Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Two desserts in a day!

It's not often that I make dessert of any kind. And when I do it is usually
either baked apples or apple crisp which I usually make just to use up
apples. So, I did make apple crisp. I am trying to use up not only old
food but food that I won't eat because husband and daughter will be on
vacation. I look forward to buying very little food then and mainly using
up the pantry food. I may buy lettuce and a few other produce items and
some bread. That will be it.

I am also trying a pineapple upside-down cake. I started with Alton's
recipe but made some changes. I only had low fat milk, I needed to use up
the whole wheat pastry flour. Still have a lot of that to use up. But I
have about a month to do that. Did not have pineapple rings, pecans or
enough brown sugar. I used some raw sugar to make up for some of the brown,
crushed pineapple and walnuts. I toyed with the idea of adding coconut
since I have a lot of that but what I have is big pieces and it's
unsweetened. Oh yeah, the pineapple was unsweetened too so I added a little
more sugar and cooked the pineapple in the butter and sugar. Also am baking
in a square pan as I don't have an appropriate skillet.

I'm not sure if I ever made an upside-down cake before. I likely did as a
kid as I made at least a cake a week back then and it just looks like the
sort of thing I'd like to make. Not the sort of thing my family would eat
but... I never let that stop me. In those days everyone on our street
baked or make candies and we were always taking things to each other.

These days nobody seems to do that much any more. Our neighbor baked us
chocolate chip cookies when our house was robbed. Then when her van was hit
by a drunk driver, we took her a basket of assorted chocolates. It was
around Easter and we were still doing gluten free so I didn't really have
any baking ingredients.

It's also the custom on this block to take flowers to new people who move
in. Not sure who started that. And when I do have plenty of produce from
my yard/garden, I will take that around. Doesn't look like I'll have much
of anything this year. If the cherries produced, I missed it. But the tree
is pruned so that I can't reach anything. My favorite pear tree has been
pruned waaay back so no pears this year. The Bartlett has only a few which
is a good thing because it had gotten some sort of disease. Don't see any
apples this year. I think the trees are all getting very old.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> It's not often that I make dessert of any kind. And when I do it is usually
> either baked apples or apple crisp which I usually make just to use up
> apples. So, I did make apple crisp.

how is it possible for you to make anything with apples? all that
peeling and no way to clean the utensil used nor any proper way to
dispose of the peelings?

Wow US Desserts!!! Ophelia[_14_] General Cooking 290 14-04-2016 12:10 AM
REC: Low fat desserts #1 PeterLucas[_5_] General Cooking 0 24-01-2009 06:03 AM
low cal desserts [email protected] General Cooking 5 17-03-2007 01:29 PM
Just Desserts? nemo Vegan 0 09-01-2006 10:00 AM
desserts???? stephen schuler Vegan 4 30-10-2003 10:26 AM