Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Brown Sugar Helper

Hi,

I saw a little while back a "brick" on TV that you put in your brown
sugar container to keep it from drying up and solidifying. However, I
can't seem to find anything like that online or in stores? Anybody know
what I'm talking about? And where I could possibly find it?

Thanks,

Maan

Posted to rec.food.equipment
wff_ng_7

> wrote:
> I saw a little while back a "brick" on TV that you put in your brown
> sugar container to keep it from drying up and solidifying. However, I
> can't seem to find anything like that online or in stores? Anybody know
> what I'm talking about? And where I could possibly find it?

Here's one I found by doing a search for "brown sugar" preserver in google:

http://wdrake.com/product_detail.aspx?item_no=1006231

There's probably a hundred places that sell these things, perhaps cheaper
than here. This one is $3.99.

I got one somewhere several years ago, and it does a pretty good job of it.
Perhaps just a shard from an old clay flower pot would also do the trick.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Vox Humana

"wff_ng_7" > wrote in message
> > wrote:
> > I saw a little while back a "brick" on TV that you put in your brown
> > sugar container to keep it from drying up and solidifying. However, I
> > can't seem to find anything like that online or in stores? Anybody know
> > what I'm talking about? And where I could possibly find it?

> Here's one I found by doing a search for "brown sugar" preserver in

google:

> http://wdrake.com/product_detail.aspx?item_no=1006231
>
> There's probably a hundred places that sell these things, perhaps cheaper
> than here. This one is $3.99.
>
> I got one somewhere several years ago, and it does a pretty good job of

it.
> Perhaps just a shard from an old clay flower pot would also do the trick.

I just keep mine is a zip-lock bag. I have never had a problem with it
going lumpy.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Matthew L. Martin

Vox Humana wrote:

> I just keep mine is a zip-lock bag. I have never had a problem with it
> going lumpy.

The brand I buy comes in a reusable zip lock type bag. I have as little
problem as you do .

Matthew

--
There had better be horses and ponies in heaven, or the god I
don't believe is going to get her butt kicked big time.

-- TeaLady (mari) on ARK
Posted to rec.food.equipment
Vox Humana

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
> Vox Humana wrote:
>

> > I just keep mine is a zip-lock bag. I have never had a problem with it
> > going lumpy.
> >

> The brand I buy comes in a reusable zip lock type bag. I have as little
> problem as you do .

I must have a knack of damaging the built-in zipper on the original
packaging because they never seem to work for me. I end up just putting the
bag into another bag. I can remember when brown sugar and confectioner's
sugar came in one pound cardboard boxes lined with waxed paper bags. I did
have problems with lumps then, but it has been years since brown sugar was
packaged like that.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
wff_ng_7

"Vox Humana" > wrote:
> I can remember when brown sugar and confectioner's
> sugar came in one pound cardboard boxes lined with waxed paper bags. I
> did
> have problems with lumps then, but it has been years since brown sugar was
> packaged like that.

Gee, it still comes that way here! Perhaps it was a plastic rather than
waxed paper bag inside the cardboard box, but it certainly wasn't
resealable.

I store my brown sugar in a plastic canister that one local supermarket
chain sells their store brand shortening in. Just the same size as the
Crisco cardboard canisters, and very useful for storing other things when
the shortening is gone.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Vox Humana

"wff_ng_7" > wrote in message
> "Vox Humana" > wrote:
> > I can remember when brown sugar and confectioner's
> > sugar came in one pound cardboard boxes lined with waxed paper bags. I
> > did
> > have problems with lumps then, but it has been years since brown sugar

was
> > packaged like that.

> Gee, it still comes that way here! Perhaps it was a plastic rather than
> waxed paper bag inside the cardboard box, but it certainly wasn't
> resealable.
>
> I store my brown sugar in a plastic canister that one local supermarket
> chain sells their store brand shortening in. Just the same size as the
> Crisco cardboard canisters, and very useful for storing other things when
> the shortening is gone.

That's a great tip.