Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chilli

My late wife used to make chilli. It wasn't *spicy*mince. Some of the
best ones made me feel as if my eyes were bleeding but they had taste.
Can anyone offer a recipe that a complete numptie in the kitchen could
try?

TIA

Ian

U.K.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike H wrote:
> "No Idea" > wrote in news:1149894106.917188.121490
> @c74g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
>
> > My late wife used to make chilli. It wasn't *spicy*mince. Some of the
> > best ones made me feel as if my eyes were bleeding but they had taste.
> > Can anyone offer a recipe that a complete numptie in the kitchen could
> > try?

> I usually brown up the ground meat of choice for the chili, pour in 2-3
> cans of Tomatoe sauce and season it with Chili powder to taste.
> Sometimes I get more fancy, but that's my quick fix chili.

You'd be better off buying Chili Man Lean Beef variety canned chili
than what you just wrote.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> You'd be better off buying Chili Man Lean Beef variety canned chili
> than what you just wrote.
>
> --Bryan

Your "handle" says it all.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in
28.19:

> Your "handle" says it all.

"FoodSnob" I take it? I have him KF'd. I bet he puts beans in his Chili
and Sugar in his Corn Bread.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 09 Jun 2006 08:49:07p, Mike H meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in
> 28.19:
>
>> Your "handle" says it all.
>>

> "FoodSnob" I take it? I have him KF'd. I bet he puts beans in his Chili
> and Sugar in his Corn Bread.

Yes, and I now have him KF'd as well.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike H wrote:

> I bet he puts beans in his Chili and Sugar in his Corn Bread.

Ahem... Some of us LIKE beans in our chili and sugar in our cornbread. I've
admitted my plebian tastes here on more than one occasion. But it's a matter
of TASTE. I'm perfectly aware that "purists" would rather experience the
dishes as they were made originally, in times of great hardship and
privation, but I simply make them the way I *like* them.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9 Jun 2006 16:01:46 -0700, "No Idea" >
wrote:

>My late wife used to make chilli. It wasn't *spicy*mince. Some of the
>best ones made me feel as if my eyes were bleeding but they had taste.
>Can anyone offer a recipe that a complete numptie in the kitchen could
>try?
>
>TIA
>
>Ian
>
>U.K.

If you can find one of the packaged mixes like Carroll Shelby's, you
could start with that.

jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Mike H wrote:
>
>> I bet he puts beans in his Chili and Sugar in his Corn Bread.

> Ahem... Some of us LIKE beans in our chili and sugar in our cornbread.
> I've admitted my plebian tastes here on more than one occasion. But it's a
> matter of TASTE. I'm perfectly aware that "purists" would rather
> experience the dishes as they were made originally, in times of great
> hardship and privation, but I simply make them the way I *like* them.
>
> Bob

I agree wholeheartedly. I do love a Texas "bowl of red," and make a pretty
damn good one myself. But I also like the hamburger and tomato and beans
chili that I grew up with in Illinois, and I make that too. They are
different dishes, and they're both good. I've never had the chance to try
Cincinnatti Skyline Chili Five Ways, but I'd probably like that, too.

--Rich "De gustibus non est disputandum."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
No Idea > wrote:
>My late wife used to make chilli. It wasn't *spicy*mince. Some of the
>best ones made me feel as if my eyes were bleeding but they had taste.
>Can anyone offer a recipe that a complete numptie in the kitchen could
>try?

My general recommendations -- light on tomato anything, heavy
on a chile powder (note spelling -- a powder that is just the
powdered dried peppers, no salt, no cumin, no anything else),
plus onion, garlic, cumin, and a bit of oregano. (Cumin
separate from the chile powder so you can adjust the flavor
yourself. Cumin is one of the major flavors in chili.)

Chili is definitely a "play around with what's in it, use what
you like" sort of dish.

Here's a recipe of mine that's on the web in a few places.
I won a chili cookoff at work with it one year. (Yeah, it
has beans in it, which many purists consider an abomination.)

-----------------------------
Ingredients:
------------
3 cups dried beans, 1/2 pinto, 1/2 black beans
1 can S&W salsa
1 bulb garlic (6-8 cloves for the garlic-tolerance-impaired)
1/3 cup chile powder (I used 1/2 cup, it was maybe a bit much.)
1 tblsp cumin
1.5 lb ground beef ("chili grind", or braising tips cut into
1/4" cubes.)
1/4 tsp oregano
3 Chipotle peppers (or 4 or 5...)
1 large onion.

Instructions:
-------------
Soak the beans overnight. Brown the ground beef, and drain off the fat.
If the chipotles are dried, soak them for 5 minutes in hot water, then
pulverize them with the onion and garlic in a blender. Add onion,
oregano, chili powder, cumin, beef, garlic, and beans to crock pot, with
"enough" water. Let simmer for about 12 hours. About an hour before
it's done, add the can of salsa.

The "chile powder" is bulk powdered "chile powder" chiles, New Mexico
chiles, I think. NOT the mixture with all kinds of other spices in it
that is more common in grocery stores. I like my chili heavier on the
chili powder, lighter on the tomatoes.
-----------------------------

Hm, did I really write "12 hours"? I think I was just letting
it go in the crock pot overnight.

Now, I order powdered chipotle peppers in bulk from a place in
New Mexico, and adjust the "other chile powders" and chipotle
to fine-tune the heat. (I *love* chipotle powder.) I haven't
seen the S&W salsa lately, I'd probably just add some chopped
fresh jalapenos and/or serranos, and maybe some canned crused
tomatoes if I wanted them.

--
Tagon: "Where's your sense of adventure?" | Mike Van Pelt
Kevyn: "It died under mysterious circumstances. | mvp at calweb.com
My sense of self-preservation found the body, | KE6BVH
but assures me it has an airtight alibi." (schlockmercenary.com)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike Van Pelt wrote:
> [...]

> that is more common in grocery stores. I like my chili heavier on the
> chili powder, lighter on the tomatoes.
> -----------------------------
>
> Hm, did I really write "12 hours"? I think I was just letting
> it go in the crock pot overnight.
>
> Now, I order powdered chipotle peppers in bulk from a place in
> New Mexico, and adjust the "other chile powders" and chipotle
> to fine-tune the heat. (I *love* chipotle powder.) I haven't
> seen the S&W salsa lately, I'd probably just add some chopped
> fresh jalapenos and/or serranos, and maybe some canned crused
> tomatoes if I wanted them.
>
> --
> Tagon: "Where's your sense of adventure?" | Mike Van Pelt
> Kevyn: "It died under mysterious circumstances. | mvp at calweb.com
> My sense of self-preservation found the body, | KE6BVH
> but assures me it has an airtight alibi." (schlockmercenary.com)

You've got to be kidding!

Toronto Chilli

I lb hamburger
I can tomatos
I tbsp crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
1 small green pepper
1 yellow onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 can dark red kidney beans drained
salt and black pepper to taste.
Brown the meat and saute the veg, mix with the spices and garlic and
add tomatos, oh
wait, a tbsp of worcestershire sauce and a bay leaf. Bring to a boil
and then simmer uncovered for 45 minutes.Serve with coleslaw and kaiser
rolls.Serves 4 for lunch 2 for dinner.
Biff

Posted to rec.food.cooking

My approach to chili is a mix of various UK sources so probably is far
removed from an authentic one.

Once I have browned the mince, I soften onions and garlic in the meat
fat and then drain. I bash some cumin, black peppers and dried chiles in
a pestle and mortar and then roast them lightly in a pan. Once they are
done, i return the meat and onions and add a bottle of lager, beef stock
plus some tinned diced tomato . Final crucial ingredient is sun dried
tomatoes wizzed up in a blender but I sometimes use tinned red peppers.
Sometimes I add a cinnamon stick. This gets cooked on the stove for an
hour or two. All this is done on D-1.

On D Day, I remove the cinnamon stick and add the kidney beans and
reheat for an hour.

Steve

No Idea wrote:
> My late wife used to make chilli. It wasn't *spicy*mince. Some of the
> best ones made me feel as if my eyes were bleeding but they had taste.
> Can anyone offer a recipe that a complete numptie in the kitchen could
> try?
>
> TIA
>
> Ian
>
> U.K.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike H wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in
> 28.19:
>
>> Your "handle" says it all.
>>

> "FoodSnob" I take it? I have him KF'd. I bet he puts beans in his Chili

Yes, and flour to make it thick and rich.

--
Sincerely yours

Zatoichi
Posted to rec.food.cooking

No Idea wrote:
> My late wife used to make chilli. It wasn't *spicy*mince. Some of the
> best ones made me feel as if my eyes were bleeding but they had taste.
> Can anyone offer a recipe that a complete numptie in the kitchen could
> try?
>
> TIA
>
> Ian
>
> U.K.

Well here is a simple one, which is what my mother (mum!) prepared. Brown
the mince with some chopped onion and a couple of cloves of garlic. Strain
off the grease and transfer the mixture to a fairly deep pot. Add 2 cups of
water and a can of tomato sauce (not paste, sauce OR a can of condensed
tomato soup). Now add 2 Tbs. of mild chili powder. Trust me, it won't be
hot. Cover and simmer on low heat. Do you like beans in your chili? If
so, add 1 can of kidney or pinto beans at this point. Stir well and heat
through. Add salt & pepper to taste and you have a very nice, very bland
"chili"

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Mike H wrote:
>
>> I bet he puts beans in his Chili and Sugar in his Corn Bread.

> Ahem... Some of us LIKE beans in our chili and sugar in our
> cornbread. I've admitted my plebian tastes here on more than one
> occasion. But it's a matter of TASTE. I'm perfectly aware that
> "purists" would rather experience the dishes as they were made
> originally, in times of great hardship and privation, but I simply
> make them the way I *like* them.
>
> Bob

It's always funny when folks decide chili shouldn't have beans just because
they live in Texas or something like that. Heh. Same thing with BBQ... who
really cares if the sauce is mustard based or vinegar based? Leave the
sauce off mine, thanks! Dry rub all the way!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Just get a pot and make some chili. Put in ground pork or beef or both
or turkey. Put in cubed beef(lean chuck or round or any tasty cut; but
make sure it needs to cook for a while; I wouldn't use tenderloin but
I've never tried it so...) or pork shoulder if you like. Brown it, or
don't brown it. Soften up onions. Add some chili powder and slowly
cook in oil for a few minutes add garlic. Add browned meat. Stir.
Cook as long as you like. Make sure it is nice and tender. Add extra
cumin if you like. I like to add a good dose of Mr. Gouda's hot
sauce(the red not yellow stuff). It's hotter than Frank's hot sauce.
Mr. Gouda's a Canadian thing. Add canned kidney or frijoles beans or
beans of your choice if you like. There that is simple chili. You can
get dried chilis and work with those as well. For liquid add tom juice
or vegetable juice or wine or beer or beef or chicken stock or water.
If you want to thicken use corn flour or whatever like even corn
starch; what about corn meal? I've never tried it. Serve with stuff
like top with fresh squeezed lime juice, your favourite cheese such as
american cheese(you can even melt it under broiler), sour cream;
yogurt?. Eat it with tortillas or bread or you can ladle it on top of
macaroni and cheese thereby creating a brand new haute cuisine dish
called the 'Waterloo County Debris and Cheese'. Ladle it on plain
pasta or rice? I tried it; don't like it. Just make some chili then
eat it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike Van Pelt wrote:
> In article .com>,
> No Idea > wrote:
>> My late wife used to make chilli. It wasn't *spicy*mince. Some of the
>> best ones made me feel as if my eyes were bleeding but they had taste.
>> Can anyone offer a recipe that a complete numptie in the kitchen could
>> try?

> My general recommendations -- light on tomato anything, heavy
> on a chile powder (note spelling -- a powder that is just the
> powdered dried peppers, no salt, no cumin, no anything else),
> plus onion, garlic, cumin, and a bit of oregano. (Cumin
> separate from the chile powder so you can adjust the flavor
> yourself. Cumin is one of the major flavors in chili.)
>
> Chili is definitely a "play around with what's in it, use what
> you like" sort of dish.
>
> Here's a recipe of mine that's on the web in a few places.
> I won a chili cookoff at work with it one year. (Yeah, it
> has beans in it, which many purists consider an abomination.)
>
> -----------------------------
> Ingredients:
> ------------
> 3 cups dried beans, 1/2 pinto, 1/2 black beans
> 1 can S&W salsa

[snip]

Smith & Wesson is making salsa now?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TEXAS RED

This may make the best ( authentic ) chili I've ever eaten.
I got the recipe at the Cochise County Chili Cook-Off.
This chili is "warm" but not spicy hot.

New Mexico chile powder, garlic powder,
Mexican cumin, and oregano.

Stir in a crockpot;

1 can ( 14oz ) of diced tomatoes.
1 can of beer
2 large onions diced
3+ tbs New Mexico Chile Powder
1 tsp Mexican oregano, cumin, garlic powder

Dice 3 to 4 pounds of stew beef. ( chuck )
DO NOT USE GROUND BEEF !!
Brown lightly in a fry-pan, and add to the crock.

Stir everything...
Cook on <HI> until it starts to bubble.
Then, cook on <LO> for 5 or 6 hours.

When serving chili, put out several small bowls
of your favorites;
shredded cheddar, diced green onions, diced tomatoes,
cooked pinto beans, sour cream, taco chips.

Ladle out a bowl of "red",
add your favorite fixin's and enjoy !!

Chili is often served over a bed of rice
in some parts of Texas.
( we don't do that in Arizona )

<rj>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Here is our recipe (with beans)

Ingredients
1 pound very lean ground beef or lean stewing meat cut in cubes about 1
inch.
2 Red bell peppers, seeded and diced
3 med onions, peeled and diced
1 garlic_clove minced fine
2 regular or 1 large cans pinto beans partly drained
1 large can stewed tomatoes, undrained
1/2 small can tomato paste
Pinch red pepper flakes or to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground oregano
1 tablespoon chili powder or to taste
1 can beer

Directions
Heat a little olive oil in a heavy pan and cook onion and peppers over
medium heat until onion is soft and golden. Add the garlic and cook about 10
minutes, taking care to not burn it. Turn up the heat a little and add all
the seasonings except the salt. Cook stirring constantly for 1 minute, and
then add the beef and brown well . Add the tomatoes, tomato paste and beer
and the juice from the beans. Stir well. Simmer, uncovered for 1 hour or
until the chili has thickened and the meat is tender, stirring occasionally.
Add salt and pepper to taste. Add beans and cook until they are hot.
I like to grate some "ricotta salata" or queso fresco" cheese on top.

I would suggest to try different brand of chili powder to find the one that
fir your taste better.
Guido
http://www.yummyfood.net
Quick and easy international recipes

"No Idea" > ha scritto nel messaggio
oups.com...
> My late wife used to make chilli. It wasn't *spicy*mince. Some of the
> best ones made me feel as if my eyes were bleeding but they had taste.
> Can anyone offer a recipe that a complete numptie in the kitchen could
> try?
>
> TIA
>
> Ian
>
> U.K.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in
:

>> I bet he puts beans in his Chili and Sugar in his Corn Bread.

> Ahem... Some of us LIKE beans in our chili and sugar in our cornbread.

Well, I don't see you bearing the moniker "Food Snob" either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zatoichi > wrote in
:

>> "FoodSnob" I take it? I have him KF'd. I bet he puts beans in his
>> Chili

> Yes, and flour to make it thick and rich.

Why? Just puree the beans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike H wrote:
> zatoichi > wrote in
> :
>
>>> "FoodSnob" I take it? I have him KF'd. I bet he puts beans in his
>>> Chili

>> Yes, and flour to make it thick and rich.

> Why? Just puree the beans.

LOL just kidding :-)

--
Sincerely yours

Zatoichi
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike H wrote:
> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in
> :
>
>>> I bet he puts beans in his Chili and Sugar in his Corn Bread.

>> Ahem... Some of us LIKE beans in our chili and sugar in our
>> cornbread.

> Well, I don't see you bearing the moniker "Food Snob" either.

And hopefully no one else will, although I only add 1 TBS sugar to my
cornbread

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike H wrote:
> zatoichi > wrote in
> :
>
>>> "FoodSnob" I take it? I have him KF'd. I bet he puts beans in his
>>> Chili

>> Yes, and flour to make it thick and rich.

> Why? Just puree the beans.

Or go wild and add frijoles refritos (refried pinto beans)

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mike H" > wrote in message
9.130...
> zatoichi > wrote in
> :
>
>>> "FoodSnob" I take it? I have him KF'd. I bet he puts beans in his
>>> Chili

>> Yes, and flour to make it thick and rich.

> Why? Just puree the beans.

If mine needs any thickening, I use masa.

--Rich

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Rich" > wrote:

> If mine needs any thickening, I use masa.
>
> --Rich

After worrying about this for a while, I found that if I cook mine long
enough on a low simmer, it thickens without masa and the ground beef
actually gets tender.

The worst thing ever? Adding tomatos of any kind. I picked up
some "homemade" chili from Kroger's soup bar and it had so
much tomato I couldn't eat it. Instant heartburn with the chili
spices. I make mine with lots of fresh garlic and chili spices.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"No Idea" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> My late wife used to make chilli. It wasn't *spicy*mince. Some of the
> best ones made me feel as if my eyes were bleeding but they had taste.
> Can anyone offer a recipe that a complete numptie in the kitchen could
> try?

1.5 lbs of ground beef
three garlic cloves
1/3 cup chili powder
8 cups water

Brown the ground beef (I know you know not to add fat to it!)
in a deep skillet or soup pot, whatever you are going to cook the
chili in.

Smash first then chop the garlic fine and add to the browning
meat in the last five minutes or so. You want it cooked a bit, but
not browned, that makes the flavor bitter.

Add the chili powder and stir until it is well mixed with the beef.

With the heat still on high, add eight cups of water.

Bring to a boil.

Immediately lower the heat to the lowest possible simmer, just
bubble or two. Do not cover.

Cook it for a couple of hours at least, until it is the right consistency.
Skim the fat every now and then with a large, flat spoon.

Add salt and pepper and beans if you like them.

It is great with corn bread.

P.S. Once you have chili with no tomatoes you will never go back!
If you have to have a little, dump a little medium salsa in while it
simmers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in news:OEDig.8266$gv2.563
@bignews3.bellsouth.net:

>> Well, I don't see you bearing the moniker "Food Snob" either.

> And hopefully no one else will, although I only add 1 TBS sugar to my
> cornbread

Only time I've done that is when I wasn't paying attention and slightly
over salted it, used sugar to try and ballance it. My wife doesn't like
my cornbread, too unsweet and dry for her, she doesn't get it, that's why I
make Honey butter to go with it, to sweeten it and impart moisture
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in news:KLDig.8268$gv2.1707
@bignews3.bellsouth.net:

> Or go wild and add frijoles refritos (refried pinto beans)

The Chili recipe they use at the resturant that my Culinary school runs
uses Yellow Corn Meal, and I know Alton Brown's Chili uses crushed corn
chips (same thing for all intents and purposes). I did that last time I
made chili (which I made with 0 chilli powder, I used chille powder tho
(Chipolte Chilie powder that is) Measured out a bit too much for the corn
bread so I tossed the extra in to the chilli, made it nice and thick.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in news:448b0120$0$32706$88260bb3
@free.teranews.com:

> The worst thing ever? Adding tomatos of any kind. I picked up
> some "homemade" chili from Kroger's soup bar and it had so
> much tomato I couldn't eat it. Instant heartburn with the chili
> spices. I make mine with lots of fresh garlic and chili spices.

Last one I made, I used 1 large can of roma tomatos (Not enough time to
deal with making concasse from fresh). 2 cans of sauce, 4 cloves of
garlic, 2 jalapenos, half a yellow onion, half a shallot, 1 jar of
pimentos, 2.5 lbs of ground beef. Came out decent enough.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike H wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in
> 28.19:
>
> > Your "handle" says it all.
> >

> "FoodSnob" I take it? I have him KF'd. I bet he puts beans in his Chili
> and Sugar in his Corn Bread.

Don't care much for cornbread but I put beans in chili too. I also put
spaghetti in chili, not like Cincinnati chili but enough so you know
it's there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<RJ> wrote:

> This may make the best ( authentic ) chili I've ever eaten.
>
> Stir in a crockpot;
>
> 1 can ( 14oz ) of diced tomatoes.
> 1 can of beer

No ( authentic ) chili begins with stuff out of a can unless you're
talking Hormel.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in news:1149978914.825578.220130
@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

> No ( authentic ) chili begins with stuff out of a can unless you're
> talking Hormel.

So, you can only have chili if tomatos are in season & good?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mike H" > wrote in message
.130...
> "Sheldon" > wrote in news:1149978914.825578.220130
> @i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
>
> > No ( authentic ) chili begins with stuff out of a can unless you're
> > talking Hormel.

> So, you can only have chili if tomatos are in season & good?

You don't need tomatoes. You REALLY don't. Try it some time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike H wrote:
> "No Idea" > wrote in news:1149894106.917188.121490
> @c74g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
>
>> My late wife used to make chilli. It wasn't *spicy*mince. Some of the
>> best ones made me feel as if my eyes were bleeding but they had taste.
>> Can anyone offer a recipe that a complete numptie in the kitchen could
>> try?

> I usually brown up the ground meat of choice for the chili, pour in 2-3
> cans of Tomatoe sauce and season it with Chili powder to taste.
> Sometimes I get more fancy, but that's my quick fix chili.

Beans are a false controversy. Tomatoes are a bigger problem in my
opinion. (So is too much cumin.) Put beans or tomatoes in your chili if
you like, but neither one should dominate the dish.

Here's my chili recipe. Actually, I don't use a recipe, but I paid
attention and wrote everything down once after I made a batch.

Bob's Red Chili (Without Tomatoes)

1 to 1 1/2 pounds ground venison (or lean hamburger meat)
1 pound frozen ground turkey, thawed (or beef stew meat, or cube steak)
1 large (or 2 small) yellow onions
2 cups water
8 dried New Mexico or Guajillo chile peppers
4 large dried ancho chile peppers
2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 (15 ounce) cans beef broth
1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans or "chili beans" (optional)
1 or 2 teaspoons cornmeal or dried masa
cayenne pepper, to taste [I used between 1/4 and 1/2 teaspoon]

Break up the ground beef or venison in a large skillet and begin
browning over high heat. When the meat has turned gray and there is some
grease in the pan, add the turkey (stew meat, etc.) Continue cooking
until all is thoroughly done and browned somewhat. Transfer to a large
stockpot. Sit the dirty skillet aside for later.

Remove stems from New Mexico chiles and put peppers in blender. Whir
until they are ground up pretty good. Tear the ancho chiles into large
pieces, removing stems and seeds. Put in small saucepan with the water;
simmer for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, coarsely chop onions and sauté in the grease remaining in the
skillet. When onions are soft and becoming translucent, transfer to the
stockpot.

Pour the stewed anchos and water into the blender with the ground chiles
and blend until liquefied. Pour the chile paste into stockpot. Rinse the
blender with a little water and pour that in the stockpot.

Add all remaining ingredients except the beans and the cornmeal. Simmer
for several hours. Add canned beans and simmer another 20 minutes.
Adjust seasoning (salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and maybe garlic
powder) to taste. Add the cornmeal, and simmer 10 or 15 minutes until
thickened -- stir occasionally because it can burn at this point.

--
Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 19:00:47 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

> (So is too much cumin.)

Oh, my goodness zxcvbob.... did you accidently dump too much cumin in
cili once? Cumin is a major flavor ingredient in good chili, so too
little is just as bad as too much.
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 19:00:47 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> (So is too much cumin.)

> Oh, my goodness zxcvbob.... did you accidently dump too much cumin in
> cili once? Cumin is a major flavor ingredient in good chili, so too
> little is just as bad as too much.

Cumin tastes like dirty socks.

I sometimes make chili without any cumin. It's inexplicably better with
just a *little* cumin, but not if there's enough that you can distinctly
taste the cumin.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:
>> 1 can S&W salsa

>[snip]
>
>Smith & Wesson is making salsa now?

Yeah, some wimps use the .22, the .38 salsa is most popular.
I like the .50 AE, unless I'm feeling particularly masochistic,
and go for the .454 Casul, which, by the number, you'd think
was milder, but it's noticably more potent.

But seriously...

Maybe it's a west coast thing... There's a brand of canned
vegetables called S&W, which probably doesn't stand for Smith
& Wesson. They did make a canned salsa, which was pretty good
by medium-mild canned salsa standards. I haven't seen it
for some time, though.

--
Tagon: "Where's your sense of adventure?" | Mike Van Pelt
Kevyn: "It died under mysterious circumstances. | mvp at calweb.com
My sense of self-preservation found the body, | KE6BVH
but assures me it has an airtight alibi." (schlockmercenary.com)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ok lets see if i can sound like the food snob!!

OYFG your all losers, everyone knows the best chili is!!:

CINCINNATI-STYLE CHILI

3 onions, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 pounds ground beef chuck
1/3 cup chili powder
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon dried orégano, crumbled
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground mace
1 bay leaf
3 cups water
a 16-ounce can tomato sauce
2 tablespoons wine vinegar
2 tablespoons molasses
spaghetti, kidney beans, chopped onion, grated Cheddar, and oyster
crackers as traditional accompaniments if desired

In a large heavy kettle cook the onions and the garlic in the oil over
moderate heat, stirring, until the onions are softened, add the beef,
and cook the mixture, stirring and breaking up the lumps, until the
beef is no longer pink. Add the chili powder, the paprika, the cumin,
the coriander, the allspice, the orégano, the cayenne, the cinnamon,
the cloves, and the mace and cook the mixture, stirring, for 1 minute.
Add the bay leaf, the water, the tomato sauce, the vinegar, and the
molasses and simmer the mixture, uncovered, stirring occasionally and
adding more water if necessary to keep the beef barely covered, for 2
hours, or until it is thickened but soupy enough to be ladled. Discard
the bay leaf and season the chili with salt and pepper. The chili may
be frozen or made 4 days in advance, cooled, uncovered, and kept
covered and chilled. Serve the chili as is or in the traditional
Cincinnati "five-way" style: Ladle the chili over the spaghetti and top
it with the beans, the onion, the Cheddar, and the oyster crackers.

Makes about 8 cups, serving 6.

No Idea wrote:
> My late wife used to make chilli. It wasn't *spicy*mince. Some of the
> best ones made me feel as if my eyes were bleeding but they had taste.
> Can anyone offer a recipe that a complete numptie in the kitchen could
> try?
>
> TIA
>
> Ian
>
> U.K.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

No Idea wrote:
> My late wife used to make chilli. It wasn't *spicy*mince. Some of the
> best ones made me feel as if my eyes were bleeding but they had taste.
> Can anyone offer a recipe that a complete numptie in the kitchen could
> try?
>
> TIA
>
> Ian
>
> U.K.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"No Idea" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> My late wife used to make chilli. It wasn't *spicy*mince. Some of the
> best ones made me feel as if my eyes were bleeding but they had taste.
> Can anyone offer a recipe that a complete numptie in the kitchen could
> try?

Here's a really simple recipe I've usually cooked overnight in a small crock
pot (slow cooker).

1. With the crock pot set to Off (or unplugged from the wall outlet, if the
crock pot only has a single cooking setting), add the following:

1 x 15 ounce (425g) can Tomato Sauce.
1/4 cup (slightly more than 50 ml) water.
2 teaspoons Chili Powder.
2 x 1/4 lb. defrosted hamburger patties, crumbled into small pieces.

2. Stir well with a (wooden or plastic) stirring spoon. No metal spoons,
though, as they may scratch the crock pot interior.

3. Place the glass lid on the crock pot, plug the crock pot into the wall,
and set the crock pot to Low (if the crock pot has more than one cooking
setting).

Chili is done when all the ground meat is thoroughly cooked. Some additional
amount of simmering time may help to thicken the chili just a bit.

Note that this chili recipe will not ever achieve the same thickness as most
canned chili. It's still a decently flavorful recipe for how few ingredients
it requires.

REC: Chilli Jam PeterL[_5_] General Cooking 0 24-05-2007 11:15 PM
Chilli not hot enough DiddyS General Cooking 9 12-02-2006 12:33 AM
Too much chilli Andy General Cooking 22 07-02-2006 02:48 AM
chilli Dennis Hostter General Cooking 39 04-02-2006 11:57 PM
Chilli Tea Bob Newell Tea 0 25-10-2003 10:46 PM