Dennis Hostter

Default chilli

looking for chili recesipes

JimLane

Dennis Hostter wrote:
> looking for chili recesipes

Google it and you'll find thousands of them.

Pull this group up in groups.goggle.com and search and you'll find many
more.

Simple.

jim
Damsel in dis Dress

A little birdie told me that (Dennis Hostter) said:

>looking for chili recesipes

Black beans are SO much better than kidney beans. You can make a direct
substitution in any recipe.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Damsel's Midwestern Black Bean Chili

Recipe By amsel in dis Dress
Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : stews/chilis

16 ounces dried black beans -- rinsed and sorted
1 pound ground beef
1 pound beef stew meat -- 1/2" cubes
1 medium onion -- finely chopped
1 medium green pepper -- finely chopped
1 clove garlic -- finely minced
28 ounces crushed tomatoes
5 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
water -- as needed

Rinse and sort the beans. Place into a 3-quart saucepan with 2 quarts of
water. Bring to a boil, and remove from heat. Let stand for one hour.
Drain; add fresh water, and bring to a second boil. Reduce heat and simmer
for one hour. Drain.

Coat stew meat with a small amount of flour. While beans are cooking,
brown ground beef and stew meat in a 4-quart saucepan (start the ground
beef first, so there is some fat in the pan to keep the stew meat from
sticking). When meat is browned, add the onion and green pepper. Cook
until the onion is translucent. Drain off any excess fat. Add garlic,
tomatoes, and spices. Simmer until beans are ready. Add beans and water,
if needed. Cook until beans are desired texture. Adjust seasonings if
needed.

Serve with crackers and shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese.

Yield:
"4 quarts"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 256 Calories (kcal); 11g Total Fat; (37% calories from fat);
18g Protein; 23g Carbohydrate; 40mg Cholesterol; 244mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 Fat;
0 Other Carbohydrates
--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
sf

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 14:59:56 -0700, JimLane wrote:

> Dennis Hostter wrote:
> > looking for chili recesipes
> >

> Google it and you'll find thousands of them.
>
> Pull this group up in groups.goggle.com and search and you'll find many
> more.
>
> Simple.

But first Google has to correct his spelling.
JimLane

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 14:59:56 -0700, JimLane wrote:
>

>> Dennis Hostter wrote:
>> > looking for chili recesipes
>> >

>> Google it and you'll find thousands of them.
>>
>> Pull this group up in groups.goggle.com and search and you'll find many
>> more.
>>
>> Simple.
>>

> But first Google has to correct his spelling.

It will ask him what he really wants and hook 'em up. BTW, you'll find
recipes no matter what the spelling.

jim

Steve Pope

JimLane > wrote:

>sf wrote:

>> But first Google has to correct his spelling.

>It will ask him what he really wants and hook 'em up. BTW, you'll find
>recipes no matter what the spelling.

One of my favorite hot sauces, some Halal stuff from Pakistan,
says "chilli sauce" on the bottle. "Shrangri-La" brand. It's
the real thing too so maybe the rest of us are spelling it wrong.

Steve
Arri London

Steve Pope wrote:

> JimLane > wrote:
>
> >sf wrote:

> >> But first Google has to correct his spelling.

> >It will ask him what he really wants and hook 'em up. BTW, you'll find
> >recipes no matter what the spelling.

> One of my favorite hot sauces, some Halal stuff from Pakistan,
> says "chilli sauce" on the bottle. "Shrangri-La" brand. It's
> the real thing too so maybe the rest of us are spelling it wrong.
>
> Steve

LOL that is the UK English (hence Colonial) spelling.
Day Dreamer

I started a thread on chili recently, too - and alot of great sounding
recipes were posted. Here`s mine again.
2 pounds ground beef
One 29-ounce can tomato sauce
One 29-ounce can kidney beans (with liquid) One 29-ounce can pinto beans
(with liquid) 1 cup diced onion (1 medium onion)
1/2 cup diced green chili (2 chilies)
1/4 cup diced celery (1 stalk)
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
2 teaspoons cumin powder
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups water
1. Brown the ground beef in a skillet over medium heat; drain off the
fat.
2. Using a fork, crumble the cooked beef into pea-size pieces.
3. In a large pot, combine the beef plus all the remaining ingredients,
and bring to a simmer over low heat. Cook, stirring every 15 minutes,
for 2 to 3 hours.
Makes about 12 servings.For spicier chili, add 1/2 teaspoon more black
pepper.
For much spicier chili, add 1 teaspoon black pepper and a tablespoon
cayenne pepper.
And for a real stomach stinger, add 5 or 6 sliced jalapeno peppers to
the pot.
Leftovers can be frozen for several months

sf

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 20:02:16 -0700, JimLane wrote:

> you'll find recipes no matter what the spelling.

Ain't that the truth!
sf

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 16:07:28 -0600, Arri London wrote:

> LOL that is the UK English (hence Colonial) spelling.

Since when is "recesipes" was a UK spelling?

Arri London

sf wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 16:07:28 -0600, Arri London wrote:
>
> > LOL that is the UK English (hence Colonial) spelling.

> Since when is "recesipes" was a UK spelling?

ROTFL if you'd posted the message to which I was replying, you might
have noticed the word under discussion was 'chilli' and not 'recesipes'.
sf

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:17:55 -0600, Arri London wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 16:07:28 -0600, Arri London wrote:
> >
> > > LOL that is the UK English (hence Colonial) spelling.

> > Since when is "recesipes" was a UK spelling?

> ROTFL if you'd posted the message to which I was replying, you might
> have noticed the word under discussion was 'chilli' and not 'recesipes'.

I was talking about "recesipes" when I make the spellcheck comment,
"Arri".
Shaun aRe

"Day Dreamer" > wrote in message
> I started a thread on chili recently, too - and alot of great sounding
> recipes were posted. Here`s mine again.
> 2 pounds ground beef
> One 29-ounce can tomato sauce
> One 29-ounce can kidney beans (with liquid) One 29-ounce can pinto beans
> (with liquid) 1 cup diced onion (1 medium onion)
> 1/2 cup diced green chili (2 chilies)
> 1/4 cup diced celery (1 stalk)
> 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
> 2 teaspoons cumin powder
> 3 tablespoons chili powder
> 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
> 2 teaspoons salt
> 2 cups water

You don't use oregano too?

One of my favourite chilli recipes involves substituting about 1/4 or even
less, of the ground beef, with ground lamb - really adds some great depth to
the flavour without it tasting like a lamb chilli.

Shaun aRe

Shaun aRe

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
. com...
> "Shaun aRe" > wrote in message
> eenews.net...
> >
> > "Day Dreamer" > wrote in message
> >
> > From: (Shaun aRe)
> >
> >>You don't use oregano too?

> > "No.............should I?"
> >
> > Well, it's 'usually' in there with the cumin in the recipes I've seen,
> > and,
> > it goes really well with the other flavours IMO.
> >
> >>One of my favourite chilli recipes involves
> >> substituting about 1/4 or even less, of the
> >> ground beef, with ground lamb - really adds
> >> some great depth to the flavour without it
> >> tasting like a lamb chilli.

> > "Sounds interesting. I`ve never eaten lamb, so I have no idea of what

the
> > taste is."
> >
> > Really? Where are you from? - Just curious, as I really don't know

anyone
> > who's a meat eater that hasn't had lamb - it's delicious!
> >

> Yes - but it is also easily ruined. If you get lamb that's a bit too old
> (not stale, just too old an animal) or if it is overcooked then it can be
> really bad. A lot of people have been turned off lamb by a couple of bad
> experiences early on.

Shame!

Old lamb, mutton or on its way there should be cooked with liquid, slowly,
like any tough cut of meat. Perfect candidate for a slow cooker IMO. Mutton
isn't usually cooked, or certainly not best cooked, as a whole cut of meat -
better in small pieces or as ground meat, cooked into a stew or broth.

Young tender lamb - yup - not nice if it's overcooked, but then again,
neither is a nice tender cut of beef! Ever had overcooked topside/silverside
roast? Like eating cardboard, bloody looks like cardboard too, heheheh...

Cheers!

Shaun aRe
--
May all your wishes be both wise and fulfilled.

Dave Smith

Day Dreamer wrote:

> >>Jesus wept! How deprived can you get?
> >> Time to send World Vision to your aid! ;-)
> >>Mind you, you're not as badly off as the poor
> >> buggers who have never eaten pig.

> My goodness. Well, I guess if I`m missing THAT much, I`d better get some
> lamb. Of course, then I`ll be back here with a dozen questions of how to
> cook it

Lamb is a funny thing. People seem to love it or hate it. I had it once when
I was a kid. My father was quite vocal about his dislike of lamb (mutton in
his mind) and my mother's presentation was not great. I was re-introduced
to it in my 20's by my wife and I joined the "love it" camp. My favourite
is BBQed loin chops. I just rub them with garlic and slather some mint
sauce and olive oil on them about an hour ahead of cooking, then do them on
the grill until they are pink. I love roast leg of lamb, lamb stew, braised
lamb shanks. I would rather have lamb than beef, and BBQed chops over beef
steaks any day.

Day Dreamer

>Lamb is a funny thing. People seem to love it
> or hate it.

Heh. Guess there are alot of foods like that. For example, last week I
had tasted anchovies (on pizza) for the very first time in my life. I
thought it was one of the most vile things I had ever tasted. It wasn`t
anything like I expected (I had always heard how salty it was). It
didn`t seem particularly salty, just really oily and fishy and putrid.
Some people love it, though. I can`t imagine why - unless these were bad
or something? I don`t think I`d ever try it again.

Dave Smith

Day Dreamer wrote:

> Heh. Guess there are alot of foods like that. For example, last week I
> had tasted anchovies (on pizza) for the very first time in my life. I
> thought it was one of the most vile things I had ever tasted. It wasn`t
> anything like I expected (I had always heard how salty it was).

Count me among those who will gladly spend the rest of my life without
needing to eat anchovies. Maybe it's because I am a lamb lover that I don't
think lamb is as extreme a case as anchovies :-)

> It
> didn`t seem particularly salty, just really oily and fishy and putrid.
> Some people love it, though. I can`t imagine why - unless these were bad
> or something? I don`t think I`d ever try it again.

Fish, oily and salty? That pretty much sums up anchovies for me. However,
I had had anchovies in some dishes in which they are an essential
ingredient. I have had them on pizza too, and I honestly don't understand
how anyone ever got the idea that anchovies would be good on pizza. Or
pineapple .

Serene

Day Dreamer > wrote:

> Heh. Guess there are alot of foods like that. For example, last week I
> had tasted anchovies (on pizza) for the very first time in my life. I
> thought it was one of the most vile things I had ever tasted. It wasn`t
> anything like I expected (I had always heard how salty it was). It
> didn`t seem particularly salty, just really oily and fishy and putrid.
> Some people love it, though. I can`t imagine why - unless these were bad
> or something? I don`t think I`d ever try it again.

I can eat anchovies right out of the can. Yumma.

Long, long ago, when I worked at Pizza Hut, we made our own pizzas for
ourselves, naturally. I loved the one we dreamed up with salami,
anchovies, and the juice from the pickled jalapenos. Mmmmmm, delicious.

serene
--
http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
http://www.jhuger.com
Shaun aRe

"Day Dreamer" > wrote in message

> >Lamb is a funny thing. People seem to love it
> > or hate it.

> Heh. Guess there are alot of foods like that. For example, last week I
> had tasted anchovies (on pizza) for the very first time in my life. I
> thought it was one of the most vile things I had ever tasted. It wasn`t
> anything like I expected (I had always heard how salty it was). It
> didn`t seem particularly salty, just really oily and fishy and putrid.
> Some people love it, though. I can`t imagine why - unless these were bad
> or something? I don`t think I`d ever try it again.

Oh! You migt like to try the deli ones that ae sold lose by weight that are
fresher and cured in a different way - they're almost like pickled
herring/roll mops, slightly sweet and fruity/tangy, not oily or salty -
the're like a whole different thing!

Shaun aRe

Phred

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:
>Day Dreamer wrote concerning anchovies on pizza:
>> It didn`t seem particularly salty, just really oily and fishy and putrid.
>> Some people love it, though. I can`t imagine why - unless these were bad
>> or something? I don`t think I`d ever try it again.

>Fish, oily and salty? That pretty much sums up anchovies for me. However,
>I had had anchovies in some dishes in which they are an essential
>ingredient. I have had them on pizza too, and I honestly don't understand
>how anyone ever got the idea that anchovies would be good on pizza. Or
>pineapple .

Oh dear. I have to confess that when I order the local "Supreme
pizza" I specify "Pineapple off; anchovies on." So I'm half with you.
:-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Phred

Scotty, me old mate, you need to sort out the attributions in your
newsreader. You're ascribing interesting things to me that I didn't
say; and missing the blasphemy that I did say!

Checked out your recommended recipe. It sounds acceptable, but I was
a bit ****ed off that the site wouldn't let me see the larger piccie
without becoming a "premium member". Bloody scam! They can get well
knotted. It's not like they've got anything exceptional to offer.

In article <dEW9e.1097118$8l.536509@pd7tw1no>, "Scotty"
> wrote:
>
>"Day Dreamer" > wrote in message
>>
>> From: (Phred)
>>
>>>Sounds interesting. I`ve never eaten lamb, so
>>> I have no idea of what the taste is.

>> My goodness. Well, I guess if I`m missing THAT much, I`d better get some
>> lamb. Of course, then I`ll be back here with a dozen questions of how to
>> cook it

>My favourite is a rack. They're quite expensive, but the flavour is
>fantastic. Much more mild tasting than a leg roast. Here's a recipe I've
>used that's gotten excellent reviews around he

http://www.recipezaar.com/12847.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Scotty

"Phred" > wrote in message
> Scotty, me old mate, you need to sort out the attributions in your
> newsreader. You're ascribing interesting things to me that I didn't
> say; and missing the blasphemy that I did say!

Sorry 'bout that. I probably had a few too many "wobbly pops".

> Checked out your recommended recipe. It sounds acceptable, but I was
> a bit ****ed off that the site wouldn't let me see the larger piccie
> without becoming a "premium member". Bloody scam! They can get well
> knotted. It's not like they've got anything exceptional to offer.

Yeah, they just started doing that. Personally I couldn't care less
about the pictures, or any of the "premium membership" crap. But the
site has a lot of recipes.

Scott

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I've only recently discovered the wonderful flavor of cardamom in
chili. It may already be an ingredient in chili powder, but an extra
1/4-1/2 tsp to a pot of chili gives it a great flavor. It's very
expensive (second only to saffron), but lasts a long time.

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 11:05:27 -0400, (Dennis

>looking for chili recesipes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
> I've only recently discovered the wonderful flavor of cardamom in
> chili. It may already be an ingredient in chili powder, but an extra
> 1/4-1/2 tsp to a pot of chili gives it a great flavor. It's very
> expensive (second only to saffron), but lasts a long time.

I use it in "Cardamom Spiced Meatloaf" and it truly is delightful. The
aromas in the house are incredibly sensuous, but I never considered it
particularly costly?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-02-04, Gary > wrote:

> 1/4-1/2 tsp to a pot of chili gives it a great flavor. It's very
> expensive....

????

Here in the SFBA, with our large Indian presence, cardamom is fairly
inexpensive. I can buy the already shelled seeds by the pound. I
love cardamom in sweets. One of my faves is cardamom baklava.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Gary wrote:
>
>> I've only recently discovered the wonderful flavor of cardamom in
>> chili. It may already be an ingredient in chili powder, but an extra
>> 1/4-1/2 tsp to a pot of chili gives it a great flavor. It's very
>> expensive (second only to saffron), but lasts a long time.

> I use it in "Cardamom Spiced Meatloaf" and it truly is delightful. The
> aromas in the house are incredibly sensuous, but I never considered it
> particularly costly?

Its a little spendy if you buy it at the megamart. I buy it at a middle
eastern market for about 5% of the megamart price and it is probably a
lot fresher too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> I've only recently discovered the wonderful flavor of cardamom in
> chili. It may already be an ingredient in chili powder, but an extra
> 1/4-1/2 tsp to a pot of chili gives it a great flavor. It's very
> expensive (second only to saffron), but lasts a long time.

Try buying it in an Asian shop. Cardamom is not very expensive relative
to other spices.

REC: Chilli Jam PeterL[_5_] General Cooking 0 24-05-2007 11:15 PM
Chilli No Idea General Cooking 60 14-06-2006 07:47 AM
Chilli not hot enough DiddyS General Cooking 9 12-02-2006 12:33 AM
Too much chilli Andy General Cooking 22 07-02-2006 02:48 AM
Chilli Tea Bob Newell Tea 0 25-10-2003 10:46 PM