Wayne Boatwright

Default REC: Brown Sugar Brownies

A favorite of mine, my own version of a brownie sold by the long defunct
Hough Bakeries in Cleveland, OH.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Brown Sugar Brownies

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts Snacks

-----BROWNIES-----
1/2 c Unsalted butter, melted
2 c Dark-brown sugar, packed
2 ea Large eggs
1/2 ts Salt
1 c All-purpose flour
1/2 c Wheat germ
2 ts Baking powder
1 t Vanilla extract
1 c Broken walnut meats
-----PENUCHE FROSTING-----
1/3 c Unsalted butter
3/4 c Dark-brown sugar, packed
3 tb Light cream
2 c Powdered sugar, sifted

~-- Brownies ---
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Butter a 9-inch
square cake pan. Mix all ingredients together, combining them well.
Spread evenly in the pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until dry on
top and almost firm to the touch. Let cool completely in pan. Spread
evenly with Penuche Frosting. Cut into 16 squares.

~-- Penuche Frosting ---
Melt butter. Stir in brown sugar. Heat mixture to boiling, stirring
constantly. Boil and stir over low heat for two minutes. Stir in
milk or cream; heat to boiling. Remove from heat and cool to
lukewarm. Gradually stir in powdered sugar. Beat until of spreading
consistency. If necessary, add additional powdered sugar to thicken,
or additional cream to thin.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Charles Gifford

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> A favorite of mine, my own version of a brownie sold by the long defunct
> Hough Bakeries in Cleveland, OH.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Brown Sugar Brownies

Wheat germ! You trying to be healthy or summat? I'll save this one. Thanks
Wayne. I haven't made penuche in years!

Charlie

Wayne Boatwright

"Charles Gifford" > wrote in
ink.net:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> A favorite of mine, my own version of a brownie sold by the long
>> defunct Hough Bakeries in Cleveland, OH.
>>

>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Brown Sugar Brownies

> Wheat germ! You trying to be healthy or summat? I'll save this one.
> Thanks Wayne. I haven't made penuche in years!
>
> Charlie

The wheat germ is just for texture, Charlie. I had a heck of a time
trying to duplicate their recipe; the texture was always off. I tried
different flours but that wasn't it. I finally hit on wheat germ and had
success.

Enjoy!

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Zspider

Thanks for the brown sugar brownie recipe, Wayne. They sound
delicious. The only thing that spooked me a little was the
directions for the icing. I just made some brownie fudge icing
and it had a "boil for 3 minutes while stirring" and I did
exactly that, even used a timer, and the darned stuff never
set up.

Interesting that you used the wheat germ for texture. My
brownies tasted pretty good but I've got to admit that the
texture was a boring dense cake-type consistency.

Michael

Wayne Boatwright

(Zspider) wrote in
om:

> Thanks for the brown sugar brownie recipe, Wayne. They sound
> delicious. The only thing that spooked me a little was the
> directions for the icing. I just made some brownie fudge icing
> and it had a "boil for 3 minutes while stirring" and I did
> exactly that, even used a timer, and the darned stuff never
> set up.

I understand. That seems to be a common complaint about this type/method
of icing. The trick, following the hard boil for several minutes, is to
let the mixture cook to very nearly room temperature before beating in
the confectioner's sugar. If the butter/brown sugar mixture is even a
little warm, the confectioner's sugar will melt rather than bind and
stiffen the frosting.

> Interesting that you used the wheat germ for texture. My
> brownies tasted pretty good but I've got to admit that the
> texture was a boring dense cake-type consistency.
>
> Michael

I've never tried the wheat germ in a chocolate brownie, but I see no
reason not to. The brownie I was trying to duplicate had a distinct
texture that obviously turned out to be wheat germ. My first few
attempts without it were not even close to the original. I even tried
whole wheat flour but all that did was make the brownie very heavy and
dense. The wheat germ simply adds texture to an already tender brownie.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne Boatwright

(Zspider) wrote in
om:

> Thanks for the brown sugar brownie recipe, Wayne. They sound
> delicious. The only thing that spooked me a little was the
> directions for the icing. I just made some brownie fudge icing
> and it had a "boil for 3 minutes while stirring" and I did
> exactly that, even used a timer, and the darned stuff never
> set up.

I understand. That seems to be a common complaint about this type/method
of icing. The trick, following the hard boil for several minutes, is to
let the mixture cook to very nearly room temperature before beating in
the confectioner's sugar. If the butter/brown sugar mixture is even a
little warm, the confectioner's sugar will melt rather than bind and
stiffen the frosting.

> Interesting that you used the wheat germ for texture. My
> brownies tasted pretty good but I've got to admit that the
> texture was a boring dense cake-type consistency.
>
> Michael

I've never tried the wheat germ in a chocolate brownie, but I see no
reason not to. The brownie I was trying to duplicate had a distinct
texture that obviously turned out to be wheat germ. My first few
attempts without it were not even close to the original. I even tried
whole wheat flour but all that did was make the brownie very heavy and
dense. The wheat germ simply adds texture to an already tender brownie.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
TammyM

:
: * Exported from MasterCook *

: Brown Sugar Brownies

: Recipe By :
: Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
: Categories : Desserts Snacks

: Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
: -------- ------------ --------------------------------
[...]

I just came upon this recipe. Oh. My. Goodness. This sounds beyond
fabulous! Thanks once again, Wayne.

Tammy
Sac, Cal

Wayne Boatwright

TammyM > wrote in news:cn0n10$720$1
@skeeter.ucdavis.edu:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>: A favorite of mine, my own version of a brownie sold by the long defunct
>: Hough Bakeries in Cleveland, OH.
>
>: * Exported from MasterCook *
>
>: Brown Sugar Brownies
>
>: Recipe By :
>: Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
>: Categories : Desserts Snacks
>
>: Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>: -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>: -----BROWNIES-----
>: 1/2 c Unsalted butter, melted
>: 2 c Dark-brown sugar, packed
>: 2 ea Large eggs
>: 1/2 ts Salt
>: 1 c All-purpose flour
>: 1/2 c Wheat germ
>: 2 ts Baking powder
>: 1 t Vanilla extract
>: 1 c Broken walnut meats
>: -----PENUCHE FROSTING-----
>: 1/3 c Unsalted butter
>: 3/4 c Dark-brown sugar, packed
>: 3 tb Light cream 2 c Powdered
>: sugar, sifted
>
>: ~-- Brownies ---
>: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Butter a 9-inch
>: square cake pan. Mix all ingredients together, combining them well.
>: Spread evenly in the pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until dry on
>: top and almost firm to the touch. Let cool completely in pan. Spread
>: evenly with Penuche Frosting. Cut into 16 squares.
>:
>: ~-- Penuche Frosting ---
>: Melt butter. Stir in brown sugar. Heat mixture to boiling, stirring
>: constantly. Boil and stir over low heat for two minutes. Stir in
>: milk or cream; heat to boiling. Remove from heat and cool to
>: lukewarm. Gradually stir in powdered sugar. Beat until of spreading
>: consistency. If necessary, add additional powdered sugar to thicken,
>: or additional cream to thin.
>
> I just came upon this recipe. Oh. My. Goodness. This sounds beyond
> fabulous! Thanks once again, Wayne.
>
> Tammy
> Sac, Cal

You're very welcome, Tammy. Enjoy!