mary

Default Egg Spots and New Frig

I bought a new fridge, and I noticed that there are no spots to place your
eggs out of the carton. I did not look at alot of fridges when I purchased
mine, but it is the same size as the one I purchased twenty years ago. Have
they eliminated the "spots" because the common thought is that if you take
your eggs out of the carton they will take on oders from the fridge or do
people buy less eggs. Or does salamalila have anything to do with it.

Thanks

Tom

Terry Pulliam Burd

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 16:59:20 -0400, "mary" >
arranged random neurons, so they looked like this:

>I bought a new fridge, and I noticed that there are no spots to place your
>eggs out of the carton. I did not look at alot of fridges when I purchased
>mine, but it is the same size as the one I purchased twenty years ago. Have
>they eliminated the "spots" because the common thought is that if you take
>your eggs out of the carton they will take on oders from the fridge or do
>people buy less eggs. Or does salamalila have anything to do with it.

May have more to do with cost cutting than social trends. Egg cartons
work just as well, AFAICS.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
good dinner." Duncan Hines

To reply, remove replace "spaminator" with "cox"
ConnieG999

"mary" > writes:

>Have
>they eliminated the "spots" because the common thought is that if you take
>your eggs out of the carton they will take on oders from the fridge or do
>people buy less eggs. Or does salamalila have anything to do with it.

Most egg producers now have recommended that eggs not be stored in the door of
the refrigerator because it's the warmest place in the whole unit, being waved
around in the room air every time he door is opened. And most of the newer
refrigerator model makers have taken any legal responsibility for salmonella,
etc., off themselves by not providing the egg trays.

From the American Egg Board:
To guard against breakage and odor absorption and to help prevent the loss of
carbon dioxide and moisture which lowers egg quality, store raw shell eggs in
their cartons. Place egg cartons on a middle or lower shelf where the
temperature will fluctuate less than on the door. Refrigerated raw shell eggs
will keep without significant quality loss for about 4 to 5 weeks beyond the
pack date or about 3 weeks after you bring them home.

Connie
My mind is like a steel...um, whatchamacallit.

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 18:53:45 -0500, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 16:59:20 -0400, "mary" >
>wrote:
>
>>I bought a new fridge, and I noticed that there are no spots to place your
>>eggs out of the carton. I did not look at alot of fridges when I purchased
>>mine, but it is the same size as the one I purchased twenty years ago. Have
>>they eliminated the "spots" because the common thought is that if you take
>>your eggs out of the carton they will take on oders from the fridge or do
>>people buy less eggs. Or does salamalila have anything to do with it.

>Egg divots are useless. Maybe if you have a few hens out back,
>but otherwise what's the use? They just take up valuable door
>space that can be designed to be of better use.
>
>Keep the eggs in the carton.
>
>Butter compartments are another useless feature. The doors don't
>keep out odors or serve any other useful purpose. If you're using
>a butter dish, it should have a cover and can be stored anywhere
>in the fridge.
>
>-sw

Butter compartments are in fact very useful.
PENMART01

>Butter compartments are in fact very useful.

For what... probably where you store your rectal/vaginal suppositories.

Dedicated egg and butter compartments are hold overs from the time before frost
free units... and they had no circulation fans either... so very often there'd
be cold spots, where butter and eggs would otherwise freeze. Modern frost-free
units maintain constant temperature throughout, except in the specialized
compartments where one can easily regulate temperature and humidity at will.
With modern units butter and eggs can safely be stored anywhere in the unit's
general compartment without risk of freezing; store butter in a covered dish
(glass is best), eggs in their original carton. Also, even with the most
modern fridge temperatures will vary 2-3dF,so it's a good habit to use a
refrigerator thermometer so as to make and maintain proper settings and to
determine the coldest/warmest parts of the compartment; most often the topmost
door shelf will be the warmest spot, a good place to store the butter dish for
ease in spreadibility. Eggs should be stored in the coldest spot; most usually
the lowest shelf.... use your thermometer to ensure that no portion of the
fridge freezes.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Reg

Steve Wertz wrote:

> Is that one of the theories behind the Butter Compartment - it's
> supposed to be warmer?

Butter warmers were a passing fad. Now they are simply
butter compartments... same temp as the rest of the box.

Sure made for good comedy material though

JNJ

We use our butter compartment for our butter of course, but it's also a good
place to put a partial sliced onion or tomato, as well as any of a number of
small items that were opened for partial use. The rest is just kept in the
door or a drawer in the fridge.

Eggs we tend to keep in the carton and on the lower shelf. I've been
looking for a better container, something along the lines of a plastic box
type of thing, with little luck. We saw one once and did not pick it
up --naturally, they're nowhere to be found now.

PENMART01

> "JNJ" oopsies:
>
>We use our butter compartment for our butter of course, but it's also a good
>place to put a partial sliced onion.

Idiot.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Michael Rolfe

"Katra" > wrote in message

> Sorry, but I like them too. Not because they do anything special for the
> butter, but just because I like to keep the butter there so it makes it
> easy to find and it does not waste space on the shelves.

I achieve the same effect by leaving the butter dish out on the
counter-top. This also pleasingly enhances spreadability.

Katra

In article >,
"Michael Rolfe" > wrote:

> "Katra" > wrote in message
>
> > Sorry, but I like them too. Not because they do anything special for the
> > butter, but just because I like to keep the butter there so it makes it
> > easy to find and it does not waste space on the shelves.

> I achieve the same effect by leaving the butter dish out on the
> counter-top. This also pleasingly enhances spreadability.

Cats....... <lol>
Can't do that. They LOVE butter!

Also since I rarely eat bread, I don't need my butter spreadable.
I use it mostly for cooking.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Terry Pulliam Burd

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 20:02:29 GMT, Wayne > arranged

:

>> Is that one of the theories behind the Butter Compartment - it's
>> supposed to be warmer?
>>
>> -sw

>Yes, it's supposed to keep it at "spreading" temperature. Mine is never
>warm enough for that.

Even the whipped butter, stored in the door compartment, is too hard
to spread.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"Regime Change Begins At Home."

To reply, remove replace "spaminator" with "cox"
JNJ

> Googling with merely using plastic+egg+cartons comes up with this site
> as a first of 21,800: http://www.eggcartons.com/cat23_1.htm

I've hit a number of sites like that but it's not the one I'm looking for --
these are mostly angled towards farmers and the industry. The one I'm
looking for is more like a Tupperware style container.

Thanks for the thought though!

Brian Huntley

"JNJ" > wrote in message >...
> > Googling with merely using plastic+egg+cartons comes up with this site
> > as a first of 21,800: http://www.eggcartons.com/cat23_1.htm

> I've hit a number of sites like that but it's not the one I'm looking for --
> these are mostly angled towards farmers and the industry. The one I'm
> looking for is more like a Tupperware style container.
>
> Thanks for the thought though!

Like this? http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/sto...oductID=269757

They sell them in *mart stores, in the camping section.
JNJ

> Like this?

http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/sto...oductID=269757

> They sell them in *mart stores, in the camping section.

That's pretty close, yes. The one we want is kind of an opaque/clear (a la
Tupperware). I hadn't thought of looking in the camping/sports supply
sections. Thanks for the tip!

CM Bellers

This one time at band camp, PENMART01 > wrote:

>>Butter compartments are in fact very useful.

> For what... probably where you store your rectal/vaginal suppositories.

I think someone needs a nap. Be nice.

--
CM Bellers

To email, remove your pants and have at it.
CM Bellers

This one time at band camp, PENMART01 > wrote:

>>Butter compartments are in fact very useful.

> For what... probably where you store your rectal/vaginal suppositories.

I think someone needs a nap. Be nice.

--
CM Bellers

To email, remove your pants and have at it.
CM Bellers

This one time at band camp, PENMART01 > wrote:
>> "JNJ" oopsies:
>>
>>We use our butter compartment for our butter of course, but it's also a good
>>place to put a partial sliced onion.

> Idiot.

Jesus, you do need a nap.

--

CM Bellers

To email, remove your pants and have at it.
CM Bellers

This one time at band camp, PENMART01 > wrote:
>> "JNJ" oopsies:
>>
>>We use our butter compartment for our butter of course, but it's also a good
>>place to put a partial sliced onion.

> Idiot.

Jesus, you do need a nap.

--

CM Bellers

To email, remove your pants and have at it.
jacqui{JB}

"CM Bellers" > wrote in message
m...

> This one time at band camp, PENMART01
> > wrote:
> > Idiot.

> Jesus, you do need a nap.

Killfiles are your friend. In this particular case, the good -- and
there *are* some good things -- does not outweight the regular and
unnecessary nastiness. Your time is not well-spent bitching about it,
and you'll probably find rfc a much more pleasant place if you
killfile and move on.

-j

jacqui{JB}

m...