Ada Ma

Default skincare from the kitchen shelf

Do you use anything from the kitchen shelf to care for your skin? Do you, for
example, put olive oil on your skin?

I just started to wonder because on Friday night I had a bath - I ran out a
whole tub of hot water before I realise I had no bath oil in my house, so I used
olive oil (plus lavender oil) instead.

I think marinating myself in olive oil is a cool idea. Many cosmetic companies
use olive oil in their cream (or souffle) anyway, e.g.:

http://www.origins.com/templates/pro... _ID=PROD4416

And they usually have at 2+ types of parabens/preservatives in their creams,
lotions, bath oils, etc., so I can't see why shouldn't I just use cooking oils
straight from the bottle that is cheaper with no added preservatives.

Any other recommendations? I'd love to hear about them and try them out!

Many thanks in advance.

Ada

PENMART01

>: Ada Ma writes:
>
>Do you use anything from the kitchen shelf to care for your skin?
>
>I just started to wonder because on Friday night I had a bath - I ran out a
>whole tub of hot water before I realise I had no bath oil in my house.

Milk.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Levelwave©

PENMART01 wrote:

> Milk.

Yup... we sell milk powder at work for this very same thing...

~john
PENMART01

>PENMART01 wrote:
>
> > Milk.

>Yup... we sell milk powder at work for this very same thing...
>
>~john

Nope... gotta be whole milk... powdered has no butter fat.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

jmcquown

Ada Ma wrote:
> Do you use anything from the kitchen shelf to care for your skin? Do
> you, for
> example, put olive oil on your skin?
>
> I just started to wonder because on Friday night I had a bath - I ran
> out a
> whole tub of hot water before I realise I had no bath oil in my
> house, so I used
> olive oil (plus lavender oil) instead.

Occasionally I get a catalog for skincare products in the mail and it
includes samples of olive oil soap, lotion, etc. I figured, cut out the
middle man and just use olive oil as a facial before going to bed. It
works.

Jill

PENMART01

>Occasionally I get a catalog for skincare products in the mail and it
>includes samples of olive oil soap, lotion, etc. I figured, cut out the
>middle man

I know of an inexpensive facial that includes the man... hehehe

>and just use olive oil as a facial before going to bed. It
>works.
>
>Jill

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

limey

Olive oil can be used on very dry hair. Rub it into the scalp, wrap your
head in a hot towel and leave until the towel cools. Shampoo well!

Julia Altshuler

Ada Ma wrote:
> Do you use anything from the kitchen shelf to care for your skin? Do
> you, for example, put olive oil on your skin?

I've never used olive oil on my skin. I do use aloe vera on kitchen
burns and sunburn. Aloe vera isn't normally used as a flavor ingredient
in cooking, but it is edible. I keep it on my kitchen shelf. Does that
count?

--Lia

kalanamak

I used to scrub my teenage face with cornmeal in some face cream. My
mother told me, in the old days, cornmeal was a "dry shampoo", which you
fluffed in and brushed out. I tried it once, age 14 and it didn't work.
blacksalt
who got an interesting email from an Indian blacksalt dealer today. He's
looking for reps in Thailand.
hahabogus

kalanamak > wrote in :

> cornmeal was a "dry shampoo"

Wasn't it corn starch?

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.

Nancy Young

hahabogus wrote:

> kalanamak > wrote in :
>
> > cornmeal was a "dry shampoo"

> Wasn't it corn starch?

(laugh) That's what I was thinking. At any rate, in times of
desperation, for me it was baby powder.

nancy
hahabogus

Nancy Young > wrote in
:

> hahabogus wrote:
>>
>> kalanamak > wrote in
>> :
>>
>> > cornmeal was a "dry shampoo"

>> Wasn't it corn starch?

> (laugh) That's what I was thinking. At any rate, in times of
> desperation, for me it was baby powder.
>
> nancy

Talcum powder (baby powder) was me first thought...but it isn't a food.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.
Tara

Baking soda mixed with a mild cleanser is a great exfoliator for the
face. Sugar or salt mixed with oil is a wonderful body scrub.

Tara