Hahabogus

Default Stilton cheese

I tried my first stilton cheese today...I believe it was a double
Glouchestered stilton...(had 2 yellow stripes with bluish green flecks in
it's cheddar orange body).

I found it very tasty...very soft, sharper in taste than a old cheddar,
and very rich and smooth.

What would you eat it with?

I was thinking just in a fruit and cheese dish/plate. I think it would be
too strong for a sandwich or cooking to my thinking.

Suggestions please.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban
JeanineAlyse in 29 Palms

(Hahabogus) tells and asks....
>I tried my first stilton cheese today...I
>believe it was a double Glouchestered
>stilton...(had 2 yellow stripes with bluish
>green flecks in it's cheddar orange body).
>I found it very tasty...very soft, sharper in
>taste than a old cheddar, and very rich
>and smooth.
>What would you eat it with? I was
>thinking just in a fruit and cheese
>dish/plate. I think it would be too strong
>for a sandwich or cooking to my thinking.
>Suggestions please.

I've just printed this from another newsgroup (WebTV only). It was
posted there without proper credit, but here goes....

Creamy Stilton Soup
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 medium onion, finely chopped (1/2 cup) 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
(1/2 cup) 1 bay leaf
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups half-and-half
1 1/2 cups crumbled Stilton cheese (6 ounces)
Chopped fresh parsley, if desired
1. Melt butter in 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion, carrot
and bay leaf in butter about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until
onion and carrot are tender.
2. Stir in flour and white pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring
constantly, until smooth and bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in broth and
half-and half. Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly;
boil and stir 1 minute.
3. Stir in cheese. Heat over low heat, stirring constantly, just until
cheese is melted. Remove bay leaf. Sprinkle parsley over soup. Makes 6
servings

Picky ~JA~

Christine

"Hahabogus" > wrote in message
>I tried my first stilton cheese today...I believe it was a double
> Glouchestered stilton...(had 2 yellow stripes with bluish green flecks in
> it's cheddar orange body).
>
> I found it very tasty...very soft, sharper in taste than a old cheddar,
> and very rich and smooth.
>
> What would you eat it with?
>
> I was thinking just in a fruit and cheese dish/plate. I think it would be
> too strong for a sandwich or cooking to my thinking.
>
> Suggestions please.

Stilton is very good on dessert cheese plate, but here's one of my favorite
uses. I make it as a nice dipping sauce for steak.. rib eye, sirloin, etc.

* Exported from MasterCook II *

Stilton Sauce

Recipe By : Jim Roller/T. Ulf Westbloom, M.D.

Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:30

Categories : Company Cheese

Sauces

1/4 pound Blue cheese -- Stilton, softened

1/2 stick unsalted butter -- softened

3/4 cup dry white wine

2 teaspoons green peppercorns -- freeze-dried

1/2 cup heavy cream

2 teaspoons fresh parsley -- minced

In a bowl, cream together the cheese and the butter until the mixture is
smooth. In a saucepan, boil the wine with the peppercorns until it is
reduced to about 1 tablespoon, add the cream, and boil the liquid until it
is reduced to about half. Reduce the heat to moderately low, whisk in the
cheese mixture, a little at a time, into the cream mixture, and whisk in the
parsley. Remove the pan from the heat and keep the sauce warm.

Peter Aitken

"Hahabogus" > wrote in message
>I tried my first stilton cheese today...I believe it was a double
> Glouchestered stilton...(had 2 yellow stripes with bluish green flecks in
> it's cheddar orange body).
>
> I found it very tasty...very soft, sharper in taste than a old cheddar,
> and very rich and smooth.
>
> What would you eat it with?

A classic use is as "dessert" with walnuts and port. Also, as you have
already figured out, with fruit. Ripe pears would be my first choice.

--
Peter Aitken

Arri London

Hahabogus wrote:

> I tried my first stilton cheese today...I believe it was a double
> Glouchestered stilton...(had 2 yellow stripes with bluish green flecks in
> it's cheddar orange body).
>
> I found it very tasty...very soft, sharper in taste than a old cheddar,
> and very rich and smooth.
>
> What would you eat it with?
>
> I was thinking just in a fruit and cheese dish/plate. I think it would be
> too strong for a sandwich or cooking to my thinking.
>
> Suggestions please.

This site has suggestions for using real Stilton:

http://www.stiltoncheese.com

Did you cheese shop/cheesemonger call what you bought Stilton?
http://www.stiltoncheese.com/US/care/wrapdisplay.html has a picture of
what Stilton looks like.

> --
> No Bread Crumbs were hurt in the making of this Meal.
> Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
> Continuing to be Manitoban

Hahabogus

Arri London > wrote in :

> This site has suggestions for using real Stilton:
>
> http://www.stiltoncheese.com
>
> Did you cheese shop/cheesemonger call what you bought Stilton?
> http://www.stiltoncheese.com/US/care/wrapdisplay.html has a picture of
> what Stilton looks like.

I asked for the cheese because the name intrigued me. I read it off the
label on the partial wheel. But I have a poor memory and terrible
spelling abilities. I believe it was Double Glouchestered or Gloushired
Stilton. It's the Glouchestered/Gloushired that isn't firm in my
memory...the stilton part of the name is firm in my memory. The cheese
was cheddar orange with 2 pale yellow stripes that were flecked with blue
green...The wedge was about 4 inches high with 2- 1 inch stripes of pale
yellow running thru the middle. It was the pale yellow stripes were
flecked. And was covered on it's outer rim with a black coloured wax.

It didn't look much like the picture supplied at
http://www.stiltoncheese.com/US/care/wrapdisplay.html

I found the taste to be that of a sharp cheese...sharper in taste then
old cheddar...And it was softer and richer than the usual supermarket
cheeses of my past limited experience. A very nice strong tasting cheese
in my opinion. Most cheeses of my past experience could or would bounce
if dropped...The stilton on being dropped would crumble and splat.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban
Hahabogus

Hahabogus > wrote in
:

> I asked for the cheese because the name intrigued me. I read it off
> the label on the partial wheel. But I have a poor memory and
> terrible spelling abilities. I believe it was Double Glouchestered
> or Gloushired Stilton. It's the Glouchestered/Gloushired that isn't
> firm in my memory...the stilton part of the name is firm in my
> memory. The cheese was cheddar orange with 2 pale yellow stripes
> that were flecked with blue green...The wedge was about 4 inches
> high with 2- 1 inch stripes of pale yellow running thru the middle.
> It was the pale yellow stripes were flecked. And was covered on it's
> outer rim with a black coloured wax.
>
> It didn't look much like the picture supplied at
> http://www.stiltoncheese.com/US/care/wrapdisplay.html
>
> I found the taste to be that of a sharp cheese...sharper in taste
> then old cheddar...And it was softer and richer than the usual
> supermarket cheeses of my past limited experience. A very nice
> strong tasting cheese in my opinion. Most cheeses of my past
> experience could or would bounce if dropped...The stilton on being
> dropped would crumble and splat.
>
> --
> No Bread Crumbs were hurt in the making of this Meal.
> Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
> Continuing to be Manitoban

I looked around on the Web...and it was Double Gloucester Stilton

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban
Ariane Jenkins

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 01:04:32 GMT, Hahabogus > wrote:

> I looked around on the Web...and it was Double Gloucester Stilton

Just to be more specific, I believe it's Double Gloucester _and_
Stilton-- two different cheeses layered together. I've seen it sold here at
Jungle Jim's and other fancy gourmet shops. Both can be purchased separately.

Ariane
Jude

my cheese shop has some interesting varieties that i would liem to
try: stilton with lemon, stilton with blueberry, stilton with
cranberry, and stilton with mango and ginger are all oines i've seen.

anyone tried these varieties?

:

> > This site has suggestions for using real Stilton:
> >
> > http://www.stiltoncheese.com
> >
> > Did you cheese shop/cheesemonger call what you bought Stilton?
> > http://www.stiltoncheese.com/US/care/wrapdisplay.html has a picture

of
> > what Stilton looks like.
> >

> I asked for the cheese because the name intrigued me. <snip>

I suspect what you bought was a cheese commonly called "Huntsman",
which is double Gloucester around a thinnish stripe of Stilton. Cut in
a wedge one sees a top layer of orange double Gloucester, a thinner
layer of Stilton, and then another layer of double Gloucester. IIRC,
sometimes there are two thin layers of Stilton.

Stilton itself is a blue-veined cheese, very good.

Mac

Gabby

"Hahabogus" > wrote in message
>I tried my first stilton cheese today...I believe it was a double
> Glouchestered stilton...(had 2 yellow stripes with bluish green flecks in
> it's cheddar orange body).
>
> I found it very tasty...very soft, sharper in taste than a old cheddar,
> and very rich and smooth.
>
> What would you eat it with?
>
> I was thinking just in a fruit and cheese dish/plate. I think it would be
> too strong for a sandwich or cooking to my thinking.

I occasionally buy that cheese myself and usually enjoy it with grapes and a
Granny Smith apple.

Gabby

Kswck

"Hahabogus" > wrote in message
>I tried my first stilton cheese today...I believe it was a double
> Glouchestered stilton...(had 2 yellow stripes with bluish green flecks in
> it's cheddar orange body).
>
> I found it very tasty...very soft, sharper in taste than a old cheddar,
> and very rich and smooth.
>
> What would you eat it with?
>
> I was thinking just in a fruit and cheese dish/plate. I think it would be
> too strong for a sandwich or cooking to my thinking.
>
> Suggestions please.
>

> --
> No Bread Crumbs were hurt in the making of this Meal.
> Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
> Continuing to be Manitoban

Crumbled over a salad

Boron Elgar

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 00:52:39 GMT, Hahabogus >
wrote:

>Arri London > wrote in :
>
>> This site has suggestions for using real Stilton:
>>
>> http://www.stiltoncheese.com
>>
>> Did you cheese shop/cheesemonger call what you bought Stilton?
>> http://www.stiltoncheese.com/US/care/wrapdisplay.html has a picture of
>> what Stilton looks like.
>>

>I asked for the cheese because the name intrigued me. I read it off the
>label on the partial wheel. But I have a poor memory and terrible
>spelling abilities. I believe it was Double Glouchestered or Gloushired
>Stilton. It's the Glouchestered/Gloushired that isn't firm in my
>memory...the stilton part of the name is firm in my memory. The cheese
>was cheddar orange with 2 pale yellow stripes that were flecked with blue
>green...The wedge was about 4 inches high with 2- 1 inch stripes of pale
>yellow running thru the middle. It was the pale yellow stripes were
>flecked. And was covered on it's outer rim with a black coloured wax.
>
>It didn't look much like the picture supplied at
> http://www.stiltoncheese.com/US/care/wrapdisplay.html
>
>I found the taste to be that of a sharp cheese...sharper in taste then
>old cheddar...And it was softer and richer than the usual supermarket
>cheeses of my past limited experience. A very nice strong tasting cheese
>in my opinion. Most cheeses of my past experience could or would bounce
>if dropped...The stilton on being dropped would crumble and splat.

This is a lovely cheese, with a pleasing contrast between the almost
creamy-salty taste of the Stilton and the sharp Gloucester. I like to
serve it with fruit.

http://www.hormel.com/kitchen/glossa...887&catitemid=

Boron
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 22:36:04 GMT, Hahabogus >
wrote:

>I tried my first stilton cheese today...I believe it was a double
>Glouchestered stilton...(had 2 yellow stripes with bluish green flecks in
>it's cheddar orange body).
>
>I found it very tasty...very soft, sharper in taste than a old cheddar,
>and very rich and smooth.
>
>What would you eat it with?
>
>I was thinking just in a fruit and cheese dish/plate. I think it would be
>too strong for a sandwich or cooking to my thinking.
>
>Suggestions please.

Port

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC

Let's Put the XXX back in Xmas
Charles Gifford

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Hahabogus wrote:
> > Arri London > wrote in

> :
> >
> > > This site has suggestions for using real Stilton:
> > >
> > > http://www.stiltoncheese.com
> > >
> > > Did you cheese shop/cheesemonger call what you bought Stilton?
> > > http://www.stiltoncheese.com/US/care/wrapdisplay.html has a picture

> of
> > > what Stilton looks like.
> > >

> > I asked for the cheese because the name intrigued me. <snip>

> I suspect what you bought was a cheese commonly called "Huntsman",
> which is double Gloucester around a thinnish stripe of Stilton. Cut in
> a wedge one sees a top layer of orange double Gloucester, a thinner
> layer of Stilton, and then another layer of double Gloucester. IIRC,
> sometimes there are two thin layers of Stilton.
>
> Stilton itself is a blue-veined cheese, very good.
>
> Mac

Right. I'll add that the Stilton used to make Huntsman is of the poorest
quality.

Charlie

Arri London

Hahabogus wrote:

> Arri London > wrote in :
>
> > This site has suggestions for using real Stilton:
> >
> > http://www.stiltoncheese.com
> >
> > Did you cheese shop/cheesemonger call what you bought Stilton?
> > http://www.stiltoncheese.com/US/care/wrapdisplay.html has a picture of
> > what Stilton looks like.
> >

> I asked for the cheese because the name intrigued me. I read it off the
> label on the partial wheel. But I have a poor memory and terrible
> spelling abilities. I believe it was Double Glouchestered or Gloushired
> Stilton. It's the Glouchestered/Gloushired that isn't firm in my
> memory...

LOL Gloucester or Double Gloucester

the stilton part of the name is firm in my memory. The cheese
> was cheddar orange with 2 pale yellow stripes that were flecked with blue
> green...The wedge was about 4 inches high with 2- 1 inch stripes of pale
> yellow running thru the middle. It was the pale yellow stripes were
> flecked. And was covered on it's outer rim with a black coloured wax.
>
> It didn't look much like the picture supplied at
> http://www.stiltoncheese.com/US/care/wrapdisplay.html

No it wouldn't. Surprised they were allowed to use the name 'stilton' in
it but that's neither here nor there.

> I found the taste to be that of a sharp cheese...sharper in taste then
> old cheddar...And it was softer and richer than the usual supermarket
> cheeses of my past limited experience. A very nice strong tasting cheese
> in my opinion. Most cheeses of my past experience could or would bounce
> if dropped...The stilton on being dropped would crumble and splat.

LOL yes a real stilton would crumble and splat once the wax was taken
off.

> --
> No Bread Crumbs were hurt in the making of this Meal.
> Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
> Continuing to be Manitoban

pavane

"Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Hahabogus wrote:
> > > Arri London > wrote in

> > :

> > of
> > > >

> > > I asked for the cheese because the name intrigued me. <snip>

> > I suspect what you bought was a cheese commonly called "Huntsman",
> > which is double Gloucester around a thinnish stripe of Stilton. Cut in
> > a wedge one sees a top layer of orange double Gloucester, a thinner
> > layer of Stilton, and then another layer of double Gloucester. IIRC,
> > sometimes there are two thin layers of Stilton.
> >
> > Stilton itself is a blue-veined cheese, very good.
> >
> > Mac

> Right. I'll add that the Stilton used to make Huntsman is of the poorest
> quality.
>
> Charlie

Quite so. As is the quality of the "double Gloucester." They are both
very young, salty and unaged crap; together they form an affinity of
sorts for each other. It ends up being a cute little salty palate teaser,
but it is neither Stilton nor Double Gloucester, both of which properly
aged are delicious cheeses, full of character and flavor. Go find a good
piece of each, and learn what you are experiencing, which is the attribution
of the characteristics of an excellent set of cheeses to a cheap
commercial fraud.

pavane

David Hare-Scott

"Hahabogus" > wrote in message
> I tried my first stilton cheese today...I believe it was a double
> Glouchestered stilton...(had 2 yellow stripes with bluish green flecks in
> it's cheddar orange body).
>
> I found it very tasty...very soft, sharper in taste than a old cheddar,
> and very rich and smooth.
>
> What would you eat it with?

It depends on how strong/ripe it is. It sounds like the one that you had
was fairly ripe.

It tends to get more pungent and ammoniacal with age. If you get one of the
sealed crocks (eg Melton Mowbray [sp?] ) when you first break the seal the
blue veins are quite undeveloped and so is the flavour. At this stage you
could do many things with it but probably the best is to let it ripen
somewhat. When the veins are very developed and the cheese is quite soft
and squishy it becomes very strong and I would then only eat it on a plain
cracker biscuit, perhaps with a very dry sherry.

David

Max Hauser

This "Huntsman" cheese of layered Stilton and Double Gloucester showed up in
the US in the 1980s I think and has become popular.

Here is the best quotation I know on Stiltons.

-------------
Stiltons are accustomed to receiving a good deal of attention. So
much time, skill, and care goes into making them that, as Mrs.
Musson of Wartnaby, a dairywoman famous for her cheeses,
remarked to Rider Haggard, "Except that they make no noise,
Stiltons are more trouble than babies." They have to be turned
more often than other cheeses while they are ripening, and at the
later ripening stages they have to be brushed each day to keep
them free of mites. Of those who do the daily brushings Sir John
Squires has said, "The job is one in which a man should take as
much pride as a groundsman takes in his wicket at Lord's." And
Burdett calls their work "Blessed labour!"

Marquis & Haskell, _The Cheese Book,_ p. 154 (via M. T.)

-- Max Hauser

Julia Altshuler

pavane wrote:

> Quite so. As is the quality of the "double Gloucester." They are both
> very young, salty and unaged crap; together they form an affinity of
> sorts for each other. It ends up being a cute little salty palate teaser,
> but it is neither Stilton nor Double Gloucester, both of which properly
> aged are delicious cheeses, full of character and flavor. Go find a good
> piece of each, and learn what you are experiencing, which is the attribution
> of the characteristics of an excellent set of cheeses to a cheap
> commercial fraud.

My experience with Huntsman at the wine and cheese shop where I work is
that Huntsman is a great introduction to blue cheeses for people who
don't like blue cheeses. Our policy is to let customers try samples of
cheeses and decide for themselves what they like and want to buy. We do
have customers with sophisticated palates who prefer the better cheeses.
We also have customers (and staff like me) who didn't start with a
great knowledge of flavors and flavor pairings but who are getting
there. A fair number of customers want something that looks great on
cheese platter. For them, there is Huntsman. This isn't necessarily a
bad thing. The blue flavor isn't overwhelming, and the cheese is
visually appealing with those nice stripes. If they want to graduate to
a variety of blue cheeses, we carry a good selection.

--Lia

Dave Smith

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> My experience with Huntsman at the wine and cheese shop where I work is
> that Huntsman is a great introduction to blue cheeses for people who
> don't like blue cheeses. Our policy is to let customers try samples of
> cheeses and decide for themselves what they like and want to buy. We do
> have customers with sophisticated palates who prefer the better cheeses.
> We also have customers (and staff like me) who didn't start with a

If you want to get people hooked on bleu cheese, give it to them with a pear. That
is one of those great flavour combinations.

pavane

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
> pavane wrote:
>
> > Quite so. As is the quality of the "double Gloucester." They are both
> > very young, salty and unaged crap; together they form an affinity of
> > sorts for each other. It ends up being a cute little salty palate

teaser,
> > but it is neither Stilton nor Double Gloucester, both of which properly
> > aged are delicious cheeses, full of character and flavor. Go find a

good
> > piece of each, and learn what you are experiencing, which is the

attribution
> > of the characteristics of an excellent set of cheeses to a cheap
> > commercial fraud.

> My experience with Huntsman at the wine and cheese shop where I work is
> that Huntsman is a great introduction to blue cheeses for people who
> don't like blue cheeses. Our policy is to let customers try samples of
> cheeses and decide for themselves what they like and want to buy. We do
> have customers with sophisticated palates who prefer the better cheeses.
> We also have customers (and staff like me) who didn't start with a
> great knowledge of flavors and flavor pairings but who are getting
> there. A fair number of customers want something that looks great on
> cheese platter. For them, there is Huntsman. This isn't necessarily a
> bad thing. The blue flavor isn't overwhelming, and the cheese is
> visually appealing with those nice stripes. If they want to graduate to
> a variety of blue cheeses, we carry a good selection.

Exactly. You don't pass Huntsman off as "Stilton," it is a different cheese
in
its own right. My problem was that this thread was assuming the Huntsman
to be a Stilton & Double Gloucester in flavor, which you know it isn't. But
it
does look good on a cheese platter, doesn't it?

pavane