Ruddell

Default Frozen perogies

Ok, what to do with them? I've boiled them and I've fried them and just
can't get any decent results. Mushy or tough isn't the options I was
looking for. What can be done with them?

--
Cheers

Dennis

Remove 'Elle-Kabong' to reply
MJ

try boiling them first until they float and then fry them in butter and
onions. When you use both methods you get better results.
Good Luck!
"Ruddell" > wrote in message

> Ok, what to do with them? I've boiled them and I've fried them and just
> can't get any decent results. Mushy or tough isn't the options I was
> looking for. What can be done with them?
>

> --
> Cheers
>
> Dennis
>
> Remove 'Elle-Kabong' to reply

sandy

I drop mine from frozen in deep fryer,,,,,dip in ketchup.
"MJ" > wrote in message
.. .
> try boiling them first until they float and then fry them in butter and
> onions. When you use both methods you get better results.
> Good Luck!
> "Ruddell" > wrote in message
>>
>> Ok, what to do with them? I've boiled them and I've fried them and just
>> can't get any decent results. Mushy or tough isn't the options I was
>> looking for. What can be done with them?
>>

>> --
>> Cheers
>>
>> Dennis
>>
>> Remove 'Elle-Kabong' to reply

MJ

sour cream and green onions are the best

"sandy" > wrote in message
> I drop mine from frozen in deep fryer,,,,,dip in ketchup.
> "MJ" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > try boiling them first until they float and then fry them in butter and
> > onions. When you use both methods you get better results.
> > Good Luck!
> > "Ruddell" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> Ok, what to do with them? I've boiled them and I've fried them and

just
> >> can't get any decent results. Mushy or tough isn't the options I was
> >> looking for. What can be done with them?
> >>

> >> --
> >> Cheers
> >>
> >> Dennis
> >>
> >> Remove 'Elle-Kabong' to reply

Arri London

Ruddell wrote:

> Ok, what to do with them? I've boiled them and I've fried them and just
> can't get any decent results. Mushy or tough isn't the options I was
> looking for. What can be done with them?
>
> --
> Cheers
>
> Dennis

We had some for lunch today!
Boil them until just tender then saute them in butter with minced onion.
Will be neither mushy nor tough.

Jude

I cook them like potstickers......first I brown them in a little oil,
then add water and cover them and let them steam until tender. While
they are cooking, I saute some veggies and shred some cheese. Out of
the pan, topped with veggies and cheese, they make a wonderful
vegetarian dinner.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Ruddell
> wrote:

> Ok, what to do with them? I've boiled them and I've fried them and just
> can't get any decent results. Mushy or tough isn't the options I was
> looking for. What can be done with them?

What *are* you looking for? Are these uncooked when you're working with
them? Frozen? Fresh? I make mine from scratch and boil them, toss
with butter and fried onions, and eat. That they are a kind of noodle
means that there will be some 'tooth' to them. I can't imagine mushy
pirohy. For storage, I bag the cooked and buttered pirohy and freeze
them in packages of six. Thaw and brown lightly in butter and serve on
your finest china -- they deserve it. I'm not from a background wherein
they're deep-fried to cook them.
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com>; Tater Tot Hotdish and Jam Class pics added 2-2-05
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Arri London >
wrote:

> Ruddell wrote:
> >
> > Ok, what to do with them? I've boiled them and I've fried them and just
> > can't get any decent results. Mushy or tough isn't the options I was
> > looking for. What can be done with them?

> We had some for lunch today!

Arri, do you make your own?
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com>; Tater Tot Hotdish and Jam Class pics added 2-2-05
"I got the motive, which is money; and the body, which is dead!" - Rod
Steiger as Sheriff Gillespie, "In the Heat of the Night," 1967.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "sandy"
> wrote:
> I drop mine from frozen in deep fryer,,,,,dip in ketchup.

> > "Ruddell" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> Ok, what to do with them? I've boiled them and I've fried them
> >> and just can't get any decent results. Mushy or tough isn't the
> >> options I was looking for. What can be done with them?

<hyperventilating> That whirring sound you hear is my mother spinning in
her grave. Ketchup. On pirohy. Deep fried. Well, I never. . .
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com>; Tater Tot Hotdish and Jam Class pics added 2-2-05
"I got the motive, which is money; and the body, which is dead!" - Rod
Steiger as Sheriff Gillespie, "In the Heat of the Night," 1967.
Melba's Jammin'

In article .com>,
"Jude" > wrote:

> I cook them like potstickers......first I brown them in a little oil,
> then add water and cover them and let them steam until tender.

Fresh or frozen? Raw or previously cooked? Inquiring Mind wants to
know.
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com>; Tater Tot Hotdish and Jam Class pics added 2-2-05
"I got the motive, which is money; and the body, which is dead!" - Rod
Steiger as Sheriff Gillespie, "In the Heat of the Night," 1967.

George

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, Ruddell
> > wrote:
>

>>Ok, what to do with them? I've boiled them and I've fried them and just
>>can't get any decent results. Mushy or tough isn't the options I was
>>looking for. What can be done with them?

> What *are* you looking for? Are these uncooked when you're working with
> them? Frozen? Fresh? I make mine from scratch and boil them, toss
> with butter and fried onions, and eat. That they are a kind of noodle
> means that there will be some 'tooth' to them. I can't imagine mushy
> pirohy. For storage, I bag the cooked and buttered pirohy and freeze
> them in packages of six. Thaw and brown lightly in butter and serve on
> your finest china -- they deserve it. I'm not from a background wherein
> they're deep-fried to cook them.

That seems to be a common industrial method used in school cafeterias.
Which leads to the catsup commonly squirted on fried things.

It is hard to beat the home made version served as you described.
MareCat

"MJ" > wrote in message
.. .
> try boiling them first until they float and then fry them in butter and
> onions. When you use both methods you get better results.

I do that and serve them with a sauce made from an onion soup reduction
mixed with sour cream. YUM!!

Mary

Jude

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "Jude" > wrote:
>
> > I cook them like potstickers......first I brown them in a little

oil,
> > then add water and cover them and let them steam until tender.

> Fresh or frozen? Raw or previously cooked? Inquiring Mind wants to
> know.
> --
> -Barb

Frozen. The pre-made kind from the grocery store. I'm not sure if
they're precooked, and I don't have any right now, sorry. I think the
brand I use is called Mrs. K's or Mrs Somebody's!

Jude

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "Jude" > wrote:
>
> > I cook them like potstickers......first I brown them in a little

oil,
> > then add water and cover them and let them steam until tender.

> Fresh or frozen? Raw or previously cooked? Inquiring Mind wants to
> know.
> --
> -Barb

Frozen. The pre-made kind from the grocery store. I'm not sure if
they're precooked, and I don't have any right now, sorry. I think the
brand I use is called Mrs. K's or Mrs Somebody's!

Nancy Young

"Jude" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Frozen. The pre-made kind from the grocery store. I'm not sure if
> they're precooked, and I don't have any right now, sorry. I think the
> brand I use is called Mrs. K's or Mrs Somebody's!

Mrs. T's ... turned me off pierogi for life.

nancy

Victor Sack

Ruddell > wrote:

> Ok, what to do with them? I've boiled them and I've fried them and just
> can't get any decent results. Mushy or tough isn't the options I was
> looking for. What can be done with them?

What kind of pierogi? Did you make them yourself? Well-made, correctly
cooked pierogi are neither mushy, nor tough. Correctly cooked, BTW,
means boiled until they float, plus a minute or two. Not fried. No one
in any of the 'old countries' fries 'em by default. If you want real,
traditional pierogi, boil 'em. If you want fried potstickers, make kao
tse or age-gyoza.

Victor
Dave Smith

Nancy Young wrote:

> > Frozen. The pre-made kind from the grocery store. I'm not sure if
> > they're precooked, and I don't have any right now, sorry. I think the
> > brand I use is called Mrs. K's or Mrs Somebody's!

> Mrs. T's ... turned me off pierogi for life.

I know what you mean. I have tried some commercially prepared perogies and
there ain't nothing that can make them good. We used to be able to get them
at a local Polish butcher shop. They came on little plastic trays, a dozen
per tray. They were smeared with butter. We just let them thaw and then
fried them in a pan with some onion or onions and bacon and they were
fantastic. Of course the best at the freshly home made variety. We have a
neighbour of Polish and Ukrainian descent, and whenever she has a party
(which is often), she makes many dozens of them. They are fantastic.

George

Dave Smith wrote:

>Mrs. T's ... turned me off pierogi for life.
>>

> I know what you mean. I have tried some commercially prepared perogies and
> there ain't nothing that can make them good. We used to be able to get them
> at a local Polish butcher shop. They came on little plastic trays, a dozen
> per tray. They were smeared with butter. We just let them thaw and then
> fried them in a pan with some onion or onions and bacon and they were
> fantastic. Of course the best at the freshly home made variety. We have a
> neighbour of Polish and Ukrainian descent, and whenever she has a party
> (which is often), she makes many dozens of them. They are fantastic.

Agree about the commercial ones. We don't live very far from the
Mrs T's factory and there isn't much you can do to make them more than
"industrial" quality.

There is a local shop like you mentioned called something like "Pops
Pierogies". It is one of the last places I know to get good pierogies.

But sometimes the local shop thing doesn't even work anymore because
people have become so used to "space food". There is a nearby town that
has a large population of people of Polish ancestry. My buddy said "you
have to go there to this little shop on Main St and get the homemade
pierogi"

I was nearby and stopped for lunch. They used "space potatoes" to fill
the potato pierogies. Yuck!
Arri London

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, Arri London >
> wrote:
>
> > Ruddell wrote:
> > >
> > > Ok, what to do with them? I've boiled them and I've fried them and just
> > > can't get any decent results. Mushy or tough isn't the options I was
> > > looking for. What can be done with them?

> > We had some for lunch today!

> Arri, do you make your own?
> --
> -Barb

I didn't make this lot. Have made them in the past though.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, George
> wrote:
(snip)
> Agree about the commercial ones. We don't live very far from the Mrs
> T's factory and there isn't much you can do to make them more than
> "industrial" quality.

> There is a local shop like you mentioned called something like "Pops
> Pierogies". It is one of the last places I know to get good pierogies.

Lower Manhattan? We missed it, Bubba Vic!
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com>; Tater Tot Hotdish and Jam Class pics added 2-2-05
"I got the motive, which is money; and the body, which is dead!" - Rod
Steiger as Sheriff Gillespie, "In the Heat of the Night," 1967.

Victor Sack

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >, George
> > wrote:
> (snip)
>
> > There is a local shop like you mentioned called something like "Pops
> > Pierogies". It is one of the last places I know to get good pierogies.

> Lower Manhattan?

Yes, W. Village.

> We missed it, Bubba Vic!

Yes, and it's a damn shame! They offer Polish pierogi, Russian pelmeni
and pirozhki, Georgian chebureki, khinkali and khachapuri, Uzbek samsa,
Azerbaijani kutaby, etc., all with various and sundry fillings. There
are also some soups, including your beloved beety borscht. Ah!

Bubba
Margaret Suran

Victor Sack wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>

>>In article >, George
> wrote:
>>(snip)
>>

>>>There is a local shop like you mentioned called something like "Pops
>>>Pierogies". It is one of the last places I know to get good pierogies.

>>Lower Manhattan?

> Yes, W. Village.
>

>> We missed it, Bubba Vic!

> Yes, and it's a damn shame! They offer Polish pierogi, Russian pelmeni
> and pirozhki, Georgian chebureki, khinkali and khachapuri, Uzbek samsa,
> Azerbaijani kutaby, etc., all with various and sundry fillings. There
> are also some soups, including your beloved beety borscht. Ah!
>
> Bubba

The place is on 190 Bleeker Street. I keep planning to go there, but
have never done so. (

If I can push myself out the door today. I may go there and get some
for tomorrow's Super Bowl dinner. Of course, Marcel does not eat
pierogis and if I don't invite him, I will have to eat them all
myself. Not such a bad thought. )

George

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, George
> > wrote:
> (snip)
>
>>Agree about the commercial ones. We don't live very far from the Mrs
>>T's factory and there isn't much you can do to make them more than
>>"industrial" quality.

>>There is a local shop like you mentioned called something like "Pops
>>Pierogies". It is one of the last places I know to get good pierogies.

> Lower Manhattan? We missed it, Bubba Vic!

No, 2 states over. But I will be in Manhattan next week and will check
out the one in the West Village as noted further along in the thread.
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 05 Feb 2005 08:55:37a, Dog3 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> This thread is making me drool. Don't go without me. Has anyone made them
> with kraut?
>
> Michael

I'm pretty sure Barb makes them with kraut.

Wayne
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Dog3
> wrote:
> > Now I'm craving pierogies.

> This thread is making me drool. Don't go without me. Has anyone made
> them with kraut?
> Michael

You mean besides me? :-)
I had a note from Rona -- she made potato-filled pirohy yesterday.
Perfectly triangular they are, too, Bubba . :-p
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com>; Tater Tot Hotdish and Jam Class pics added 2-2-05
"I got the motive, which is money; and the body, which is dead!" - Rod
Steiger as Sheriff Gillespie, "In the Heat of the Night," 1967.
Dave Smith

Dog3 wrote:

> > Now I'm craving pierogies.

> This thread is making me drool. Don't go without me. Has anyone made them
> with kraut?

My introduction to perogies was the home cooking of the mother of a friend of
mine who made the with sauerkraut. It set the standard for me.

Victor Sack

Margaret Suran > wrote:

> Victor Sack wrote:

[Pop's Pierogi]
> > They offer Polish pierogi, Russian pelmeni
> > and pirozhki, Georgian chebureki, khinkali and khachapuri, Uzbek samsa,
> > Azerbaijani kutaby, etc., all with various and sundry fillings. There
> > are also some soups, including your beloved beety borscht. Ah!

> The place is on 190 Bleeker Street. I keep planning to go there, but
> have never done so. (
>
> If I can push myself out the door today. I may go there and get some
> for tomorrow's Super Bowl dinner. Of course, Marcel does not eat
> pierogis and if I don't invite him, I will have to eat them all
> myself. Not such a bad thought. )

You can get very good pierogi at that little hole-in-the-wall Ukrainian
place on 1st Ave. I'm ashamed to confess that we forgot the ones you
bought us in the freezer in our apartment. :-((( When we returned to
Texas, I was tempted to turn around and fly back to NY to pick them
up...

So, at Pop's Pierogi it is better to get what they are most familiar
with, namely pelmeni (Siberian, for preference). If you are going to
take them home, try to get them to sell you frozen pelmeni, which you
can then boil at your leisure. The same applies to khinkali. You can
also get pirozki (little pies, meat-filled for preference) which can
also be eaten cold. As to chebureki and kutaby, they are best eaten
freshly-made, in situ. They are also kinds of savoury pies, not
dumplings. Also, they are large and flat - one or two constitute a
serving. Perhaps Marcel will like them - take him along.

Bubba
Victor Sack

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> I had a note from Rona -- she made potato-filled pirohy yesterday.
> Perfectly triangular they are, too, Bubba . :-p

Eternal shame on her!

Bubba

George

Dog3 wrote:

>>>This thread is making me drool. Don't go without me. Has anyone made
>>>them with kraut?
>>>Michael

>>You mean besides me? :-)
>>I had a note from Rona -- she made potato-filled pirohy yesterday.
>>Perfectly triangular they are, too, Bubba . :-p

> Do you put anything else besides the kraut in them?
>
> Michael

My aunt was the pierogie maker in my family. She made the filling by
sauteing the kraut with onions, chopped mushrooms and black pepper. I
think she probably used bacon or pork fat.

She also made a version with maybe 50-50 kraut and chopped cabbage.

George

Dog3 wrote:

>>My aunt was the pierogie maker in my family. She made the filling by
>>sauteing the kraut with onions, chopped mushrooms and black pepper. I
>>think she probably used bacon or pork fat.
>>
>>She also made a version with maybe 50-50 kraut and chopped cabbage.

> Oh Gawd that sounds delicious. All you people and killing me over here with
> these mouth watering fixings.
>
> Michael

Then there were the sweet versions. We used to pick wild blueberries and
she would make incredible blueberry filled pierogies.
Margaret Suran

Victor Sack wrote:
> Margaret Suran > wrote:
>

> [Pop's Pierogi]
>

> You can get very good pierogi at that little hole-in-the-wall
> Ukrainian place on 1st Ave. I'm ashamed to confess that we forgot
> the ones you bought us in the freezer in our apartment. :-(((
> When we returned to Texas, I was tempted to turn around and fly
> back to NY to pick them up...
>
> So, at Pop's Pierogi it is better to get what they are most
> familiar with, namely pelmeni (Siberian, for preference). If you
> are going to take them home, try to get them to sell you frozen
> pelmeni, which you can then boil at your leisure. The same applies
> to khinkali. You can also get pirozki (little pies, meat-filled
> for preference) which can also be eaten cold. As to chebureki and
> kutaby, they are best eaten freshly-made, in situ. They are also
> kinds of savoury pies, not dumplings. Also, they are large and
> flat - one or two constitute a serving. Perhaps Marcel will like
> them - take him along.

The Tripe Soup was what I liked best from that little Ukrainian Place.
The pierogis were nice, but the dough was not as good as the one
that Barbara makes.

I will go to Pop's as soon as a find the time.

As for forgetting the ones in the freezer, I believe you already told
me about it. Even if you had remembered to take them, they would be
long gone by now. ) You probably have some good places in
Duesseldorf for Pierogis and such other delicacies. M

nadiarosina

Sheryl Rosen wrote:
> Margaret Suran at lid wrote on 2/5/05

8:54 AM:

> > Victor Sack wrote:

"Pops

pierogies.

> >> Yes, W. Village.

> >> Yes, and it's a damn shame! They offer Polish pierogi, Russian

pelmeni
> >> and pirozhki, Georgian chebureki, khinkali and khachapuri, Uzbek

samsa,
> >> Azerbaijani kutaby, etc., all with various and sundry fillings.

There
> >> are also some soups, including your beloved beety borscht. Ah!
> >>
> >> Bubba

> > The place is on 190 Bleeker Street. I keep planning to go there,

but
> > have never done so. (
> >
> > If I can push myself out the door today. I may go there and get

some
> > for tomorrow's Super Bowl dinner. Of course, Marcel does not eat
> > pierogis and if I don't invite him, I will have to eat them all
> > myself. Not such a bad thought. )
> >

> I would love to help you eat pierogies, Margaret.
> DIdn't we go to a pierogi palace on First Avenue, not far from the

Veselka
> Coffee Shop, somewhere in the teens? Those were delicious!
>
> Now I'm craving pierogies.

on first avenue in the village there is christine's and teresa's. both
make excellent pierogies, whichever way you like them.

Margaret Suran

nadiarosina wrote:

> on first avenue in the village there is christine's and teresa's. both
> make excellent pierogies, whichever way you like them.

Thank You, I have eaten at Christine's, but that was many years ago.
I have never been to Teresa's, but I certainly may eat there, if the
opportunity arises. If I do, I will report back to all. M

Victor Sack

Margaret Suran > wrote:

> The Tripe Soup was what I liked best from that little Ukrainian Place.
> The pierogis were nice, but the dough was not as good as the one
> that Barbara makes.

Barb doesn't make 'em with meat. Anyway, she is not in any way
deserving, especially not of that very tasty tripe soup. Whenever you
turned, she was fishing out pieces of tripe from her plate and putting
them into yours. Such an uncouth and even scandalous behaviour, don't
you agree? Especially, as she could have been putting those pieces just
as easily in *my* plate instead!

> As for forgetting the ones in the freezer, I believe you already told
> me about it. Even if you had remembered to take them, they would be
> long gone by now. ) You probably have some good places in
> Duesseldorf for Pierogis and such other delicacies. M

Unfortunately, not. There is not a single Polish restaurant in
Düsseldorf or vicinity, the nearest one being in Aachen. There is one
Russian restaurant here and another that is Russian-Caucasian, but their
pelmeni are not very good, resembling the ones we had at the Russian
Samovar. They may or may not be home-made, but they definitely taste
like an industrial product.

BTW, I shall never forgive you for cheating me out of a check at that
restaurant.
For those still not familiar with Margaret, I officially declare her to
be thoroughly dishonourable and untrustworthy. I was the one who
invited her and all the others in our party to the restaurant, with the
implied understanding that I would be paying for the dinner. Yet, when
the bill came, Margaret as always insisted on paying it, got out a
credit card and tried to hand it to the waitress. Just in time, I
lunged forward and got hold of her card. A long, hard, violent and
bloody struggle ensued, but the forces of goodness finally prevailed and
I managed to confiscate her card, with bits of her nails and skin still
clinging to it. Exhausted, I settled back to catch my breath. Quick as
a lightning, Margaret drew out *another* card and handed it to a passing
waiter, leaving me with no chance to do anything. Sneaky and shameful,
simply shameful! Just ask Barb, one of the witnesses.

Bubba
Margaret Suran

Dog3 wrote:
> Margaret Suran > wrote in
> :
>

>>Dog3 wrote:
>>
>>>Melba's Jammin' > wrote in

>>>Do you put anything else besides the kraut in them?
>>>

>>Michael, after you eat Barbara's pierogi, even though they are
>>triangular, you will be disappointed in most others. Her dough melts
>>in your mouth and the fillings are very special.
>>
>>Does she put anything besides the kraut in them, you ask. Just part
>>of herself, the little secret ingredient called "love".

> You are both very similar in the 'love' aspect. I adore you both. Now Barb
> will have to make pierogi for the next brunch, if you have one.
> Michael

Start working on Barbara to make the trip again. As often as she can
make it here, that is how often I will have a brunch in her honor.

She does not have to bring pierogi, just herself. ) As for you,
Marcel casa will be you casa, of course.

Margaret Suran

Victor Sack wrote:
> Margaret Suran > wrote

You probably have some good places in
>> Duesseldorf for Pierogis and such other delicacies. M

> Unfortunately, not. There is not a single Polish restaurant in
> Düsseldorf.

> BTW, I shall never forgive you for cheating me out of a check at
> that restaurant. For those still not familiar with Margaret, I
> officially declare her to be thoroughly dishonourable and
> untrustworthy. I was the one who invited her and all the others in
> our party to the restaurant, with the implied understanding that I
> would be paying for the dinner. Yet, when the bill came, Margaret
> as always insisted on paying it, got out a credit card and tried to
> hand it to the waitress. Just in time, I lunged forward and got
> hold of her card. A long, hard, violent and bloody struggle
> ensued, but the forces of goodness finally prevailed and I managed
> to confiscate her card, with bits of her nails and skin still
> clinging to it. Exhausted, I settled back to catch my breath.
> Quick as a lightning, Margaret drew out *another* card and handed
> it to a passing waiter, leaving me with no chance to do anything.
> Sneaky and shameful, simply shameful! Just ask Barb, one of the
> witnesses.

Bubba, Marcel and I had to do it in self defense. Up to that point
you had taken care of every restaurant bill.

Bubba, I miss you very much. But this is something I will discuss
away from the news group, it is of no interest to anybody else.

Tomorrow is Fasching. Do people in Germany and Austria still eat
Faschingskrapfen for this holiday? Here, starting with Lent, Hot
Cross Buns will be featured in all the neighborhood bakeries. M

Frozen hamburger - frozen/raw ??? Sky General Cooking 44 27-02-2013 07:52 AM
What to make with frozen shrimp, frozen spinach, and bacon Steve Freides[_2_] General Cooking 28 24-05-2012 01:29 AM
perogies? tintalle General Cooking 53 28-08-2004 11:50 PM
Perogies State General Cooking 17 22-04-2004 02:22 PM
Spelt perogies Bubbablue General Cooking 7 12-04-2004 04:38 AM