Michael Horowitz

Default Get back your energy foods?

I had a week of some GI virus, two weeks feeling better, and the last
week devoted to a cold. My appetite is good, but I need to bring my
strength up. I can do some shopping later today.
Anyone got suggestions for 'get back the energy' meals? - Mike
Siobhan Perricone

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 07:52:55 -0500, Michael Horowitz <Michael Horowitz
>> wrote:

>I had a week of some GI virus, two weeks feeling better, and the last
>week devoted to a cold. My appetite is good, but I need to bring my
>strength up. I can do some shopping later today.
>Anyone got suggestions for 'get back the energy' meals? - Mike

My old stand by here is garlic chicken soup, maybe with matzo balls
floating in it (or dumplings, I prefer dumplings to noodles). Garlic is
supposed to be good for boosting your immune system, though I can't say it
does that for sure, it sure makes the soup nice.

Everything is to taste in this but the ingredients are important for it to
have the restorative properties you're looking for.

chicken
(I usually cut it up into chunks before cooking it in the broth, instead of
cooking it whole then chopping it up)
broth
(I make mine with either Mrs. Grass chicken noodle soup mix sans noodles,
or redi-base chicken base, but that's just because I can't be arsed to make
my own broth most of the time)
potatoes
(nice waxy potatoes are best in this, yukon golds are very flavourful but
long whites are good too, I'm not as fond of the baby reds)
onions, coarsely chopped
garlic, at least 10 cloves, minced
fresh parsley
(important for the vitamins it imparts to the soup)
celery, finely chopped
carrots, finely chopped
scallions, chopped

optional: matzo balls or dumplings

I put everything but the chicken and the scallions into a giant pot of
broth and let it cook until the potatoes are starting to get soft. Then I
put in the chicken and let that cook thoroughly for a while. After it's
ready I'll toss in matzo balls or dumplings and let them cook. Then when I
serve it I sprinkle the chopped scallions over the soup.

This is a really hearty, rich, tasty soup that is comforting and still
gives me a lot of energy.

--
Siobhan Perricone
Humans wrote the bible,
Hahabogus

Siobhan Perricone > wrote in
:

> On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 07:52:55 -0500, Michael Horowitz <Michael
> Horowitz >> wrote:
>
> >I had a week of some GI virus, two weeks feeling better, and the
> >last week devoted to a cold. My appetite is good, but I need to
> >bring my strength up. I can do some shopping later today.
> >Anyone got suggestions for 'get back the energy' meals? - Mike

> My old stand by here is garlic chicken soup, maybe with matzo balls
> floating in it (or dumplings, I prefer dumplings to noodles). Garlic
> is supposed to be good for boosting your immune system, though I
> can't say it does that for sure, it sure makes the soup nice.
>
> Everything is to taste in this but the ingredients are important for
> it to have the restorative properties you're looking for.
>
> chicken
> (I usually cut it up into chunks before cooking it in the broth,
> instead of cooking it whole then chopping it up)
> broth
> (I make mine with either Mrs. Grass chicken noodle soup mix sans
> noodles, or redi-base chicken base, but that's just because I can't
> be arsed to make my own broth most of the time)
> potatoes
> (nice waxy potatoes are best in this, yukon golds are very
> flavourful but long whites are good too, I'm not as fond of the baby
> reds) onions, coarsely chopped
> garlic, at least 10 cloves, minced
> fresh parsley
> (important for the vitamins it imparts to the soup)
> celery, finely chopped
> carrots, finely chopped
> scallions, chopped
>
> optional: matzo balls or dumplings
>
> I put everything but the chicken and the scallions into a giant pot
> of broth and let it cook until the potatoes are starting to get
> soft. Then I put in the chicken and let that cook thoroughly for a
> while. After it's ready I'll toss in matzo balls or dumplings and
> let them cook. Then when I serve it I sprinkle the chopped scallions
> over the soup.
>
> This is a really hearty, rich, tasty soup that is comforting and
> still gives me a lot of energy.

What she said except I chuck in one bunch of bruised lemon grass, a
parsnip, 2 forked lemons, a halved large onion with skin and a large lump
of peeled fresh Ginger (sliced up thin) into the broth and let that
simmer a while (then discard) before adding anything else. Adds flavour
and freshens up prepared/canned chicken stock. Also I like to add some
Readibase turkey base to my chicken stocks...

Crockpots are very handy for this sort of thing. So are pasta pots (the
liner can strain out the added flavour improvers)

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban
Dimitri

wrote in message ...
>I had a week of some GI virus, two weeks feeling better, and the last
> week devoted to a cold. My appetite is good, but I need to bring my
> strength up. I can do some shopping later today.
> Anyone got suggestions for 'get back the energy' meals? - Mike

I think the only advise is to follow your well, desires, cravings, tastes.
I think after all is said and done the body will let you know what it wants.
i.e. if you "just" have to have some grapes - follow that impulse.

Oh yes, if you don't start taking a multivitamin for a while.

Dimitri

Gal Called J.J.

One time on Usenet, "Dimitri" > said:

> "Michael Horowitz >" <Michael Horowitz >
> wrote in message ...
> >I had a week of some GI virus, two weeks feeling better, and the last
> > week devoted to a cold. My appetite is good, but I need to bring my
> > strength up. I can do some shopping later today.
> > Anyone got suggestions for 'get back the energy' meals? - Mike

> I think the only advise is to follow your well, desires, cravings, tastes.
> I think after all is said and done the body will let you know what it wants.
> i.e. if you "just" have to have some grapes - follow that impulse.
>
> Oh yes, if you don't start taking a multivitamin for a while.

I agree with Dimitri, and I'm glad you're feeling better, Mike...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"You still haven't explained why the pool is

aem

Michael Horowitz wrote:
> I had a week of some GI virus, two weeks feeling better, and the

last
> week devoted to a cold. My appetite is good, but I need to bring my
> strength up. I can do some shopping later today.
> Anyone got suggestions for 'get back the energy' meals? - Mike

Breakfast: a big bowl of oatmeal with a banana sliced into it, lots of
brown sugar, and some half 'n half or evaporated milk. Glass of
grapefruit juice. Raisin toast.

Lunch: huevos rancheros, extra spicy. Fresh peach on the side.

Dinner: go out somewhere you can dance.

-aem

Dave Smith

"Michael Horowitz

> I had a week of some GI virus, two weeks feeling better, and the last
> week devoted to a cold. My appetite is good, but I need to bring my
> strength up. I can do some shopping later today.
> Anyone got suggestions for 'get back the energy' meals? - Mike

First of all, get some Kefir. It's a fermented milk beverage that tastes
like yogurt with soda water. Don't sniff it because that might put you off
it, but is tastes much better than it smells. The fermentation process
eats all the lactose in the milk, and Kefir will help replenish that
natural bacterial flora. It's also a good thing to have after antibiotic
treatment.

zuuum

> > "Michael Horowitz >" <Michael Horowitz

> > wrote in message ...
> > >I had a week of some GI virus, two weeks feeling better, and the last
> > > week devoted to a cold.

"a cold?" There are many types of food-borne illness. The dramatic
wrenching stomach producing ones are the only times food is usually
suspected. But far more "fighting the flu bug" episodes could actually be
food-borne bacteria related.

Drink lots of liquids. Especially water.

Michael Horowitz

"aem" > wrote:

>Dinner: go out somewhere you can dance.
>
>-aem

I love your "wave you hands over your head" enthusiasm - Mike