Default Will storing tomatos and onions in the frig extend their life

I don't buy many vegetables because I don't eat many, but if I stored
them in the frig would they last longer?

Katra

In article .com>,
" > wrote:

> I don't buy many vegetables because I don't eat many, but if I stored
> them in the frig would they last longer?

Works for me....... ;-)

Kat

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
to use mental floss twice a day. -- Swami Beyondanada

Phred

In article > , Dog3 > wrote:
>Katra > wrote in
:

[snip]
>> When I buy tomatoes, I get a couple that are fairly ripe, and a few
>> more that are not. They keep in the 'frige for up to two weeks.
>>
>> Onions, I buy about once per month. Refrigerated in a wicker basket,
>> they keep for up to 6 weeks for me. Same for garlic, shallots and
>> leeks.
>>
>> If dad over-shops for produce, I vacuum seal some stuff that won't
>> keep long. The asparagus I "food saved" 2 weeks ago are still ok...
>>

>I keep several types of canned tomatoes on hand all the time. Especially
>during the winters here. The canned tomatoes always come in handy when the
>fresh are either unavailable or just plain nasty. I always have a can or 2
>of asparagus on hand also. The canned asparagus is somewhat soggy but is
>good in salads.

1. Lots of "cooks" I know reckon canned tomatoes are better than fresh
for many recipes (especially involving pasta).

2. In recent year we've had crisp asparagus spears available in tall
bottles. Usually marinated with peppers and other stuff, and mostly
coming from Kiwiland. Not sure how they would go in recipes, but
they're pretty nice to snack on with a pre-dinner glass of plonk. (Or
even with an after dinner glass of plonk. :-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Siobhan Perricone

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 03:51:35 -0600, Katra >
wrote:

>When I buy tomatoes, I get a couple that are fairly ripe, and a few more
>that are not. They keep in the 'frige for up to two weeks.

If I leave my tomatoes out (I do the same thing, I only go shopping every
two weeks) they get mold on them faster. They last longer in the fridge.
They are not as tasty as tomatoes I bought from the farmer's market and use
the same day, of course. But I don't expect fantastic tomatoes in the
winter and in the summer I *do* go to the farmer's market on Saturdays, and
I'm thinking about having a small salsa garden (tomatoes, peppers, onions,
herbs) so I'll have fresh tomatoes right out my kitchen door.

>Onions, I buy about once per month. Refrigerated in a wicker basket,
>they keep for up to 6 weeks for me. Same for garlic, shallots and leeks.

I never need to keep onions refrigerated. I have a hanging basket in my
pantry that I keep my onions, garlic, and shallots in. I don't buy leeks
enough to store them 'cos when I buy them it's usually for a recipe I'm
making that day.

--
Siobhan Perricone
Humans wrote the bible,

Nancy Young

"Dog3" > wrote in message
1...

> I do not store either in the fridge. Tomatoes seem (to me) to lose their
> texture and flavor when refrigerated.

It's not you ... it's scientific fact. Some chemical change happens to the
tomato.

This reminds me, I made a BLT this weekend, supermarket tomato. Of
course, I had to take out a bank loan to buy it, but hey, you gotta have
tomatoes. Man, was it ever good! Nice change from the old cardboard
winter tomatoes.

> I only buy the tomatoes and onions I
> am going to use for a few days. I never have a surplus laying around. If I
> had a bunch of extra, I would make a soup.

Good idea ... I have a bad habit of letting tomatoes go bad. Then I'm
mad at myself.

nancy

Peter Aitken

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I don't buy many vegetables because I don't eat many, but if I stored
> them in the frig would they last longer?

Refrigerating tomatoes spoils their flavor. Of course many tomatoes
available this time of year have no flavor anyway, so it can't hurt <g>!

Onions should last a couple of weeks at least if kept in a cool, dry, dark
and ventilated spot.

--
Peter Aitken

zuuum

> > In article .com>,
> > " > wrote:
> >
> >> I don't buy many vegetables because I don't eat many, but if I stored
> >> them in the frig would they last longer?

Storing tomatoes in your frig is fine, but let them warm for at least a day
before you use them raw.
All flavors are subdued when chilled.

Also... check your frig temp to make sure it is just under 40 F. 40 is the
threshold most bacterial growth slows at.

Peter Aitken

"zuuum" > wrote in message

> Storing tomatoes in your frig is fine, but let them warm for at least a
> day
> before you use them raw.
> All flavors are subdued when chilled.

It's not just the chilled effect. Even after warming back up a refrigerated
tomato will have less flavor. The flavor compounds degrade faster in cold
termperatures.

--
Peter Aitken

zuuum

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "Dog3" > wrote in message
> 1...
>
> > I do not store either in the fridge. Tomatoes seem (to me) to lose

their
> > texture and flavor when refrigerated.

> It's not you ... it's scientific fact. Some chemical change happens to

the
> tomato.

Have you ever heard that chilled Potatoes convert from starch to sugar and
that it takes several days at room temp to revert?

aem

Siobhan Perricone wrote:
>[snip]
> I'm thinking about having a small salsa garden (tomatoes, peppers,

onions,
> herbs) so I'll have fresh tomatoes right out my kitchen door.

Be very careful, you may be unwittingly committing yourself to a
lifetime of work! We had the same thought many years ago and the
satisfaction of "growing your own" was so great that we've never been
able to stop trying. Incidentally, if you have the hot summers that
tomatoes and peppers love, consider growing Japanese eggplants as well.
They are beautiful plants in the garden plot, and if you also stick a
zucchini plant in you can now make ratatouille from your own backyard.

-aem

Siobhan Perricone

On 15 Feb 2005 11:45:41 -0800, "aem" > wrote:

>Siobhan Perricone wrote:
>>[snip]
>> I'm thinking about having a small salsa garden (tomatoes, peppers,

>onions,
>> herbs) so I'll have fresh tomatoes right out my kitchen door.

>Be very careful, you may be unwittingly committing yourself to a
>lifetime of work! We had the same thought many years ago and the
>satisfaction of "growing your own" was so great that we've never been
>able to stop trying. Incidentally, if you have the hot summers that
>tomatoes and peppers love, consider growing Japanese eggplants as well.
> They are beautiful plants in the garden plot, and if you also stick a
>zucchini plant in you can now make ratatouille from your own backyard.

If I liked either eggplant or zucchini I would. I've had large gardens
before and not done very well with them. I think I'll probably stick to
just a very small one

--
Siobhan Perricone
Humans wrote the bible,
aem

Siobhan Perricone wrote:
[snip]
> I've had large gardens
> before and not done very well with them. I think I'll probably stick

> just a very small one

That's cool. Even growing a few herbs in pots on an apartment balcony
is fun and leads to more satisfying food.

-aem

aem

Dog3 wrote:
> Yeah well I didn't have much luck. I live on the PH floor and had

tomato
> plants on the terrace which did nothing. The rosemary did well along

with
> some potted flowers. One year I tried to grow corn. What a mess that

was.

> Michael

Corn, lol. That's a tough one, needing a lot of sun, water and
fertilizer, not to mention that you need to have a stand at least 6' by
6' so it will pollinate to set the ears. We managed to bring a crop to
harvest once but it was so much trouble we didn't try again. On a
terrace, you might just try more herbs in pots. Parsley, cilantro,
basil, dill, thyme (several varieties), will probably do as well as
your rosemary if you get a reasonable amount of sun. You don't need to
water herbs as much as vegetables. Many years ago we managed to
harvest some strawberries and swiss chard from balcony pots. Unlikely
combination, but that's what the nurseryman gave us when we asked what
was easy for beginners to grow.

-aem

Gregory Morrow

Dog3 wrote:

> I was not too bright back then. I tried growing corn in pots. Gawd!

In rural areas some try to grow pot in corn ;-)

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow

Dog3 wrote:

> "Gregory Morrow"
> <gregorymorrowEMERGENCYCANCELLATIONARCHIMEDES@eart hlink.net> wrote in
> nk.net:
>

> > Dog3 wrote:
> >
> >> I was not too bright back then. I tried growing corn in pots. Gawd!
> >>

> > In rural areas some try to grow pot in corn ;-)
> >

> In the rural areas around here, the methane labes are in the cornfields or
> the trunks of cars.
>
> Michael <- not kidding either

That rural meth stuff is crazy...even in my podunck home county there have
been arrests for this...

Until a coupla years ago I had a building janitor whose wife was on the
stuff, jeez she was a strung - out screaming hag. Was 40 and looked
240...we complained about her behavior and the couple had to "move on" as it
were...

[Here in Chicago recently a prominent *** guy with a meth "problem" ran over
a taxi driver; they had a fare dispute, the cabbie got out of the car, the
*** guy got behind the wheel of the taxi and ran him over but DEAD...another
incident occured when the cops were called to an apartment, the two guys
living there called about a third roomate who was going berzerk. The cops
came, they had to taser the crazy guy who in turn DIED on them, autopsy
showed meth. Turns out he was under investigation for the death of some guy
in Indianer, he'd picked the guy up at a bar, game him GHB the date rape
drug. The pick - up O - D'ed and DIED, so this dude decided just to bury
the decedent on the family farm...oi vey! All this drama! I feel like a
regular Hedda Hopper...]

The "wildest" drug thing I can remember growing up is that one of my friends
discovered a bunch of "old - growth" mary jane plants in a very isolated
place by their farm, probably left over from WWII when it was raised for
hemp. No, we didn't try smoking it either...life was so innocent in 1972
:-|

--
Best
Greg

Katra

In article et>,
"Gregory Morrow"
<gregorymorrowEMERGENCYCANCELLATIONARCHIMEDES@eart hlink.net> wrote:

> Dog3 wrote:
>
> > I was not too bright back then. I tried growing corn in pots. Gawd!
> >

> In rural areas some try to grow pot in corn ;-)

<lolol!!!>
--
K.
Maverick

"Dog3" > wrote in message
1...
> "Gregory Morrow"
> <gregorymorrowEMERGENCYCANCELLATIONARCHIMEDES@eart hlink.net> wrote in
> nk.net:
>

>> Dog3 wrote:
>>
>>> I was not too bright back then. I tried growing corn in pots. Gawd!
>>>

>> In rural areas some try to grow pot in corn ;-)
>>

> In the rural areas around here, the methane labes are in the cornfields or
> the trunks of cars.
>
> Michael <- not kidding either

Are we neighbors?!?!? Here in the panhandle of Nebraska, they are busting
meth labs left and right. I think the cops are overlooking the pot
though...Not enough media exposure to make it worth their time.

Bret <- totally serious