Melba's Jammin'

Default Shredded Wheat Cereal

I have a box of it and may or may not finish eating it. It's really
disgusting. If I give up on eating it from a bowl with milk and a
spoon, does it work in cooking anything? Like maybe meatloaf or
meatballs or something?
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 5/8/05.
"Are we going to measure, or are we going to cook?" -Food Critic Mimi Sheraton
Bob (this one)

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> I have a box of it and may or may not finish eating it. It's really
> disgusting. If I give up on eating it from a bowl with milk and a
> spoon, does it work in cooking anything? Like maybe meatloaf or
> meatballs or something?

Yep. As long as it's not the sweetened kind. Can be a filler for ground
meats. Processed (to whatever degree of fineness), can be added to crumb
coatings. Strange one - crumble and add to melted chocolate as one would
use rice crispies.

Add to bread, tapioca or rice pudding as an extender (soak in the milk
or cream first and ad a bit extra to compensate). Crumble, moisten and
add to whole wheat breads. Crumble and add to muesli (moisten with
yogurt the evening before and keep in the fridge overnight).

Cook in a double boiler like oatmeal or cream of wheat. Dash of vanilla,
bit of sugar. Cook until very soft.

Big glass of Scotch completes all the above. Doesn't make it taste any
better, just helps you to forgive the butthead who invented it.

Pastorio
Dave Smith

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> I have a box of it and may or may not finish eating it. It's really
> disgusting. If I give up on eating it from a bowl with milk and a
> spoon, does it work in cooking anything? Like maybe meatloaf or
> meatballs or something?

You don't like Shredded Wheat? You're kidding? What is there not to like about
it? I love the stuff. It is the only cold cereal that I buy. I had it every
morning for breakfast for close to 10 years and never tired of it. I just add some
whole milk and dark brown sugar or honey, and it is great with bananas or berries.

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 28 May 2005 07:59:23a, Dave Smith wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> I have a box of it and may or may not finish eating it. It's really
>> disgusting. If I give up on eating it from a bowl with milk and a
>> spoon, does it work in cooking anything? Like maybe meatloaf or
>> meatballs or something?

> You don't like Shredded Wheat? You're kidding? What is there not to
> like about it? I love the stuff. It is the only cold cereal that I buy.
> I had it every morning for breakfast for close to 10 years and never
> tired of it. I just add some whole milk and dark brown sugar or honey,
> and it is great with bananas or berries.

Do you like beets?

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Dave Smith

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> > You don't like Shredded Wheat? You're kidding? What is there not to
> > like about it? I love the stuff. It is the only cold cereal that I buy.
> > I had it every morning for breakfast for close to 10 years and never
> > tired of it. I just add some whole milk and dark brown sugar or honey,
> > and it is great with bananas or berries.

> Do you like beets?

Not on Shredded Wheat :-)
Actually, I don't mind beets, especially fresh from the garden. We never have
them in the house because they are one of the few things that my wife cannot
bear to eat.

Monsur Fromage du Pollet

L, not -L wrote on 28 May 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> On 28-May-2005, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > I have a box of it and may or may not finish eating it. It's
> > really disgusting. If I give up on eating it from a bowl with
> > milk and a spoon, does it work in cooking anything? Like maybe
> > meatloaf or meatballs or something?

> Try this before giving up on it as a cereal, assuming you have the
> full-size shredded wheat biscuits:
> 2 shredded wheat biscuits
> 2 tablespoons brown sugar
> 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
>
> lay the biscuits on a cookie sheet or in a pie pan; using a spoon
> or fork, mash the center of the biscuit to create a trough.
> Spread a tablespoon of brown sugar in the trough of each biscuit
> and top with a tablespoon of butter. Place about 3-4 inches below
> broiler and heat until lightly toasted and butter is melted.
> Place in bowl of milk and eat.
>
> If you don't like that; crush the biscuits and use in meatloaf or
> meatballs as filler. Also can be used for breading on pan fried
> chicken or fish.

In My Youth (last Monday HA!)...I would slice them in half...butter the
halves, sprinkle them with sugar and re-assemble. Then eat them like a
sandwich. Perhaps you can use the sandwich idea portion of this idea
with say a flavoured cream cheese or a strawberry puree/dip or
somesuch.

Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Weight from 265 down to 219 lbs. and dropping.
Continuing to be Manitoban
Sarah

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>I have a box of it and may or may not finish eating it. It's really
> disgusting. If I give up on eating it from a bowl with milk and a
> spoon, does it work in cooking anything? Like maybe meatloaf or
> meatballs or something?
> --
> -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 5/8/05.
> "Are we going to measure, or are we going to cook?" -Food Critic Mimi Sheraton

Reminds me of when I got a hamster. (I've just bought another for my 3 1/2 year
old and it's cost me £40 for the cage and stuff and £6 for the hamster!)
Anyway you can get some little bags of hamster treat museli, and my husband
found it in a cupboard, he'd eaten half a bag before I caught him and told him
to read the bag! He was really enjoying it until I pointed out it was hamster
food!
The meatloaf fill sounds a great idea, I think my other half would like it!
Sarah

Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Wayne Boatwright wrote on 28 May 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Do you like beets?

Do I Like Beets?...YES I adore Beets, both the red and the Golden
types.

Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Weight from 265 down to 219 lbs. and dropping.
Continuing to be Manitoban
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 28 May 2005 08:23:27a, Dave Smith wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>

>> > You don't like Shredded Wheat? You're kidding? What is there not to
>> > like about it? I love the stuff. It is the only cold cereal that I
>> > buy. I had it every morning for breakfast for close to 10 years and
>> > never tired of it. I just add some whole milk and dark brown sugar or
>> > honey, and it is great with bananas or berries.

>> Do you like beets?
>>

> Not on Shredded Wheat :-)
> Actually, I don't mind beets, especially fresh from the garden. We never
> have them in the house because they are one of the few things that my
> wife cannot bear to eat.

I just wondered if there was a connection. :-)

You like beets and shredded wheat and I like beets and shredded wheat.
Barb likes neither.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 28 May 2005 08:38:06a, Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote in
rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote on 28 May 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> Do you like beets?
>>

> Do I Like Beets?...YES I adore Beets, both the red and the Golden
> types.

Me, too. Barb likes neither beets nor shredded wheat. Could there be a
connection? :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

projectile vomit chick

Shove one in your panties and use as a sanitary napkin. Bon apetit!

Naomi

x-no-archive: yes

Have youy tried making hot cereal out of it by heating it with milk
(and brown sugar, butter, whatever) in the microwave?

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > I have a box of it and may or may not finish eating it. It's really
> > disgusting. If I give up on eating it from a bowl with milk and a
> > spoon, does it work in cooking anything? Like maybe meatloaf or
> > meatballs or something?

> You don't like Shredded Wheat? You're kidding? What is there not to
> like about it? I love the stuff. It is the only cold cereal that I
> buy. I had it every morning for breakfast for close to 10 years and
> never tired of it. I just add some whole milk and dark brown sugar or
> honey, and it is great with bananas or berries.

It is utterly without taste. Might as well eat soggy cardboard. I can
eat it--and have been for a couple days, but it's boring as hell. I
slice a banana into it and douse it with some fatfree half and half and
some skim milk. These are mini-wheats, by the by.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 5/8/05.
"Are we going to measure, or are we going to cook?" -Food Critic Mimi Sheraton
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> On Sat 28 May 2005 07:59:23a, Dave Smith wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> >> I have a box of it and may or may not finish eating it. It's really
> >> disgusting. If I give up on eating it from a bowl with milk and a
> >> spoon, does it work in cooking anything? Like maybe meatloaf or
> >> meatballs or something?

> > You don't like Shredded Wheat? You're kidding? What is there not to
> > like about it? I love the stuff. It is the only cold cereal that I buy.
> > I had it every morning for breakfast for close to 10 years and never
> > tired of it. I just add some whole milk and dark brown sugar or honey,
> > and it is great with bananas or berries.

> Do you like beets?

You are so-o-o-o cute. :P
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 5/8/05.
"Are we going to measure, or are we going to cook?" -Food Critic Mimi Sheraton

I agree it is totally tasteless. When i have eaten it I have sliced up
some strawberries and blackberries and mixed them through to try and
give it a taste.

Sharon Chilson

I don't like cereal. Never have, not even as a child. Can't stand the
sight of it, nor the taste of it floating around in a bowlful of milk. A
few years back, trying to get healthier, I decided I'd give shredded
wheat a try, but without the milk. What I do is take the 'biscuits' and
dip them in yogurt, eating it like a finger food, like chips 'n dip. It
works for me.

notbob

On 2005-05-28, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> I have a box of it and may or may not finish eating it. It's really
> disgusting.

Are they the large biscuits (about the size of a large bar of hand
soap), or the spoon size? If large biscuits:

Toasted Shredded Wheat

2 large biscuits
4 pats of salted butter
honey
milk

Place two pats butter per biscuit on top of each biscuit. Place under
broiler and toast till butter is melted and biscuits are lightly
browned. Place biscuits in bowl, drizzle with honey, and add milk.

If they are those sugar coated spoon-sized abominations, just toss
'em! ...or maybe smash them up and use them for cat litter.

nb

I tried making it hot, adding sugar some butter and when I took it out
of the microwave I added some honey to it. It was still disgusting!!

Margaret Suran

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>

>>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>

>>>I have a box of it and may or may not finish eating it. It's really
>>>disgusting. If I give up on eating it from a bowl with milk and a
>>>spoon, does it work in cooking anything? Like maybe meatloaf or
>>>meatballs or something?

>>You don't like Shredded Wheat? You're kidding? What is there not to
>>like about it? I love the stuff. It is the only cold cereal that I
>>buy. I had it every morning for breakfast for close to 10 years and
>>never tired of it. I just add some whole milk and dark brown sugar or
>>honey, and it is great with bananas or berries.

> It is utterly without taste. Might as well eat soggy cardboard. I can
> eat it--and have been for a couple days, but it's boring as hell. I
> slice a banana into it and douse it with some fatfree half and half and
> some skim milk. These are mini-wheats, by the by.

The large ones are horrible.
The mini ones are delicious. You just have to race the milk, to see
whether you can eat a few before the milk turns them into a thick
paste. I eat them dry, without anything and they are nice and
crispy-crunchy. What more does one want? Taste? Eat something
tasty, not shredded wheat, if that is what you want.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, notbob
> wrote:

> On 2005-05-28, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> > I have a box of it and may or may not finish eating it. It's really
> > disgusting.

> Are they the large biscuits (about the size of a large bar of hand
> soap), or the spoon size? If large biscuits:

> nb

Spoon size. Unsweetened. Post. Plain. Tasteless. Which is a good
thing -- I won't eat too many at one time. Addition of a sliced banana
helps considerably.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 5/8/05.
"Are we going to measure, or are we going to cook?" -Food Critic Mimi Sheraton

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Margaret Suran
> wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

(snip)
> > It is utterly without taste. Might as well eat soggy cardboard. I can
> > eat it--and have been for a couple days, but it's boring as hell. I
> > slice a banana into it and douse it with some fatfree half and half and
> > some skim milk. These are mini-wheats, by the by.

> The large ones are horrible.
> The mini ones are delicious. You just have to race the milk, to see
> whether you can eat a few before the milk turns them into a thick
> paste. I eat them dry, without anything and they are nice and
> crispy-crunchy. What more does one want? Taste? Eat something
> tasty, not shredded wheat, if that is what you want.

Ezzackly! These are Post brand minis. You and crispycrunchy! LOL!
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 5/8/05.
"Are we going to measure, or are we going to cook?" -Food Critic Mimi Sheraton
Damsel

Monsur Fromage du Pollet > said:

>In My Youth (last Monday HA!)..

Did I miss your birthday??? I can't find it on my 'puter.

Carol

--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States:
Dave Smith

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> > You don't like Shredded Wheat? You're kidding? What is there not to
> > like about it? I love the stuff. It is the only cold cereal that I
> > buy. I had it every morning for breakfast for close to 10 years and
> > never tired of it. I just add some whole milk and dark brown sugar or
> > honey, and it is great with bananas or berries.

> It is utterly without taste. Might as well eat soggy cardboard. I can
> eat it--and have been for a couple days, but it's boring as hell. I
> slice a banana into it and douse it with some fatfree half and half and
> some skim milk. These are mini-wheats, by the by.

Hence the dark brown sugar or honey, rains, bananas or berries. I have to admit
that it seems ironic to me that you object to it being bland and then use fat free
half and half and skim milk. That is a bland additive to accent a blandness of the
Shredded Wheat. AFAIAC most cereals are bland. That's why so many of them are
sugar coated or artificially flavoured. The only cereals that have strong natural
flavours are those with a lot of bran.
..

Pablo

"Margaret Suran" > wrote in message

> The large ones are horrible.
> The mini ones are delicious. You just have to race the milk, to see
> whether you can eat a few before the milk turns them into a thick paste.
> I eat them dry, without anything and they are nice and crispy-crunchy.
> What more does one want? Taste? Eat something tasty, not shredded wheat,
> if that is what you want.

*
I haven't read all of this thread as it just seemed to explode overnight.
Has anyone talked about making the large biscuits with hot water? My mother
pours hot water over hers (after she makes her tea.) then drains off the
water. Then she adds a little butter (which melts from the hot water)
sprinkles it with sugar and adds a little milk. (Sudden thought: the
butter and sugar may be counterproductive to whatever health benefits
someone wants to achieve by eating shredded wheat!) While I can't say I've
ever craved this, I would eat it without complaint if it were the only thing
in the house.

That said, I really like the mini wheats with bits of fruit in the
middle --especially without milk. They make good snacks to give to my
daughter on our commute to or from school.

Pablo

Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Damsel wrote on 28 May 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Monsur Fromage du Pollet > said:
>
> >In My Youth (last Monday HA!)..

> Did I miss your birthday??? I can't find it on my 'puter.
>
> Carol

Yes, you did! I went from 10ish to 50ish in less time than last week!
(Actually it's in June.) Somewhere between the 17th and the 19th.

Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Weight from 265 down to 219 lbs. and dropping.
Continuing to be Manitoban
Damsel

Melba's Jammin' > said:

>Spoon size. Unsweetened. Post. Plain. Tasteless. Which is a good
>thing -- I won't eat too many at one time. Addition of a sliced banana
>helps considerably.

Have you tried sprinkling it with a little Splenda?

Carol

--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States:
http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International:
http://www.thehungersite.com/
Elaine Parrish

On Sat, 28 May 2005, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> I have a box of it and may or may not finish eating it. It's really
> disgusting. If I give up on eating it from a bowl with milk and a
> spoon, does it work in cooking anything? Like maybe meatloaf or
> meatballs or something?
> --
> -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 5/8/05.
> "Are we going to measure, or are we going to cook?" -Food Critic Mimi Sheraton

Hey Barb,

Grind it up in the food processor and use it like bread crumbs wherever
you'd use them. Meatloaf would be ideal.

Elaine, too

notbob

On 2005-05-28, Pablo > wrote:

> Has anyone talked about making the large biscuits with hot water? My mother
> pours hot water over hers (after she makes her tea.) then drains off the
> water. Then she adds a little butter (which melts from the hot water)

[notbob raises his hand, waving frantically ....me, me!]

Geez, I thought I was the only one. When I was in grade school, my
brother and I were babysitted after school by an elderly lady. She
ate the large biscuits this way, sans milk and sugar, on her doctor's
orders. If we got hungary because mom was working late, the lady
would fix shredded wheat for us. It's not as good as the toasted
recipe I posted elsewhere in this thread, but it wasn't half bad.
Let's face it, butter makes just about anything taste good.

nb

Del Cecchi

Spray a little olive oil on it. sprinkle with salt, and toast in the oven.
Presto, Texas Triscuits. :-)

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:

>> > You don't like Shredded Wheat? You're kidding? What is there not to
>> > like about it? I love the stuff. It is the only cold cereal that I
>> > buy.
>> > I had it every morning for breakfast for close to 10 years and never
>> > tired of it. I just add some whole milk and dark brown sugar or honey,
>> > and it is great with bananas or berries.

>> Do you like beets?

> You are so-o-o-o cute. :P
> --
> -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 5/8/05.
> "Are we going to measure, or are we going to cook?" -Food Critic Mimi
> Sheraton

sarah bennett

Dave Smith wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>

>>I have a box of it and may or may not finish eating it. It's really
>>disgusting. If I give up on eating it from a bowl with milk and a
>>spoon, does it work in cooking anything? Like maybe meatloaf or
>>meatballs or something?

> You don't like Shredded Wheat? You're kidding? What is there not to like about
> it? I love the stuff. It is the only cold cereal that I buy. I had it every
> morning for breakfast for close to 10 years and never tired of it. I just add some
> whole milk and dark brown sugar or honey, and it is great with bananas or berries.

back when i was a sugar fiend, i hated the stuff. nowadays, i like it. i
do liek to put a little maple syrup on top, tho. and unhomogenized milk,
if i can get it. mmmm!

--

saerah

aware of the manifold possibilities of the future

"I think there's a clause in the Shaman's and Jujumen's Local #57 Union
contract that they have to have reciprocity for each other's shop rules."
-König Prüß
Dave Smith

Sheryl Rosen wrote:

> I happen to love spoon size shredded wheat, especially with cut up fruit in
> it. Fresh Strawberries are yummy. Canned peaches are fabulous mixed in.
> Fresh blueberries are good, too. Best, imo, is the canned peaches because
> you can add in some of the juice if you want.

I still eat Shredded Wheat after many years of having it for breakfast every
day for years. I never did get tired of the stuff, but a few months ago I
started eating oatmeal for breakfast instead. I never did like the spoon sized
variety. I much prefer the regular stuff.

> It's bland, no question. It's all about the texture for me. I like it.

Best of all, you can alter that texture by eating it faster before it has a
chance to get soggy, letting it get soggy, rinsing it with hot water or hot
milk.

Melba's Jammin'

In article .com>,
"Naomi" > wrote:

> x-no-archive: yes
>
> Have youy tried making hot cereal out of it by heating it with milk
> (and brown sugar, butter, whatever) in the microwave?

No, and let me be one of the first to tell you I think it sounds
disgusting. Ain't gonna be on my plate, Naomi.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 5/8/05.
"Are we going to measure, or are we going to cook?" -Food Critic Mimi Sheraton
Damsel

Dave Smith > said:

>I still eat Shredded Wheat after many years of having it for breakfast every
>day for years. I never did get tired of the stuff, but a few months ago I
>started eating oatmeal for breakfast instead. I never did like the spoon sized
>variety. I much prefer the regular stuff.

The big ones remind me of those gigantic rolls of hay that you see in the
fields at the end of the growing season. Every time I see those, I think
of Shredded Wheat. (I like the bite-sized ones)

Carol

--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States:
http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International:
http://www.thehungersite.com/
Jack Schidt®

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>I have a box of it and may or may not finish eating it. It's really
> disgusting. If I give up on eating it from a bowl with milk and a
> spoon, does it work in cooking anything? Like maybe meatloaf or
> meatballs or something?

It's really good with a garlicky marinara sauce, lemme tell ya.

Jack ______

Damsel

"Jack Schidt®" > said:

JACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome back hugs!
Carol

--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States:
http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International:
http://www.thehungersite.com/
jmcquown

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> I have a box of it and may or may not finish eating it. It's really
> disgusting. If I give up on eating it from a bowl with milk and a
> spoon, does it work in cooking anything? Like maybe meatloaf or
> meatballs or something?

Yep, crush it up and use it like crackers or whatever.

Next time, try Cheerios

Jill