TheAlligator

Default 3 day expiration on bottled curry sauce?

In a post yesterday, I related how I used some "curry sauce with
tandoori spices" purchased at Aldi's in some eggs. I just noticed the
bottle says, "refrigerate after opening, use within 3 days". Is this
probably CYA stuff, or should I heed the advice since I have a
suppressed immune system because of liver problems? I can't imagine
this could be true. If so, guess tonight is curry chicken, curry
potatoes, curry newsprint, curry dog food and anything else we find.
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 28 Feb 2005 05:06:34a, TheAlligator wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In a post yesterday, I related how I used some "curry sauce with
> tandoori spices" purchased at Aldi's in some eggs. I just noticed the
> bottle says, "refrigerate after opening, use within 3 days". Is this
> probably CYA stuff, or should I heed the advice since I have a
> suppressed immune system because of liver problems? I can't imagine
> this could be true. If so, guess tonight is curry chicken, curry
> potatoes, curry newsprint, curry dog food and anything else we find.

That seems an unusually short time, but it really depends most on what
ingredients are in the sauce. Is there anything listed on the bottle that
would logically tend to spoil in a 3-day period?

With your medical condition, I would be overly cautious. In my own case, I
would probably use it after the date.

After the fact, it wouldn't matter whether or not the manufacturer would be
responsible if it made you ill.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
TheAlligator

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>On Mon 28 Feb 2005 05:06:34a, TheAlligator wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> In a post yesterday, I related how I used some "curry sauce with
>> tandoori spices" purchased at Aldi's in some eggs. I just noticed the
>> bottle says, "refrigerate after opening, use within 3 days". Is this
>> probably CYA stuff, or should I heed the advice since I have a
>> suppressed immune system because of liver problems? I can't imagine
>> this could be true. If so, guess tonight is curry chicken, curry
>> potatoes, curry newsprint, curry dog food and anything else we find.

>That seems an unusually short time, but it really depends most on what
>ingredients are in the sauce. Is there anything listed on the bottle that
>would logically tend to spoil in a 3-day period?
>
>With your medical condition, I would be overly cautious. In my own case, I
>would probably use it after the date.
>
>After the fact, it wouldn't matter whether or not the manufacturer would be
>responsible if it made you ill.

Hey, Wayne - thanks for the input. I checked the ingredients and
right after water and vinegar, it shows orange juice, egg yolks and
lowfat yogurt. I know I've kept separated yolks in the fridge for
days, and have eaten yogurt long after the expiration date (how can
you tell if sour milk is bad, anyway ;>) ). But I'm guessing you're
right - why take a chance with something that was cheap as dirt to
begin with. Tonight - a curry feast, then into the trash!
Baldin Pramer

TheAlligator wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>

>>On Mon 28 Feb 2005 05:06:34a, TheAlligator wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>

>>>In a post yesterday, I related how I used some "curry sauce with
>>>tandoori spices" purchased at Aldi's in some eggs. I just noticed the
>>>bottle says, "refrigerate after opening, use within 3 days". Is this
>>>probably CYA stuff, or should I heed the advice since I have a
>>>suppressed immune system because of liver problems? I can't imagine
>>>this could be true. If so, guess tonight is curry chicken, curry
>>>potatoes, curry newsprint, curry dog food and anything else we find.

>>That seems an unusually short time, but it really depends most on what
>>ingredients are in the sauce. Is there anything listed on the bottle that
>>would logically tend to spoil in a 3-day period?
>>
>>With your medical condition, I would be overly cautious. In my own case, I
>>would probably use it after the date.
>>
>>After the fact, it wouldn't matter whether or not the manufacturer would be
>>responsible if it made you ill.

> Hey, Wayne - thanks for the input. I checked the ingredients and
> right after water and vinegar, it shows orange juice, egg yolks and
> lowfat yogurt. I know I've kept separated yolks in the fridge for
> days, and have eaten yogurt long after the expiration date (how can
> you tell if sour milk is bad, anyway ;>) ). But I'm guessing you're
> right - why take a chance with something that was cheap as dirt to
> begin with. Tonight - a curry feast, then into the trash!

Yogurt cultures and egg yolk to grow in....

--
Sir Baldin Pramer, R.P.A.
Maverick

"TheAlligator" > wrote in message
> In a post yesterday, I related how I used some "curry sauce with
> tandoori spices" purchased at Aldi's in some eggs. I just noticed the
> bottle says, "refrigerate after opening, use within 3 days". Is this
> probably CYA stuff, or should I heed the advice since I have a
> suppressed immune system because of liver problems? I can't imagine
> this could be true. If so, guess tonight is curry chicken, curry
> potatoes, curry newsprint, curry dog food and anything else we find.

I don't know but it could be a taste thing. The taste of the sauce could
deteriorate after exposure to air. I haven't come across anything that had
a "use within" period after opening.

OTOH, almost all ketchup bottles say to refrigerate after opening but how
many people or eateries actually do?

YMMV,
Bret

Denise~*

> OTOH, almost all ketchup bottles say to refrigerate after opening but how
> many people or eateries actually do?

(raises hand) Me

> YMMV,
> Bret

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 01 Mar 2005 11:35:59a, Denise~* wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> OTOH, almost all ketchup bottles say to refrigerate after opening but how
>> many people or eateries actually do?

> (raises hand) Me
>
>> YMMV,
>> Bret

In our house, there is almost nothing in a bottle or jar that, once opened,
escapes being stored in refrigerator.

Wayne

serene

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 11:29:34 -0800, Wayne Boatwright wrote
(in article >):

> In our house, there is almost nothing in a bottle or jar that, once opened,
> escapes being stored in refrigerator.

Ours either. Honey and syrup are the exceptions. Oh, and vinegar.

serene

Sheldon

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 01 Mar 2005 11:35:59a, Denise~* wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

> >> OTOH, almost all ketchup bottles say to refrigerate after opening

but how
> >> many people or eateries actually do?

> > (raises hand) Me
> >
> >> YMMV,
> >> Bret

> In our house, there is almost nothing in a bottle or jar that, once

opened,
> escapes being stored in refrigerator.
>
> Wayne

I've never seen ketchup bottles that indicate to refrigerate... just
now checked my Heinz in case they changed something, nope... but still
I've always kept ketchup refrigerated out of choice, because I mostly
use it on cold meat sandwiches and I like the ketchup cold too.

Sheldon

Lena B Katz

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, Denise~* wrote:

>> OTOH, almost all ketchup bottles say to refrigerate after opening but how
>> many people or eateries actually do?

> (raises hand) Me

I never do. had bottles for years. they turn darker red (like dried
blood)... but no other change in taste.

lena