Default Spatula

Heya,

Kind of an odd question -- but how exactly did the spatula get it's
name?

Regards,
Matt

WardNA

> how exactly did the spatula get it's
>name?

Looks like a Latin dimuative to me. Probably meant something like "miniature
shovel."

Neil
Damsel in dis Dress

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 19:41:40 -0500, Boron Elgar >
wrote:

>On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 17:54:23 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:
>
>>Totally irrelevant, but are you talking about the rubber scrapers, or the
>>pancake flippers?

>Still, your question makes perfect sense to me. One The Hub and I are
>cooking together and one asks the other to hand a spatula from the
>drawer, the other is likely to say, "You mean the pancake flipper or
>the other thingee?"

We go through the exact same thing here. The only thing they have in
common is that they both have handles.

Carol

Sheldon

WardNA wrote:
> > how exactly did the spatula get it's
> >name?

> Looks like a Latin dimuative to me. Probably meant something like

"miniature
> shovel."

Close.

"Oxford"

-ORIGIN late 18th cent.: via Latin from Greek spathe 'broad blade'.
---

Priscilla Ballou

In article >,
Boron Elgar > wrote:

> My sister's MIL used mistakenly to refer to this kitchen item as a
> "spatch-OLA." We refer to it that way most of time, too, at family
> gatherings. It doesn't take much to crack us up when we all get
> together to cook.
>
> Still, your question makes perfect sense to me. One The Hub and I are
> cooking together and one asks the other to hand a spatula from the
> drawer, the other is likely to say, "You mean the pancake flipper or
> the other thingee?"

In my family when I was growing up, neither a "pancake turner" (aka
"hamburger turner") nor a "rubber licker" was a "spatula." Those wide
flat knives without a cutting edge were called spatulas.

Priscilla

--
"It is very, very dangerous to treat any human, lowest
of the low even, with contempt and arrogant whatever.
Damsel in dis Dress

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 03:01:48 GMT, Priscilla Ballou >
wrote:

>In my family when I was growing up, neither a "pancake turner" (aka
>"hamburger turner") nor a "rubber licker" was a "spatula." Those wide
>flat knives without a cutting edge were called spatulas.

Damn! Come to think of it, I call all three of those spatulas. Pretty
soon, everything will be called spatulas, and no one will know what anyone
else is talking about, It'll be culinary anarchy.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Carol

Sheldon

Sheldon wrote:
> WardNA wrote:
> > > how exactly did the spatula get it's
> > >name?

> > Looks like a Latin dimuative to me. Probably meant something like

> "miniature
> > shovel."

> Close.
>
> "Oxford"
>
> -ORIGIN late 18th cent.: via Latin from Greek spathe 'broad blade'.
> ---

Hmm, how did I miss that... wouldn't a "broad blade" be a speculum?
hehe

Grismalkin

>Heya,
>
>Kind of an odd question -- but how exactly did the spatula get it's
>name?
>
>Regards,
>Matt

I don't know, but I knew a pharmacist who told me about when he first opened
his lab kit with his pharmacy partner in pharmacy school. They called that
thing a sp-TU-la.
Priscilla Ballou

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 03:01:48 GMT, Priscilla Ballou >
> wrote:
>
> >In my family when I was growing up, neither a "pancake turner" (aka
> >"hamburger turner") nor a "rubber licker" was a "spatula." Those wide
> >flat knives without a cutting edge were called spatulas.

> Damn! Come to think of it, I call all three of those spatulas. Pretty
> soon, everything will be called spatulas, and no one will know what anyone
> else is talking about, It'll be culinary anarchy.
>
> ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I sense the makings of a Monty Pythonesque skit here...

Priscilla