Rod Keys

Default replacing Magnalite Pro and Calphalon

Hi,
I have used Magnalite Professional (anodized) and Calphlon Professional
(also anodized) cookware for MANY years. The stuff has been great. But
it's finally time to look for a few replacements. To my horror I find that
Manalite Pro is long gone and Calphlon has become consumer level junk.

Most Calphlon is now nonstick .. what a silly notion! The whole reason to
anodize aluminum is the bullet-proof cooking surface, putting a non-stick
coating on it defeats the whole idea! And the little anodized Calphalon
(Calphlon One) that remains at the store has a rough anodizing that is not
in the same league as the old stuff at all .. plus the aluminum is much
thinner and the pans lighter than the old stuff What a disappointment!

I tried writing Calphalon to see if I could buy the old stuff someplace and
they didn't reply.

I tried eBay .. no luck, just the newer style Calphlon or really old and
tired out Magnalite Pro.

Does anybody make professional quality hard anodized cookware? What can I
replace my old stuff with?

Regards,

Rod

Michael

"Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> So I have a different reason why I switched from
> Magnalite: Stainless clad is dishwasher safe. I live
> in the wrong century to have pans that can not be put
> in the dishwasher.

Can I get an Amen?

aem

Rod Keys wrote:
> Hi,
> I have used Magnalite Professional (anodized) and Calphlon
> Professional(also anodized) cookware for MANY years. The
> stuff has been great. But it's finally time to look for a few
> replacements. To my horror I find that Magnalite Pro is long
> gone and Calphlon has become consumer level junk.
>
> Does anybody make professional quality hard anodized cookware? What
> can I replace my old stuff with?

Have you checked out the "American Culinary" company? They claim to be
the successor to the Wagner company that sold the Magnalite products.
http://www.wagnerware.com/about.asp I can't vouch for them from
personal experience, but maybe they have maintained standards.

If you don't have to have anodized aluminum, the AllClad line with
aluminum exterior and stainless steel interior is first class stuff.
Expensive, but extremely high quality.

-aem

salgud

I've looked at a lot of comparison tests of cookware. None of them
recommended aluminum anymore. Health problems and all that. All of them
like AllClad the best, though it is admittedly pricey, but should last
forever.

Doug Freyburger

salgud wrote:

> I've looked at a lot of comparison tests of cookware. None of them
> recommended aluminum anymore. Health problems and all that.

Aluminum is in deordorant and even dust. It can't
be avoided.

> All of them
> like AllClad the best, though it is admittedly pricey, but should

last
> forever.

So I have a different reason why I switched from
Magnalite: Stainless clad is dishwasher safe. I live
in the wrong century to have pans that can not be put
in the dishwasher.

pctech

I'm trying to get laptop in time for church camp summer job. Please
help if you can by using my referal link:
http://www.pctech4free.com/default.aspx?ref=59054

Thanks in advance.

Rod Keys

Thanks for the replies so far. A few comments

1) re "health problems"; Anodized aluminum does not put aluminum in
contact with the food and the Alheimers cannention turned out to be bogus
anyway. (Healthy bodies are very good at throwing off more aluminum than
they need .. the elevated levels of aluminum in the brain tissue of
Alheimers patients were a result of Alheimers, not a cause, and it happenes
wherther there is excess aluminum in the diet or not.)

2) I agree that hand washing is a pain. But I find an anodized suface more
durrable and harder (scratch-proof) than stainless. Nor are clad stainless
pans 100% dishwasher proof. Over time the bleach in dishwasher detergent
will attack the exposed aluminum.

3) Magnalite has indeed re-appeared. But I have not yet seen Magnalite
Professional (the anodized stuff).

4) I find the older Calphlon and Magnailie (before they reduced the
thickness) distributes heat much more evenly than even All Clad (I have one
All clad pan .. I like it but it's not in the same league as the old
anodized stuff).

It may be time to just keep an eye on eBay ...

Again, thanks for input so far.

Rod

Randy

I had the Magnalite anodized cookware for about ten years and really
liked it a lot. When it was time for new I also found that the company
was gone so I went with All Clad stainless. It performs much like
aluminum as far as temp settings. I've had it for a little over two
years now and am happy with it. -RP

JimLane

Rod Keys wrote:
> Hi,
> I have used Magnalite Professional (anodized) and Calphlon Professional
> (also anodized) cookware for MANY years. The stuff has been great. But
> it's finally time to look for a few replacements. To my horror I find that
> Manalite Pro is long gone and Calphlon has become consumer level junk.
>
> Most Calphlon is now nonstick .. what a silly notion! The whole reason to
> anodize aluminum is the bullet-proof cooking surface, putting a non-stick
> coating on it defeats the whole idea! And the little anodized Calphalon
> (Calphlon One) that remains at the store has a rough anodizing that is not
> in the same league as the old stuff at all .. plus the aluminum is much
> thinner and the pans lighter than the old stuff What a disappointment!
>
> I tried writing Calphalon to see if I could buy the old stuff someplace and
> they didn't reply.
>
> I tried eBay .. no luck, just the newer style Calphlon or really old and
> tired out Magnalite Pro.
>
> Does anybody make professional quality hard anodized cookware? What can I
> replace my old stuff with?
>
> Regards,
>
> Rod

So, you are not interested in buying used Wagner Magnalite? Mine are
used- but far from being tired.

jim
salgud

"Aluminum is in deordorant and even dust. It can't
be avoided."

So this means I should go out and find ways to ingest more? LOL!