Alexandra

Default Store bought puff pastry question

Hi All!

When I don't have time to make my own pastry, I use the store bought
frozen stuff.
Question- can I combine the scraps left over like regular dough and
roll it back out to use to get one more pastry or what ever Im making?
I wasn't sure if it would mess up the puff layers or texture in the
pre-made stuff.

Recommendations?

Thanks!

Joseph Littleshoes

Alexandra wrote:

> Hi All!
>
> When I don't have time to make my own pastry, I use the store bought
> frozen stuff.
> Question- can I combine the scraps left over like regular dough and
> roll it back out to use to get one more pastry or what ever Im making?
>
> I wasn't sure if it would mess up the puff layers or texture in the
> pre-made stuff.
>
> Recommendations?
>
> Thanks!

Puff pastry dough is paper thin layers of dough separated by paper thin
layers of butter so if you knead & roll out the leftover dough you will
lose the structure but you can still use if for biscuits, dumplings or a
pastry case to be filled and baked.

If your left over pieces were of an appropriate size, big enough to make
it worth while, you could do a version of feuilletee au roquefort.

place a bit of blue cheese (roquefort) on a piece of puff pastry dough,
add a bit of thick cream sauce and then smear a little water around the
edges and place another piece of dough over it, press the edges together
coat with an egg wash and bake in a 350 F oven till 20 - 30 minutes or
so, or until the dough is lightly browned.

You could skip the cream sauce and egg wash and have little bite sized
pieces of puff pastry filled with blue cheese.

---
Joseph Littleshoes

Frogleg

>Alexandra wrote:
>
>> When I don't have time to make my own pastry, I use the store bought
>> frozen stuff.
>> Question- can I combine the scraps left over like regular dough and
>> roll it back out to use to get one more pastry or what ever Im making?

Follow the same technique you do with your homemade putt pastry.
There's not a significant difference in store-bought.

Puff Pastry Question Taxed and Spent General Cooking 5 04-09-2016 06:25 AM
Puff Pastry z z General Cooking 26 02-09-2012 11:07 PM
Puff Pastry Reg[_2_] General Cooking 6 20-02-2011 10:24 PM
Puff pastry 101 Andy General Cooking 1 06-10-2005 03:10 PM
puff pastry Sarah Baking 5 02-07-2004 12:10 AM