Pirohy Queen

Default Good Eats in Tucson

Barb here, your intrepid reporter on location in Tucson, Arizona.
Wednesday night, we ate at Old Chicago. Noisy with NCAA hoops fans --
The U of A hosted the first two (I think) rounds. I had a
bruschetta-type thang on pita -- very tasty. Rob had a sausage
stromboli without cheese, Chris had a bacon cheeseburger. Ugh.
Thursday lunch with Chris was at Guadalajara Mexican restaurant. I had
a Burro Pescado (fish burro -- yum), Chris had a chili verde
chimichanga, and Rob had a bowl of delicious tortilla soup. Great
chow.
Supper last night (Thursday) was at Nonie, a Cajun-type place. We all
had their sampler plate (OK, they're cups) -- jambalaya with andouille,
red beans and rice with andouille, and seafood gumbo. The meals were
accompanied by a cruet of red wine vinegar for the beans and rice.
Very good on all counts, though I'm not much of a fan of jambalaya.
Louisiana Hotdish. The bread pudding with whiskey sauce was highly
recommended by a departing diner and I had a half portion of it. It
was very good. I'm glad I requested only half a serving -- I would
have eaten a whole portion and it was very rich indeed.
Lunch today was with an acquaintance from another group -- we ate at a
place called Tork's - a Mediterranean restaurant. I had a wonderful
side of taboulleh salad, and stewed veggies over couscous, with a salad
on the same plate. Anni, her husband, and small child were
delightful. Very interesting folks. Great food. Rob had cabbage rolls
(the size of dolmades) accompanied by a salad and some hummus and pita.
We came back to our motel and napped. It's a good thing. :-)
Supper tonight was at a place called Yamato -- a Japanese restaurant
and sushi bar. Rob had teriyaki chicken, I had Tempura Don
(tempura-fried shrimps and veggies atop a large bowl of rice), and
Chris had the Kontatsu Don -- a breaded pork cutlet with some veggies,
atop a bowl of rice. No dessert. I'll post pictures when I get home.

Steve, you'd be so proud of us! All the places, with the possible
exception of Nonie, are "neighborhood" places, I think. Maybe. Yamato
is in a strip mall! A very nice place inside, deceptive (because you
can't see in the windows) from the outside. Guadalajara, come to
think of it, was pretty good sized. Tork's was a very small dining
area, restaurant combined with middle-eastern food market. Both Torks
and Yamato are on East Grant Road; neither is far from where Chris
lives. Nonie isn't far from where he lives. There seem to be an
abundance of small restaurants in the area.

Oh, Rob and I had pecan waffles this morning at the Waffle House across
the street from our motel. With a couple young Minnesotans sitting
behind us. We're everywhere.

And that's how it is in Tucson.
-Barb

D.A.Martinich

I haven't spent time in Tucson since the 1980's. but what I remember
with relish were the big Sonoran flour tortillas, the carne seca, and
the fresh tasting San Pedro chile paste. Some of the best meals I had
were in a barrio area (South Tucson?). I hope you got to try some of
these things, Barb.

D.M.

sd

In article om>,
"Pirohy Queen" > wrote:

> Steve, you'd be so proud of us! All the places, with the possible
> exception of Nonie, are "neighborhood" places, I think. Maybe. Yamato
> is in a strip mall! A very nice place inside, deceptive (because you
> can't see in the windows) from the outside. Guadalajara, come to
> think of it, was pretty good sized. Tork's was a very small dining
> area, restaurant combined with middle-eastern food market. Both Torks
> and Yamato are on East Grant Road; neither is far from where Chris
> lives. Nonie isn't far from where he lives. There seem to be an
> abundance of small restaurants in the area.

Good for you! And for Chris; it sounds like he has no shortage of
interesting places to eat nearby. I'm bummed you didn't order any
sushi at Yamato, but I'll tell myself that you didn't want to dampen
your Fuji-Ya experience <g>. I think I would have been a happy
participant at any of the meals, though. Glad you're having a good
time! The snow should be melted by the time you get back!

sd
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, sd
> wrote:

> In article om>,
> "Pirohy Queen" > wrote:
>
> > Steve, you'd be so proud of us! All the places, with the possible
> > exception of Nonie, are "neighborhood" places, I think. Maybe. Yamato
> > is in a strip mall! A very nice place inside, deceptive (because you
> > can't see in the windows) from the outside. Guadalajara, come to
> > think of it, was pretty good sized. Tork's was a very small dining
> > area, restaurant combined with middle-eastern food market. Both Torks
> > and Yamato are on East Grant Road; neither is far from where Chris
> > lives. Nonie isn't far from where he lives. There seem to be an
> > abundance of small restaurants in the area.

> Good for you! And for Chris; it sounds like he has no shortage of
> interesting places to eat nearby. I'm bummed you didn't order any
> sushi at Yamato, but I'll tell myself that you didn't want to dampen
> your Fuji-Ya experience <g>. I think I would have been a happy
> participant at any of the meals, though. Glad you're having a good
> time! The snow should be melted by the time you get back!
>
> sd

Thanks be for The Widow Dorothy. She nudged the next door neighbor to
blow out our driveway for us -- something like 8-10" of snow. I didn't
miss it a bit -- even have a bit of tan.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, sd
> wrote:

> In article om>,
> "Pirohy Queen" > wrote:
>
> > Steve, you'd be so proud of us! All the places, with the possible
> > exception of Nonie, are "neighborhood" places, I think. Maybe. Yamato
> > is in a strip mall! A very nice place inside, deceptive (because you
> > can't see in the windows) from the outside. Guadalajara, come to
> > think of it, was pretty good sized. Tork's was a very small dining
> > area, restaurant combined with middle-eastern food market. Both Torks
> > and Yamato are on East Grant Road; neither is far from where Chris
> > lives. Nonie isn't far from where he lives. There seem to be an
> > abundance of small restaurants in the area.

> Good for you! And for Chris; it sounds like he has no shortage of
> interesting places to eat nearby. I'm bummed you didn't order any
> sushi at Yamato, but I'll tell myself that you didn't want to dampen
> your Fuji-Ya experience <g>. I think I would have been a happy
> participant at any of the meals, though. Glad you're having a good
> time! The snow should be melted by the time you get back!
>
> sd

There are a boatload of eating places between his place and our motel -
or within three miles of his place. Yamato was a shot in the dark.
He'd never been there and acknowledged that it was a place he likely
would never have gone on his own. Offhand, I'd say that's about how we
feel about the places you've introduced us to. :-) The sushi
experience didn't look to be as interesting as Fuji-Ya so we passed.
:-) OK, we never considered it. Chris refuses fish. And I brought
some Nuoc Cham into his house. What was I thinking?
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.

Good Eats Brooklyn1 General Cooking 7 02-11-2015 04:50 PM
REQ for Good Eats help Bob O'Dyne Historic 1 21-12-2014 04:16 AM
lauren fickett 925-933-6979 is guilty of tax fraud, attempted carjacking, kidnapping, murder and is guilty of assault and battery 903Dartmouth Way Concord, CA 5884 w tucson estates pkwy tucson, az 520-883-7486 [email protected] General Cooking 0 05-10-2008 03:19 PM
Good Sushi in Tucson? Where? Ken Blake Sushi 4 23-06-2006 03:45 AM
Good Eats Scott Preserving 2 22-11-2003 02:59 PM