Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Homemade Ricotta, easy and good

An article by the estimable Russ Parsons of the L.A. Times. Make
delicious ricotta in 45 minutes. Article links to a couple recipes
and contains many other suggestions for using it. Eventually he
admits the method is a shortcut and not totally authentic but asserts
it is totally delicious. It sounds to me like something to try
soon. -aem
http://www.latimes.com/features/food...,7506847.story

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 11:08:53 -0700 (PDT), aem >
wrote:

> An article by the estimable Russ Parsons of the L.A. Times. Make
> delicious ricotta in 45 minutes. Article links to a couple recipes
> and contains many other suggestions for using it. Eventually he
> admits the method is a shortcut and not totally authentic but asserts
> it is totally delicious. It sounds to me like something to try
> soon. -aem
> http://www.latimes.com/features/food...,7506847.story

Building on your article, here's another one from my files.
http://www.gatehousegourmet.com/2010...icotta-cheese/

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in
:

> On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 11:08:53 -0700 (PDT), aem >
> wrote:
>
>> An article by the estimable Russ Parsons of the L.A. Times. Make
>> delicious ricotta in 45 minutes. Article links to a couple recipes
>> and contains many other suggestions for using it. Eventually he
>> admits the method is a shortcut and not totally authentic but asserts
>> it is totally delicious. It sounds to me like something to try
>> soon. -aem
>> http://www.latimes.com/features/food...-20100930,0,75
>> 06847.story

> Building on your article, here's another one from my files.
> http://www.gatehousegourmet.com/2010...icotta-cheese/

Ricotta has always been an easy thing to make. When we were doing our Blue
Cheese making course on Bruny Island, at the end of the day, the cheesemaker
got some of the leftover whey, threw it in a saucepan and heated it up, took
it off the heat placed it just on the floor of the cheese room, added some
vinegar, and 'Hey Presto'..... ricotta floating on top.

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 21:15:40 GMT, Aussie
> wrote:

> Ricotta has always been an easy thing to make. When we were doing our Blue
> Cheese making course on Bruny Island, at the end of the day, the cheesemaker
> got some of the leftover whey, threw it in a saucepan and heated it up, took
> it off the heat placed it just on the floor of the cheese room, added some
> vinegar, and 'Hey Presto'..... ricotta floating on top.

The people I know haven't taken a course on how to make cheese.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks for this. That's one of those items I always tend to balk at
buying, altho I believe there is no substitute. It seems expensive,
but I realize ya just can't sub cottage cheese for that same flavor.

I'll try it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> The people I know haven't taken a course on how to make cheese.

We used to call that Curd Cheese and this what I grew up with

I used lemon or rennet instead of vinegar but it works the same.
This what we used to make with it:

Yorkshire Curd Cheesecake

Ingredients:
8 oz curds
2 eggs
4 oz sugar
2 oz currants
a small knob of butter (melted)
a little grated lemon rind
a pinch of nutmeg
shortcrust pastry

Method:
Mix the curds with the dried fruit and flavouring.
Stir well-beaten eggs in with the sugar and butter.
Line a 7 or 8 inch dish or plate with pastry.
Put in the curd mixture.

Baking time:
20 minutes in a moderate oven or until set.

Best eaten just a wee bit warm

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in
:

> On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 21:15:40 GMT, Aussie
> > wrote:
>
>> Ricotta has always been an easy thing to make. When we were doing our
>> Blue Cheese making course on Bruny Island, at the end of the day, the
>> cheesemaker got some of the leftover whey, threw it in a saucepan and
>> heated it up, took it off the heat placed it just on the floor of the
>> cheese room, added some vinegar, and 'Hey Presto'..... ricotta floating
>> on top.

> The people I know haven't taken a course on how to make cheese.

Just letting you know the setting.

And the fact that it was so quick and easy, as shown by the cheesemaker.

Using just leftover whey.

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart
Tasmania

The act of feeding someone is an act of beauty,
whether it's a full Sunday roast or a jam sandwich,
but only when done with love.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kalmia > wrote:

>Thanks for this. That's one of those items I always tend to balk at
>buying, altho I believe there is no substitute. It seems expensive,
>but I realize ya just can't sub cottage cheese for that same flavor.
>
>I'll try it.

You'll really be amazed at how easy and how good it is. I found a recipe
(don't know if it was David Lebovitz's) that called for plain yogurt and
lemon juice or vinegar as the "agents", which I always have around the
house. So if I happen to find myself with a lot of extra milk to hand ...

Charlotte
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Oct 2010 08:20:35 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> We used to call that Curd Cheese and this what I grew up with

Curd cheese = our cottage cheese?

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 15:05:18 GMT, Aussie
> wrote:

> sf > wrote in
> :
>
> > On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 21:15:40 GMT, Aussie
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Ricotta has always been an easy thing to make. When we were doing our
> >> Blue Cheese making course on Bruny Island, at the end of the day, the
> >> cheesemaker got some of the leftover whey, threw it in a saucepan and
> >> heated it up, took it off the heat placed it just on the floor of the
> >> cheese room, added some vinegar, and 'Hey Presto'..... ricotta floating
> >> on top.

> > The people I know haven't taken a course on how to make cheese.
> >

> Just letting you know the setting.
>
> And the fact that it was so quick and easy, as shown by the cheesemaker.
>
> Using just leftover whey.

That was a point made in the article. Real ricotta is made from whey
leftover from cheese making process and the cheese in the article is
not.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 1 Oct 2010 08:20:35 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
>> We used to call that Curd Cheese and this what I grew up with

> Curd cheese = our cottage cheese?

We never had cottage cheese in those days, but we do now. BUT we can also
buy curd cheese still.. ready made
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Oct 2010 17:25:26 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 1 Oct 2010 08:20:35 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> We used to call that Curd Cheese and this what I grew up with

> > Curd cheese = our cottage cheese?

> We never had cottage cheese in those days, but we do now. BUT we can also
> buy curd cheese still.. ready made
> --

Google says curd cheese is quark. To me quark has a texture similar
to yogurt cheese or cream cheese. Are you familiar with "farmer's
cheese"? To me, it's a very dry cottage cheese but maybe it's more
like the curd cheese you're describing.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 1 Oct 2010 17:25:26 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message

>> > Curd cheese = our cottage cheese?

>> We never had cottage cheese in those days, but we do now. BUT we can
>> also
>> buy curd cheese still.. ready made
>> --

> Google says curd cheese is quark. To me quark has a texture similar
> to yogurt cheese or cream cheese. Are you familiar with "farmer's
> cheese"? To me, it's a very dry cottage cheese but maybe it's more
> like the curd cheese you're describing.

No.. curd cheese is very moist. sigh... the divide.....
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks. I will try it.

--
Michelle
Message origin: TRAVEL.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> We never had cottage cheese in those days, but we do now. BUT we can also
>> buy curd cheese still.. ready made

> Google says curd cheese is quark. To me quark has a texture similar
> to yogurt cheese or cream cheese. Are you familiar with "farmer's
> cheese"? To me, it's a very dry cottage cheese but maybe it's more
> like the curd cheese you're describing.

Cheese curds are the unaged stage of making aged cheeses. The curds
that would have been cheddar have a strange texture. They squeek
between the teeth when chewed.

Fresh cheeses are all curd cheeses that are less dried.

Knowing all of the differences takes knowing how it's made. It smells
good touring a cheese factory.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message
> Cheese curds are the unaged stage of making aged cheeses. The curds
> that would have been cheddar have a strange texture. They squeek
> between the teeth when chewed.

Yes Although as I said, we always made ours into Yorkshire Curd
Cheesecake. Oddly enough, our pork butchers shops sold it. In later years
I just made my own.

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/30/2010 05:12 PM, Kalmia wrote:

> Thanks for this. That's one of those items I always tend to balk at
> buying, altho I believe there is no substitute. It seems expensive,
> but I realize ya just can't sub cottage cheese for that same flavor.
>
> I'll try it.

I just made some. It was certainly easy. I'll know tomorrow if I think
it's worth the expense and effort. :-)

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
New post: Impromptu Fish Stew
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:

>> Thanks for this. That's one of those items I always tend to balk at
>> buying, altho I believe there is no substitute. It seems expensive,
>> but I realize ya just can't sub cottage cheese for that same flavor.
>>
>> I'll try it.

> I just made some. It was certainly easy. I'll know tomorrow if I think
> it's worth the expense and effort. :-)

I made it as an ingredient for a chestnut cheesecake this last Easter. I
thought the cheese was better than the cheesecake; I hope you like it.

Bob