State

Default Perogies

Any ideas on what to do or how to serve blueberry filled perogies? Package
just suggests boiling them? I was hoping for a crunchy texture, could I
toast them in the oven? would they crisp?

TheCatinTX

Pan fried?
Lorne Epp

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 13:57:32 +1000, august

:

>|| Any ideas on what to do or how to serve blueberry filled perogies? Package
>|| just suggests boiling them? I was hoping for a crunchy texture, could I
>|| toast them in the oven? would they crisp?
>What is a perogie, please?

It's a dumpling-like thing, usually stuffed with some combination of
cheese, potatoes, and/or sauerkraut. Good, filling, comfort food,
delicious with sour cream and bacon.

I've never heard of blueberry-filled perogies, but I guess that's a
sweet variant of the regular thing. Perogies are never crisp, in my
experience. I think any attempt to make them crisp is going to end in
some kind of failure.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Lorne Epp
> wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 13:57:32 +1000, august
> > wrote:
> >What is a perogie, please?

> It's a dumpling-like thing, usually stuffed with some combination of
> cheese, potatoes, and/or sauerkraut. Good, filling, comfort food,
> delicious with sour cream and bacon.
>
> I've never heard of blueberry-filled perogies, but I guess that's a
> sweet variant of the regular thing. Perogies are never crisp, in my
> experience. I think any attempt to make them crisp is going to end in
> some kind of failure.

Also done with sour cherries. And prunes or lekvar (a mashed prune
filling). They *can* be baked, though I don't have experience with
baking fruit-filled ones.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-29-04.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Wayne
Boatwright > wrote:

> august > wrote in
> :
> > Like a Pastie?

> No, the dough is more like that of ravioli. They are never baked

Yeah, they sometimes are, Wayne. Not my idea of a good time, but it is
done.

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-29-04.
Kate Connally

State wrote:

> Any ideas on what to do or how to serve blueberry filled perogies? Package
> just suggests boiling them? I was hoping for a crunchy texture, could I
> toast them in the oven? would they crisp?

That depends on whether they have already been
boiled or not. If they are totally uncooked (raw)
then you have to boil them first. Some people then
eat them with butter and onions (if they are
potato or some other savory filling) or for the
fruit ones I guess just butter and maybe some sour
cream. Now if they are already cooked (normally
boiled) then you can just thaw them and pan fry
them in butter or re-boil them to heat them.

I'm not sure how you would do them in the oven.
I would think that if you just put them on a greased
cookie sheet and bake them till they brown that the
dough would get too hard and tough. For a crispy
exterior I would recommend frying them in butter.

Kate
--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Kate Connally

:

:
> > || > ||

> > || > ||

> > Thank you - I learned a lot from there.

> > They look delicious!

> Glad to be of help and enlightenment to you, Augie. Probably the most
> important thng to remember is that the meet, right, and salutary shape
> for them is triangular. Don't ever let anyone try to tell you
> otherwise, especially if he's from Germany and thinks he knows
> everything. "-)

Augie, Don't believe a thing Barb says! The only proper shape
for a pierog is half-moon-shaped.

Barb, you know I luv ya but you are the Satan of pierogi
making.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

hahabogus

Kate Connally > wrote in
:

> I'm not sure how you would do them in the oven.
> I would think that if you just put them on a greased
> cookie sheet and bake them till they brown that the
> dough would get too hard and tough. For a crispy
> exterior I would recommend frying them in butter.
>
> Kate

I make a perogi casserole ...layer of perogies then some onions, crumbled
cooked bacon, sour cream...Repeat layering till pan is almost full...top
last layer of perogies with the dreaded mushroom soup for sauce. Quite good
..

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, hahabogus
> wrote:

> Kate Connally > wrote in
> :
>
> > I'm not sure how you would do them in the oven.
> > I would think that if you just put them on a greased
> > cookie sheet and bake them till they brown that the
> > dough would get too hard and tough. For a crispy
> > exterior I would recommend frying them in butter.
> >
> > Kate

> I make a perogi casserole ...layer of perogies then some onions, crumbled
> cooked bacon, sour cream...Repeat layering till pan is almost full...top
> last layer of perogies with the dreaded mushroom soup for sauce. Quite
> good
> .

I can't believe it. That's almost as bad as some "quick pierogi
casserole" or "mock pierogi casserole" recipes I've seen that amount to
layers of lasagne noodles and mashed potatoes, topped with melted
butter. Maybe worse.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-29-04.

Victor Sack

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Glad to be of help and enlightenment to you, Augie. Probably the most
> important thng to remember is that the meet, right, and salutary shape
> for them is triangular.

Define "them", please.

The thing to remember, Augie, is that Barb The Barbarian has no idea at
all of the shape, or anything else, of pirohy/pierogi, etc. She has
never once made them. What she does make, is ushki/uzski (literally
'little ears') which are indeed supposed to be triangular. Except hers
are anything but little, but are elephant-sized and just as flat.
Shameful! Also, she fries 'em! Unspeakable!

Having recently tasted 'em, I do concede that she makes the most tasty
potato-filled giant ears and that her cottage cheese- (shameful, again -
should be farmer's cheese!) and sauerkraut-filled ones are not bad at
all, either.

> Don't ever let anyone try to tell you
> otherwise,

Indeed, ignore trying, pay attention to telling!

> especially if he's from Germany and thinks he knows
> everything. "-)

Bubba
who is from Germany and knows everything
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
(Victor Sack) wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > Glad to be of help and enlightenment to you, Augie. Probably the most
> > important thng to remember is that the meet, right, and salutary shape
> > for them is triangular.

> Define "them", please.
>
> The thing to remember, Augie, is that Barb The Barbarian has no idea at
> all of the shape, or anything else, of pirohy/pierogi, etc. She has
> never once made them.

You are SO full of crap.

> What she does make, is ushki/uzski (literally 'little ears') which
> are indeed supposed to be triangular. Except hers are anything but
> little, but are elephant-sized and just as flat. Shameful! Also, she
> fries 'em! Unspeakable!

Unspeakable, eh? But, but, but, you keep speaking about it, Bubba.

Lissen, Bubba, I make them the way I was taught -- by my EUROPEAN-born
mother who learned from HER EUROPEAN-born mother.

> Having recently tasted 'em, I do concede that she makes the most tasty
> potato-filled giant ears and that her cottage cheese- (shameful, again -
> should be farmer's cheese!)

Bite me.

and sauerkraut-filled ones are not bad at all, either.

> > Don't ever let anyone try to tell you otherwise,

> Indeed, ignore trying, pay attention to telling!

See my first remark above -- about how full of crap you are.

> > especially if he's from Germany and thinks he knows everything.
> > "-)

> Bubba
> who is from Germany and knows everything

LOL!! I love a good joke!! :-P
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-29-04.

Frozen perogies Ruddell General Cooking 42 07-02-2005 10:41 PM
perogies? tintalle General Cooking 53 28-08-2004 11:50 PM
Spelt perogies Bubbablue General Cooking 7 12-04-2004 04:38 AM