Chris Neidecker

Default Raspberry Chipotle Sauce

Has anyone tried the Raspberry Chipotle Sauce from Oasis Foods? It's the
only kind I've been able to find, and it's leaving me a little perplexed.
Last night I cooked some brined, boneless/skinless chicken breasts on the
ridged grill pan, and near the end of cooking, added some of the sauce to
let it glaze up a bit.

This bottle of sauce (not huge; same size as a bottle of supermarket BBQ
sauce) cost $7 (!!!) so I was really hoping it would knock my socks off and
change my life. Next time, I will add a little ground chipotle to it...the
heat and smoke were a little too subtle, and it was too sweet.

It tasted like raspberry jelly w/ a bit of a kick at the end, but nothing
special. Since I haven't been able to find Dan T's or any other brand, I
have nothing to compare it to. Is that what it's supposed to be? Or is the
Oasis brand missing the mark?

Ginny Sher

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 13:40:58 GMT, "Chris Neidecker"
> wrote:

>Has anyone tried the Raspberry Chipotle Sauce from Oasis Foods? It's the
>only kind I've been able to find, and it's leaving me a little perplexed.
>Last night I cooked some brined, boneless/skinless chicken breasts on the
>ridged grill pan, and near the end of cooking, added some of the sauce to
>let it glaze up a bit.
>
>This bottle of sauce (not huge; same size as a bottle of supermarket BBQ
>sauce) cost $7 (!!!) so I was really hoping it would knock my socks off and
>change my life. Next time, I will add a little ground chipotle to it...the
>heat and smoke were a little too subtle, and it was too sweet.
>
>It tasted like raspberry jelly w/ a bit of a kick at the end, but nothing
>special. Since I haven't been able to find Dan T's or any other brand, I
>have nothing to compare it to. Is that what it's supposed to be? Or is the
>Oasis brand missing the mark?

Don't know about Oasis Foods brand, but Costco (if you have one
nearby) offers Fischer & Wieser RCS for a much better price. It's a 40
oz. bottle and costs about $7. I think it is very good although I
admittedly have never tried any other brand. I believe F&W has a good
reputation for its products. HTH

Ginny
Jason Tinling

Chris,

Search the alt.food.barbecue archive's for Chef Juke's Raspberry
Chipotle BBQ sacue. Beats the tar out of anything available at the
store.

Jason

kilikini

Jason Tinling wrote:
> Chris,
>
> Search the alt.food.barbecue archive's for Chef Juke's Raspberry
> Chipotle BBQ sacue. Beats the tar out of anything available at the
> store.
>
> Jason

And a fine human being he is too! Met him in person 6 months ago at my
friend's BBQ joint opening/my wedding. Great guy.

kili

Ginny Sher

:

>> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 13:40:58 GMT, "Chris Neidecker"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Has anyone tried the Raspberry Chipotle Sauce from Oasis Foods? It's
>>>the only kind I've been able to find, and it's leaving me a little
>>>perplexed. Last night I cooked some brined, boneless/skinless chicken
>>>breasts on the ridged grill pan, and near the end of cooking, added
>>>some of the sauce to let it glaze up a bit.
>>>
>>>This bottle of sauce (not huge; same size as a bottle of supermarket
>>>BBQ sauce) cost $7 (!!!) so I was really hoping it would knock my
>>>socks off and change my life. Next time, I will add a little ground
>>>chipotle to it...the heat and smoke were a little too subtle, and it
>>>was too sweet.
>>>
>>>It tasted like raspberry jelly w/ a bit of a kick at the end, but
>>>nothing special. Since I haven't been able to find Dan T's or any
>>>other brand, I have nothing to compare it to. Is that what it's
>>>supposed to be? Or is the Oasis brand missing the mark?
>>>

>> Don't know about Oasis Foods brand, but Costco (if you have one
>> nearby) offers Fischer & Wieser RCS for a much better price. It's a 40
>> oz. bottle and costs about $7. I think it is very good although I
>> admittedly have never tried any other brand. I believe F&W has a good
>> reputation for its products. HTH
>>
>> Ginny

>I have never tried the brand or the sauce before. OTOH I have a Raspberry
>Chipotle Salsa that will give anyone a life changing experience It is
>excellent on/in chicken dishes or casseroles.
>
>Michael

Allrightythen... don't keep us in suspense, post the recipe!

Ginny

Frank Mancuso

Ginny Sher wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 13:40:58 GMT, "Chris Neidecker"
> > wrote:
>

>>Has anyone tried the Raspberry Chipotle Sauce from Oasis Foods? It's the
>>only kind I've been able to find, and it's leaving me a little perplexed.
>>Last night I cooked some brined, boneless/skinless chicken breasts on the
>>ridged grill pan, and near the end of cooking, added some of the sauce to
>>let it glaze up a bit.
>>
>>This bottle of sauce (not huge; same size as a bottle of supermarket BBQ
>>sauce) cost $7 (!!!) so I was really hoping it would knock my socks off and
>>change my life. Next time, I will add a little ground chipotle to it...the
>>heat and smoke were a little too subtle, and it was too sweet.
>>
>>It tasted like raspberry jelly w/ a bit of a kick at the end, but nothing
>>special. Since I haven't been able to find Dan T's or any other brand, I
>>have nothing to compare it to. Is that what it's supposed to be? Or is the
>>Oasis brand missing the mark?
>>

> Don't know about Oasis Foods brand, but Costco (if you have one
> nearby) offers Fischer & Wieser RCS for a much better price. It's a 40
> oz. bottle and costs about $7. I think it is very good although I
> admittedly have never tried any other brand. I believe F&W has a good
> reputation for its products. HTH
>
> Ginny

I'm parttial to the F&W Sauce too, and it is made just up the road in
Fredrickburg, Tx:
http://www.jelly.com/rrcs.htm
And here's a good recipe:

Raspberry Chipotle Sauce Recipe

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup small diced onion
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons chipotle chiles in adobo, chopped
2 pints fresh raspberries, rinsed
1/2 cup raspberry vinegar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Instructions
In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and
cook, stirring, until soft and slightly caramelized, 4 minutes. Add the
garlic to the pan and saute for 1 minute. Add the chipotles and cook,
stirring continuously, for 1 minute. Add the raspberries and cook until
soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the vinegar and stir to deglaze the pan. Add
the sugar and salt, and bring to a boil.

Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until thickened and reduced by
half, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool before using.

For a clear glaze, strain through a fine mesh strainer, pressing on the
solids with the back of a spoon to extract as much liquid as possible.

Serving Suggestions:
Use as a barbecue sauce, glaze, or basting sauce for poultry, shrimp,
and meats. Pour over a block of cream cheese and serve as a dip with
club crackers. Use as a sauce for meatballs or cocktail sausages for a
crowd-pleasing appetizer. Great in wraps.

Yield: about 1-1/2 cups

Credits
Recipe adapted from: Emeril Lagasse
Ranee Mueller

In article <Kpu7e.3$c93.1@trnddc08>, "Chris Neidecker"
> wrote:

> Has anyone tried the Raspberry Chipotle Sauce from Oasis Foods?

Where do you live? I haven't heard about Oasis since I moved from
Eugene.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove Do Not and Spam to email

See my Blog at: http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Chris Neidecker

"Ranee Mueller" > wrote in message
> Where do you live? I haven't heard about Oasis since I moved from
> Eugene.

I live in northern Virginia. Bought the sauce at the new
bigger-and-better-than-anyone-needs Safeway in town. I didn't check the
bottle (and can't right now, w/ toddler hanging on leg)...is it made in
Oregon? I will check next time I go to the fridge.

Chris Neidecker

"Jason Tinling" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Chris,
>
> Search the alt.food.barbecue archive's for Chef Juke's Raspberry
> Chipotle BBQ sacue. Beats the tar out of anything available at the
> store.
>
> Jason

Thanks! WIll check it out later!

Melba's Jammin'

x-no-archive: yes

In article <Kpu7e.3$c93.1@trnddc08>, "Chris Neidecker"
> wrote:

> Has anyone tried the Raspberry Chipotle Sauce from Oasis Foods? It's the
> only kind I've been able to find, and it's leaving me a little perplexed.
> Last night I cooked some brined, boneless/skinless chicken breasts on the
> ridged grill pan, and near the end of cooking, added some of the sauce to
> let it glaze up a bit.
>
> This bottle of sauce (not huge; same size as a bottle of supermarket
> BBQ sauce) cost $7 (!!!) so I was really hoping it would knock my
> socks off and change my life. Next time, I will add a little ground
> chipotle to it...the heat and smoke were a little too subtle, and it
> was too sweet.

Chris, maybe this will get you a start:

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Cherry Chipotle Sauce

Recipe By : Barb Schaller - MINE - original (see notes at end)
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Condiments

2 dried chipotle peppers
1 cup dried cranberries
1 ounce sun-dried tomatoes
33 ounces frozen sweet cherries
1 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup cherry juice
3 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon citric acid
1 ounce dried raspberries, re-hydrated in water to
cover
1/2 teaspoon garlic granules
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
8 ounces cherry jelly
8 ounces blackberry jelly
3 ounces liquid pectin (1 pouch)

Rehydrate the chipotle peppers in water for about 30 minutes. Drain and
reserve liquid. Chop the chipotles (remove stems). Grind (coarse
plate) the cherries, cranberries, tomatoes to make about 5 cups ground
mixture. Add everything else except pectin and cook over low to medium
heat until slightly thickened -- 20-30 minutes? Add some of the
chipotle water if it looks like it could stand it. Bring to boil and
stir in pectin; boil for one minute and remove from heat.

Pour into 9 prepared half pint jars. Process in a boiling water bath
for 15 minutes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : This is roughly based on Harry & David's Berry Chipotle Sauce.
Theirs has a heavier smoky flavor.

Next time, use 4 dried chipotles.

The jellies are there because I wanted to get them out of the fridge and
figured they wouldn't hurt the sauce. They didn't. This has a nice
sneaky heat to it. Not too much.

Some recipe, huh?
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Cam Ranh Bay food added 4-8-05.
Sam I Am! updated 4-9-05.

Chris Neidecker

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> The jellies are there because I wanted to get them out of the fridge and
> figured they wouldn't hurt the sauce. They didn't. This has a nice
> sneaky heat to it. Not too much.
>
> Some recipe, huh?

Wow, that is...you came up with that in one try? Looks like a lot of fun to
make!! And it looks like it makes a ton, too (might be nice to bottle for
Christmas gifts or something). Thanks Barb!

Ranee Mueller

In article <VYC7e.15236$hB6.7677@trnddc06>, "Chris Neidecker"
> wrote:

> I live in northern Virginia. Bought the sauce at the new
> bigger-and-better-than-anyone-needs Safeway in town. I didn't check the
> bottle (and can't right now, w/ toddler hanging on leg)...is it made in
> Oregon? I will check next time I go to the fridge.

It might be. There's an Oasis local chain there which had its own
food, don't know if it is the same people.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove Do Not and Spam to email

See my Blog at: http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Melba's Jammin'

In article <DVt8e.4691$c93.509@trnddc08>, "Chris Neidecker"
> wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > The jellies are there because I wanted to get them out of the
> > fridge and figured they wouldn't hurt the sauce. They didn't.
> > This has a nice sneaky heat to it. Not too much. Some recipe,
> > huh?

> Wow, that is...you came up with that in one try? Looks like a lot of
> fun to make!! And it looks like it makes a ton, too (might be nice
> to bottle for Christmas gifts or something). Thanks Barb!

It was one of those that I made up as I went along (I don't often do
that, BTW). And I wrote it down, besides! :-o) I've enjoyed the
Harry & David's stuff that inspired it and was looking at that
ingredient list -- "Let's see, I've got cranberries, raspberries,
tomatoes . . . " and figured the jellies and pectin would add a little
body to it. It was pretty darned good.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Cam Ranh Bay food added 4-8-05.
Sam I Am! updated 4-9-05.
Shaun aRe

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yes

> > Has anyone tried the Raspberry Chipotle Sauce from Oasis Foods? It's

the
> > only kind I've been able to find, and it's leaving me a little

perplexed.
> > Last night I cooked some brined, boneless/skinless chicken breasts on

the
> > ridged grill pan, and near the end of cooking, added some of the sauce

> > let it glaze up a bit.
> >
> > This bottle of sauce (not huge; same size as a bottle of supermarket
> > BBQ sauce) cost $7 (!!!) so I was really hoping it would knock my
> > socks off and change my life. Next time, I will add a little ground
> > chipotle to it...the heat and smoke were a little too subtle, and it
> > was too sweet.

If you own your own smoker, you can make your own smoked peppers, then work
up a sauce from those perhaps? I know I far prefer my own smoked chiles and
the sauces from them, than any commercial ones I've tried.

I medium hot to hot smoke mine over cherry/oak woods, half/half until they
are totally dry, then powder them and add to a sauce base, most often.

Shaun aRe