Old 24-02-2005, 04:27 PM
Goedjn

Default Looking for reasonably priced outdoor built-in grill

On 24 Feb 2005 06:38:36 -0800, "Sheldon" wrote:

wrote:
Can anyone give me advice on a reasonably priced
outdoor built-in grill unit? I'd like to build
myself a custom outdoor kitchen, and I'd like to
keep the price of a fairly nice and large main
cook surface to about $1000 or less. I was looking
for LP but natural will work too.

I know these units get expensive, but I also know
that I don't think most of them are worth it, they
are just charging a large luxury premium for these
types of things.

When I was a wee lad, I once worked on a small dock,
where, among other things we sold cooked crab.

The WAY we cooked crab was to build a 4x4x8'
stainless steel box, set down on cinderblocks,
with ledges inside to hold up an expanded-steel
mesh. We'd dump 10 gallons of seawater into the
bottom of the thing, dump 100-400 pounds of
crab in on top, and then shove a burner taken
out of someone's home furnace under the whole thing,
and drip the fuel-line into a can of deisel fuel.

I mention this to illustrate the point that
cooking equipment isn't particularly complicated.

You need a gas supply, a stainless steel
box with a cover, drains, and air-holes,
one or more valves, and an array of replacement
burners, and something to hold the food up
and away from the burners.

If you want something that will also look pretty,
then you also need someone who knows how
to cut and weld stainless.

Old 24-02-2005, 04:51 PM
Sheldon

wrote:
[...]

This has what to do with grilling... and you inserted my attribution
without anything I wrote... your momma has crabs.

Old 25-02-2005, 06:42 AM
sf

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:27:03 -0500, Goedjn
wrote:

When I was a wee lad, I once worked on a small dock,
where, among other things we sold cooked crab.

The WAY we cooked crab was to build a 4x4x8'
stainless steel box, set down on cinderblocks,
with ledges inside to hold up an expanded-steel
mesh. We'd dump 10 gallons of seawater into the
bottom of the thing, dump 100-400 pounds of
crab in on top, and then shove a burner taken
out of someone's home furnace under the whole thing,
and drip the fuel-line into a can of deisel fuel.

That's not a family dinner, ferser.

sf