tandemcap

Default Rock salt-crystaline structure

Thanks all for the replies.

Alton Brown had softball sized crystaline formations.

Perhaps Halite is the answer.

fm

Sheldon

tandemcap wrote:
> Thanks all for the replies.
>
> Alton Brown had softball sized crystaline formations.
>
> Perhaps Halite is the answer.
>
> fm

I seriously doubt that, halite is raw salt ore as it comes from the
mine, unpurified and unfit for human consumption, in fact it will even
contain bits of earth and stone... it's what's used for road salt. But
ordinary table salt can be made to form large crystals same as sugar
can form rock candy.

Sheldon

Rusty

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 00:38:59 GMT, "tandemcap"
> wrote:

>Thanks all for the replies.
>
>Alton Brown had softball sized crystaline formations.
>
>Perhaps Halite is the answer.
>
>fm

The episode, "Good Eats: Eat this Rock!" which is about salt, uses
kosher, rock or pickling salt in the shows recipes.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show..._32315,00.html

I didn't see the episode.

Did Alton Brown grind up the large chunk of salt on camera and use it
in the recipes? If they did't show this happening on camera, my guess
is he used Halite as a prop and put standard ground kosher, rock or
pickling salt in the recipes.

Rusty
tandemcap

The large "rock" was just a visual prop and guessing from the responses, a
piece of halite.

Any idea on how to get ahold of one of those?

How do I grow a rock crystal to the size of a baseball, (my expectations
have shrunk)

Thanks

fm
"Rusty" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 00:38:59 GMT, "tandemcap"
> > wrote:
>
>>Thanks all for the replies.
>>
>>Alton Brown had softball sized crystaline formations.
>>
>>Perhaps Halite is the answer.
>>
>>fm
>>

> The episode, "Good Eats: Eat this Rock!" which is about salt, uses
> kosher, rock or pickling salt in the shows recipes.
>
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show..._32315,00.html
>
> I didn't see the episode.
>
> Did Alton Brown grind up the large chunk of salt on camera and use it
> in the recipes? If they did't show this happening on camera, my guess
> is he used Halite as a prop and put standard ground kosher, rock or
> pickling salt in the recipes.
>

> Rusty

zxcvbob

tandemcap wrote:
> The large "rock" was just a visual prop and guessing from the responses, a
> piece of halite.
>
> Any idea on how to get ahold of one of those?
>
> How do I grow a rock crystal to the size of a baseball, (my expectations
> have shrunk)
>
> Thanks
>
> fm
> "Rusty" > wrote in message
>
>>On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 00:38:59 GMT, "tandemcap"
> wrote:
>>

>>>Thanks all for the replies.
>>>
>>>Alton Brown had softball sized crystaline formations.
>>>
>>>Perhaps Halite is the answer.
>>>
>>>fm
>>>

>>The episode, "Good Eats: Eat this Rock!" which is about salt, uses
>>kosher, rock or pickling salt in the shows recipes.
>>
>>http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show..._32315,00.html
>>
>>I didn't see the episode.
>>
>>Did Alton Brown grind up the large chunk of salt on camera and use it
>>in the recipes? If they did't show this happening on camera, my guess
>>is he used Halite as a prop and put standard ground kosher, rock or
>>pickling salt in the recipes.
>>

>>Rusty

Have you even looked at the replies you got earlier this week yet? Some
of us posted links on eBay, etc. It's not that hard; you don't seem to
be trying.

Bob

Katra

In article >,
"tandemcap" > wrote:

> The large "rock" was just a visual prop and guessing from the responses, a
> piece of halite.
>
> Any idea on how to get ahold of one of those?
>
> How do I grow a rock crystal to the size of a baseball, (my expectations
> have shrunk)
>
> Thanks
>
> fm

Probably not in time for mother's day...
but you can grow rock crystal the same way you can "grow" sugar rock
candy. (which, BTW, I'd recommend more as a mothers day gift than rock
salt!)

Heat some water on the stove. If the water is hot, you can dissolve more
salt into it than into cold water. You want to make a super-saturated
solution.

Dissolve as much salt as you can into it when it's simmering. When the
salt stops dissolving, stop adding it.

Take a piece of cotton string and dip it into the heated salt water,
then put it aside to dry.

Once your salt solution has cooled a bit, empty it into a widemouth
quart jar. punch a single hole in the lid, tie a knot in the dry, salt
soaked string and string it thru the hole so it will be dangling into
the jar. Put the lid on the jar with the string hanging into the middle
of the salt water.

Close the lid loosley so the water can evaporate slowly. Place the jar
in a cool cupboard and just wait.

Making sugar rock candy is done the same way, except (duh), you use
sugar instead of salt.
--
K.