shipwreck

Default What's this black stuff on my spatula?

When I rub a spatula against the inside of my KitchenAid mixng bowl
(dry) this black stuff winds up on the rubber. It smells metalic.
It can't be the spatula. It happens on all 4 of them (different
spatulas).

What could this be? It happens when rubbed vigerously, but still, it
happens.

Thx
Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

NOTE: My Correct Address is in my signature (just remove the spaces).
On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 04:09:49 GMT, shipwreck >
wrote:

>When I rub a spatula against the inside of my KitchenAid mixng bowl
>(dry) this black stuff winds up on the rubber. It smells metalic.
>It can't be the spatula. It happens on all 4 of them (different
>spatulas).
>
>What could this be? It happens when rubbed vigerously, but still, it
>happens.

Sounds like left over residue - either on the bowl or the spatula -
that's having a chemical reaction with the materials of the bowl and
spatula.

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
<davidac AT jdc DOT org DOT il>
Chef Riggy

Maybe a little off the immediate topic, but I got a red-handled
RubberMaid(r) Hi-Temp rubber spat not too long ago and kept in in my
Messermeister Attache knife kit in the trunk if my car (for work), and it
attracted high volumes of FIRE ANTS! The seemed to chew off bits of the
rubber, leaving a fine, powdery residue of the rubber all inside my case,
not to mention them being all up in there! WTF is up with THAT? They made
the edges of the NEW spat all rough, as though ground against a hi-speed
wire-brush bench grinder!

"Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady" > wrote in
message ...
> NOTE: My Correct Address is in my signature (just remove the spaces).
> On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 04:09:49 GMT, shipwreck >
> wrote:
>
> >When I rub a spatula against the inside of my KitchenAid mixng bowl
> >(dry) this black stuff winds up on the rubber. It smells metalic.
> >It can't be the spatula. It happens on all 4 of them (different
> >spatulas).
> >
> >What could this be? It happens when rubbed vigerously, but still, it
> >happens.
> >

> Sounds like left over residue - either on the bowl or the spatula -
> that's having a chemical reaction with the materials of the bowl and
> spatula.
>

> --
> Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
> <davidac AT jdc DOT org DOT il>
> ~*~*~*~*~*~
> "What you see before you, my friend, is the result of a lifetime of
> chocolate."
> --Katharine Hepburn (May 12, 1907 - June 29, 2003)
> ~*~*~*~*~*~

Peggy

Maybe it's your bowl. Is your bowl old? Have you tried a different bowl?
Peggy

"shipwreck" > wrote in message
> When I rub a spatula against the inside of my KitchenAid mixng bowl
> (dry) this black stuff winds up on the rubber. It smells metalic.
> It can't be the spatula. It happens on all 4 of them (different
> spatulas).
>
> What could this be? It happens when rubbed vigerously, but still, it
> happens.
>
> Thx

shipwreck

I called KA today and they said that they polish the bowls and that's
what's probably coming off. I used some BonAmi and elbow grease
twice. yeah, the bowl is nice and shinney, but the black stuff is
still there.

Strangest thing.

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 05:22:44 -0900, "Peggy" >
wrote:

>Maybe it's your bowl. Is your bowl old? Have you tried a different bowl?
>Peggy
>
>"shipwreck" > wrote in message
.. .
>> When I rub a spatula against the inside of my KitchenAid mixng bowl
>> (dry) this black stuff winds up on the rubber. It smells metalic.
>> It can't be the spatula. It happens on all 4 of them (different
>> spatulas).
>>
>> What could this be? It happens when rubbed vigerously, but still, it
>> happens.
>>
>> Thx

Brian Macke

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 18:58:38 +0000, shipwreck wrote:

> I called KA today and they said that they polish the bowls and that's
> what's probably coming off. I used some BonAmi and elbow grease twice.
> yeah, the bowl is nice and shinney, but the black stuff is still there.

This is tickling something way back in the far reaches of my brain. I
remember reading this fascinating article about a person cutting an orange
with a plastic knife. The result was this molten black residue that looked
like something out of a bad horror film.

If my memory is still intact, it had to do with the type of plastic used
in the knife interacting with an oil on the skin of the orange. The
residue was "safe" but the article suggested that you should just stick to
metal knives when cutting oranges.

Sadly Google is useless because "orange" and "black" are just too vague.

--
-Brian James Macke
"In order to get that which you wish for, you must first get that which

alexbrown77

I agree that it sounds like something left over on the bowl. Certain
foods, like acidic vegetables overtime will have chemical reactions
with metal and can cause problems. I would make sure that bowl is very
clean. Why are you using a spatula with nothing in a bowl?
shipwreck

I was demonstrating how to fold egg whites in an empty bowl. Then I
looked at the spatula and it was black! KA says it's the polish.