Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Shelf lives

How reliable is this site regarding the shelf-life of a miriad of foods?
http://www.stilltasty.com/ It is comprehensive but I notice that lots of
food is chucked out unnecessarily early compared to when I was a child.
Graham

--
"Elite sportspeople are a fascinating breed; they are brilliant at what they
do but stupid enough to think it matters."

The plural of "anecdote" is not "data".
Ben Goldacre

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message ...
| How reliable is this site regarding the shelf-life of a miriad of foods?
| http://www.stilltasty.com/ It is comprehensive but I notice that lots of
| food is chucked out unnecessarily early compared to when I was a child.
| Graham

I like it a lot for two reasons: it gives a wide variety of product
condition and packing, and it gives a pretty wide range of safety
times for each product. Smoked salmon, for instance, lists three
types: sliced from the deli, sliced vacuum unopened and sliced
vacuum opened. I've never noticed any times that seemed extreme
on either end of the keep/toss spectrum. In summary, a useful
and comprehensive *guide* to food safety.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pavane" > wrote in message

> "graham" > wrote in message
> | How reliable is this site regarding the shelf-life of a miriad of foods?
> | http://www.stilltasty.com/ It is comprehensive but I notice that lots
> of
> | food is chucked out unnecessarily early compared to when I was a child.
> | Graham
>
> I like it a lot for two reasons: it gives a wide variety of product
> condition and packing, and it gives a pretty wide range of safety
> times for each product. Smoked salmon, for instance, lists three
> types: sliced from the deli, sliced vacuum unopened and sliced
> vacuum opened. I've never noticed any times that seemed extreme
> on either end of the keep/toss spectrum. In summary, a useful
> and comprehensive *guide* to food safety.
>
> pavane

Thanks! I expect there's a little "wiggle room" for some of the items but it
does seem fairly sensible.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
> How reliable is this site regarding the shelf-life of a miriad of foods?
> http://www.stilltasty.com/ It is comprehensive but I notice that lots of
> food is chucked out unnecessarily early compared to when I was a child.
> Graham

My thought also. I'm sure they want to cover their ass, but I've kept many
items in the freezer double their time with no problems. Other items. like
mustard and ketchup are about right.

Does anyone know where Jai Maharaj lives? Cassidy Vegan 3 06-10-2011 06:43 PM
lives to short...... Peter Lucas[_16_] General Cooking 2 02-10-2010 05:43 PM
No Lives Don General Cooking 1 10-02-2009 12:04 PM
Ma Lives! Melba's Jammin' Preserving 0 14-10-2008 03:09 AM
Julia lives. Michael L Kankiewicz General Cooking 5 04-03-2006 05:07 PM