Sheldon

Default Gonna try this... looks easy and good

Spinach, Feta, and Tarragon Frittata

The combination of flavors here is pure genius. Tarragon is classic
with both spinach and eggs, and a touch of sharp feta cheese accents
the trio beautifully. Use these same ingredients to make superb
omelets.

2 tablespoons butter
2 scallions including green tops, cut into thin slices
10 ounce spinach, stems removed, leaves washed and cut into thin strips
1 1/2 teaspoons dried tarragon, or 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh
tarragon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
8 large eggs
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 ounces feta, crumbled (about 1/3 cup)

1. In a 12-inch ovenproof nonstick frying pan, melt 1 tablespoon of the
butter over moderate heat. Add the scallions and cook, stirring, for 1
minute. Add the spinach, dried tarragon, if using, and 1/8 teaspoon
each of the salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until the
liquid evaporates, about 3 minutes. Remove the spinach mixture and let
cool. Wipe out the pan.
2. In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon each
salt and pepper. Stir in the spinach mixture and fresh tarragon, if
using.

3. Heat the broiler. In the same frying pan, melt the remaining 1
tablespoon butter with the oil over moderate heat. Pour in the egg
mixture and reduce the heat to low. Sprinkle the feta over the top and
cook until the bottom is golden brown and the top is almost set, 6 to 7
minutes. Broil the frittata 6 inches from the heat, if possible, until
the eggs are set, 2 to 3 minutes.

4. Lift up the edge of the frittata with a spatula and slide the
frittata onto a plate. Cut into wedges and serve.

Test-Kitchen Tip: If the handle of your frying pan isn't ovenproof,
protect it from the heat of the broiler by wrapping it with about four
layers of aluminum foil.

Wine Recommendation: Sparkling wines are perfect for egg dishes,
especially eggs with cheese. A bottle of cava, Spain's classic and
affordable bubbly, will turn a quick dish into a special occasion.

Yield: 4

Food & Wine, 1998
---

jmcquown

Sheldon wrote:
> Spinach, Feta, and Tarragon Frittata

(snipped and saved)
> Food & Wine, 1998
> ---

Sounds delicious! I love all those ingredients. Thanks, Sheldon!

Jill

jmcquown > wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>> Spinach, Feta, and Tarragon Frittata
>>

> (snipped and saved)
>> Food & Wine, 1998
>> ---

> Sounds delicious! I love all those ingredients. Thanks, Sheldon!

If you add some diced roma tomatoes along with the feta cheese,
you'd have one of my favorites. Their color complements the green,
white and yellow nicely.

Serendipity

Sheldon wrote:

> Spinach, Feta, and Tarragon Frittata
>
> The combination of flavors here is pure genius. Tarragon is classic
> with both spinach and eggs, and a touch of sharp feta cheese accents
> the trio beautifully. Use these same ingredients to make superb
> omelets.
>

> 2 tablespoons butter
> 2 scallions including green tops, cut into thin slices
> 10 ounce spinach, stems removed, leaves washed and cut into thin strips
> 1 1/2 teaspoons dried tarragon, or 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh
> tarragon
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
> 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
> 8 large eggs
> 1 tablespoon olive oil
> 3 ounces feta, crumbled (about 1/3 cup)
>
> 1. In a 12-inch ovenproof nonstick frying pan, melt 1 tablespoon of the
> butter over moderate heat. Add the scallions and cook, stirring, for 1
> minute. Add the spinach, dried tarragon, if using, and 1/8 teaspoon
> each of the salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until the
> liquid evaporates, about 3 minutes. Remove the spinach mixture and let
> cool. Wipe out the pan.
> 2. In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon each
> salt and pepper. Stir in the spinach mixture and fresh tarragon, if
> using.
>
> 3. Heat the broiler. In the same frying pan, melt the remaining 1
> tablespoon butter with the oil over moderate heat. Pour in the egg
> mixture and reduce the heat to low. Sprinkle the feta over the top and
> cook until the bottom is golden brown and the top is almost set, 6 to 7
> minutes. Broil the frittata 6 inches from the heat, if possible, until
> the eggs are set, 2 to 3 minutes.
>
> 4. Lift up the edge of the frittata with a spatula and slide the
> frittata onto a plate. Cut into wedges and serve.
>
> Test-Kitchen Tip: If the handle of your frying pan isn't ovenproof,
> protect it from the heat of the broiler by wrapping it with about four
> layers of aluminum foil.
>
> Wine Recommendation: Sparkling wines are perfect for egg dishes,
> especially eggs with cheese. A bottle of cava, Spain's classic and
> affordable bubbly, will turn a quick dish into a special occasion.
>
> Yield: 4
>

> Food & Wine, 1998
> ---

Oh boy! Thanks for the recipe. I've just discovered frittatas and your
recipe looks very goot.
Chris Neidecker

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Spinach, Feta, and Tarragon Frittata

Hmmm! That sounds like a winner for tomorrow night -- I will have to make
my husband a quick dinner before I go out to dinner with my friends. I used
to make fritatta a lot, but have fallen out of the habit. Second thought,
maybe I'll make it this weekend, so I can have some too!

My other favorite frittata is zucchini with Parmesan and lots of fresh
basil...from Marcella Hazan's Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking.
Hmmm.....maybe I should make the two of them and bring them to the potluck
dinner we're going to Friday night!

Chris