Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

Default Puff Pastry

What do you know about puff pastry? Do you buy it? Do you make it
yourself? How often in a year do you use it?

Expensive item-Aldi's once around Christmas time sold an off brand very
cheap. Buy up and freeze when you can get a good price.

Usually I simply (lazily) slice it into small rectangles, spread with
lemon curd, and bake.

Have you ever seen those 3inch high pastry pillows? Do they call them
Neopolitans? I am guessing they stacked multiple layers of sheets
together before baking?

I have a love for cream horns. You know, every grocery store sells them
in a plastic wrapped package of 4 filled with a godawful Twinkie filling
:-)

So, I assume you wrap puff pastry around those metal pastry tubes
?cannoli tubes? and bake, and then slide them off the tubes, cool, and
fill? I am thinking I could use wood dowels?? Parchment paper wrapped
around knives was another thought. :-)

I like the idea of a narrower tunnel to fill-keeping the filling in
better proportion to the pastry dough.

I also love cream cheese danish-really really love that dough-do you
think a danish dough would work baked around a cylinder?

Moving on to the godawful Twinkie filling...

I once tried scraping out the filling and filling with Cool Whip-it was
equally gadawful :-)

Any delicious ideas for filling?

I am leaning towards trying to coat the tunnel rather than fill it.
Could one coat the raw dough on one side with a sweet eggy creamy cheesy
fruity nutty mixture and wrap it around your tube with the filling side
applied to the tube?

What are your ideas for the sweet insides of a pastry tube?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"z z" > wrote in message
> What do you know about puff pastry? Do you buy it? Do you make it
> yourself? How often in a year do you use it?
>
> Expensive item-Aldi's once around Christmas time sold an off brand very
> cheap. Buy up and freeze when you can get a good price.
>
> Usually I simply (lazily) slice it into small rectangles, spread with
> lemon curd, and bake.
>
> Have you ever seen those 3inch high pastry pillows? Do they call them
> Neopolitans? I am guessing they stacked multiple layers of sheets
> together before baking?
>
> I have a love for cream horns. You know, every grocery store sells them
> in a plastic wrapped package of 4 filled with a godawful Twinkie filling
> :-)
>
> So, I assume you wrap puff pastry around those metal pastry tubes
> ?cannoli tubes? and bake, and then slide them off the tubes, cool, and
> fill? I am thinking I could use wood dowels?? Parchment paper wrapped
> around knives was another thought. :-)
>
> I like the idea of a narrower tunnel to fill-keeping the filling in
> better proportion to the pastry dough.
>
> I also love cream cheese danish-really really love that dough-do you
> think a danish dough would work baked around a cylinder?
>
> Moving on to the godawful Twinkie filling...
>
> I once tried scraping out the filling and filling with Cool Whip-it was
> equally gadawful :-)
>
> Any delicious ideas for filling?
>
> I am leaning towards trying to coat the tunnel rather than fill it.
> Could one coat the raw dough on one side with a sweet eggy creamy cheesy
> fruity nutty mixture and wrap it around your tube with the filling side
> applied to the tube?
>
> What are your ideas for the sweet insides of a pastry tube?

the word is: DECAF!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 1, 9:20*am, (z z) wrote:
> What do you know about puff pastry? Do you buy it? Do you make it
> yourself? How often in a year do you use it?
>
> Expensive item-Aldi's once around Christmas time sold an off brand very
> cheap. Buy up and freeze when you can get a good price.
>
> Usually I simply (lazily) slice it into small rectangles, spread with
> lemon curd, and bake.
>
> Have you ever seen those 3inch high pastry pillows? Do they call them
> Neopolitans? I am guessing they stacked multiple layers of sheets
> together before baking?
>
> I have a love for cream horns. You know, every grocery store sells them
> in a plastic wrapped package of 4 filled with a godawful Twinkie filling
> :-)
>
> So, I assume you wrap puff pastry around those metal pastry tubes
> ?cannoli tubes? and bake, and then slide them off the tubes, cool, and
> fill? I am thinking I could use wood dowels?? Parchment paper wrapped
> around knives was another thought. :-)
>
> I like the idea of a narrower tunnel to fill-keeping the filling in
> better proportion to the pastry dough.
>
> I also love cream cheese danish-really really love that dough-do you
> think a danish dough would work baked around a cylinder?
>
> Moving on to the godawful Twinkie filling...
>
> I once tried scraping out the filling and filling with Cool Whip-it was
> equally gadawful :-)
>
> Any delicious ideas for filling?
>
> I am leaning towards trying to coat the tunnel rather than fill it.
> Could one coat the raw dough on one side with a sweet eggy creamy cheesy
> fruity nutty mixture and wrap it around your tube with the filling side
> applied to the tube?
>
> What are your ideas for the sweet insides of a pastry tube?

I usually make it myself- it's time consuming, but rather easy, and it
tastes so much better. I like to make turnovers, and it is also good
for making cheese sticks. So many things you can do with it! As far as
Napoleons go, it is only one layer. We would bake off a big sheet of
it & cut it into thirds. One third on the bottom, then a layer of
pastry cream, then the second piece of puff, etc. It just looks like
more than one layer as it puffs when baked. As far as cream horns go,
I don't think the wood dowels would work...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 1, 2012 11:20:03 AM UTC-5, z z wrote:

> I once tried scraping out the filling and filling with Cool Whip-it was
>
> equally gadawful :-)

You are obviously a complete slob if you even let Cool Whip into your house.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"z z" > wrote in message
> What are your ideas for the sweet insides of a pastry tube?

Italian Pastry Cream. yum!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 1, 11:27*am, "Pico Rico" > wrote:

> "z z" > wrote in message

LOTS of snippage.

> > What are your ideas for the sweet insides of a pastry tube?

> the word is: DECAF!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I was thinking the same thing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Sep 2012 20:07:32 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

>On Saturday, September 1, 2012 11:20:03 AM UTC-5, z z wrote:
>>

>> I once tried scraping out the filling and filling with Cool Whip-it was
>>
>> equally gadawful :-)

>You are obviously a complete slob if you even let Cool Whip into your house.
>>

>--Bryan

Black and white thinking, another symprom of your neurosis! Not to
mention personalizing your insults because you don't like what someone
else likes.

Jiohn Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Sep 2012 20:07:32 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> > wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, September 1, 2012 11:20:03 AM UTC-5, z z wrote:
> >>

> >> I once tried scraping out the filling and filling with Cool Whip-it was
> >>
> >> equally gadawful :-)

> >You are obviously a complete slob if you even let Cool Whip into your house.
> >>

> >--Bryan

> Black and white thinking, another symprom of your neurosis! Not to
> mention personalizing your insults because you don't like what someone
> else likes.
>
> Jiohn Kuthe...

I personally like to fry spam in a little bit of hamburger grease, then top
with cool whip. It's dinner and dessert all in one.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 07:44:49 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>John Kuthe wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 1 Sep 2012 20:07:32 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
>> > wrote:

>> >You are obviously a complete slob if you even let Cool Whip into your house.
>> >>
>> >--Bryan

>> Black and white thinking, another symprom of your neurosis! Not to
>> mention personalizing your insults because you don't like what someone
>> else likes.
>>
>> Jiohn Kuthe...

>I personally like to fry spam in a little bit of hamburger grease, then top
>with cool whip. It's dinner and dessert all in one.
>
>Gary

You should top it with Velveeta and a dab of mayo!!

;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 01/09/2012 12:11 PM, z z wrote:
> What do you know about puff pastry? Do you buy it? Do you make it
> yourself? How often in a year do you use it?
>
> Expensive item-Aldi's once around Christmas time sold an off brand very
> cheap. Buy up and freeze when you can get a good price.
>
> Usually I simply (lazily) slice it into small rectangles, spread with
> lemon curd, and bake.
>
> Have you ever seen those 3inch high pastry pillows? Do they call them
> Neopolitans? I am guessing they stacked multiple layers of sheets
> together before baking?
>
> I have a love for cream horns. You know, every grocery store sells them
> in a plastic wrapped package of 4 filled with a godawful Twinkie filling
> :-)

I have posted before about pattie shells, which seem not to be available
in the US, but they are rounds of puff pastry with the tops cut out. We
can get them frozen and bake them to be served hot out of the oven.
They are great with creamed salmon or chicken. Any leftovers can be
filled with ice cream and drizzled with chocolate sauce or a fruit topping.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/2/2012 8:31 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

> I have posted before about pattie shells, which seem not to be available
> in the US, but they are rounds of puff pastry with the tops cut out. We
> can get them frozen and bake them to be served hot out of the oven.
> They are great with creamed salmon or chicken. Any leftovers can be
> filled with ice cream and drizzled with chocolate sauce or a fruit
> topping.

I've seen them in the US - Pepperidge Farm, IIRC.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> I personally like to fry spam in a little bit of hamburger grease, then top
> with cool whip. It's dinner and dessert all in one.

Paraguay is so overrun with guinea pigs that they're a staple food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> I have posted before about pattie shells, which seem not to be available
> in the US, but they are rounds of puff pastry with the tops cut out.

Pepperidge Farm markets them as "pastry shells".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George M. Middius" wrote:

> Gary wrote:
>
> > I personally like to fry spam in a little bit of hamburger grease, then top
> > with cool whip. It's dinner and dessert all in one.

> Paraguay is so overrun with guinea pigs that they're a staple food.

Actually, I think it is in Equador, where they keep guinea pigs around the
house just like we keep chickens. They aren't pets, they are food.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 07:44:49 -0400, Gary > wrote:
> >I personally like to fry spam in a little bit of hamburger grease, then top
> >with cool whip. It's dinner and dessert all in one.
> >
> >Gary

> You should top it with Velveeta and a dab of mayo!!

Even better, imo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

We have the shells here-they are even more expensive than the sheets.
Back in the day the school cafeteria served chicken ala king in those
shells.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 2, 4:44*am, Gary > wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 1 Sep 2012 20:07:32 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> > > wrote:

> > >You are obviously a complete slob if you even let Cool Whip into your house.

> > >--Bryan

> > Black and white thinking, another symprom of your neurosis! Not to
> > mention personalizing your insults because you don't like what someone
> > else likes.

> > Jiohn Kuthe...

> I personally like to fry spam in a little bit of hamburger grease, then top
> with cool whip. It's dinner and dessert all in one. *

You left off the Welch's Grape Jelly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 2, 9:01*am, Gary > wrote:
> "George M. Middius" wrote:
>
> > Gary wrote:

> > > I personally like to fry spam in a little bit of hamburger grease, then top
> > > with cool whip. It's dinner and dessert all in one. *

> > Paraguay is so overrun with guinea pigs that they're a staple food.

> Actually, I think it is in Equador, where they keep guinea pigs around the
> house just like we keep chickens. *They aren't pets, they are food.

A Latin American version of this classic?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105134/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 2, 5:31*am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 01/09/2012 12:11 PM, z z wrote:
>

> > What do you know about puff pastry? Do you buy it? Do you make it
> > yourself? How often in a year do you use it?

> > Expensive item-Aldi's once around Christmas time sold an off brand very
> > cheap. Buy up and freeze when you can get a good price.

> > Usually I simply (lazily) slice it into small rectangles, spread with
> > lemon curd, and bake.

> > Have you ever seen those 3inch high pastry pillows? Do they call them
> > Neopolitans? I am guessing they stacked multiple layers of sheets
> > together before baking?

> > I have a love for cream horns. You know, every grocery store sells them
> > in a plastic wrapped package of 4 filled with a godawful Twinkie filling
> > :-)

> I have posted before about pattie shells, which seem not to be available
> in the US, but they are rounds of puff pastry with the tops cut out. We
> can get them *frozen and bake them to be served hot out of the oven.
> They are great with creamed salmon or chicken. *Any leftovers can be
> filled with ice cream and drizzled with *chocolate sauce or a fruit topping.

They are available in the US...I think Pepperridge Farms makes them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/1/2012 11:11 AM, z z wrote:

> I have a love for cream horns. You know, every grocery store sells them
> in a plastic wrapped package of 4 filled with a godawful Twinkie filling
> :-)

They make molds or cream horns, but I hesitate to buy them, or crumpet
rings, for fear that I will make them and gain 20 lbs.

http://www.amazon.com/Cream-Roll-Hor.../dp/B0012MW29M

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

Thanks for the Amazon link-I especially enjoy their consumer comments
section where people give their review of the item they purchased and
how they use it.

Just googled crumpets :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 02/09/2012 2:47 PM, z z wrote:
> Thanks for the Amazon link-I especially enjoy their consumer comments
> section where people give their review of the item they purchased and
> how they use it.
>
> Just googled crumpets :-)

You had to Google crumpets? Does that mean they are not available where
you live? Even commercially made crumpets are a treat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 16:25:10 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 02/09/2012 2:47 PM, z z wrote:
>> Thanks for the Amazon link-I especially enjoy their consumer comments
>> section where people give their review of the item they purchased and
>> how they use it.
>>
>> Just googled crumpets :-)
>>

>You had to Google crumpets? Does that mean they are not available where
>you live? Even commercially made crumpets are a treat.

What part of Canada are you in? I don't get north to Montreal
often, but I think I would have noticed them if they were on a diner
menu.

I've never seen them. This is English Muffin country. [upstate NY]
My attempts at making them have come up with an inferior English
muffin-like thing.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 02/09/2012 4:55 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

>> You had to Google crumpets? Does that mean they are not available where
>> you live? Even commercially made crumpets are a treat.

> What part of Canada are you in? I don't get north to Montreal
> often, but I think I would have noticed them if they were on a diner
> menu.
>
> I've never seen them. This is English Muffin country. [upstate NY]
> My attempts at making them have come up with an inferior English
> muffin-like thing.

I am smack dab in the middle of the Niagara peninsula in southern
Ontario. It is rare to see crumpets in restaurants, but they can be
found in some bakeries and are readily available in all grocery stores
around here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/2/2012 8:31 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 01/09/2012 12:11 PM, z z wrote:
>> What do you know about puff pastry? Do you buy it? Do you make it
>> yourself? How often in a year do you use it?
>>
>> Expensive item-Aldi's once around Christmas time sold an off brand very
>> cheap. Buy up and freeze when you can get a good price.
>>
>> Usually I simply (lazily) slice it into small rectangles, spread with
>> lemon curd, and bake.
>>
>> Have you ever seen those 3inch high pastry pillows? Do they call them
>> Neopolitans? I am guessing they stacked multiple layers of sheets
>> together before baking?
>>
>> I have a love for cream horns. You know, every grocery store sells them
>> in a plastic wrapped package of 4 filled with a godawful Twinkie filling
>> :-)
>>

> I have posted before about pattie shells, which seem not to be available
> in the US, but they are rounds of puff pastry with the tops cut out. We
> can get them frozen and bake them to be served hot out of the oven.
> They are great with creamed salmon or chicken. Any leftovers can be
> filled with ice cream and drizzled with chocolate sauce or a fruit
> topping.

I've bought them here for some dish I made for a holiday. Can't
remember details, but I know we have them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 2, 1:57*pm, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 16:25:10 -0400, Dave Smith
>
> > wrote:
> >On 02/09/2012 2:47 PM, z z wrote:
> >> Thanks for the Amazon link-I especially enjoy their consumer comments
> >> section where people give their review of the item they purchased and
> >> how they use it.

> >> Just googled crumpets :-)

> >You had to Google crumpets? *Does that mean they are not available where
> >you live? *Even commercially made crumpets are a treat.

> What part of Canada are you in? * *I don't get north to Montreal
> often, but I think I would have noticed them if they were on a diner
> menu.
>
> I've never seen them. * This is English Muffin country. *[upstate NY]
> My attempts at making them have come up with an inferior English
> muffin-like thing.
>
> Jim

You probably did them right then! I'll take a Thomas's over a crumpet
any day.

Puff Pastry Question Taxed and Spent General Cooking 5 04-09-2016 06:25 AM
Puff Pastry Reg[_2_] General Cooking 6 20-02-2011 11:24 PM
Cooking puff pastry ?? Sky General Cooking 3 29-05-2008 06:06 PM
Puff pastry 101 Andy General Cooking 1 06-10-2005 03:10 PM
puff pastry Sarah Baking 5 02-07-2004 12:10 AM