Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Default Green onions?

I see that quite a few American recipes have "green onions" in them.
Does anyone know what the British equivalent is? Are they what we call
spring onions?

Thanks.
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Corey Richardson wrote:
> I see that quite a few American recipes have "green onions" in them.
> Does anyone know what the British equivalent is? Are they what we call
> spring onions?

Close enough.
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

"Corey Richardson" > wrote in message
>I see that quite a few American recipes have "green onions" in them.
> Does anyone know what the British equivalent is? Are they what we call
> spring onions?
>
> Thanks.

Spring onions are also called scallions in some parts of Britain.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 08:21:07 -0700 (PDT), Sheldon >
wrote:

>Corey Richardson wrote:
>> I see that quite a few American recipes have "green onions" in them.
>> Does anyone know what the British equivalent is? Are they what we call
>> spring onions?

>Close enough.

Thank you.
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Corey Richardson wrote:

> I see that quite a few American recipes have "green onions" in them.
> Does anyone know what the British equivalent is? Are they what we call
> spring onions?
>
> Thanks.

Another name for green onions that some folks use is "scallions" and
part of the allium family. They're almost like chives, although a bit
larger. They're sort of like leeks in appearance, too, but not nearly
as large as those.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 16:25:47 +0100, "Kevin T-man" >
wrote:

>"Corey Richardson" > wrote in message
.. .
>>I see that quite a few American recipes have "green onions" in them.
>> Does anyone know what the British equivalent is? Are they what we call
>> spring onions?
>>
>> Thanks.

>Spring onions are also called scallions in some parts of Britain.

I didn't know that. I knew the Irish called them that sometimes.
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:28:56 -0500, Sky >
wrote:

>Corey Richardson wrote:
>>
>> I see that quite a few American recipes have "green onions" in them.
>> Does anyone know what the British equivalent is? Are they what we call
>> spring onions?
>>
>> Thanks.

>Another name for green onions that some folks use is "scallions" and
>part of the allium family. They're almost like chives, although a bit
>larger. They're sort of like leeks in appearance, too, but not nearly
>as large as those.
>
>Sky

Got it. Thank you to you too.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Corey Richardson wrote:
> I see that quite a few American recipes have "green onions" in them.
> Does anyone know what the British equivalent is? Are they what we call
> spring onions?
>
> Thanks.

Please don't get Sqwertz started again
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 12:42:58 -0500, Scott > wrote:

>Corey Richardson wrote:
>> I see that quite a few American recipes have "green onions" in them.
>> Does anyone know what the British equivalent is? Are they what we call
>> spring onions?
>>
>> Thanks.

>Please don't get Sqwertz started again

I'm sure he's poured a torrent of abuse my way.

Sqwertz appears to be a foul-mouthed troll

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Scott wrote:

> Corey Richardson wrote:
> > I see that quite a few American recipes have "green onions" in them.
> > Does anyone know what the British equivalent is? Are they what we call
> > spring onions?
> >
> > Thanks.

> Please don't get Sqwertz started again

I thought Corey's question was reasonable. It's some of the

Sky, who's starting to run out of shoes!

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 12:47:54 -0500, Sky >
wrote:

>Scott wrote:
>>
>> Corey Richardson wrote:
>> > I see that quite a few American recipes have "green onions" in them.
>> > Does anyone know what the British equivalent is? Are they what we call
>> > spring onions?
>> >
>> > Thanks.

>> Please don't get Sqwertz started again

>I thought Corey's question was reasonable. It's some of the
>
>Sky, who's starting to run out of shoes!

Hopefully it was more reasonable than the Julia Child & Gymnastics
trolls that seem to get replied to on RFC.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Corey Richardson wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 12:42:58 -0500, Scott > wrote:
>
>>Corey Richardson wrote:
>>> I see that quite a few American recipes have "green onions" in them.
>>> Does anyone know what the British equivalent is? Are they what we
>>> call spring onions?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

>>Please don't get Sqwertz started again

> I'm sure he's poured a torrent of abuse my way.
>
> Sqwertz appears to be a foul-mouthed troll

Don't you mean 'fowl-mouthed'?
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy - adopting the 'If you can't beat them, join them'

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:
> Scott wrote:
>> Corey Richardson wrote:
>>> I see that quite a few American recipes have "green onions" in them.
>>> Does anyone know what the British equivalent is? Are they what we call
>>> spring onions?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

>> Please don't get Sqwertz started again

> I thought Corey's question was reasonable. It's some of the
>
> Sky, who's starting to run out of shoes!

That's my whole point
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Corey Richardson wrote:

> I see that quite a few American recipes have "green onions" in them.
> Does anyone know what the British equivalent is? Are they what we call
> spring onions?
>
> Thanks.

Spring onions, salad onions, scallions; take your pick.
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 17:17:36 -0600, Arri London >
wrote:

>Corey Richardson wrote:
>>
>> I see that quite a few American recipes have "green onions" in them.
>> Does anyone know what the British equivalent is? Are they what we call
>> spring onions?
>>
>> Thanks.

>Spring onions, salad onions, scallions; take your pick.

Also called "bunching onions."

Boron

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 18:44:35 +0100, Corey Richardson wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 12:42:58 -0500, Scott > wrote:
>
>>Corey Richardson wrote:
>>> I see that quite a few American recipes have "green onions" in them.
>>> Does anyone know what the British equivalent is? Are they what we call
>>> spring onions?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

>>Please don't get Sqwertz started again

> I'm sure he's poured a torrent of abuse my way.
>
> Sqwertz appears to be a foul-mouthed troll

sqwertz is at times irascible, but he is knowledgeable about food. he
posts some useful things.

your pal,
blake
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 20:42:50 -0400, Boron Elgar wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 17:17:36 -0600, Arri London >
> wrote:
>

>>Corey Richardson wrote:
>>>
>>> I see that quite a few American recipes have "green onions" in them.
>>> Does anyone know what the British equivalent is? Are they what we call
>>> spring onions?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

>>Spring onions, salad onions, scallions; take your pick.

> Also called "bunching onions."
>
> Boron

here's an image:

<http://www.maysiesfarm.org/csa/soto/scallions.jpg>

your pal,
blake
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 18:44:35 +0100, Corey Richardson wrote:

>>>Please don't get Sqwertz started again

>> I'm sure he's poured a torrent of abuse my way.
>>
>> Sqwertz appears to be a foul-mouthed troll

> sqwertz is at times irascible, but he is knowledgeable about food. he
> posts some useful things.

This is true.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 18:44:35 +0100, Corey Richardson wrote:

>>> Please don't get Sqwertz started again

>> I'm sure he's poured a torrent of abuse my way.
>>
>> Sqwertz appears to be a foul-mouthed troll

> sqwertz is at times irascible, but he is knowledgeable about food. he
> posts some useful things.
>
> your pal,
> blake

He's given me some good advice before.
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
> blake murphy wrote:

>>> I'm sure he's poured a torrent of abuse my way.
>>>
>>> Sqwertz appears to be a foul-mouthed troll

>> sqwertz is at times irascible, but he is knowledgeable about food. he
>> posts some useful things.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> He's given me some good advice before.

I would take Steve over that idiot any day.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

"Corey Richardson" > wrote in message
>I see that quite a few American recipes have "green onions" in them.
> Does anyone know what the British equivalent is? Are they what we call
> spring onions?
>
> Thanks.

This might be helpful:

http://www.foodsubs.com/Onionsdry.html

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 17:17:36 -0600, Arri London >
> wrote:
>

> >Corey Richardson wrote:
> >>
> >> I see that quite a few American recipes have "green onions" in them.
> >> Does anyone know what the British equivalent is? Are they what we call
> >> spring onions?
> >>
> >> Thanks.

> >Spring onions, salad onions, scallions; take your pick.

> Also called "bunching onions."

True but I've only ever seen that on seed packets and sets for planting
from the garden shop.

> Boron

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Corey Richardson wrote:
> I see that quite a few American recipes have "green onions" in them.
> Does anyone know what the British equivalent is? Are they what we call
> spring onions?

When I was a kid what we now call green onions used to be called spring
onions. They look like skinny leeks but with darker green tops.
Sometimes they are slightly bulbed at the white end but are usually
almost straight tube shaped.
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 17:32:58 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Corey Richardson wrote:
>> I see that quite a few American recipes have "green onions" in them.
>> Does anyone know what the British equivalent is? Are they what we call
>> spring onions?
>>

>When I was a kid what we now call green onions used to be called spring
>onions.

It's probably more accurate to call them green onions - it's not as if
they're not available year round now.
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 14:35:38 -0500, Scott > wrote:

>blake murphy wrote:

>>> I'm sure he's poured a torrent of abuse my way.
>>>
>>> Sqwertz appears to be a foul-mouthed troll

>> sqwertz is at times irascible, but he is knowledgeable about food. he
>> posts some useful things.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

>He's given me some good advice before.

Oh, OK. Maybe I should un-killfile him then.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Corey Richardson wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 17:32:58 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> Corey Richardson wrote:
>>> I see that quite a few American recipes have "green onions" in them.
>>> Does anyone know what the British equivalent is? Are they what we call
>>> spring onions?
>>>

>> When I was a kid what we now call green onions used to be called spring
>> onions.

> It's probably more accurate to call them green onions - it's not as if
> they're not available year round now.

I just checked Wikopedia and says that they are scallions, also called
Spring Onions green Onions or Salad Onions. They have a list of
different countries and what they are called in each. For Canada it says
they are Green Onions or Chives. That is nonsense. The are usually sold
as Green Onions, and as I said, when I was a kid they were commonly
called Spring Onions. I have never seen them referred to as "chives",
only chives are called chives.