Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Green onions

Please would someone define these for me?

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/28/2013 9:00 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> Please would someone define these for me?

Do you know scallions?

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 28, 2013 8:05:54 AM UTC-5, Nancy Young wrote:

> On 8/28/2013 9:00 AM, Ophelia wrote: > Please would someone define these for me?

> Do you know scallions? nancy

Yep, I notice chefs call them scallions while most of us plain folk just call them green onions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> Please would someone define these for me?

Green onions are the top green portions (soft stems) of onions, not
the traditional root. I don't think green onions produce the large
root bulb. I do think it's a different species. If wrong, I will be
corrected swiftly here. heheh

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> Please would someone define these for me?

http://www.botany.com/allium.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> Please would someone define these for me?

> Green onions are the top green portions (soft stems) of onions, not
> the traditional root. I don't think green onions produce the large
> root bulb. I do think it's a different species. If wrong, I will be
> corrected swiftly here. heheh

Thanks, Gary I think I have it now

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 8/28/2013 9:00 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> Please would someone define these for me?
>>

> Do you know scallions?

I do indeed! Thank you
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-08-28 9:39 AM, Gary wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> Please would someone define these for me?

> Green onions are the top green portions (soft stems) of onions, not
> the traditional root. I don't think green onions produce the large
> root bulb. I do think it's a different species. If wrong, I will be
> corrected swiftly here. heheh

Home grown and farmers market green onions tend to have a much larger
bulb end than what you usually see in grocery stores. Shoppers seem to
prefer them to all be roughly the same size and shape.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 28, 2013 10:02:46 AM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:

> Spring onions have much larger bulbs than green onions.

Not in the UK. And probably not anywhere else.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 09:39:56 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
>> Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> Please would someone define these for me?

>> Green onions are the top green portions (soft stems) of onions, not
>> the traditional root. I don't think green onions produce the large
>> root bulb. I do think it's a different species. If wrong, I will be
>> corrected swiftly here. heheh

> <http://www.wikihow.com/Tell-the-Difference-Between-Spring-Onions,-Shallots,-and-Green-Onions>

We have all those too. Sometimes our spring onions (or syboes) have the
very thin bulb and some the thicker bulb, but they all seem to be called the
same thing. I use shallots if I want a milder onion or to pickle.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 14:00:37 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> Please would someone define these for me?

AKA: scallions
http://www.illinoistimes.com/Springf...en-onions.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-08-28, Ophelia > wrote:
> Please would someone define these for me?

Someone already has:

http://www.foodsubs.com/Onionsgreen.html

Great resource.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 09:39:56 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> Please would someone define these for me?

>Green onions are the top green portions (soft stems) of onions, not
>the traditional root. I don't think green onions produce the large
>root bulb. I do think it's a different species. If wrong, I will be
>corrected swiftly here. heheh
>
>G.

I don't understand what you are saying. Are you suggesting that you
use only the dark green portion of the growth? You should be using
everything right down to the hairy attached root.
http://tinyurl.com/cyxz26j
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2013-08-28, Ophelia > wrote:
>> Please would someone define these for me?

> Someone already has:
>
> http://www.foodsubs.com/Onionsgreen.html
>
> Great resource.

Ahaaaaaaaa so, green onion/spring onion/scallions all one and the same!!!

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 14:00:37 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>> Please would someone define these for me?
>>

> AKA: scallions
> http://www.illinoistimes.com/Springf...en-onions.html

Well that is pretty definitive
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/28/2013 8:09 AM, Helpful person wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 28, 2013 10:02:46 AM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> Spring onions have much larger bulbs than green onions.
>>

> Not in the UK. And probably not anywhere else.

Incorrect. A spring onion, here in the US anywya, is an onion with long
green stalks and a bulb the size of a golf ball.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Wednesday, August 28, 2013 10:02:46 AM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
> >
> > Spring onions have much larger bulbs than green onions.
> >

> Not in the UK. And probably not anywhere else.

Spring onions is one of those terms that means a different thing in
different countries.

http://www.wikihow.com/Tell-the-Diff...pring-Onions,-
Shallots,-and-Green-Onions

In the UK, the straight, bulbless mild "onions" are called spring
onions, salad onions, or syboes in Scotland.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/28/2013 10:40 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 14:00:37 +0100, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Please would someone define these for me?
>>>

>> AKA: scallions
>> http://www.illinoistimes.com/Springf...en-onions.html
>>

> Well that is pretty definitive

Green onions *can* be the tops of undeveloped regular onions but usually
are from various related species that do not form bulbs. The Wiki
article is quite good and corroborates the Scots name "cyboe" that
Ophelia mentioned. The name is apparently a Scots form of "cibol",
meaning onion, and cognate with Spanish "cibolla". I had completely
forgotten the name "cyboe". In the US, especially Appalachia, people
like to gather wild green onions or "ramps" but their flavor is a bit
strong for me.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> On 8/28/2013 10:40 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>> On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 14:00:37 +0100, "Ophelia"

>>> AKA: scallions
>>> http://www.illinoistimes.com/Springf...en-onions.html
>>>

>> Well that is pretty definitive

> Green onions *can* be the tops of undeveloped regular onions but usually
> are from various related species that do not form bulbs. The Wiki article
> is quite good and corroborates the Scots name "cyboe" that Ophelia
> mentioned. The name is apparently a Scots form of "cibol", meaning onion,
> and cognate with Spanish "cibolla". I had completely forgotten the name
> "cyboe". In the US, especially Appalachia, people like to gather wild
> green onions or "ramps" but their flavor is a bit strong for me.

I wonder if ramps are the same as ramsons, which is wild garlic?

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

> Spring onions is one of those terms that means a different thing in
> different countries.
>
> http://www.wikihow.com/Tell-the-Diff...pring-Onions,-
> Shallots,-and-Green-Onions
>
> In the UK, the straight, bulbless mild "onions" are called spring
> onions, salad onions, or syboes in Scotland.

I've never seen green onions, but I often have a spring onion ("cipollotto")
or a shallot ("scalogno"), spring onions for salads and shallots for sauces
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 09:39:56 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> >Ophelia wrote:
> >>
> >> Please would someone define these for me?

> >Green onions are the top green portions (soft stems) of onions, not
> >the traditional root. I don't think green onions produce the large
> >root bulb. I do think it's a different species. If wrong, I will be
> >corrected swiftly here. heheh
> >
> >G.

> I don't understand what you are saying. Are you suggesting that you
> use only the dark green portion of the growth? You should be using
> everything right down to the hairy attached root.

I use it all, Janet. Just defining green onions with the smaller root.
The top green parts are good for salad or garnishing a soup. I do use
them right down to the root hairs though.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/28/2013 10:40 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "notbob" > wrote in message
>> On 2013-08-28, Ophelia > wrote:
>>> Please would someone define these for me?

>> Someone already has:
>>
>> http://www.foodsubs.com/Onionsgreen.html
>>
>> Great resource.

> Ahaaaaaaaa so, green onion/spring onion/scallions all one and the same!!!

Green onions and scallions are the same.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/28/2013 11:01 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "James Silverton" > wrote in message

>>> Well that is pretty definitive

>> Green onions *can* be the tops of undeveloped regular onions but
>> usually are from various related species that do not form bulbs. The
>> Wiki article is quite good and corroborates the Scots name "cyboe"
>> that Ophelia mentioned. The name is apparently a Scots form of
>> "cibol", meaning onion, and cognate with Spanish "cibolla". I had
>> completely forgotten the name "cyboe". In the US, especially
>> Appalachia, people like to gather wild green onions or "ramps" but
>> their flavor is a bit strong for me.

> I wonder if ramps are the same as ramsons, which is wild garlic?

That would not surprise me and The OED agrees with you calling "ramp"
Northern.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 28, 2013 11:01:09 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:

> I wonder if ramps are the same as ramsons, which is wild garlic?

No, they are not. By the way, what is wild
garlic like? I've smelt it but never tried to
cook it. (Of course is very difficult to
described a flavor, but maybe someone can.)

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 14:43:22 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Gary" > wrote in message ...
>> Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> Please would someone define these for me?

>> Green onions are the top green portions (soft stems) of onions, not
>> the traditional root. I don't think green onions produce the large
>> root bulb. I do think it's a different species. If wrong, I will be
>> corrected swiftly here. heheh

>Thanks, Gary I think I have it now

The confusion seems to come from all the different names people use
for these. Here in Australia there are lots. in WA we call them spring
onions (and they are very cheap at the moment, about $1.00 for a bunch
of ten), in other states the names are eschallots, shallots or
scallions. I have never heard or seen them referred to as green
onions, although this does seem a good name for them as it is a
perfect description and would avoid confusion in written recipes.

JB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

x-no-archive; yes

On 8/28/2013 11:11 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

> Green onions and scallions are the same.

Where I live and shop, this is what green onions a

http://tinyurl.com/ndjfwx2

vs scallions:

http://tinyurl.com/p76t4kd

They may come from the same seed, but I don't see them labeled on
shelves the same way.

Susan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 08:51:07 -0600, casa contenta > wrote:

> On 8/28/2013 8:09 AM, Helpful person wrote:
> > On Wednesday, August 28, 2013 10:02:46 AM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
> >>
> >> Spring onions have much larger bulbs than green onions.
> >>

> > Not in the UK. And probably not anywhere else.
> >

> Incorrect. A spring onion, here in the US anywya, is an onion with long
> green stalks and a bulb the size of a golf ball.

spring onion
http://peckthebeak.com/wp-content/up...vestwizard.jpg
green onion
http://thethriftycouple.com/wp-conte...nion-bunch.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 11:11:59 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> On 8/28/2013 10:40 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> >> Someone already has:
> >>
> >> http://www.foodsubs.com/Onionsgreen.html
> >>
> >> Great resource.

> > Ahaaaaaaaa so, green onion/spring onion/scallions all one and the same!!!

> Green onions and scallions are the same.

I think where Ophelia lives, they're all terms for the same thing. I
wonder what they call our "spring" onions?

I've never heard the term "green onions" in reference to onion tops
before this thread, they are called "onion greens" in my part of the
world. They are not sold anywhere without an onion attached, so it's
just kitchen terminology.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 08:46:16 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 08:51:07 -0600, casa contenta > wrote:

>> > Not in the UK. And probably not anywhere else.
>> >

>> Incorrect. A spring onion, here in the US anywya, is an onion with long
>> green stalks and a bulb the size of a golf ball.

>spring onion
>http://peckthebeak.com/wp-content/up...vestwizard.jpg
>green onion
>http://thethriftycouple.com/wp-conte...nion-bunch.jpg

They look like the same species to me, just one is more mature than
the other.

I have never seen the one with the more bulbous root here.

JB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Susan" > wrote in message
> x-no-archive; yes
>
> On 8/28/2013 11:11 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> Green onions and scallions are the same.
>>

> Where I live and shop, this is what green onions a
>

> http://tinyurl.com/ndjfwx2
>
> vs scallions:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/p76t4kd
>
> They may come from the same seed, but I don't see them labeled on shelves
> the same way.

So would you use each differently?

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JBurns" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 14:43:22 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

>>> Green onions are the top green portions (soft stems) of onions, not
>>> the traditional root. I don't think green onions produce the large
>>> root bulb. I do think it's a different species. If wrong, I will be
>>> corrected swiftly here. heheh

>>Thanks, Gary I think I have it now

> The confusion seems to come from all the different names people use
> for these. Here in Australia there are lots. in WA we call them spring
> onions (and they are very cheap at the moment, about $1.00 for a bunch
> of ten), in other states the names are eschallots, shallots or
> scallions. I have never heard or seen them referred to as green
> onions, although this does seem a good name for them as it is a
> perfect description and would avoid confusion in written recipes.

I think discussions like this are very helpful when looking through recipes
of other nations.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 8/28/2013 10:40 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Someone already has:
>>>
>>> http://www.foodsubs.com/Onionsgreen.html
>>>
>>> Great resource.

>> Ahaaaaaaaa so, green onion/spring onion/scallions all one and the same!!!

> Green onions and scallions are the same.

... and spring onion if those sites are to be trusted

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 08:28:09 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 09:39:56 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>

> >Green onions are the top green portions (soft stems) of onions, not
> >the traditional root. I don't think green onions produce the large
> >root bulb. I do think it's a different species. If wrong, I will be
> >corrected swiftly here. heheh
> >
> >G.

> I don't understand what you are saying. Are you suggesting that you
> use only the dark green portion of the growth? You should be using
> everything right down to the hairy attached root.
> http://tinyurl.com/cyxz26j
> Janet US

There are people who only use the green part of a green onion, strange
- but true! In fact, I have one of them in my own family.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 28, 2013 6:00:37 AM UTC-7, Ophelia wrote:
> Please would someone define these for me?

My Austrian grandmother would always slice them for her vinegar-and-oil potato salad, so I looked them up in German yahoo. They are called frühlingszwiebeln or spring onions -- the narrow bulbed kind.

http://de.images.search.yahoo.com/se...hlingszwiebeln
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/28/2013 11:59 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message

>>> Ahaaaaaaaa so, green onion/spring onion/scallions all one and the
>>> same!!!

>> Green onions and scallions are the same.

> .. and spring onion if those sites are to be trusted

I only believe the one Steve posted, because it's right in my opinion.
(laugh)

Spring onions have larger bulbs, green onions/scallions are just about
straight.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 28, 2013 9:00:37 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> Please would someone define these for me?

I call them scallions but my market labels them as green onions. I used to get all shook if I didn't have any on hand - now I just cut up some Vidalia or Spanish and let it go at that.
I dry the thin, green tops in my dehydrator and chop em up, rather than buy chives in a jar.