Garlic's Pizzazz: Extract stimulates taste, temperature
>receptors

Very interesting stuff. What baffles me the most is why I have such a
hard time finding any that is not half-dried and sprouting these days.
Haven't seen any good garlic for a long time.

--
The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
At least now I have an excuse.
Elaine Parrish

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005, AlleyGator wrote:

> maxine in ri > wrote:
>
> >From Science News:
> >Week of June 4, 2005; Vol. 167, No. 23 , p. 357
> >Decoding Garlic's Pizzazz: Extract stimulates taste, temperature
> >receptors

> Very interesting stuff. What baffles me the most is why I have such a
> hard time finding any that is not half-dried and sprouting these days.
> Haven't seen any good garlic for a long time.
>
> --
> The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
> At least now I have an excuse.

I know this borders on sacrelige, but... I found minced garlic in a jar,
packed in olive oil, in my refrigerated produce section. It comes "not
packed in oo" and in roasted (which is fab). They also have basil in oo.
I love it. It works well for me.

Of course, my fresh ground pepper comes out of one of those red and white
cans....

<g>

Elaine, too

Bubba

Andy wrote:

(AlleyGator) wrote in
:

>>maxine in ri > wrote:
>>
>>>From Science News:

>>>Week of June 4, 2005; Vol. 167, No. 23 , p. 357
>>>Decoding Garlic's Pizzazz: Extract stimulates taste, temperature
>>>receptors
>>>

>>Very interesting stuff. What baffles me the most is why I have such a
>>hard time finding any that is not half-dried and sprouting these days.
>>Haven't seen any good garlic for a long time.
>>

>At Trader Joe's this a.m., I found this huge head of garlic about the
>size of a baseball with giant cloves, called "Elephant garlic." I'd seen
>something smaller called elephant garlic, but not like what I saw this
>a.m. It's supposed to be sweeter so I was told.
>
>Andy

And milder.

--
You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?

itsjoannotjoann

Andy wrote:

> At Trader Joe's this a.m., I found this huge head of garlic about the
> size of a baseball with giant cloves, called "Elephant garlic." I'd seen
> something smaller called elephant garlic, but not like what I saw this
> a.m. It's supposed to be sweeter so I was told.
>
> Andy

Ok, don't scream at me, but didn't I see a show where Alton Brown
("Good Eats)said elephant garlic is really not garlic, but an onion? I
may be wrong, correct me if I am.

Sarah

>>At Trader Joe's this a.m., I found this huge head of garlic about the
>>size of a baseball with giant cloves, called "Elephant garlic." I'd seen
>>something smaller called elephant garlic, but not like what I saw this a.m.
>>It's supposed to be sweeter so I was told.
>>
>>Andy
>>

> And milder.
>
> --
> You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?

Try it roasted, leave it whole stick it in the oven with a little oil and when
it's done it just squeezes out.

Sarah

Andy

"itsjoannotjoann" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Andy wrote:
>

>> At Trader Joe's this a.m., I found this huge head of garlic about the
>> size of a baseball with giant cloves, called "Elephant garlic." I'd

seen
>> something smaller called elephant garlic, but not like what I saw this
>> a.m. It's supposed to be sweeter so I was told.
>>
>> Andy

> Ok, don't scream at me, but didn't I see a show where Alton Brown
> ("Good Eats)said elephant garlic is really not garlic, but an onion? I
> may be wrong, correct me if I am.

I dunno. Perhaps you're right. I held that puppy in my hand and thought
I'd shrunk!

Andy

--
"Ladies and gentlemen, The Beatles!"
- Ed Sullivan (1964)
Janet Bostwick

"itsjoannotjoann" > wrote in message
oups.com...

snip
> Ok, don't scream at me, but didn't I see a show where Alton Brown
> ("Good Eats)said elephant garlic is really not garlic, but an onion? I
> may be wrong, correct me if I am.

You're right, elephant garlic is not true garlic.
Janet

Sheldon

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> "itsjoannotjoann" wrote:
>
> > Ok, don't scream at me, but didn't I see a show where Alton Brown
> > ("Good Eats)said elephant garlic is really not garlic, but an onion? I
> > may be wrong, correct me if I am.
> >

> You're right, elephant garlic is not true garlic.

Elephant garlic is not an onion, it's actually related to leek. Of
course they're all allium.

http://www.garlic-central.com/elephant-garlic.html

Also...

garlic
Garlic has long been credited with providing and prolonging physical
strength and was fed to Egyptian slaves building the giant pyramids.
Throughout the centuries, its medicinal claims have included cures for
toothaches, consumption, open wounds and evil demons. A member of the
lily family, garlic is a cousin to leeks, chives, onions and shallots.
The edible bulb or "head" grows beneath the ground. This bulb is made
up of sections called cloves, each encased in its own parchmentlike
membrane. Today's major garlic suppliers include the United States
(mainly California, Texas and Louisiana), France, Spain, Italy and
Mexico. There are three major types of garlic available in the United
States: the white-skinned, strongly flavored American garlic; the
Mexican and Italian garlic, both of which have mauve-colored skins and
a somewhat milder flavor; and the Paul Bunyanesque, white-skinned
elephant garlic (which is not a true garlic, but a relative of the
LEEK), the most mildly flavored of the three. Depending on the variety,
cloves of American, Mexican and Italian garlic can range from 1/2 to 1
1/2 inches in length. Elephant garlic (grown mainly in California) has
bulbs the size of a small grapefruit, with huge cloves averaging 1
ounce each. It can be purchased through mail order and in some gourmet
markets. Green garlic, available occasionally in specialty produce
markets, is young garlic before it begins to form cloves. It resembles
a baby LEEK, with a long green top and white bulb, sometimes tinged
with pink. The flavor of a baby plant is much softer than that of
mature garlic.

=A9 Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.=20

Sheldon

cathyxyz

Tony P. wrote:

> Because a clove or two of finely chopped garlic, combined with penne,
> basil, tuna and olive oil rocks.

(Almost) anything with garlic rocks! Yum.
Cheers
Cathy
--
I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it
blake murphy

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 11:10:21 -0400, Tony P.
> wrote:

>In article >,
says...
>> maxine in ri > wrote:
>>
>> >From Science News:
>> >Week of June 4, 2005; Vol. 167, No. 23 , p. 357
>> >Decoding Garlic's Pizzazz: Extract stimulates taste, temperature
>> >receptors

>> Very interesting stuff. What baffles me the most is why I have such a
>> hard time finding any that is not half-dried and sprouting these days.
>> Haven't seen any good garlic for a long time.

>I've noticed that recently. The overall quality of produce in general
>has been going downhill in recent years. For example, the local
>supermarket will put oranges that look like they've been through hell
>out for $1.00 each. Out of curiosity I bought one, dry and tasteless.
>
>I have yet to see the produce manager show his smiling face. I wonder
>why.

personally, i think that it's a sign that vegetables are becoming more
intelligent, and thus committing suicide, at an earlier age.

your pal,
emily

Fudge

Notice when a human passes a restaurant with the kitchen fans running
full blast, a hunger response is triggered. I have often wondered why
restaurateurs never infuse the exhausts from their establishments with
garlic. When this human smells garlic, I WANT FOOD.
Several chemicals exist in a garlic bulb with out mixing. When the
mechanical action of an insect or animal attacking the plant, these
chemicals and enzymes mix together to give off the pungent odours and
flavours we all love. This is a defence mechanism.
There are a lot of different flavour profiles amongst garlic varieties.
Many garlic growers prefer to eat their garlic bulbs raw and favour small
bulbs grown on poor soil.

Farmer John

"maxine in ri" > wrote in message
> [...]
> calcium channels.
>
> The researchers report their findings in the May 24 Current Biology.
>
> The finding adds to a growing list of naturally occurring plant
> products that stimulate thermoTRP channels, says David McKemy, a
> researcher who studies the channels at the University of Southern
> California in Los Angeles. The next challenge, he notes, may be to
> uncover why the burn of garlic's allicin differs from that of other
> thermoTRP stimulators, such as those in hot peppers, cinnamon, or
> mustard.
>
> Patapoutian notes that people have quite an unusual relationship to
> flavor chemicals such as allicin. While people crave foods containing
> thermoTRP-activating chemicals, most other animals tend to avoid them.
> Observes Patapoutian: "It's an interesting issue of how humans have

maxine in ri

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 13:33:30 -0700, Lou >
connected the dots and wrote:

~On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 11:10:21 -0400, Tony P.
> wrote:
~
~>In article >,
says...
~>> maxine in ri > wrote:
~>>
~>> >From Science News:
~>> >Week of June 4, 2005; Vol. 167, No. 23 , p. 357
~>> >Decoding Garlic's Pizzazz: Extract stimulates taste, temperature
~>> >receptors
~>>
~>> Very interesting stuff. What baffles me the most is why I have
such a
~>> hard time finding any that is not half-dried and sprouting these
days.
~>> Haven't seen any good garlic for a long time.
~>
~>I've noticed that recently. The overall quality of produce in
general
~>has been going downhill in recent years. For example, the local
~>supermarket will put oranges that look like they've been through
hell
~>out for $1.00 each. Out of curiosity I bought one, dry and
tasteless.
~>
~>I have yet to see the produce manager show his smiling face. I
wonder
~>why.
~
~Most of the supermarkets here in Socal are selling Garlic heads
packed
~in the plastic netting sleeves, 5 or 6 heads together. Reading the
~label I'm finding it is a product of China. California being the No.
1
~Garlic producing state in the country, importing Chinese Garlic just
~doesn't compute. Although Garlic seems to be Garlic, I'd rather buy
~the domestic stuff and so, have to find a market where they sell
~loose heads and only then, if grown in California. Strange !!!

There are many sorts of garlic. Some friends made me a braid from
their garden, with 7 different cultivars<?>. Some were almost sweet,
others so hot I could barely cook with them. Some only had 4
good-sized cloves, others had dozens it seemed.

I've tried the ones from the Asian market, and they're sort of bland.
The ones I get in the Italian greengrocers around here are the best.

maxine in ri
Ken Davey

maxine in ri wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 13:33:30 -0700, Lou >
> connected the dots and wrote:
>
> ~On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 11:10:21 -0400, Tony P.
> > wrote:
> ~
> ~>In article >,
> says...
> ~>> maxine in ri > wrote:
> ~>>
> ~>> >From Science News:
> ~>> >Week of June 4, 2005; Vol. 167, No. 23 , p. 357
> ~>> >Decoding Garlic's Pizzazz: Extract stimulates taste, temperature
> ~>> >receptors
> ~>>
> ~>> Very interesting stuff. What baffles me the most is why I have
> such a
> ~>> hard time finding any that is not half-dried and sprouting these
> days.
> ~>> Haven't seen any good garlic for a long time.
> ~>
> ~>I've noticed that recently. The overall quality of produce in
> general
> ~>has been going downhill in recent years. For example, the local
> ~>supermarket will put oranges that look like they've been through
> hell
> ~>out for $1.00 each. Out of curiosity I bought one, dry and
> tasteless.
> ~>
> ~>I have yet to see the produce manager show his smiling face. I
> wonder
> ~>why.
> ~
> ~Most of the supermarkets here in Socal are selling Garlic heads
> packed
> ~in the plastic netting sleeves, 5 or 6 heads together. Reading the
> ~label I'm finding it is a product of China. California being the No.
> 1
> ~Garlic producing state in the country, importing Chinese Garlic just
> ~doesn't compute. Although Garlic seems to be Garlic, I'd rather buy
> ~the domestic stuff and so, have to find a market where they sell
> ~loose heads and only then, if grown in California. Strange !!!
>
> There are many sorts of garlic. Some friends made me a braid from
> their garden, with 7 different cultivars<?>. Some were almost sweet,
> others so hot I could barely cook with them. Some only had 4
> good-sized cloves, others had dozens it seemed.
>
> I've tried the ones from the Asian market, and they're sort of bland.
> The ones I get in the Italian greengrocers around here are the best.
>
> maxine in ri

I have a neighbour who grows a 'heritage' cultivar of garlic. This garlic
blows all the 'store-bought' stuff out of the water!
In Honduras, where I spend my Winters, I look ( in the mercado central) for
garlic with the roots on. This is a sign that this garlic is locally grown
and not imported from China or the USA. The flavour of the locally grown
product is intense! The imported garlic is, in four words, "not worth the
space".
Commerce has decided to sell us an inferior product.
Don't buy (into) it!

Ken.

Dwayne

I agree with Ken. Find one you like, break it apart and plant it. I have
been raising my own for about 7 years and this year I will be giving away a
lot more than I will eat. I know mine is organic, fresh and one I enjoy
eating.

Dwayne

"Ken Davey" > wrote in message
> [...]
>> their garden, with 7 different cultivars<?>. Some were almost sweet,
>> others so hot I could barely cook with them. Some only had 4
>> good-sized cloves, others had dozens it seemed.
>>
>> I've tried the ones from the Asian market, and they're sort of bland.
>> The ones I get in the Italian greengrocers around here are the best.
>>
>> maxine in ri

> I have a neighbour who grows a 'heritage' cultivar of garlic. This garlic
> blows all the 'store-bought' stuff out of the water!
> In Honduras, where I spend my Winters, I look ( in the mercado central)
> for garlic with the roots on. This is a sign that this garlic is locally
> grown and not imported from China or the USA. The flavour of the locally
> grown product is intense! The imported garlic is, in four words, "not
> worth the space".
> Commerce has decided to sell us an inferior product.

Richard Kaszeta

"Dwayne" > writes:
> I agree with Ken. Find one you like, break it apart and plant it. I have
> been raising my own for about 7 years and this year I will be giving away a
> lot more than I will eat. I know mine is organic, fresh and one I enjoy
> eating.

As a regular garlic grower myself (9 different cultivars this year) I
heartily agree. Especially since it's one of the easiest things you
can grow (good weather tolerance, pest-resistant, the deer don't eat
it, and I can just plant it and more or less forget it). That, and
you can also learn the joys of cooking with garlic scapes.

--
Richard W Kaszeta

http://www.kaszeta.org/rich

SBarbour

Gilroy, California, claims to be the garlic capital of the world, and
Christopher Ranch is the largest garlic grower in Gilroy. A couple of years
ago, they moved a large percentage of their garlic growing and packing
operation to China... seems it's cheaper there.

Living in Gilroy, I can still get locally grown garlic from the smaller
growers. It's definitely fresher and, of course, tastes better too.

Sharon

"Lou" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 11:10:21 -0400, Tony P.
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> says...

> >> Very interesting stuff. What baffles me the most is why I have such a
> >> hard time finding any that is not half-dried and sprouting these days.
> >> Haven't seen any good garlic for a long time.

> >I've noticed that recently. The overall quality of produce in general
> >has been going downhill in recent years. For example, the local
> >supermarket will put oranges that look like they've been through hell
> >out for $1.00 each. Out of curiosity I bought one, dry and tasteless.
> >
> >I have yet to see the produce manager show his smiling face. I wonder
> >why.

> Most of the supermarkets here in Socal are selling Garlic heads packed
> in the plastic netting sleeves, 5 or 6 heads together. Reading the
> label I'm finding it is a product of China. California being the No. 1
> Garlic producing state in the country, importing Chinese Garlic just
> doesn't compute. Although Garlic seems to be Garlic, I'd rather buy
> the domestic stuff and so, have to find a market where they sell
> loose heads and only then, if grown in California. Strange !!!

Shaun aRe

Is all but impossible IME - can't get a word of sense outa the stuff.

Shaun aRe