Melba's Jammin'

x-no-archive: yes

In article <Kpu7e.3$c93.1@trnddc08>, "Chris Neidecker"
> wrote:

> Has anyone tried the Raspberry Chipotle Sauce from Oasis Foods? It's the
> only kind I've been able to find, and it's leaving me a little perplexed.
> Last night I cooked some brined, boneless/skinless chicken breasts on the
> ridged grill pan, and near the end of cooking, added some of the sauce to
> let it glaze up a bit.
>
> This bottle of sauce (not huge; same size as a bottle of supermarket
> BBQ sauce) cost $7 (!!!) so I was really hoping it would knock my
> socks off and change my life. Next time, I will add a little ground
> chipotle to it...the heat and smoke were a little too subtle, and it
> was too sweet.

Chris, maybe this will get you a start:

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Cherry Chipotle Sauce

Recipe By : Barb Schaller - MINE - original (see notes at end)
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Condiments

2 dried chipotle peppers
1 cup dried cranberries
1 ounce sun-dried tomatoes
33 ounces frozen sweet cherries
1 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup cherry juice
3 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon citric acid
1 ounce dried raspberries, re-hydrated in water to
cover
1/2 teaspoon garlic granules
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
8 ounces cherry jelly
8 ounces blackberry jelly
3 ounces liquid pectin (1 pouch)

Rehydrate the chipotle peppers in water for about 30 minutes. Drain and
reserve liquid. Chop the chipotles (remove stems). Grind (coarse
plate) the cherries, cranberries, tomatoes to make about 5 cups ground
mixture. Add everything else except pectin and cook over low to medium
heat until slightly thickened -- 20-30 minutes? Add some of the
chipotle water if it looks like it could stand it. Bring to boil and
stir in pectin; boil for one minute and remove from heat.

Pour into 9 prepared half pint jars. Process in a boiling water bath
for 15 minutes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : This is roughly based on Harry & David's Berry Chipotle Sauce.
Theirs has a heavier smoky flavor.

Next time, use 4 dried chipotles.

The jellies are there because I wanted to get them out of the fridge and
figured they wouldn't hurt the sauce. They didn't. This has a nice
sneaky heat to it. Not too much.

Some recipe, huh?
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Cam Ranh Bay food added 4-8-05.