Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Carrot Cake Recipe

For notbob.

This is an old recipe, probably originally from Dole but I got it from
*my* friend Maria Pia.

Maria Pia's Carrot Cake

2C flour
2C sugar
3 eggs
1C oil
1 small can (8 oz) crushed pineapple
(or ½ C applesauce if you don't like pineapple)
1t baking soda
2t cinnamon
1t salt
2t vanilla
2C shredded (raw) carrots
2C chopped walnuts
1C raisins
1C coconut

Mix all ingredients together and pour into a greased and floured
rectangular cake pan.

Bake at 350° for 55 minutes.

Frosting

4T soft butter
one 8 oz. package cream cheese (softened)
3C sifted powdered sugar
1t vanilla
1/2t lemon juice (optional)

Using a hand held beater, blend the butter and cream cheese.
Gradually add the powdered sugar, beating until smooth and creamy.
Stir in the vanilla and lemon juice.

Frost cake.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
sf > posted:

> 2C shredded (raw) carrots
> 2C chopped walnuts
> 1C raisins
> 1C coconut
>
> Mix all ingredients together and pour into a greased and floured
> rectangular cake pan.

Shredded carrots. I once made a carrot cake, but instead of using
shredded carrots, I used the carrot "pulp" that remained after I ran some
carrots through a juice extractor to make carrot juice. It was such a
fine texture that the cake was smoother and didn't have the chunky
carrotness that is in most carrot cakes. I didn't put raisins or coconut
in my carrot cake, but I have put chunks of coconut through a juice
extractor to make coconut milk. It worked quite well, too, and the
resulting coconut was also a fine, snowy texture that was pleasant to eat.
Only hard part is actually "peeling" the coconut. It was my first
one, and I probably did something wrong. Hehe.

> Using a hand held beater, blend the butter and cream cheese.
> Gradually add the powdered sugar, beating until smooth and creamy.
> Stir in the vanilla and lemon juice.

Hand-held beater? A stand mixer with an attachment works just as well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 08:53:15 -0500, Damaeus
> wrote:

>sf > posted:

>> Using a hand held beater, blend the butter and cream cheese.
>> Gradually add the powdered sugar, beating until smooth and creamy.
>> Stir in the vanilla and lemon juice.

>Hand-held beater? A stand mixer with an attachment works just as well.

Or you can use a wooden spoon and some elbow grease.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sounds good. What size pan, sf? 13x9 OK?

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> For notbob.
>
> This is an old recipe, probably originally from Dole but I got it from
> *my* friend Maria Pia.
>

> Maria Pia's Carrot Cake
>
> 2C flour
> 2C sugar
> 3 eggs
> 1C oil
> 1 small can (8 oz) crushed pineapple
> (or ½ C applesauce if you don't like pineapple)
> 1t baking soda
> 2t cinnamon
> 1t salt
> 2t vanilla
> 2C shredded (raw) carrots
> 2C chopped walnuts
> 1C raisins
> 1C coconut
>
> Mix all ingredients together and pour into a greased and floured
> rectangular cake pan.
>
> Bake at 350° for 55 minutes.
>
> Frosting
>
> 4T soft butter
> one 8 oz. package cream cheese (softened)
> 3C sifted powdered sugar
> 1t vanilla
> 1/2t lemon juice (optional)
>
> Using a hand held beater, blend the butter and cream cheese.
> Gradually add the powdered sugar, beating until smooth and creamy.
> Stir in the vanilla and lemon juice.
>
> Frost cake.

Thanks, I've saved this. This one sounds so original and it is what I am
always looking for, but never seem to find. I'm assuming a 13x9 pan?
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 10:16:04 -0400, "Dora" > wrote:

>Sounds good. What size pan, sf? 13x9 OK?

I use the metal cake pan which got put somewhere it shouldn't be after
the kitchen remodel, so I can't measure it for you. 9x13 seems too
small, but it was a standard size so that's probably right anyway.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 08:31:00 -0600, "Janet Bostwick"
> wrote:

>I'm assuming a 13x9 pan?

Not smaller! I can't find the pan I usually use to measure, sorry.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 10:16:04 -0400, "Dora" >
> wrote:
>>
>> Sounds good. What size pan, sf? 13x9 OK?
>>

> I use the metal cake pan which got put somewhere it shouldn't be
> after
> the kitchen remodel, so I can't measure it for you. 9x13 seems too
> small, but it was a standard size so that's probably right anyway.

That's what I wondered. A lot of ingredients for a 13x9 pan. If it
rises over the side, I'll just say the devil made me do it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 10:39:32 -0400, "Dora" > wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 10:16:04 -0400, "Dora" >
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sounds good. What size pan, sf? 13x9 OK?
>>>

>> I use the metal cake pan which got put somewhere it shouldn't be
>> after
>> the kitchen remodel, so I can't measure it for you. 9x13 seems too
>> small, but it was a standard size so that's probably right anyway.

>That's what I wondered. A lot of ingredients for a 13x9 pan. If it
>rises over the side, I'll just say the devil made me do it.

What I didn't include is this

"or 3 well buttered and floured 8 inch round cake pans"

If you have a round 8 inch pan, you could measure that way.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> For notbob.
>
> This is an old recipe, probably originally from Dole but I got it from
> *my* friend Maria Pia.
>

> Maria Pia's Carrot Cake

<snip>

I'm so confused. Or maybe just old. I thought Maria Pia was Anne
Bourget's friend? Is this more rfc lore? Or have too many of my brain
cells suffered an ignominious death?

Help meeeeeeeeeeee, sf....

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
sf > posted:

> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 08:53:15 -0500, Damaeus
> > wrote:
>
> >sf > posted:

> >> Using a hand held beater, blend the butter and cream cheese.
> >> Gradually add the powdered sugar, beating until smooth and creamy.
> >> Stir in the vanilla and lemon juice.

> >Hand-held beater? A stand mixer with an attachment works just as well.

> Or you can use a wooden spoon and some elbow grease.

I have no problem using mechanical devices to ensure even mixing of
ingredients like icing. I think these goons who think frosting, meatloaf,
or various types of dough are somehow better when mixed by hand are full
of shit. I'm not saying they're any worse when mixed by hand, but I see
no problem using a $300 stand mixer. We got it to use, not to look at
while we use our hands. Plus, I don't care how well-washed my hands are.
I'd rather know that I'm eating something that hasn't had "human hands"
run over and around every square millimeter of it. When I want to mix up
meat loaf, since I think both raw eggs and raw meat are disgusting to see
coating my hands, I use a stand mixer. I figure actually forming the
meatballs is enough of my hands rooting around in the meat mixture.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 13:54:26 -0500, Damaeus
> wrote:

>Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
>sf > posted:
>
>> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 08:53:15 -0500, Damaeus
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >sf > posted:

>> >Hand-held beater? A stand mixer with an attachment works just as well.

>> Or you can use a wooden spoon and some elbow grease.

>I have no problem using mechanical devices to ensure even mixing of
>ingredients like icing. I think these goons who think frosting, meatloaf,
>or various types of dough are somehow better when mixed by hand are full
>of shit. I'm not saying they're any worse when mixed by hand, but I see
>no problem using a $300 stand mixer. We got it to use, not to look at
>while we use our hands. Plus, I don't care how well-washed my hands are.
>I'd rather know that I'm eating something that hasn't had "human hands"
>run over and around every square millimeter of it. When I want to mix up
>meat loaf, since I think both raw eggs and raw meat are disgusting to see
>coating my hands, I use a stand mixer. I figure actually forming the
>meatballs is enough of my hands rooting around in the meat mixture.
>
>Damaeus

The human hand is the most important kitchen tool, no tool or machine
can knead dough or mix meat loaf better... what do you do if ever
presented with having to bone a chicken... faint! You can't look at
raw food, you must be a lousy lay.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Or you can use a wooden spoon and some elbow grease.

Wouldn't butter taste better? (Just sayin'.)

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 14:05:45 -0600, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>

>> Or you can use a wooden spoon and some elbow grease.
>>

>Wouldn't butter taste better? (Just sayin'.)

elbow butter?
<looking innocent>

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 09:24:31 -0700, TammyM > wrote:

>I'm so confused. Or maybe just old. I thought Maria Pia was Anne
>Bourget's friend? Is this more rfc lore? Or have too many of my brain
>cells suffered an ignominious death?
>
>Help meeeeeeeeeeee, sf....

Here's the scoop Tammy.... Maria Pia is a common Italian name and the
cake recipe is from *my* friend Maria Pia. I added her name to the
title so I could join the rfc Maria Pia club. Confusing you was just
a side benefit. LOL!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 09:24:31 -0700, TammyM > wrote:
>
>> I'm so confused. Or maybe just old. I thought Maria Pia was Anne
>> Bourget's friend? Is this more rfc lore? Or have too many of my brain
>> cells suffered an ignominious death?
>>
>> Help meeeeeeeeeeee, sf....

> Here's the scoop Tammy.... Maria Pia is a common Italian name and the
> cake recipe is from *my* friend Maria Pia. I added her name to the
> title so I could join the rfc Maria Pia club. Confusing you was just
> a side benefit. LOL!

LOL! good on ya!

TammyM (feeling dense. Again. <shaddup deRanger>)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-10-27, sf > wrote:

> 1 small can (8 oz) crushed pineapple
> (or ½ C applesauce if you don't like pineapple)

> 2C shredded (raw) carrots
> 2C chopped walnuts
> 1C raisins
> 1C coconut

Wow! That sounds killer, sf. I wasn't expecting the pineapple or
coconut, but seems like it would make for a moister cake. I love
coconut, but might cut that in half. Walnuts and raisin fer sure.
Definitely a keeper. Thnx.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
brooklyn1 > posted:

> The human hand is the most important kitchen tool, no tool or machine
> can knead dough or mix meat loaf better...

Well, I disagree thoroughly. Hands might get the dough kneaded in time,
but I've never had a problem with any dough I've kneaed with the
Kitchen-Aid. Besides, after it has become a lump of dough, I don't have
as big of a problem handling it for some extra kneading at the end, if
necessary.

> what do you do if ever presented with having to bone a chicken...

I've never boned a chicken, nor have I ever messed with a whole chicken
that has all its organs intact. The closest I've come is washing and
preparing cornish game hens for Thanksgiving that had already been
hollowed out. I washed them, then stuffed them full of dressing for the
oven.

> faint! You can't look at raw food, you must be a lousy lay.

I can look at raw meat. I just don't like to touch it any more than
necessary to get it into its cooking position. Watching Julia Child go
after a cut of meat was like watching Friday the 13th.

Damaeus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 21:45:50 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2009-10-27, sf > wrote:
>
>> 1 small can (8 oz) crushed pineapple
>> (or ½ C applesauce if you don't like pineapple)

>> 2C shredded (raw) carrots
>> 2C chopped walnuts
>> 1C raisins
>> 1C coconut

>Wow! That sounds killer, sf. I wasn't expecting the pineapple or
>coconut, but seems like it would make for a moister cake. I love
>coconut, but might cut that in half. Walnuts and raisin fer sure.
>Definitely a keeper. Thnx.

You're welcome nb!

I've been thinking about that rectangular cake pan. It was probably
9x13, but it was an old fashioned metal cake pan so it was deeper than
Pyrex and made a nice deep cake. Wish I knew where it was put. I
have to look for it downstairs now.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 19:17:47 -0700, sf > wrote:

>I've been thinking about that rectangular cake pan. It was probably
>9x13, but it was an old fashioned metal cake pan so it was deeper than
>Pyrex and made a nice deep cake. Wish I knew where it was put. I
>have to look for it downstairs now.

I am bringing one like that with me to the bay area. I had been
looking for something like that. I think I got mine at Surfas in the
Los Angeles area.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-10-28, Christine Dabney > wrote:

> I am bringing one like that with me to the bay area. I had been
> looking for something like that. I think I got mine at Surfas in the
> Los Angeles area.

Surprisingly, Walmart sells the Farberware line and they are killer.
I've bought a 9"x9" and a 9"x13", non-stick or low-stick, and they're
great. Clean up nicely, even heating, and aging well, despite abuse.
Who knew?

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 02:32:09 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>My metal 9 x 13 cake pan is 3-1/2" deep, probably deep enough.

That's plenty deep! Is it a lasagna pan?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 02:58:35 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>Surprisingly, Walmart sells the Farberware line and they are killer.
>I've bought a 9"x9" and a 9"x13", non-stick or low-stick, and they're
>great. Clean up nicely, even heating, and aging well, despite abuse.
>Who knew?

I wonder if Target carries that? I don't support Walmart.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 27, 2:54*pm, Damaeus > wrote:
> Reading from news:rec.food.cooking,
> sf > posted:
>
> > On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 08:53:15 -0500, Damaeus
> > > wrote:

> > >sf > posted:

> > >Hand-held beater? *A stand mixer with an attachment works just as well.

> > Or you can use a wooden spoon and some elbow grease.

> I have no problem using mechanical devices to ensure even mixing of
> ingredients like icing. *I think these goons who think frosting, meatloaf,
> or various types of dough are somehow better when mixed by hand are full
> of shit. *I'm not saying they're any worse when mixed by hand, but I see
> no problem using a $300 stand mixer. *We got it to use, not to look at
> while we use our hands. *

The stand mixer will overwork a meatloaf mix.

> Plus, I don't care how well-washed my hands are.
> I'd rather know that I'm eating something that hasn't had "human hands"
> run over and around every square millimeter of it. *

You probably don't want to think about where your raw ingredients come
from. Some of them have been in the ground, you know. Eggs come
out of a chicken's ass (although an anatomical trick keeps the egg
away
from the feces).

You're mighty prissy. Maybe you should cook with disposable gloves.

Cindy Hamilton