Wayne Boatwright

Default REC: Brown Sugar Brownies

Can't remember if I've ever posted this recipe here before. A favorite
but now defunct bakery in Cleveland used to produce these favorites. I
finally managed to work out the recipe.

This one is sure to push Yef right over the edge!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Brown Sugar Brownies
(Butterscotch Brownies)
Recipe By :
Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts Snacks

-----BROWNIES-----
1/2 c Unsalted butter, melted
2 c Dark-brown sugar, packed
2 ea Large eggs
1/2 ts Salt
1 c All-purpose flour
1/2 c Toasted Wheat Germ
2 ts Baking powder
1 t Vanilla extract
1 c Broken walnut meats
-----PENUCHE FROSTING-----
1/3 c Unsalted butter
3/4 c Dark-brown sugar, packed
3 tb Light cream
2 c Powdered sugar, sifted

~-- Brownies ---
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Butter a 9-inch
square cake pan. Mix all ingredients together, combining them well.
Spread evenly in the pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until dry on top
and almost firm to the touch. Let cool completely in pan. Spread
evenly with Penuche Frosting. Cut into 16 squares.

~-- Penuche Frosting ---
Melt butter. Stir in brown sugar. Heat mixture to boiling, stirring
constantly. Boil and stir over low heat for two minutes. Stir in milk
or cream; heat to boiling. Remove from heat and cool to lukewarm.
Gradually stir in powdered sugar. Beat until of spreading consistency.
If necessary, add additional powdered sugar to thicken, or additional
cream to thin.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Jude

My grandma used to make me devils food cake with penuche frosting. i
loved it so much, she started to make it without a cake, and spread it
in a pan like fudge. Yum!

Jude

My grandma used to make me devils food cake with penuche frosting. i
loved it so much, she started to make it without a cake, and spread it
in a pan like fudge. Yum!

Damsel in dis Dress

You are one evil *******, Wayne!

Carol

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 09 Mar 2005 08:52:54p, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> You are one evil *******, Wayne!
>
> Carol

You need these, admit it!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Damsel in dis Dress

Wayne Boatwright >, if that's their real name,
wrote:

>On Wed 09 Mar 2005 08:52:54p, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> You are one evil *******, Wayne!
>>
>> Carol

>You need these, admit it!

Fortunately, I don't have brown sugar, powdered sugar, or wheat germ. But
someday I will. <sigh>

Carol

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 09 Mar 2005 09:49:34p, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright >, if that's their real name,
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed 09 Mar 2005 08:52:54p, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
>>rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> You are one evil *******, Wayne!
>>>
>>> Carol

>>You need these, admit it!

> Fortunately, I don't have brown sugar, powdered sugar, or wheat germ.
> But someday I will. <sigh>
>
> Carol

Seriously, Carol, these are delicious. Years ago when I worked in downtown
Cleveland, I'd walk to the bakery and buy one or two a couple of times a
week. A lot of people were devastated when this local bakery chain closed
its doors, and I worked on this recipe for several years before I got it
right. Fond memories!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Damsel in dis Dress

wrote:

>On Wed 09 Mar 2005 09:49:34p, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
>rec.food.cooking:
>
>> Wayne Boatwright >, if that's their real name,
>> wrote:
>>
>>>On Wed 09 Mar 2005 08:52:54p, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
>>>rec.food.cooking:

>>>You need these, admit it!

>> Fortunately, I don't have brown sugar, powdered sugar, or wheat germ.
>> But someday I will. <sigh>
>>
>> Carol

>Seriously, Carol, these are delicious. Years ago when I worked in downtown
>Cleveland, I'd walk to the bakery and buy one or two a couple of times a
>week. A lot of people were devastated when this local bakery chain closed
>its doors, and I worked on this recipe for several years before I got it
>right. Fond memories!

You developed this recipe on your own? Holy cow! I can improvise when I
cook, but my baking variations are generally using a different extract,
using cocoa instead of chocolate, butter instead of whatever else. I
admire the heck out of your ability to accomplish this!

My mom called similar ones Blonde Brownies. I like them, but haven't had
them since I was a little girl. The spice cake that my grandmother made
for my dad's birthdays had penuche frosting, and I love that, too.

You don't think the Brownie Gods would object if I used light brown sugar
instead of dark, do you?

Carol

marionc

Hi Wayne,
looks like a great recipe but not quite sure about the measures, does
the c stand for cup, most recipes are grams or ounces these days,

Marion

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 10 Mar 2005 04:14:19a, marionc wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Hi Wayne,
> looks like a great recipe but not quite sure about the measures, does
> the c stand for cup, most recipes are grams or ounces these days,
>
> Marion

Sorry, Marion. Yes, "c" is for cup. I should have spelled it out. Hope you
enjoy these!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 09 Mar 2005 10:12:38p, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright >, if that's their real name,
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed 09 Mar 2005 09:49:34p, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
>>rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> Wayne Boatwright >, if that's their real name,

>>> Fortunately, I don't have brown sugar, powdered sugar, or wheat germ.
>>> But someday I will. <sigh>
>>>
>>> Carol

>>Seriously, Carol, these are delicious. Years ago when I worked in
>>downtown Cleveland, I'd walk to the bakery and buy one or two a couple
>>of times a week. A lot of people were devastated when this local bakery
>>chain closed its doors, and I worked on this recipe for several years
>>before I got it right. Fond memories!

> You developed this recipe on your own? Holy cow! I can improvise when
> I cook, but my baking variations are generally using a different
> extract, using cocoa instead of chocolate, butter instead of whatever
> else. I admire the heck out of your ability to accomplish this!

Actually, yes, but it's a simple recipe. If you've baked a long time, the
proportions pretty much fall into place.

> My mom called similar ones Blonde Brownies. I like them, but haven't
> had them since I was a little girl. The spice cake that my grandmother
> made for my dad's birthdays had penuche frosting, and I love that, too.

I haven't thought of a spice cake in a long time and I really like them.
We used to put raisins in them.

> You don't think the Brownie Gods would object if I used light brown
> sugar instead of dark, do you?

Sure you can, but the texture and flavor may be a little bit different.
Over the years I think that both light and dark brown sugar have become
"lighter", with less molasses added. I almost never used to use dark brown
sugar, but now I use it whenever brown sugar is called for.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Damsel in dis Dress

wrote:

>On Wed 09 Mar 2005 10:12:38p, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
>rec.food.cooking:
>
>> Wayne Boatwright >, if that's their real name,
>> wrote:
>>
>> You developed this recipe on your own? Holy cow! I can improvise when
>> I cook, but my baking variations are generally using a different
>> extract, using cocoa instead of chocolate, butter instead of whatever
>> else. I admire the heck out of your ability to accomplish this!

>Actually, yes, but it's a simple recipe. If you've baked a long time, the
>proportions pretty much fall into place.

I've been baking for nearly half a century. Creativity in that department
doesn't come naturally for me, like cooking does. Funny, because my mom
taught me to bake from the time I was very small, but I didn't learn to
cook until after I was 20.

>> My mom called similar ones Blonde Brownies. I like them, but haven't
>> had them since I was a little girl. The spice cake that my grandmother
>> made for my dad's birthdays had penuche frosting, and I love that, too.

>I haven't thought of a spice cake in a long time and I really like them.
>We used to put raisins in them.

Have you tried dates? I'm posting Gramma's recipe at the end of this post,
so keep reading!

>> You don't think the Brownie Gods would object if I used light brown
>> sugar instead of dark, do you?

>Sure you can, but the texture and flavor may be a little bit different.
>Over the years I think that both light and dark brown sugar have become
>"lighter", with less molasses added. I almost never used to use dark brown
>sugar, but now I use it whenever brown sugar is called for.

Boy, I didn't realize that I feared change as much as I do! I do love
molasses, but have always preferred my brown sugar to be mild (is that even
a valid sentence?). I'll try it with dark and see what the Crashman and I
think of it.

Here's the recipe. I haven't divided this into a specified number of
servings, so the nutritional numbers at the bottom are for the entire cake.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Spice Cake

Recipe By amsel's Heirloom Recipes
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : cakes

1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 large eggs -- beaten
1 cup milk
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup dates -- chopped
1/2 cup nuts -- chopped

1. Cream shortening, butter, and sugar. Gradually add eggs.
2. Sift flour, soda, salt, and spice and alternate with milk.
3. Add dates and nuts.
4. Bake in 9-inch layers at 350F for 30 minutes.
5. Frost with Penuche Frosting.

Source:
"Eva Blanche Zastera"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 3809 Calories (kcal); 158g Total Fat; (36% calories from fat);
61g Protein; 563g Carbohydrate; 531mg Cholesterol; 2596mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 13 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 8 1/2
Fruit; 29 Fat; 14 Other Carbohydrates
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 10 Mar 2005 05:45:09a, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright >, if that's their real name,
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed 09 Mar 2005 10:12:38p, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
>>rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> Wayne Boatwright >, if that's their real name,
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> You developed this recipe on your own? Holy cow! I can improvise
>>> when I cook, but my baking variations are generally using a different
>>> extract, using cocoa instead of chocolate, butter instead of whatever
>>> else. I admire the heck out of your ability to accomplish this!

>>Actually, yes, but it's a simple recipe. If you've baked a long time,
>>the proportions pretty much fall into place.

> I've been baking for nearly half a century. Creativity in that
> department doesn't come naturally for me, like cooking does. Funny,
> because my mom taught me to bake from the time I was very small, but I
> didn't learn to cook until after I was 20.
>
>>> My mom called similar ones Blonde Brownies. I like them, but haven't
>>> had them since I was a little girl. The spice cake that my
>>> grandmother made for my dad's birthdays had penuche frosting, and I
>>> love that, too.

>>I haven't thought of a spice cake in a long time and I really like them.
>> We used to put raisins in them.

> Have you tried dates? I'm posting Gramma's recipe at the end of this
> post, so keep reading!
>
>>> You don't think the Brownie Gods would object if I used light brown
>>> sugar instead of dark, do you?

>>Sure you can, but the texture and flavor may be a little bit different.
>> Over the years I think that both light and dark brown sugar have
>>become "lighter", with less molasses added. I almost never used to use
>>dark brown sugar, but now I use it whenever brown sugar is called for.

> Boy, I didn't realize that I feared change as much as I do! I do love
> molasses, but have always preferred my brown sugar to be mild (is that
> even a valid sentence?). I'll try it with dark and see what the
> Crashman and I think of it.

Almost everybody fears change in one thing or another. <g> Glad you'll
give it a shot. That's part of what makes it so "butterscotchy" <is that a
word>?

> Here's the recipe. I haven't divided this into a specified number of
> servings, so the nutritional numbers at the bottom are for the entire
> cake.

Oh, thankee thankee! This looks wonderful! No, I've never tried dates,
but I do love them, and will try them in the cake. I've used dates in
cookies and date bars (of course). Since this is your mother's recipe,
it's bound to be good. I've tried a couple of hers that you have posted on
your website. She must have been a very good cook!

See my note at the bottom about nutrition.

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Spice Cake
>
> Recipe By amsel's Heirloom Recipes
> Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : cakes

> 1/4 cup shortening
> 1/4 cup butter
> 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
> 2 large eggs -- beaten
> 1 cup milk
> 2 cups flour
> 1 teaspoon baking soda
> 1 teaspoon cinnamon
> 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
> 1/2 teaspoon cloves
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
> 1 cup dates -- chopped
> 1/2 cup nuts -- chopped
>
> 1. Cream shortening, butter, and sugar. Gradually add eggs.
> 2. Sift flour, soda, salt, and spice and alternate with milk.
> 3. Add dates and nuts.
> 4. Bake in 9-inch layers at 350F for 30 minutes.
> 5. Frost with Penuche Frosting.
>
> Source:
> "Eva Blanche Zastera"
>

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> -
>
> Per serving: 3809 Calories (kcal); 158g Total Fat; (36% calories from
> fat); 61g Protein; 563g Carbohydrate; 531mg Cholesterol; 2596mg Sodium
> Food Exchanges: 13 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 8 1/2
> Fruit; 29 Fat; 14 Other Carbohydrates

It's probably good that you didn't portion this. I'm likely to eat all
3809 calories at one sitting! <vbg>

Have a great day! I'm off to work. :-(

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Damsel in dis Dress

wrote:

>On Thu 10 Mar 2005 05:45:09a, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
>rec.food.cooking:
>
>>>I haven't thought of a spice cake in a long time and I really like them.
>>> We used to put raisins in them.

>>>Sure you can, but the texture and flavor may be a little bit different.
>>> Over the years I think that both light and dark brown sugar have
>>>become "lighter", with less molasses added. I almost never used to use
>>>dark brown sugar, but now I use it whenever brown sugar is called for.

>> Boy, I didn't realize that I feared change as much as I do! I do love
>> molasses, but have always preferred my brown sugar to be mild (is that
>> even a valid sentence?). I'll try it with dark and see what the
>> Crashman and I think of it.

>Almost everybody fears change in one thing or another. <g> Glad you'll
>give it a shot. That's part of what makes it so "butterscotchy" <is that a
>word>?

It is now! LOL!

>> Here's the recipe.
>>
>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Spice Cake

>Oh, thankee thankee! This looks wonderful! No, I've never tried dates,
>but I do love them, and will try them in the cake. I've used dates in
>cookies and date bars (of course). Since this is your mother's recipe,
>it's bound to be good.

It's my dad's mother's recipe. She made it for Dad for his birthdays.
When I found out about that old tradition, I started baking them for him,
too.

>I've tried a couple of hers that you have posted on
>your website. She must have been a very good cook!

Yeah, she was. I miss her. Which recipes have you tried?

>>I haven't divided this into a specified number of
>> servings, so the nutritional numbers at the bottom are for the entire
>> cake.

>> Per serving: 3809 Calories (kcal); 158g Total Fat; (36% calories from
>> fat); 61g Protein; 563g Carbohydrate; 531mg Cholesterol; 2596mg Sodium
>> Food Exchanges: 13 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 8 1/2
>> Fruit; 29 Fat; 14 Other Carbohydrates

>It's probably good that you didn't portion this. I'm likely to eat all
>3809 calories at one sitting! <vbg>

I'm that way, too, but I honestly can't do that with this cake. It's dense
and very rich.

>Have a great day! I'm off to work. :-(

Hurry home, dear!
Carol

Karen AKA Kajikit

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 06:45:09 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>Here's the recipe. I haven't divided this into a specified number of
>servings, so the nutritional numbers at the bottom are for the entire cake.
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Spice Cake

Mmmm... this sounds good! I'm saving this one for future reference...
I don't have any dates or nuts in the cupboard but we can always buy
them

~Karen aka Kajikit
Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
http://www.kajikitscorner.com
*remove 'nospam' to reply

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 10 Mar 2005 06:30:32a, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright >, if that's their real name,
> wrote:
>
>>On Thu 10 Mar 2005 05:45:09a, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
>>rec.food.cooking:

>>> Boy, I didn't realize that I feared change as much as I do! I do love
>>> molasses, but have always preferred my brown sugar to be mild (is that
>>> even a valid sentence?). I'll try it with dark and see what the
>>> Crashman and I think of it.

>>Almost everybody fears change in one thing or another. <g> Glad you'll
>>give it a shot. That's part of what makes it so "butterscotchy" <is
>>that a word>?

> It is now! LOL!
>
>>> Here's the recipe.
>>>
>>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>>
>>> Spice Cake

>>Oh, thankee thankee! This looks wonderful! No, I've never tried dates,
>>but I do love them, and will try them in the cake. I've used dates in
>>cookies and date bars (of course). Since this is your mother's recipe,
>>it's bound to be good.

> It's my dad's mother's recipe. She made it for Dad for his birthdays.
> When I found out about that old tradition, I started baking them for
> him, too.
>
>>I've tried a couple of hers that you have posted on your website. She
>>must have been a very good cook!

> Yeah, she was. I miss her. Which recipes have you tried?

IIRC, these three, Sour Cream Apple Pie, Cranberry Bread, and Drunken
Chicken, and I think a recipe for meatballs, but I must not have saved that
one.

>>>I haven't divided this into a specified number of
>>> servings, so the nutritional numbers at the bottom are for the entire
>>> cake.

>>> Per serving: 3809 Calories (kcal); 158g Total Fat; (36% calories from
>>> fat); 61g Protein; 563g Carbohydrate; 531mg Cholesterol; 2596mg Sodium
>>> Food Exchanges: 13 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 8 1/2
>>> Fruit; 29 Fat; 14 Other Carbohydrates

>>It's probably good that you didn't portion this. I'm likely to eat all
>>3809 calories at one sitting! <vbg>

> I'm that way, too, but I honestly can't do that with this cake. It's
> dense and very rich.
>
>>Have a great day! I'm off to work. :-(

> Hurry home, dear!
> Carol

C Ya later!
Damsel in dis Dress

Wayne Boatwright >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>On Thu 10 Mar 2005 06:30:32a, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
>rec.food.cooking:
>
>> Wayne Boatwright >, if that's their real name,
>> wrote:
>>
>>>On Thu 10 Mar 2005 05:45:09a, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
>>>rec.food.cooking:

>>>Oh, thankee thankee! This looks wonderful! No, I've never tried dates,
>>>but I do love them, and will try them in the cake. I've used dates in
>>>cookies and date bars (of course). Since this is your mother's recipe,
>>>it's bound to be good.

>>>I've tried a couple of hers that you have posted on your website. She
>>>must have been a very good cook!

>> Yeah, she was. I miss her. Which recipes have you tried?

>IIRC, these three, Sour Cream Apple Pie, Cranberry Bread, and Drunken
>Chicken, and I think a recipe for meatballs, but I must not have saved that
>one.

Porcupine meatballs, or Norwegian meatballs? I'll be happy to post either
or both of them.

That Sour Cream Apple Pie is legendary, isn't it? The Sour Cream Rhubarb
(with or without strawberries) is excellent, too.

Carol

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 10 Mar 2005 10:43:03a, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright >, if that's their real name, wrote:
>
>>On Thu 10 Mar 2005 06:30:32a, Damsel in dis Dress wrote in
>>rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> Wayne Boatwright >, if that's their real name,

>>> Yeah, she was. I miss her. Which recipes have you tried?

>>IIRC, these three, Sour Cream Apple Pie, Cranberry Bread, and Drunken
>>Chicken, and I think a recipe for meatballs, but I must not have saved
>>that one.

> Porcupine meatballs, or Norwegian meatballs? I'll be happy to post
> either or both of them.

Oh, that would be the Norwegian Meatballs. And yes, I wold love to have it
again. thanks!

> That Sour Cream Apple Pie is legendary, isn't it? The Sour Cream
> Rhubarb (with or without strawberries) is excellent, too.

Same recipe for the Rhubarb as for the Apple? I'll have to give that a try
now that fresh young rhubarb will soon be in the stores.

Thanks, Carol!

Wayne