JB

Default Rock salt -- sidewalk vs. stomach

Can you use salt which is intended for an ice cream maker or to melt
snow and ice on the sidewalk in a salt mill?
jmcquown

JB wrote:
> Can you use salt which is intended for an ice cream maker or to melt
> snow and ice on the sidewalk in a salt mill?

Yes.

Puester

JB wrote:

> Can you use salt which is intended for an ice cream maker or to melt
> snow and ice on the sidewalk in a salt mill?

I wouldn't. You have no guarantee of purity and
there may be other ice-melting chemicals added
in addition to natural impurities.

A box of kosher or other coarse salt is cheap.

gloria p
Nancy Young

Puester wrote:

> JB wrote:
> >
> > Can you use salt which is intended for an ice cream maker or to melt
> > snow and ice on the sidewalk in a salt mill?

> I wouldn't. You have no guarantee of purity and
> there may be other ice-melting chemicals added
> in addition to natural impurities.
>
> A box of kosher or other coarse salt is cheap.

Ditto, it's not food grade. Who knows what kind of dirty circumstances
is it packaged. Salt is cheap, why go there.

nancy
jmcquown

Nancy Young wrote:
> Puester wrote:
>
>> JB wrote:
>>>
>>> Can you use salt which is intended for an ice cream maker or to melt
>>> snow and ice on the sidewalk in a salt mill?

>> I wouldn't. You have no guarantee of purity and
>> there may be other ice-melting chemicals added
>> in addition to natural impurities.
>>
>> A box of kosher or other coarse salt is cheap.

> Ditto, it's not food grade. Who knows what kind of dirty
> circumstances is it packaged. Salt is cheap, why go there.
>
> nancy

I am a salt fanatic. And I have to think, back before there were food
police, salt was as much of a commodity as pepper and spices were. So if
someone ran across a mound of salt and dug some out and put it in their
pouch for trading later, they weren't concerned about 'grade'.

Having said that, when I was a teen my mom had a box of rock salt in the
cabinet in the garage; I don't know why. But she was very disturbed when
she discovered I'd eaten half of it. Yes, I eat salt by the handful. My
doctor tells me this is because I have low blood pressure and my body craves
sodium which I tend to avoid otherwise. Whatever. I just love the taste of
salt.

Jill

sf

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 17:48:52 -0600, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

> I am a salt fanatic. And I have to think, back before there were food
> police, salt was as much of a commodity as pepper and spices were. So if
> someone ran across a mound of salt and dug some out and put it in their
> pouch for trading later, they weren't concerned about 'grade'.

I've used rock salt in my salt grinder for years and I'm not
dead yet.

Nexis

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> Nancy Young wrote:
> > Puester wrote:

> >> I wouldn't. You have no guarantee of purity and
> >> there may be other ice-melting chemicals added
> >> in addition to natural impurities.
> >>
> >> A box of kosher or other coarse salt is cheap.

> > Ditto, it's not food grade. Who knows what kind of dirty
> > circumstances is it packaged. Salt is cheap, why go there.
> >
> > nancy

> I am a salt fanatic. And I have to think, back before there were food
> police, salt was as much of a commodity as pepper and spices were. So if
> someone ran across a mound of salt and dug some out and put it in their
> pouch for trading later, they weren't concerned about 'grade'.
>
> Having said that, when I was a teen my mom had a box of rock salt in the
> cabinet in the garage; I don't know why. But she was very disturbed when
> she discovered I'd eaten half of it. Yes, I eat salt by the handful. My
> doctor tells me this is because I have low blood pressure and my body

craves
> sodium which I tend to avoid otherwise. Whatever. I just love the taste

of
> salt.
>
> Jill

I used to use a lot of salt, so did my husband. In fact, he salted things I
wouldn't even salt...like spaghetti for instance. So much, it looked like
snowfall... ;-)
Then I got into spices and herbs and I cut back on salt because, to me, it
covered the other flavors too much. Now I hardly use it. I use it in the
cooking water for pasta and potatoes, and on some veggies like corn.
Especially corn on the cob! I can't imagine it without salt!
The reason I responded though was because before my last pregnancy, when I
used to use alot of salt, I also had low blood pressure...it never occured
to me it may be connected! It was interesting to learn that, so thanks!

kimberly

Mark Thorson

PENMART01 wrote:

> In any event I don't see teh point in bothering with a salt
> mill for grinding ordinary salt unless you're looking to fool your
> guests into thinking they'rd getting some rare speciallty salt...

Perhaps he's thinking of jumping into the rare specialty salt
business. Fancy label on a fancy can, filled with whatever
salt with large crystals is cheapest.

modom

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 23:12:16 GMT, Puester >
wrote:

>JB wrote:
>>
>> Can you use salt which is intended for an ice cream maker or to melt
>> snow and ice on the sidewalk in a salt mill?

>I wouldn't. You have no guarantee of purity and
>there may be other ice-melting chemicals added
>in addition to natural impurities.
>
>A box of kosher or other coarse salt is cheap.
>
>gloria p

Agree. Potassium chloride is used in some de-icer mixes. You
probably wouldn't like the taste. (I didn't, anyway)

modom
Brian Macke

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 20:59:44 -0600, modom wrote:

> Potassium chloride is used in some de-icer mixes. You probably wouldn't
> like the taste. (I didn't, anyway)

It's also used in sodium-free salt. I have a little bit of the stuff
upstairs and found it largely inedible.

--
-Brian James Macke
"In order to get that which you wish for, you must first get that which

Frogleg

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 00:36:56 GMT, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 17:48:52 -0600, "jmcquown"
> wrote:
>

>> I am a salt fanatic. And I have to think, back before there were food
>> police, salt was as much of a commodity as pepper and spices were. So if
>> someone ran across a mound of salt and dug some out and put it in their
>> pouch for trading later, they weren't concerned about 'grade'.

>I've used rock salt in my salt grinder for years and I'm not
>dead yet.

Good to know. :-) I haven't yet gone through my fancy-schmancy packet
of salt-grinder salt, so though a *great* deal more expensive than
ice-cream salt, the initial purchase is still adequate. It would take
me a million years to consume 5lb of salt, but if I *did* make ice
cream and had a salt grinder, I'd save out a couple of ounces.
Doug Freyburger

Puester wrote:
> JB wrote:
>
> > Can you use salt which is intended for an ice cream maker or to melt
> > snow and ice on the sidewalk in a salt mill?

> I wouldn't. You have no guarantee of purity and
> there may be other ice-melting chemicals added
> in addition to natural impurities.

The stuff put on roads isn't very clean. They don't put much effort into
purity. Not good enough for most cooking uses unless you want unpleasant
results.

These salts can be almost any mixture of sodium, calcium and potassium
chlorides. Sodium chloride comes in reasonable purity (95%+) from salt
mines, and without any further refinement that's what is put onto roads.

I noticed that the "salt" that is put onto sidewalks is labelled calcium
chloride. On of the men at my lodge is a retired civil engineer who
specialized in roads, so I asked him about that. He said that calcium
chloride will melt ice down to -20F where sodium chloride will only melt
ice down to 0F. But because of the price, highway crews use roughly 90%
sodium chloride in whatever purity it was straight from the mine and add
roughly 10% calcium chloride to increase the melting power.

Anyways, calcium, potassium and sodium chlorides are all good mineral
sources. I'd worry about the other impurities though.

sf

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 14:09:28 GMT, Frogleg
> wrote:

> It would take
> me a million years to consume 5lb of salt, but if I *did* make ice
> cream and had a salt grinder, I'd save out a couple of ounces.

LOL! That's what I do. It comes out of my 5 lb bag of rock
salt for ice cream making... I haven't lived in snow
country since I was 15, so I'm not sure if the bags of salt
we used to throw on the sidewalks were rock salt or not. I
remember it was called rock salt. I do know rock salt is
mined and it's just evaporated ocean, just like sea salt...
except it's "aged".

sf

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 17:05:09 -0800, "Nexis" >
wrote:

> The reason I responded though was because before my last pregnancy, when I
> used to use alot of salt, I also had low blood pressure...it never occured
> to me it may be connected! It was interesting to learn that, so thanks!
>
> kimberly

Kim... low blood pressure is usually NOT associated with
additional salt in your diet! People with low blood
pressure typically use salt to bring their blood pressure up
to normal.

Correct me if I misinterpreted your post.

sf

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 01:35:58 GMT, Mark Thorson
> wrote:

> PENMART01 wrote:
>
> > In any event I don't see teh point in bothering with a salt
> > mill for grinding ordinary salt unless you're looking to fool your
> > guests into thinking they'rd getting some rare speciallty salt...

> Perhaps he's thinking of jumping into the rare specialty salt
> business. Fancy label on a fancy can, filled with whatever
> salt with large crystals is cheapest.

I hear it's especially good if it's gray or black.

kilikini

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> Nancy Young wrote:
> > Puester wrote:
> >
> >> JB wrote:

(snip)

> I am a salt fanatic. And I have to think, back before there were food
> police, salt was as much of a commodity as pepper and spices were. So if
> someone ran across a mound of salt and dug some out and put it in their
> pouch for trading later, they weren't concerned about 'grade'.
>
> Having said that, when I was a teen my mom had a box of rock salt in the
> cabinet in the garage; I don't know why. But she was very disturbed when
> she discovered I'd eaten half of it. Yes, I eat salt by the handful. My
> doctor tells me this is because I have low blood pressure and my body

craves
> sodium which I tend to avoid otherwise. Whatever. I just love the taste

of
> salt.
>
> Jill

I can't stand the taste of salt! I even pick it off pretzels! My
boyfriend, however, *loves* salt. When he cooks, he uses quite a bit of sea
salt and I feel so badly, but I can't eat the food. My mom never used salt
when I was growing up, so I just learned to eat food the way it is. I don't
salt potatoes, eggs, veggies, fries, etc. and I always use unsalted butter.

kilikini

sf

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 16:55:29 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

> I can't stand the taste of salt! I even pick it off pretzels! My
> boyfriend, however, *loves* salt. When he cooks, he uses quite a bit of sea
> salt and I feel so badly, but I can't eat the food. My mom never used salt
> when I was growing up, so I just learned to eat food the way it is. I don't
> salt potatoes, eggs, veggies, fries, etc. and I always use unsalted butter.
>
> kilikini

Are you sure you're Hawaiian? Isn't SPAM the state food?

;-)

kilikini

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 16:55:29 GMT, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
>

> > I can't stand the taste of salt! I even pick it off pretzels! My
> > boyfriend, however, *loves* salt. When he cooks, he uses quite a bit

of sea
> > salt and I feel so badly, but I can't eat the food. My mom never used

salt
> > when I was growing up, so I just learned to eat food the way it is. I

don't
> > salt potatoes, eggs, veggies, fries, etc. and I always use unsalted

butter.

> > kilikini
> >

> Are you sure you're Hawaiian? Isn't SPAM the state food?
>
> ;-)
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

Ah yes, SPAM is the state meat, but I'm *not* Hawaiian. I'm one beer
drinking, cheese eating haole originally from Wisconsin and proud of it.
kilikini

Orion

From Kilini..........
> > > I can't stand the taste of salt! I even pick it off pretzels! My

boyfriend, however, *loves* salt. When he cooks, he uses quite a bit of sea
salt and I feel so badly, but I can't eat the food. My mom never used salt
when I was growing up, so I just learned to eat food the way it is. I don't
salt potatoes, eggs, veggies, fries, etc. and I always use unsalted butter.

> > > kilikini
> > >

> > Are you sure you're Hawaiian? Isn't SPAM the state food?
> >
> > ;-)
> >

> > Practice safe eating - always use condiments

> Ah yes, SPAM is the state meat, but I'm *not* Hawaiian. I'm one beer

drinking, cheese eating haole originally from Wisconsin and proud of it.
> kilikini

I knew there was something I liked about you! But what's a haole?

Suzan from WI now in Sandy Eggo

sf

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 04:12:01 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > >

> > Are you sure you're Hawaiian? Isn't SPAM the state food?
> >
> > ;-)
> >

> > Practice safe eating - always use condiments

> Ah yes, SPAM is the state meat, but I'm *not* Hawaiian. I'm one beer
> drinking, cheese eating haole originally from Wisconsin and proud of it.
> kilikini

I totally misread your nom de plume, in that case. Sorry.

sf

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 06:16:44 GMT, sf >
wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 04:12:01 GMT, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
>

> > "sf" > wrote in message
> > > >

> > > Are you sure you're Hawaiian? Isn't SPAM the state food?
> > >
> > > ;-)
> > >

> > > Practice safe eating - always use condiments

> > Ah yes, SPAM is the state meat, but I'm *not* Hawaiian. I'm one beer
> > drinking, cheese eating haole originally from Wisconsin and proud of it.
> > kilikini
> >

> I totally misread your nom de plume, in that case. Sorry.

I take back the "sorry" part... because I missed
"originally" when I posted the last message. You ARE
Hawaiian, IMO. You live there - therefore you are Hawaiian.
Not by blood, but by virtue of living there.

I consider myself a San Franciscan and I post as sf. You
post with a Hawaiian sounding/looking nom de plume. IMO
your intent is to be considered Hawaiian by those who
recognize the lingo, otherwise you'd pick a less "ethnic"
pen name.

kilikini

"sf" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 04:12:01 GMT, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
>

> > "sf" > wrote in message
> > > >

> > > Are you sure you're Hawaiian? Isn't SPAM the state food?
> > >
> > > ;-)
> > >

> > > Practice safe eating - always use condiments

> > Ah yes, SPAM is the state meat, but I'm *not* Hawaiian. I'm one beer
> > drinking, cheese eating haole originally from Wisconsin and proud of

it.
> > kilikini
> >

> I totally misread your nom de plume, in that case. Sorry.
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

No need for sorry. I do live in Hawaii and have resided here for almost 10
years. Prior to that my state of preference was California. I haven't
lived in Wisconsin for over 18 years. - - and very happy to say that.

kilikini

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "kilikini"

She also wrote this in another post:

> No need for sorry. I do live in Hawaii and have resided here for
> almost 10 years. Prior to that my state of preference was
> California. I haven't lived in Wisconsin for over 18 years. - - and
> very happy to say that.

> kilikini

You can call yourself a haole, but once a cheesehead, always a
cheesehead. Go, Vikes! "-)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!
Orion

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in message >...
> In article >, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
>
> > "sf" > wrote in message
> > news
> > > On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 04:12:01 GMT, "kilikini"

> She also wrote this in another post:
>
> > No need for sorry. I do live in Hawaii and have resided here for
> > almost 10 years. Prior to that my state of preference was
> > California. I haven't lived in Wisconsin for over 18 years. - - and
> > very happy to say that.

> > kilikini

> You can call yourself a haole, but once a cheesehead, always a
> cheesehead. Go, Vikes! "-)

too true, Barb. I still have alot of family in the chilly midwest,
they keep asking me when I'm going to move back. It's been over 20
years since I lived in cheesetown, but they still think I'm moving
back. I had a beloved Aunt in Rochester, who passed away recently,
that gave us frozen hot dogs when we visited - when I was little.
Very odd, I thought.

Suzan
Mpoconnor7

When I was a little kid my older brother gave me some rock salt and told me it
was rock candy. I put it in my mouth and puked..

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

"The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".
sf

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 08:04:14 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

> > I totally misread your nom de plume, in that case. Sorry.
> >

> > Practice safe eating - always use condiments

> No need for sorry. I do live in Hawaii and have resided here for almost 10
> years. Prior to that my state of preference was California. I haven't
> lived in Wisconsin for over 18 years. - - and very happy to say that.

Heh, the weather is a *bit* different in the winter, isn't
it? What part of Wisconsin are you from. My sister lives
in Central Wis.

kilikini

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 08:04:14 GMT, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
>

> > > I totally misread your nom de plume, in that case. Sorry.
> > >

> > > Practice safe eating - always use condiments

> > No need for sorry. I do live in Hawaii and have resided here for

almost 10
> > years. Prior to that my state of preference was California. I haven't
> > lived in Wisconsin for over 18 years. - - and very happy to say that.
> >

> Heh, the weather is a *bit* different in the winter, isn't
> it? What part of Wisconsin are you from. My sister lives
> in Central Wis.
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

I was born in Menomonee Falls, but grew up in Brookfield. Both are outside
of Milwaukee.
kili

Orion

> > > No need for sorry. I do live in Hawaii and have resided here for

> almost 10
> > > years. Prior to that my state of preference was California. I

haven't
> > > lived in Wisconsin for over 18 years. - - and very happy to say

that.

> > Heh, the weather is a *bit* different in the winter, isn't
> > it? What part of Wisconsin are you from. My sister lives
> > in Central Wis.
> >

> > Practice safe eating - always use condiments

> I was born in Menomonee Falls, but grew up in Brookfield. Both are

outside
> of Milwaukee.
> kili

Then you've heard of Waukesha. My home town. I also lived in Madison in
1971.

Suzan

kilikini

"Orion" > wrote in message

> > almost 10

> haven't

> that.
> > > >
> > > Heh, the weather is a *bit* different in the winter, isn't
> > > it? What part of Wisconsin are you from. My sister lives
> > > in Central Wis.
> > >

> > > Practice safe eating - always use condiments

> > I was born in Menomonee Falls, but grew up in Brookfield. Both are

> outside
> > of Milwaukee.
> > kili
> >

> Then you've heard of Waukesha. My home town. I also lived in Madison in
> 1971.
>
> Suzan

Susan, my mom lives in Waukesha!
kilikini

kilikini

Default Cheesehead turned Kama Aina WAS Rock salt -- sidewalk vs. stomach

"Frogleg" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 13:48:53 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:

> >You can call yourself a haole, but once a cheesehead, always a
> >cheesehead. Go, Vikes! "-)

> Haole means 'foreigner.' kilikini is saying she's not a native
> Hawaiian. Hey, kilikini, what's the word for native?

Hawaiian? <g> No, just kidding. The Hawaiian people called themselves
Kanaka Maole; Kanaka meaning people, Maole meaning with spirit. The
missionaries became Kama'aina, Kama = same and aina = land, meaning,
loosely, people of the same land. When more people came over, the
foreigners were called haole = without spirit, not from the land. The term
haole has grown over the years to mean only white people. It's usually
used in a derogatory way, as in f*ckin' haole! Excuse my language........

kilikini

Frogleg

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 16:53:48 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>"Frogleg" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Haole means 'foreigner.' kilikini is saying she's not a native
>> Hawaiian. Hey, kilikini, what's the word for native?

>Hawaiian? <g>

I deserved that. :-)

>The Hawaiian people called themselves
>Kanaka Maole; Kanaka meaning people, Maole meaning with spirit. The
>missionaries became Kama'aina, Kama = same and aina = land, meaning,
>loosely, people of the same land. When more people came over, the
>foreigners were called haole = without spirit, not from the land. The term
>haole has grown over the years to mean only white people. It's usually
>used in a derogatory way, as in f*ckin' haole! Excuse my language........

Thank you. I *have* heard Kanaka, but not Kama Aina.
PENMART01

> Frogleg writes:
>
>>"kilikini" wrote:
>>
>>It's usually used in a derogatory way, >>as in f*ckin' haole! Excuse my
>>language........

>Thank you. I *have* heard Kanaka, but not Kama Aina.

In light of the evolving climate shouldn't that be Kama Sutra Anal?

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

kilikini

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> > Frogleg writes:
> >
> >>"kilikini" wrote:
> >>
> >>It's usually used in a derogatory way, >>as in f*ckin' haole! Excuse my
> >>language........

> >Thank you. I *have* heard Kanaka, but not Kama Aina.

> In light of the evolving climate shouldn't that be Kama Sutra Anal?
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> Sheldon
> ````````````
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

ROFL
kili

Orion

> > > I was born in Menomonee Falls, but grew up in Brookfield. Both are
outside of Milwaukee.
> kili
> > >

> > Then you've heard of Waukesha. My home town. I also lived in Madison

in 1971.

> > Suzan
> >

> Susan, my mom lives in Waukesha!
> kilikini

I haven't been there since 1988, but still have aunts, uncles and counsins
there. My family goes way back there, parent's both born there and some of
their parents. Small world, isn't it? I know that one of my cousins lived
in Hawaii for awhile, don't know exactly where. Do you know Brookfield
Square?

Suzan

kilikini

"Orion" > wrote in message
newsVS1c.30161$qL1.4027@fed1read02...

> outside of Milwaukee.
> > kili
> > > >
> > > Then you've heard of Waukesha. My home town. I also lived in Madison

> in 1971.
> > >
> > > Suzan
> > >

> > Susan, my mom lives in Waukesha!
> > kilikini
> >

> I haven't been there since 1988, but still have aunts, uncles and counsins
> there. My family goes way back there, parent's both born there and some

of
> their parents. Small world, isn't it? I know that one of my cousins

lived
> in Hawaii for awhile, don't know exactly where. Do you know Brookfield
> Square?
>
> Suzan

I used to work at the Limited in Brookfield Square. Small world.
kili

blake murphy

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 16:53:48 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:
> The term
>haole has grown over the years to mean only white people. It's usually
>used in a derogatory way, as in f*ckin' haole! Excuse my language........
>
>kilikini

i was wondering about that. but these kind of terms are usually
derogatory, aren't they?

your honky pal,
blake
kilikini

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 16:53:48 GMT, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
> > The term
> >haole has grown over the years to mean only white people. It's usually
> >used in a derogatory way, as in f*ckin' haole! Excuse my

language........

> >kilikini
> >

> i was wondering about that. but these kind of terms are usually
> derogatory, aren't they?
>
> your honky pal,
> blake

Yep, they're derogatory. That's why there's always the f*ckin' in front of
it. LOL
kili