jmcquown

Default Salmon Patties/Croquettes

Please share with me your favourite recipes for Salmon Patties/Croquettes.
Bolivar gave me a recipe for croquettes last month which I have not tried
yet; he was still trying to settle on a sauce. IIRC he baked them in fish
shaped cast iron "muffin moulds" which sounded like fun!

BTW, to my mind they are "croquettes" if they are sauced, patties if they
are not. I'd prefer oven-baked or lightly oven-fried (i.e. brush some oil
on the baking pan as opposed to pan-fried in oil). But I'm asking for your
fav's so anything goes

Jill

kilikini

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
.. .
> Please share with me your favourite recipes for Salmon Patties/Croquettes.
> Bolivar gave me a recipe for croquettes last month which I have not tried
> yet; he was still trying to settle on a sauce. IIRC he baked them in fish
> shaped cast iron "muffin moulds" which sounded like fun!
>
> BTW, to my mind they are "croquettes" if they are sauced, patties if they
> are not. I'd prefer oven-baked or lightly oven-fried (i.e. brush some oil
> on the baking pan as opposed to pan-fried in oil). But I'm asking for

your
> fav's so anything goes
>
> Jill

Salmon patties are easy, Jill! Shred up some salmon (or get the canned),
add a touch of mayo, worceteshire (sp?) sauce, lemon, dill, egg, crackers or
breadcrumbs, chopped and sauteed onion, garlic and form it all into a
pattie. Then you can either dip the pattie into panko crumbs and fry or
leave as is and either bake or sautee. Anything goes (but it all kind of
tastes the same); can also be done with tuna.

kili

PENMART01

>"jmcquown" > wrote:
>> Please share with me your favourite recipes for Salmon Patties/Croquettes.
>> Bolivar gave me a recipe for croquettes last month which I have not tried
>> yet; he was still trying to settle on a sauce. IIRC he baked them in fish
>> shaped cast iron "muffin moulds" which sounded like fun!
>>
>> BTW, to my mind they are "croquettes" if they are sauced, patties if they
>> are not.

To me they are croquettes if made from canned salmon... made from fresh salmon
they're salmon cakes. Croquettes are okay but I much prefer grinding my own
salmon and making cakes.... sometimes I use fresh ground salmon to make salmon
loaf. Naturally with salmon you want a mild sauce, perhaps a bit of white
pepper and dillweed, a simple white sauce, garnished with pistachios and
chopped hard egg yolk.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

jmcquown

kilikini wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> Please share with me your favourite recipes for Salmon
>> Patties/Croquettes.

(snip)
>> Jill

> Salmon patties are easy, Jill! Shred up some salmon (or get the
> canned), add a touch of mayo, worceteshire (sp?) sauce, lemon, dill,
> egg, crackers or breadcrumbs, chopped and sauteed onion, garlic and
> form it all into a pattie. Then you can either dip the pattie into
> panko crumbs and fry or leave as is and either bake or sautee.
> Anything goes (but it all kind of tastes the same); can also be done
> with tuna.
>
> kili

Oh I know they are easy... I'm interested in your recipes. See, the one I
love is a bit unconventional. Rather than crackers or breadcrumbs it calls
for crushed up corn chips or tortilla chips. Sour cream instead of mayo.

Jill

alzelt

jmcquown wrote:

> Please share with me your favourite recipes for Salmon Patties/Croquettes.
> Bolivar gave me a recipe for croquettes last month which I have not tried
> yet; he was still trying to settle on a sauce. IIRC he baked them in fish
> shaped cast iron "muffin moulds" which sounded like fun!
>
> BTW, to my mind they are "croquettes" if they are sauced, patties if they
> are not. I'd prefer oven-baked or lightly oven-fried (i.e. brush some oil
> on the baking pan as opposed to pan-fried in oil). But I'm asking for your
> fav's so anything goes
>
> Jill

Although these are fried in oil, the amount of oil used is truly up to
each person. I use minimal oil and non-stick surface. They are the
"house" patties. It helps to have a steady supply of fresh salmon in our
neighborhood.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pan-Fried Fresh Salmon Cakes

Recipe By : Cooks Illustrated
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Dinner Fish
Lunch Main Dish
Sandwich Seafood

1 1/4 pounds salmon fillet
1 slice high-quality white sandwich bread -- such as
Pepperidge
Farm,
crusts removed and white part chopped
very fine (about 5 tablespoons)
2 T mayonnaise
1/4 cup finely grated onion
2 T. chopped fresh parsley leaves
3/4 t salt
1 1/2 T. juice from 1 lemon
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 large eggs
1 1/2 t. plus ˝ vegetable oil
1/4 cup plain dried bread crumbs -- preferably panko

1. Locate and remove any pin bones from salmon flesh. Using sharp
knife, cut flesh off skin, then discard skin. Chop salmon flesh into
1/4 to 1/3-inch pieces and mix with chopped bread, mayonnaise, onion,
parsley, salt, and lemon juice in medium bowl. Scoop a generous 1/4-cup
portion salmon mixture from bowl and use hands to form into a patty
measuring roughly 2-1/2 inches in diameter and 3/4 inch thick; place on
parchment-lined baking sheet and repeat with remaining salmon mixture
until you have 8 patties. Place patties in freezer until surface
moisture has evaporated, about 15 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, spread flour in pie plate or shallow baking dish. Beat
eggs with 1-1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil and 1-1/2 teaspoons water in
second pie plate or shallow baking dish, and spread bread crumbs in a
third. Dip chilled salmon patties in flour to cover; shake off excess.
Transfer to beaten egg and, using slotted spatula, turn to coat; let
excess drip off. Transfer to bread crumbs; shake pan to coat patties
completely. Return now-breaded patties to baking sheet.

3. Heat remaining 1/2 cup vegetable oil in large, heavy-bottomed skillet
over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking, about 3 minutes;
add salmon patties and cook until medium golden brown, about 2 minutes.
Flip cakes over and continue cooking until medium golden brown on second
side, about 2 minutes longer. Transfer cakes to plate lined with paper
towels to absorb excess oil on surface, if desired, about 30 seconds,
and then serve immediately, with the creamy lemon herb dipping sauce, if
you like.

Creamy Lemon Herb Dipping Sauce
Makes generous 1/2 cup

1/2 cup mayonnaise
2-1/2 T. juice from 1 lemon
1 T. minced fresh parsley leave
1 T. minced fresh thyme leaves
1 large scallion, white and green part, minced
1/2 t. salt
Ground black pepper

Mix all ingredients in small bowl; season to taste with ground black
pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and chill until flavors blend, at least
30 minutes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : The key is the use of fresh, chopped salmon…and not overcooking the
cakes. A big wedge of lemon is the simplest accompaniment to salmon
cakes, but
if you decide to go with dipping sauce, make it before preparing the
cakes so the sauce flavors have time to meld. If possible, use panko
(Japanese bread crumbs).

--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

jmcquown

alzelt wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Please share with me your favourite recipes for Salmon
>> Patties/Croquettes.

(snip)
>> Jill
>>

> Although these are fried in oil, the amount of oil used is truly up to
> each person. I use minimal oil and non-stick surface. They are the
> "house" patties. It helps to have a steady supply of fresh salmon in
> our neighborhood.

I have some frozen salmon fillets from when I ordered the 'cedar planked'
kit, which I still haven't used BTW. I did order extra salmon. Can't get
fresh salmon in Memphis, only frozen or canned.

Thanks for the recipe, Alan... sounds like one to save

Jill

> [...]
> Makes generous 1/2 cup
>
> 1/2 cup mayonnaise
> 2-1/2 T. juice from 1 lemon
> 1 T. minced fresh parsley leave
> 1 T. minced fresh thyme leaves
> 1 large scallion, white and green part, minced
> 1/2 t. salt
> Ground black pepper
>

> Mix all ingredients in small bowl; season to taste with ground black
> pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and chill until flavors blend, at
> least 30 minutes.
>

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> NOTES : The key is the use of fresh, chopped salmon…and not
> overcooking the cakes. A big wedge of lemon is the simplest
> accompaniment to salmon
> cakes, but
> if you decide to go with dipping sauce, make it before preparing the
> cakes so the sauce flavors have time to meld. If possible, use panko

MOM PEAGRAM

* Exported from MasterCook *

Helen's Salmon Fish Cakes

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Fish Main

-----MM BY HELEN PEAGRAM-----
1 Egg, lightly beaten
1 c Day-old seasoned mashed
Potatoes
7 3/4 oz Salmon, drained and flaked
1 tb Fresh lemon juice
1 d Hot sauce
1/8 ts Paprika
1 t Very finely chopped onions
1/4 ts Salt
1/8 ts Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 c Dried bread crumbs
-----COATING-----
1 Egg, beaten
1/2 c Bread crumbs

Combine one beaten egg with the potatoes, salmon, lemon juice, onions,
salt, black pepper, hot sauce and paprika in a mixing bowl.

Mix gently so as not to mash the salmon.

Add about one-fourth cup of the bread crumbs to the mixture and again
mix gently.

The mixture should be able to hold together so that you can form the
mixture into balls or patties.

Form the mixture into two-inch patties using metal icecream scoop as
measure.

Dip the balls in the remaining beaten egg, and then dredge them in the
remaining one-half cup of bread crumbs.

Chill the croquettes in the rerfrigerator for at least one hour.

Heat some oil in a deep frying pan.

fry fishcakes for about five minutes, or until they are golden brown.
Drain on paper towels. Serve warm. Makes six fishcakes.

May be kept warm in oven.

Excellent!

Recipe by H Peagram

Note: tried recipe using crab on 10/09/01 and I didn't like the
results.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 75 Calories; 1g Fat (10.4% calories
from fat); 2g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol;
1744mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1/2
Fruit; 0 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
.. .
> Please share with me your favourite recipes for Salmon Patties/Croquettes.
> Bolivar gave me a recipe for croquettes last month which I have not tried
> yet; he was still trying to settle on a sauce. IIRC he baked them in fish
> shaped cast iron "muffin moulds" which sounded like fun!
>
> BTW, to my mind they are "croquettes" if they are sauced, patties if they
> are not. I'd prefer oven-baked or lightly oven-fried (i.e. brush some oil
> on the baking pan as opposed to pan-fried in oil). But I'm asking for

your
> fav's so anything goes
>
> Jill

jmcquown

Top posting to "preserve" the recipe. I never would have thought of
leftover mashed potatoes - I will have to try that, thanks Helen. I usually
just make mashed potato pancakes from leftover mashed 'taters or use them as
a topping to a cottage pie

Jill

MOM PEAGRAM wrote:
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Helen's Salmon Fish Cakes
>
> Recipe By :
> Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Fish Main

> -----MM BY HELEN PEAGRAM-----
> 1 Egg, lightly beaten
> 1 c Day-old seasoned mashed
> Potatoes
> 7 3/4 oz Salmon, drained and flaked
> 1 tb Fresh lemon juice
> 1 d Hot sauce
> 1/8 ts Paprika
> 1 t Very finely chopped onions
> 1/4 ts Salt
> 1/8 ts Freshly ground black pepper
> 1/4 c Dried bread crumbs
> -----COATING-----
> 1 Egg, beaten
> 1/2 c Bread crumbs
>
> Combine one beaten egg with the potatoes, salmon, lemon juice,
> onions, salt, black pepper, hot sauce and paprika in a mixing bowl.
>
> Mix gently so as not to mash the salmon.
>
> Add about one-fourth cup of the bread crumbs to the mixture and
> again mix gently.
>
> The mixture should be able to hold together so that you can form the
> mixture into balls or patties.
>
> Form the mixture into two-inch patties using metal icecream scoop as
> measure.
>
> Dip the balls in the remaining beaten egg, and then dredge them in
> the remaining one-half cup of bread crumbs.
>
> Chill the croquettes in the rerfrigerator for at least one hour.
>
> Heat some oil in a deep frying pan.
>
> fry fishcakes for about five minutes, or until they are golden
> brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm. Makes six fishcakes.
>
> May be kept warm in oven.
>
> Excellent!
>
> Recipe by H Peagram
>
> Note: tried recipe using crab on 10/09/01 and I didn't like the
> results.
>

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> - -
>
> Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 75 Calories; 1g Fat (10.4%
> calories from fat); 2g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
> 0mg Cholesterol; 1744mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
> Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 0 Fat.
>

> Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
>

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> Please share with me your favourite recipes for Salmon
>> Patties/Croquettes. Bolivar gave me a recipe for croquettes last
>> month which I have not tried yet; he was still trying to settle on a
>> sauce. IIRC he baked them in fish shaped cast iron "muffin moulds"
>> which sounded like fun!
>>
>> BTW, to my mind they are "croquettes" if they are sauced, patties if
>> they are not. I'd prefer oven-baked or lightly oven-fried (i.e.
>> brush some oil on the baking pan as opposed to pan-fried in oil).
>> But I'm asking for your fav's so anything goes
>>
>> Jill

MOM PEAGRAM

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> Top posting to "preserve" the recipe. I never would have thought of
> leftover mashed potatoes - I will have to try that, thanks Helen. I

usually
> just make mashed potato pancakes from leftover mashed 'taters or use them

as
> a topping to a cottage pie
>
> Jill

My hubby is more British than I. He would use leftovers for all that, but,
I don't like the taste of reheated cold mashed potatoes, so he gets them
all. ; ))

jmcquown

MOM PEAGRAM wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Top posting to "preserve" the recipe. I never would have thought of
>> leftover mashed potatoes - I will have to try that, thanks Helen. I
>> usually just make mashed potato pancakes from leftover mashed
>> 'taters or use them as a topping to a cottage pie
>>
>> Jill

> My hubby is more British than I. He would use leftovers for all
> that, but, I don't like the taste of reheated cold mashed potatoes,
> so he gets them all. ; ))

Apparently I'm more British (Scots) than I am American... I love a good
cottage pie and mashed potato pancakes. I don't eat cold mashed potatoes,
but my mom (Christina Douglas Brown McQuown) does!

Jill

MOM PEAGRAM

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> MOM PEAGRAM wrote:
> > "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> > . ..
> >> Top posting to "preserve" the recipe. I never would have thought of
> >> leftover mashed potatoes - I will have to try that, thanks Helen. I
> >> usually just make mashed potato pancakes from leftover mashed
> >> 'taters or use them as a topping to a cottage pie
> >>
> >> Jill

> > My hubby is more British than I. He would use leftovers for all
> > that, but, I don't like the taste of reheated cold mashed potatoes,
> > so he gets them all. ; ))

> Apparently I'm more British (Scots) than I am American... I love a good
> cottage pie and mashed potato pancakes. I don't eat cold mashed potatoes,
> but my mom (Christina Douglas Brown McQuown) does!
>
> Jill

I suppose I'm more Scots than English, but If I can help it I don't eat
leftover potatoes. Even for hash browns I'll nuke a potato in the oven
first but not use cold ones.

RMiller

>Please share with me your favourite recipes for Salmon Patties/Croquettes.
>Bolivar gave me a recipe for croquettes last month which I have not tried
>yet; he was still trying to settle on a sauce. IIRC he baked them in fish
>shaped cast iron "muffin moulds" which sounded like fun!
>
>BTW, to my mind they are "croquettes" if they are sauced, patties if they
>are not. I'd prefer oven-baked or lightly oven-fried (i.e. brush some oil
>on the baking pan as opposed to pan-fried in oil). But I'm asking for your
>fav's so anything goes
>
>Jill

Jill, you will probably get a dozen different ways to make salmon patties,
Mine are pretty standard, but I make sure to use left-- over fresh salmon ,
not the canned stuff and plenty of parsley, chopped red onion, little dab of
mayo,an egg, salt and pepper, flour them . let them sit awhile then saute in
a little olive oil.

Rosie