SPOONS

Default Easter no bake desserts??? Any suggestions?

Hi all,

I'm going to visit my inlaws for this Easter weekend away and I always
bring them baked goods. But my oven isn't working at all so I'm thinking of
making some sort of no bake dessert but something that can travel wel, since
i's a 5 hours drive.

Got any suggestions?

Take care,
SPOONS

kilikini

"SPOONS" > wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm going to visit my inlaws for this Easter weekend away and I always
> bring them baked goods. But my oven isn't working at all so I'm thinking

of
> making some sort of no bake dessert but something that can travel wel,

since
> i's a 5 hours drive.
>
> Got any suggestions?
>

> Take care,
> SPOONS

Go to the neighbor's and borrow their oven? Seriously, you are posting a
good question!

kili

SPOONS

Hi Kili,

I thought of asking my neighbor but she works all day and I don't feel
comfortable to use her oven when she's not home or to use it at night after
she gets home, she's tired & I don't want to bother her.

Take care,
SPOONS

> Go to the neighbor's and borrow their oven? Seriously, you are posting a
> good question!
>
> kili

N.

I've made lemon curd tarts with blueberries using store-bought graham
cracker crust tarts. If you want it really easy, mix a jar of lemon curd
with a small tub of mascarpone cheese, then spoon into the tarts and top
with blueberries (optional, of course). Very easy and tasty. Tastes even
better when you make the lemon curd yourself. Lemon-flavoured desserts are
very Easter-y, right? It's something you'd have to keep it cool/chilled
during the ride somehow, though.

N.

"SPOONS" > wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm going to visit my inlaws for this Easter weekend away and I always
> bring them baked goods. But my oven isn't working at all so I'm thinking

of
> making some sort of no bake dessert but something that can travel wel,

since
> i's a 5 hours drive.

Dimitri

"SPOONS" > wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm going to visit my inlaws for this Easter weekend away and I always
> bring them baked goods. But my oven isn't working at all so I'm thinking

of
> making some sort of no bake dessert but something that can travel wel,

since
> i's a 5 hours drive.
>
> Got any suggestions?
>

> Take care,
> SPOONS

1.NO-BAKE CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE

1 1/2 c. Hershey's semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 (3 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. butter or margarine, softened
2 c. frozen non-dairy whipped topping, thawed
8" (6 oz.) packaged graham cracker crumb crust

Microwave Directions: In small microwave-safe bowl place chocolate chips.
Microwave at High (100%) 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until chips are melted and
mixture is smooth when stirred. Set aside to cool. In large mixer bowl
beat cream cheese, sugar and butter until smooth. On low speed blend in
melted chocolate. Fold in whipped topping until blended; spoon into crust.
Cover; chill until firm. Garnish as desired. About 8 servings.

2.SIMPLE NO BAKE CHEESE CAKE

1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese
1 c. confectioners sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 pt. whipping cream
Keebler graham cracker pie shell
Choose your own toppings: fresh strawberries, blueberries, etc.

Whip cream, set aside. Beat everything else together. Fold together whip
cream and mixture. Add to pie shell and chill for 1 hour. Top as desired.

3. Chocolate cream pie

Assemble it there.

;-)

Dimitri

Becca

Fruit salad is good, if you can keep it chilled. I would probably pick
up some desserts at a bakery.

Becca

hahabogus

"SPOONS" > wrote in
le.rogers.com:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm going to visit my inlaws for this Easter weekend away and I
> always bring them baked goods. But my oven isn't working at all so
> I'm thinking of making some sort of no bake dessert but something that
> can travel wel, since i's a 5 hours drive.
>
> Got any suggestions?
>

> Take care,
> SPOONS

Assemble the ingredients for a flan...or do a trifle. probably spelled that
wrong...you know that crumbled cake squares, custard, sliced fresh fruits,
booze (optional), whipped cream dealie layered in a very high sided
glass/plastic bowl. break a cake up, brush with booze put in bowl next
comes a layer of custard, then sliced fruit (macerated
strawberries, kiwi,rasberries... whatever)then whipped cream repeat as
necessary...some recipes call for a layer of jello as well.

both flan cakes and trifle cake can be purchased cakes. Both dishes would
travel well if chilled and assembled on arrival.

A pound cake with melted apricot jam as a sauce served on top of ice cream.
Toasted Cake works best.

I posted a dreamsicle pie recipe...takes less than 15 minutes to make but
needs at least 4 hrs in a fridge to set up a while ago in 2002 or 2003.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
Nexis

"SPOONS" > wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm going to visit my inlaws for this Easter weekend away and I always
> bring them baked goods. But my oven isn't working at all so I'm thinking

of
> making some sort of no bake dessert but something that can travel wel,

since
> i's a 5 hours drive.
>
> Got any suggestions?
>

> Take care,
> SPOONS

Wow, that really limits you, eh? I mean, a no bake, non frozen
dessert...hmmm....

How about making a pie that uses a cookie crums or graham crust? Banana
cream or coconut cream maybe? One really good one that my sister makes is a
graham crust, brushed with chocolate on the bottom and filled with coconut
custard, then topped with toasted coconut. A good cooler is all you'd need
to get it there in good shape. You can also do it in a rectangular pan to
make it fit the cooler better.

Otherwise...there's always a good fruit salad!

kimberly

Kajikit

SPOONS had something important to tell us on Wed, 07 Apr 2004 19:47:31
GMT:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm going to visit my inlaws for this Easter weekend away and I always
>bring them baked goods. But my oven isn't working at all so I'm thinking of
>making some sort of no bake dessert but something that can travel wel, since
>i's a 5 hours drive.
>
>Got any suggestions?

Make a cheesecake (non-baked of course) and use a crushed nut-crust.

Alternatively make a jumbo batch of rumballs...

--
~Karen AKA Kajikit
Lover of shiny things...

Made as of 2 April 2004 - 61 cards, 28 SB pages (plus 2 small giftbooks), 52 decos & more!

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com

joebee

"Nexis" > wrote in message news:zi3dc.66$Va4.58@fed1read01...

> "SPOONS" > wrote in message
> le.rogers.com...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm going to visit my inlaws for this Easter weekend away and I always
> > bring them baked goods. But my oven isn't working at all so I'm

thinking
> of
> > making some sort of no bake dessert but something that can travel wel,

> since
> > i's a 5 hours drive.
> >
> > Got any suggestions?
> >

> > Take care,
> > SPOONS
> >

> Wow, that really limits you, eh? I mean, a no bake, non frozen
> dessert...hmmm....
>
> How about making a pie that uses a cookie crums or graham crust? Banana
> cream or coconut cream maybe? One really good one that my sister makes is

> graham crust, brushed with chocolate on the bottom and filled with coconut
> custard, then topped with toasted coconut. A good cooler is all you'd need
> to get it there in good shape. You can also do it in a rectangular pan to
> make it fit the cooler better.
>
> Otherwise...there's always a good fruit salad!
>
> kimberly

Try good old aussie hot cross buns, need to bake though. We here in Oz in
our bakeries are going hell for leather making them, I don't suppose you
have them there, so here is the recipe, thanks to
http://www.abc.net.au/goulburnmurray...es/s828899.htm

Hot Cross Buns

This recipe was featured in Late Afternoons, Happy Easter!

Serves 18 Buns

Degree of difficulty: Medium

Preparation Time: 1 1/2 hours

Cooking Time: 15 minutes

You need:

Hot Cross Buns

1/4 cup milk
1/3 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
2 packages of active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
3 eggs
4 cups sifted flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup of currants
1 egg white
1 teaspoon cold water

Frosting
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons softened margarine or butter
1 - 2 Tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Method:

Hot Cross Buns

Scald milk in a small saucepan. Add sugar and shortening and cool till
lukewarm

Dissolve salt in the water

Add eggs, yeast mixture, 1 cup flour, cinammon and mix

Stir in currants and remaining flour

Beat well to make a soft dough

Place in lightly greased bowl

Cover and let rise until just about doubled

Roll dough into a 1/2 inch thickness

Cut in rounds with a biscuit cutter or bottom of glass

Pat the shapes to bun like shape and place on greased baking dish

Allow to rise until almost doubled for an hour

With a sharp knife cut a cross into the surface of each bun

Brush tops with unbeaten egg white mixed with cold water

Bake in a 375 degree oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown

Cool on racks for about five minutes

Fill in crosses with frosting

Frosting for Hot Cross Buns

Combine all ingredients and mix well until smooth

Enjoy

Leftover Potential: If lucky maybe some left for the Easter Bunny!

SportKite1

>From: "SPOONS"

>I'm going to visit my inlaws for this Easter weekend away and I always
>bring them baked goods. But my oven isn't working at all so I'm thinking of
>making some sort of no bake dessert but something that can travel wel, since
>i's a 5 hours drive.
>
>Got any suggestions?
>

>Take care,
>SPOONS

When you get to town pick up some strawberries, whipping cream and some sort of
cake (pound, angel or plain spong) and make strawberry shortcake. Bring a box
of chocolates to round out the sweets.

Ellen

Tara

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 19:47:31 GMT, "SPOONS"
> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm going to visit my inlaws for this Easter weekend away and I always
>bring them baked goods. But my oven isn't working at all so I'm thinking of
>making some sort of no bake dessert but something that can travel wel, since
>i's a 5 hours drive.

Banana pudding, if you can keep it chilled during the drive.

Tara
jacqui{JB}

[piggybacking due to poor propagation]

"SPOONS" > wrote in message
le.rogers.com...

> > I'm going to visit my inlaws for this Easter
> > weekend away and I always bring them
> > baked goods. But my oven isn't working
> > at all so I'm thinking of making some sort
> > of no bake dessert but something that can
> > travel well, since it's a 5 hours drive.

Rice crispie treats -- quick, simple and one of those childhood
goodies that's still really good.

-j

HiTech RedNeck

"SPOONS" > wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm going to visit my inlaws for this Easter weekend away and I always
> bring them baked goods. But my oven isn't working at all so I'm thinking

of
> making some sort of no bake dessert but something that can travel wel,

since
> i's a 5 hours drive.

Does your stovetop and electric mixer still work? Make some divinity candy.

Nancy Young

SPOONS wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm going to visit my inlaws for this Easter weekend away and I always
> bring them baked goods. But my oven isn't working at all so I'm thinking of
> making some sort of no bake dessert but something that can travel wel, since
> i's a 5 hours drive.

I keep thinking, don't they have a good bakery somewhere between your
place and theirs? At any rate, how about a homemade chocolate cream
pie, not the kind with the chocolate jello pudding mix, but real. You
can put the whipped cream on when you get there.

nancy
hahabogus

Nancy Young > wrote in
:

> SPOONS wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm going to visit my inlaws for this Easter weekend away and I
>> always bring them baked goods. But my oven isn't working at all so
>> I'm thinking of making some sort of no bake dessert but something
>> that can travel wel, since i's a 5 hours drive.

> I keep thinking, don't they have a good bakery somewhere between your
> place and theirs? At any rate, how about a homemade chocolate cream
> pie, not the kind with the chocolate jello pudding mix, but real. You
> can put the whipped cream on when you get there.
>
> nancy

If you remember to take the pie off the roof of the car after unlocking the
car door...and not drive away with the pie on the car roof.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.
Nancy Young

hahabogus wrote:

> Nancy Young > wrote in

> > I keep thinking, don't they have a good bakery somewhere between your
> > place and theirs? At any rate, how about a homemade chocolate cream
> > pie, not the kind with the chocolate jello pudding mix, but real. You
> > can put the whipped cream on when you get there.

> If you remember to take the pie off the roof of the car after unlocking the
> car door...and not drive away with the pie on the car roof.

(laugh!) Hey, I didn't do that, a friend of mine did.

nancy