Default off topic- BOOZE & TV

Not really "FOOD", but RFC shows such a diverse
array of interests, knowledge, etc.....

Recently, I've started to see ads for whiskey, rum, etc
on some of my cable TV channels.

I'm sure that all ads for hard liquor were banned
by congress back in the 60's.......
( wish they'd done that with drug ads too )

Has something changed ?

<rj>
Bob Myers

"<RJ>" > wrote in message
> Recently, I've started to see ads for whiskey, rum, etc
> on some of my cable TV channels.
>
> I'm sure that all ads for hard liquor were banned
> by congress back in the 60's.......
> ( wish they'd done that with drug ads too )

Nope. There was a voluntary ban on broadcast advertising, on the
part of the liquor industry, and another one on accepting such ads
on the part of the major broadcast networks, but there was never
anything done by Congress or the FCC with respect to making such
things actual legal prohibitions. The liquor industry started to break
its own voluntary ban in the late 1990s, and the use of TV (esp.
cable) ads for "hard" liquor has been on the rise ever since. The
FCC deadlocked on an inquiry into such advertisting in 1997,
and I wouldn't expect the current Commission to take a firmer
stance on this.

Bob M.

notbob

On 2005-02-28, <RJ> > wrote:

> Recently, I've started to see ads for whiskey, rum, etc
> on some of my cable TV channels.

Actually, NBC was the first to start advertising hard liquor again.

> I'm sure that all ads for hard liquor were banned
> by congress back in the 60's.......

It was a self-imposed industry ban. But, now that hard liquor has lost a
a lot of popularity due to health and fear-of-litigation issues, the
industry is feeling the pinch and rethinking its former good will.
Despite the govt's fanatical rush to bag anything with booze breath,
there seems to be little in the way of govt regulation against this
new tack by the industry, proving once again that money lubricates better
than liquor.

nb

Priscilla H. Ballou

"" wrote:

> Not really "FOOD", but RFC shows such a diverse
> array of interests, knowledge, etc.....
>
> Recently, I've started to see ads for whiskey, rum, etc
> on some of my cable TV channels.
>
> I'm sure that all ads for hard liquor were banned
> by congress back in the 60's.......
> ( wish they'd done that with drug ads too )
>
> Has something changed ?

Operant word: cable. Broadcast ads were banned.

Priscilla
Virginia Tadrzynski

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 09:46:52 -0700, "Bob Myers"
> > wrote:
>

> >"<RJ>" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >> Recently, I've started to see ads for whiskey, rum, etc
> >> on some of my cable TV channels.
> >>
> >> I'm sure that all ads for hard liquor were banned
> >> by congress back in the 60's.......
> >> ( wish they'd done that with drug ads too )

> >Nope. There was a voluntary ban on broadcast advertising, on the
> >part of the liquor industry, and another one on accepting such ads
> >on the part of the major broadcast networks, but there was never
> >anything done by Congress or the FCC with respect to making such
> >things actual legal prohibitions. The liquor industry started to break
> >its own voluntary ban in the late 1990s, and the use of TV (esp.
> >cable) ads for "hard" liquor has been on the rise ever since. The
> >FCC deadlocked on an inquiry into such advertisting in 1997,
> >and I wouldn't expect the current Commission to take a firmer
> >stance on this.
> >
> >Bob M.
> >

> Bush will ban them again. Drinking is a violation of family values
> and all that moral crap he "claims" to follow. He's probably drink a
> fifth or two and snort some cocaine right before he signs the law into
> effect. Remember, the Bush (so far) unwritten laws. Ban alcohol, ban
> smoking, ban sex (except to reproduce), and spend all the time you'd
> be doing these other things, polishing your gun collection, especially
> the assault weapons, except when you are praying to the SAME God that
> tells Bush to start wars and kill.
>
> Now that you mentioned booze, I think I need a mixed drink. Be right
> back !!!

Bushie isn't going to ban anything involving drinking as long as Pete Coors
is one of his big money supporters.

On Topic post about Off Topic Posts (that no one responded to inanother thread) Tommy Joe General Cooking 40 24-09-2012 03:07 AM
Cooking with Booze elfoodied General 0 25-12-2011 03:28 AM
Booze in a bag Ed Pawlowski General Cooking 28 10-03-2010 10:18 PM
Off Topic/On Topic: Disgusting - Monkey Meat Recipe Dee.Dee General Cooking 7 18-11-2007 06:11 PM
Booze Booze Booze fudge General Cooking 0 25-04-2006 08:01 PM