elizabeth emerald

Default replacing lemon juice

my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.

any ideas?
--
elizabeth (in australia)

"Anything lost can be found again, except for time wasted" -- Hilltop Hoods

Mary

It's the acid that is needed in many recipes calling for lemon juice.
You can often substitute vinegar for citrus, but will have to try the
recipe to be sure it works!

"elizabeth emerald" > wrote in message >...
> my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
> something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
> important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
>
> any ideas?

Mary

It's the acid that is needed in many recipes calling for lemon juice.
You can often substitute vinegar for citrus, but will have to try the
recipe to be sure it works!

"elizabeth emerald" > wrote in message >...
> my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
> something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
> important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
>
> any ideas?

Vox Humana

"elizabeth emerald" > wrote in message
> my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
> something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
> important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
>
> any ideas?

As has been mentioned, vinegar will replace the acid. If you need the lemon
flavor, try using some lemon balm (Melissa officinalis). It is very easy to
grow and the lemon flavor is intense. It can be dried and used in the off
season. http://www.floridata.com/ref/M/meli_off.cfm

You might also try using some citric acid powder to for the acid component
if the flavor of vinegar won't work for your purpose. Citric acid is used
in a lot of food and beverages.

Vox Humana

"elizabeth emerald" > wrote in message
> my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
> something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
> important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
>
> any ideas?

As has been mentioned, vinegar will replace the acid. If you need the lemon
flavor, try using some lemon balm (Melissa officinalis). It is very easy to
grow and the lemon flavor is intense. It can be dried and used in the off
season. http://www.floridata.com/ref/M/meli_off.cfm

You might also try using some citric acid powder to for the acid component
if the flavor of vinegar won't work for your purpose. Citric acid is used
in a lot of food and beverages.

Roy Basan

"elizabeth emerald" > wrote in message >...
> my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
> something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
> important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
>
> any ideas?

I do not know what part of the citrus is your child allergic to….
It is the citric acid, the essential oils in the peel , the naringin,
etc.
That will be a complicated task to determine and you are unlikely to
use your child as a guinea pig for these experiments.
Trying to replace the lemon juice with other acids such as vinegar
(acetic acid) and tartaric acid, lactic acid will result in different
sensory profile.
The nearest substitute for citric with the typical fruity tang is
malic acid. it is Found in apples
How about apple juice and apple concentrate? Is he not allergic to
it.?
Unfortunately there is no such thing as apple rind that provides the
essential oils like citrus. You may have to compensate that by adding
other flavoring agents that is compatible with the cookery items you
are planning to prepare.
Roy
Roy Basan

"elizabeth emerald" > wrote in message >...
> my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
> something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
> important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
>
> any ideas?

I do not know what part of the citrus is your child allergic to….
It is the citric acid, the essential oils in the peel , the naringin,
etc.
That will be a complicated task to determine and you are unlikely to
use your child as a guinea pig for these experiments.
Trying to replace the lemon juice with other acids such as vinegar
(acetic acid) and tartaric acid, lactic acid will result in different
sensory profile.
The nearest substitute for citric with the typical fruity tang is
malic acid. it is Found in apples
How about apple juice and apple concentrate? Is he not allergic to
it.?
Unfortunately there is no such thing as apple rind that provides the
essential oils like citrus. You may have to compensate that by adding
other flavoring agents that is compatible with the cookery items you
are planning to prepare.
Roy
elizabeth emerald

"Mary" > wrote in message
om...
> It's the acid that is needed in many recipes calling for lemon juice.
> You can often substitute vinegar for citrus, but will have to try the
> recipe to be sure it works!

that was my first thought. i'll give it a try!
--
elizabeth (in australia)

"Old school don't mean I'm better, I'm just getting older" -- Bias B

elizabeth emerald

"Mary" > wrote in message
om...
> It's the acid that is needed in many recipes calling for lemon juice.
> You can often substitute vinegar for citrus, but will have to try the
> recipe to be sure it works!

that was my first thought. i'll give it a try!
--
elizabeth (in australia)

"Old school don't mean I'm better, I'm just getting older" -- Bias B

elizabeth emerald

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "elizabeth emerald" > wrote in message
> > my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
> > something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
> > important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
> >
> > any ideas?

> As has been mentioned, vinegar will replace the acid. If you need the

lemon
> flavor, try using some lemon balm (Melissa officinalis). It is very easy

> grow and the lemon flavor is intense. It can be dried and used in the off
> season. http://www.floridata.com/ref/M/meli_off.cfm

thank you, that is a wonderful suggestion!

> You might also try using some citric acid powder to for the acid component
> if the flavor of vinegar won't work for your purpose. Citric acid is used
> in a lot of food and beverages.

unfortunately he has severe food allergies and cannot have any citric acid
or fruit derivative.
--
elizabeth (in australia)

"Old school don't mean I'm better, I'm just getting older" -- Bias B

elizabeth emerald

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "elizabeth emerald" > wrote in message
> > my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
> > something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
> > important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
> >
> > any ideas?

> As has been mentioned, vinegar will replace the acid. If you need the

lemon
> flavor, try using some lemon balm (Melissa officinalis). It is very easy

> grow and the lemon flavor is intense. It can be dried and used in the off
> season. http://www.floridata.com/ref/M/meli_off.cfm

thank you, that is a wonderful suggestion!

> You might also try using some citric acid powder to for the acid component
> if the flavor of vinegar won't work for your purpose. Citric acid is used
> in a lot of food and beverages.

unfortunately he has severe food allergies and cannot have any citric acid
or fruit derivative.
--
elizabeth (in australia)

"Old school don't mean I'm better, I'm just getting older" -- Bias B

elizabeth emerald

"Roy Basan" > wrote in message
om...
> "elizabeth emerald" > wrote in message

> > my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
> > something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
> > important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
> >
> > any ideas?

> I do not know what part of the citrus is your child allergic to..
> It is the citric acid, the essential oils in the peel , the naringin,
> etc.
> That will be a complicated task to determine and you are unlikely to
> use your child as a guinea pig for these experiments.

you are right. i won't be using him as a guinea pig! LOL! seriously, he has
severe multiple allergies, so we avoid all fruit derivatives (as well as
alot of other things)

> Trying to replace the lemon juice with other acids such as vinegar
> (acetic acid) and tartaric acid, lactic acid will result in different
> sensory profile.
> The nearest substitute for citric with the typical fruity tang is
> malic acid. it is Found in apples

malic acid can also be taken from other fruits & the source is not always
known. although he is ok with apples, he is allergic to most other fruits.

> How about apple juice and apple concentrate? Is he not allergic to
> it.?

fresh apple juice is fine. i will give this a try!

> Unfortunately there is no such thing as apple rind that provides the
> essential oils like citrus. You may have to compensate that by adding
> other flavoring agents that is compatible with the cookery items you
> are planning to prepare.

thanks for your suggestions!

--
elizabeth (in australia)

"Old school don't mean I'm better, I'm just getting older" -- Bias B

elizabeth emerald

"Roy Basan" > wrote in message
om...
> "elizabeth emerald" > wrote in message

> > my son is allergic to citrus (among other things) & i am trying to find
> > something to replace lemon/citrus juice & rind in recipes. it is an
> > important ingredient in so many recipes both savoury & sweet.
> >
> > any ideas?

> I do not know what part of the citrus is your child allergic to..
> It is the citric acid, the essential oils in the peel , the naringin,
> etc.
> That will be a complicated task to determine and you are unlikely to
> use your child as a guinea pig for these experiments.

you are right. i won't be using him as a guinea pig! LOL! seriously, he has
severe multiple allergies, so we avoid all fruit derivatives (as well as
alot of other things)

> Trying to replace the lemon juice with other acids such as vinegar
> (acetic acid) and tartaric acid, lactic acid will result in different
> sensory profile.
> The nearest substitute for citric with the typical fruity tang is
> malic acid. it is Found in apples

malic acid can also be taken from other fruits & the source is not always
known. although he is ok with apples, he is allergic to most other fruits.

> How about apple juice and apple concentrate? Is he not allergic to
> it.?

fresh apple juice is fine. i will give this a try!

> Unfortunately there is no such thing as apple rind that provides the
> essential oils like citrus. You may have to compensate that by adding
> other flavoring agents that is compatible with the cookery items you
> are planning to prepare.

thanks for your suggestions!

--
elizabeth (in australia)

"Old school don't mean I'm better, I'm just getting older" -- Bias B

Vox Humana

"elizabeth emerald" > wrote in message

> > You might also try using some citric acid powder to for the acid

component
> > if the flavor of vinegar won't work for your purpose. Citric acid is

used
> > in a lot of food and beverages.

> unfortunately he has severe food allergies and cannot have any citric acid
> or fruit derivative.

I don't mean to cause trouble here, but allergic responses are triggered by
very large molecules, generally proteins. I find it nearly impossible to
believe that citric acid would be an allergen. I would also doubt that
commercially available citric acid would come from citrus fruit. According
to the following article, since about 1923, citric acid has been produced in
a fermentation process using Aspergillus niger and dairy whey..

http://www.academicjournals.org/AJB/...Al-Delaimy.htm

The other consideration is that one of the basic metabolic processes in the
body is the Krebs Cycle, also know as the CITRIC ACID cycle. Therefore,
citric acid (or citrate) is found in virtually all the cells in your body.
If someone were truly allergic to citric acid, it would be a fatal disease.
Here is like to information on the citric acid cycle.
http://people.unt.edu/~hds0006/tca/

Lemon juice [email protected] General Cooking 31 16-10-2015 09:50 AM
Substituting Lime Juice for Lemon Juice Marilyn[_3_] Preserving 15 13-08-2010 03:49 PM
LEMON JUICE No Name General Cooking 1 16-01-2010 04:34 AM
replacing lemon juice elizabeth emerald Recipes 9 02-12-2004 01:44 AM
replacing lemon juice elizabeth emerald General Cooking 33 02-12-2004 12:14 AM