Nancree

Default Easy Homemade Mayonnaise

I've posted this before, but this method is so simple compared to others that
I've seen on RFC, I thought I'd post it again. I haven't bought mayo in years.
An immersible stick blender (Braun) makes it simple.

In a glass jar (I use a peanut butter jar) put, in this order:

one room-temperature egg ( I put mind in a cup of warm water while I gather
other ingredients)
1 scant teaspoon of *fresh* lime juice
1 scant teaspoon of dry mustard
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 scant cup canola oil
*Without* turning it on, put stick blender all the way to the bottom of the
jar. Then turn it on, rock is from side to side as you pull it to the top. You
will have instant, delicious mayonnaise.
You can also do this in a food processor but you will probably have more
failures. (add the oil slowly as you blend). For me, it is so worth it to buy
a stick blender (Braun brand is best).
Refrigerate, of course, and it keeps for several days.
Enjoy!

notbob

On 2005-01-28, Nancree > wrote:

> one room-temperature egg ( I put mind in a cup of warm water while I gather
> other ingredients)
> 1 scant teaspoon of *fresh* lime juice
> 1 scant teaspoon of dry mustard
> 3/4 teaspoon salt
> 1 scant cup canola oil

I'll give it a try, Nan, but what's with all the "scants"? Scan't I just
use regular measures?

nb
Damsel

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 01:36:57 -0600, notbob > wrote:

>On 2005-01-28, Nancree > wrote:
>
>> one room-temperature egg ( I put mind in a cup of warm water while I gather
>> other ingredients)
>> 1 scant teaspoon of *fresh* lime juice
>> 1 scant teaspoon of dry mustard
>> 3/4 teaspoon salt
>> 1 scant cup canola oil

>I'll give it a try, Nan, but what's with all the "scants"? Scan't I just
>use regular measures?

A scant teaspoon of dry mustard means you don't mound the mustard in the
measuring spoon. A scant teaspoon of lime juice means ..... wait, that's
not right. Hmmm. At least the recipe doesn't call for a scant egg.

Carol

Dee Randall

"Nancree" > wrote in message
> I've posted this before, but this method is so simple compared to others
> that
> I've seen on RFC, I thought I'd post it again. I haven't bought mayo in
> years.
> An immersible stick blender (Braun) makes it simple.
>
> In a glass jar (I use a peanut butter jar) put, in this order:
>
> one room-temperature egg ( I put mind in a cup of warm water while I
> gather
> other ingredients)
> 1 scant teaspoon of *fresh* lime juice
> 1 scant teaspoon of dry mustard
> 3/4 teaspoon salt
> 1 scant cup canola oil
> *Without* turning it on, put stick blender all the way to the bottom of
> the
> jar. Then turn it on, rock is from side to side as you pull it to the top.
> You
> will have instant, delicious mayonnaise.
> You can also do this in a food processor but you will probably have more
> failures. (add the oil slowly as you blend). For me, it is so worth it to
> buy
> a stick blender (Braun brand is best).
> Refrigerate, of course, and it keeps for several days.
> Enjoy!

Thanks for your mayo recipe. Eating an egg which is remotely uncooked
makes my stomach unsettled just to think about it. I've always wanted to
make my own mayo because it seems so simple to make. Has anyone used the
"pasteurized eggs" to make mayonnaise. I've not even seen in in grocery
stores, but on the food channels they talk about it as it is a common item.
Thanks.
Dee

Bob

Dee wrote:

> Has anyone used the "pasteurized eggs" to make mayonnaise. I've not
> even seen in in grocery stores, but on the food channels they talk
> about it as it is a common item.

Yes, and it was FANTASTIC! Unfortunately, my grocery store stopped carrying
pasteurized eggs back in September or October last year, so I haven't made
mayonnaise since. Didn't make eggnog over the holidays, either. :-(

I filled out one of those supermarket survey forms where you list items you
WISH the store carried, and actually got a phone call from a regional
representative for Safeway. In our conversation, she claimed that the store
would start carrying the eggs again, but they never did. They've never been
carried by any other stores in the area.

Bob

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 28 Jan 2005 12:36:57a, notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2005-01-28, Nancree > wrote:
>
>> one room-temperature egg ( I put mind in a cup of warm water while I
>> gather other ingredients)
>> 1 scant teaspoon of *fresh* lime juice
>> 1 scant teaspoon of dry mustard
>> 3/4 teaspoon salt
>> 1 scant cup canola oil

> I'll give it a try, Nan, but what's with all the "scants"? Scan't I
> just use regular measures?
>
> nb

Yeah, scants and I don't get along. I mean, what exactly constitutes a
"scant" of anything? How much do ou leave out? :-) Someone should
manufacturer an additional set of measuring spoons and cups that are "scant",
so there's no mistaking how much is needed.

Wayne
Dee Randall

"Bob" > wrote in message
> Dee wrote:
>
>> Has anyone used the "pasteurized eggs" to make mayonnaise. I've not
>> even seen in in grocery stores, but on the food channels they talk
>> about it as it is a common item.

> Yes, and it was FANTASTIC! Unfortunately, my grocery store stopped
> carrying pasteurized eggs back in September or October last year, so I
> haven't made mayonnaise since. Didn't make eggnog over the holidays,
> either. :-(
>
> I filled out one of those supermarket survey forms where you list items
> you WISH the store carried, and actually got a phone call from a regional
> representative for Safeway. In our conversation, she claimed that the
> store would start carrying the eggs again, but they never did. They've
> never been carried by any other stores in the area.
>
> Bob

I'm so sorry when this happens. Since you gave pasteurized eggs a good
recommendation, I will have to ask Martin's (which is a subsidiary, I think)
of the big Giants supermarket. I asked them to please put King Arthur flour
back on the shelves, and they did!!! When I see the manager bagging
groceries, I always thank him.

Still, pasteurized eggs! After they are pasteurized, they are still runny,
right? And they look just like a raw egg, right? I only tried the whites in
a container once and I barely made it to the bathroom.

To me, its like eating anchovies. I love the idea of it, will buy salted
ones and leave them in the refr. I will buy sardines and then throw them
out -- I don't know why I can't get past this.
Dee

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 28 Jan 2005 06:50:38a, Dee Randall wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Bob" > wrote in message
>> Dee wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone used the "pasteurized eggs" to make mayonnaise. I've not
>>> even seen in in grocery stores, but on the food channels they talk
>>> about it as it is a common item.

>> Yes, and it was FANTASTIC! Unfortunately, my grocery store stopped
>> carrying pasteurized eggs back in September or October last year, so I
>> haven't made mayonnaise since. Didn't make eggnog over the holidays,
>> either. :-(
>>
>> I filled out one of those supermarket survey forms where you list items
>> you WISH the store carried, and actually got a phone call from a
>> regional representative for Safeway. In our conversation, she claimed
>> that the store would start carrying the eggs again, but they never did.
>> They've never been carried by any other stores in the area.
>>
>> Bob

> I'm so sorry when this happens. Since you gave pasteurized eggs a good
> recommendation, I will have to ask Martin's (which is a subsidiary, I
> think) of the big Giants supermarket. I asked them to please put King
> Arthur flour back on the shelves, and they did!!! When I see the manager
> bagging groceries, I always thank him.
>
> Still, pasteurized eggs! After they are pasteurized, they are still
> runny, right? And they look just like a raw egg, right? I only tried
> the whites in a container once and I barely made it to the bathroom.
>
> To me, its like eating anchovies. I love the idea of it, will buy
> salted ones and leave them in the refr. I will buy sardines and then
> throw them out -- I don't know why I can't get past this.
> Dee

I understand that. Maybe it's the setting... When I was a kid I had a
favorite aunt who had four children, and she and my uncle both worked full
time. She had little spare time for me, but every so often she would set
aside some "special" time for me, gather up some special foods, and we'd
drive to the park or to the beach and sit and talk and eat. She would
often buy a can of smoked clams or smoked oysters and I, the 11 y.o.,
thought it was so exotic and scarfed them down along with good crakers and
cheeses. Nowadays, if I occasional buy a can, most of them get tossed out.

Wayne
Steve Calvin

Nancree wrote:

> *Without* turning it on, put stick blender all the way to the bottom of the
> jar.

Awwwww, that takes all of the fun out if it! Fire that sucker up on high
before submerging it! ;-)
--
Steve

Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.
Autograph your work with excellence.

Bob (this one)

Dee Randall wrote:

> "Bob" > wrote in message=20
>=20
>>Dee wrote:
>>

>>>Has anyone used the "pasteurized eggs" to make mayonnaise. I've not
>>>even seen in in grocery stores, but on the food channels they talk
>>>about it as it is a common item.

>>Yes, and it was FANTASTIC! Unfortunately, my grocery store stopped=20
>>carrying pasteurized eggs back in September or October last year, so I =

>>haven't made mayonnaise since. Didn't make eggnog over the holidays,=20
>>either. :-(
>>
>>I filled out one of those supermarket survey forms where you list items=

=20
>>you WISH the store carried, and actually got a phone call from a region=

al=20
>>representative for Safeway. In our conversation, she claimed that the=20
>>store would start carrying the eggs again, but they never did. They've=

=20
>>never been carried by any other stores in the area.
>>
>>Bob

>=20
>=20
> I'm so sorry when this happens. Since you gave pasteurized eggs a good=

=20
> recommendation, I will have to ask Martin's (which is a subsidiary, I t=

hink)=20
> of the big Giants supermarket. I asked them to please put King Arthur =

flour=20
> back on the shelves, and they did!!! When I see the manager bagging=20
> groceries, I always thank him.
>=20
> Still, pasteurized eggs! After they are pasteurized, they are still run=

ny,=20
> right? And they look just like a raw egg, right? =20

You can pasteurize eggs at home if you want to. They have to be heated=20
to 150=B0 in the top of a double boiler, and the few times I did it, I=20
added some lemon juice to help keep them liquid The tough part is that=20
if you heat them to 160=B0, they begin to thicken. It's gotta be=20
accurate. But it can be done. You'll want a thermometer with a tip=20
probe (like the Polder Alton Brown uses on tv, about $23). Most=20
quick-reads don't - they read along the probe over a couple inches and=20
give you a sort of average reading.

I wouldn't bother, though. Make the mayo and let it sit in the fridge=20
for a couple days. The low Ph and extremely low water activity will=20
likely kill any bacteria.

Pastorio

Dee Randall

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
Dee Randall wrote:

> "Bob" > wrote in message
>
>>Dee wrote:
>>

>>>Has anyone used the "pasteurized eggs" to make mayonnaise. I've not
>>>even seen in in grocery stores, but on the food channels they talk
>>>about it as it is a common item.

>>Yes, and it was FANTASTIC! Unfortunately, my grocery store stopped
>>carrying pasteurized eggs back in September or October last year, so I
>>haven't made mayonnaise since. Didn't make eggnog over the holidays,
>>either. :-(
>>
>>I filled out one of those supermarket survey forms where you list items
>>you WISH the store carried, and actually got a phone call from a regional
>>representative for Safeway. In our conversation, she claimed that the
>>store would start carrying the eggs again, but they never did. They've
>>never been carried by any other stores in the area.
>>
>>Bob

> I'm so sorry when this happens. Since you gave pasteurized eggs a good
> recommendation, I will have to ask Martin's (which is a subsidiary, I
> think) of the big Giants supermarket. I asked them to please put King
> Arthur flour back on the shelves, and they did!!! When I see the manager
> bagging groceries, I always thank him.
>
> Still, pasteurized eggs! After they are pasteurized, they are still runny,
> right? And they look just like a raw egg, right?

You can pasteurize eggs at home if you want to. They have to be heated
to 150° in the top of a double boiler, and the few times I did it, I
added some lemon juice to help keep them liquid The tough part is that
if you heat them to 160°, they begin to thicken. It's gotta be
accurate. But it can be done. You'll want a thermometer with a tip
probe (like the Polder Alton Brown uses on tv, about $23). Most
quick-reads don't - they read along the probe over a couple inches and
give you a sort of average reading.

I wouldn't bother, though. Make the mayo and let it sit in the fridge
for a couple days. The low Ph and extremely low water activity will
likely kill any bacteria.

Pastorio

Thanks, Pastorio,
I've looked at many sites after Googling "Alton Brown"+Polder. I've not
been able to decide which of the few thermometers that you are speaking
about. I'm interested. Just this morning after baking some bread, I kept 3
pocket thermometers out to measure the temperature of some dough. The lines
between each were so thin I could hardly tell what the temperature was, and
besides I DROPPED 2 out of 3 of them. Just sick of those stick
thermometers. Can you help look for the one you might be speaking of and
post the link. The ones I saw were "you stick into the roast," or you kept
it outside of the oven, or --- I just couldn't find one that would be
appropriate for measuring water, dough, baked bread, and the egg @ 150 you
were speaking about, that you might be talking about. Surely Alton Brown
uses it as an all-purpose probe?
Hoping you can help -- don't rush.
Thanks,
Dee

Vox Humana

"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message
> I've looked at many sites after Googling "Alton Brown"+Polder. I've not
> been able to decide which of the few thermometers that you are speaking
> about. I'm interested. Just this morning after baking some bread, I kept

3
> pocket thermometers out to measure the temperature of some dough. The

lines
> between each were so thin I could hardly tell what the temperature was,

and
> besides I DROPPED 2 out of 3 of them. Just sick of those stick
> thermometers. Can you help look for the one you might be speaking of and
> post the link. The ones I saw were "you stick into the roast," or you

kept
> it outside of the oven, or --- I just couldn't find one that would be
> appropriate for measuring water, dough, baked bread, and the egg @ 150 you
> were speaking about, that you might be talking about. Surely Alton Brown
> uses it as an all-purpose probe?
> Hoping you can help -- don't rush.
> Thanks,
> Dee

I picked up an electronic probe thermometer like the Polder that AB uses.
It was labeled "Accurite" and sold for $9.99 at my local Meijer store. It
measures from about 35F to 399F and seems to be accurate when I tested it
against two other thermometers and in boiling water. It is a no frills unit
without any timers or clock, but I don't need another clock or timer. It
has adjustable, pre-set temperature for most meat and a custom setting of
your choice. It has an alarm to alert you when the set temperature is
reached. Here is a link:
http://www.partshelf.com/acurite-00724.html

I have seen mentioned in Google searches that this product is available at
Wal-Mart for $10.00

Scott

In article >,
"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote:

> Has anyone used the "pasteurized eggs" to make mayonnaise. I've not
> even seen in in grocery stores, but on the food channels they talk
> about it as it is a common item. Thanks.

Yep, I've used it. Worked just fine.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
Scott

In article >,
"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote:

> I'm so sorry when this happens. Since you gave pasteurized eggs a good
> recommendation, I will have to ask Martin's (which is a subsidiary, I think)
> of the big Giants supermarket. I asked them to please put King Arthur flour
> back on the shelves, and they did!!! When I see the manager bagging
> groceries, I always thank him.

The things can be damn hard to find, depending upon where you live. Go
here to find a local retailer (maybe):

<http://www.safeeggs.com/markets/pavailability.html>

You can also order them straight from the company; unfortunately, the
shipping is the real dealbreaker:
5 dozen - $13.95 ($2.79/doz); shipping and handling $15

> Still, pasteurized eggs! After they are pasteurized, they are still runny,
> right? And they look just like a raw egg, right? I only tried the whites in
> a container once and I barely made it to the bathroom.

The whites are a bit thicker and have turned somewhat more opaque. I
think the yolks are a bit different, too, but I can't recall how. I used
a half dozen to make a chocolate mousse, and it was perfect. The eggs
were creamed with sugar, and the whites whipped to soft peaks.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>

Mrmiss2

>Mayonnaise
>From: Steve Calvin

>Nancree wrote:
>
>> *Without* turning it on, put stick blender all the way to the bottom of

>the
>> jar.

>Awwwww, that takes all of the fun out if it! Fire that sucker up on high
>before submerging it! ;-)
>--
>Steve

--------------------------
Well, that would be good for the complexion, and maybe rub a little in your
hair, too. <G>
Nancree
Bob

Scott wrote:

> The things can be damn hard to find, depending upon where you live. Go
> here to find a local retailer (maybe):
>
> <http://www.safeeggs.com/markets/pavailability.html>

I'm sad to say that the web site is wrong. It says that both Safeway and
Trader Joe's carry pasteurized eggs. I got all excited seeing that, and
called the number given for Safeway, only to be told that their line of
pasteurized eggs was discontinued last year. So then I drove to Trader
Joe's, only to find that they don't carry pasteurized eggs.

The search continues...

Bob

Scott

In article >,
"Bob" > wrote:

> I'm sad to say that the web site is wrong. It says that both Safeway and
> Trader Joe's carry pasteurized eggs. I got all excited seeing that, and
> called the number given for Safeway, only to be told that their line of
> pasteurized eggs was discontinued last year. So then I drove to Trader
> Joe's, only to find that they don't carry pasteurized eggs.

Where do you live? Apparently, Trader Joe's buying setup is divided into
(approximately) East and West Coasts:

West Coast (AZ, CA, NM, NV, OR, WA)
PO Box 5049
Monrovia, CA 91017

East Coast & Midwest
(CT, DE, IL, IN, MA, MD, MI, MO, NJ, NY, OH, PA, VA)
117 Kendrick Street, Suite 700
Needham, MA 02494

I called TJ's up a year or so ago, and at the time they said the West
Coast division was buying it, but the East Coast/Midwest wasn't.

I don't know what the situation with Safeway is.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Dee Randall"
<deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote:
(snip)
> Still, pasteurized eggs! After they are pasteurized, they are still
> runny, right? And they look just like a raw egg, right? I only tried
> the whites in a container once and I barely made it to the bathroom.

It's a very exacting process to pasteurize them in the shell. A local
company does it (or did) -- Michael's Foods, I think. I've not heard
anything about the yolks, but the whites are more difficult to beat to
peaks -- takes quite a bit longer. Yes, they look like a raw egg. Yes,
they are still runny.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Homemade mayonnaise pics added 1-29-05.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Bob (this one)"
> wrote:
> I wouldn't bother, though. Make the mayo and let it sit in the fridge
> for a couple days. The low Ph and extremely low water activity will
> likely kill any bacteria.
>
> Pastorio

I'm counting on you, Pasto. . . gack. . . .choke. . . gasp
(Made some an hour ago - pictures are posted.)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Homemade mayonnaise pics added 1-29-05.

Bob

Scott wrote:

> Where do you live? Apparently, Trader Joe's buying setup is divided into
> (approximately) East and West Coasts:
>
> West Coast (AZ, CA, NM, NV, OR, WA)
> PO Box 5049
> Monrovia, CA 91017
>
> East Coast & Midwest
> (CT, DE, IL, IN, MA, MD, MI, MO, NJ, NY, OH, PA, VA)
> 117 Kendrick Street, Suite 700
> Needham, MA 02494
>
> I called TJ's up a year or so ago, and at the time they said the West
> Coast division was buying it, but the East Coast/Midwest wasn't.

I live in California. I just called the Trader Joe's nearest me to inquire
further, and was told that they USED to carry pasteurized eggs, but don't
carry them any more.

Just like Safeway.

Bob

Scott

In article >,
"Bob" > wrote:

> I live in California. I just called the Trader Joe's nearest me to inquire
> further, and was told that they USED to carry pasteurized eggs, but don't
> carry them any more.

Are people just not buying the product? It seems that there are many
places that used to carry it but stopped.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
sf

On 28 Jan 2005 12:44:58 GMT, Wayne Boatwright >
wrote:

> Yeah, scants and I don't get along. I mean, what exactly constitutes a
> "scant" of anything? How much do you leave out? :-)

You're a seasoned cook, you should know these things! Scant
is "about" and not heaping, so do it to taste and if you
like more - put more. Be brave!

sf
sf

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 06:15:53 -0500, "Dee Randall"
<deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote:

> Eating an egg which is remotely uncooked
> makes my stomach unsettled just to think about it. I've always wanted to
> make my own mayo because it seems so simple to make.

I'm not an egg fan, but home made mayo (in my case - aioli)
is palatable. In fact, I LOVE it!

sf
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 29 Jan 2005 08:24:21p, sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 28 Jan 2005 12:44:58 GMT, Wayne Boatwright >
> wrote:
>
>> Yeah, scants and I don't get along. I mean, what exactly constitutes a
>> "scant" of anything? How much do you leave out? :-)

> You're a seasoned cook, you should know these things! Scant
> is "about" and not heaping, so do it to taste and if you
> like more - put more. Be brave!
>

> sf

Oh, I know, and I don't really have a problem with it. LOL! If I like the
taste of yeast, should I just put more? :-)

Wayne

notbob

On 2005-01-31, Arri London > wrote:

> That's the way I learnt it as well. A scant tablespoon is a bit less
> than a level tablespoon.

scant
adj. scant·er, scant·est

1. Barely sufficient: paid scant attention to the lecture.
2. Falling short of a specific measu a scant cup of sugar.
3. Inadequately supplied; short: We were scant of breath after the
lengthy climb.
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 30 Jan 2005 03:03:08p, Margaret Suran wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article >,
>> wrote:

>>>You're a seasoned cook, you should know these things! Scant
>>>is "about" and not heaping, so do it to taste and if you
>>>like more - put more. Be brave!
>>>

>>>sf

>> It could mean "about" but I've always known it to mean "a little less
>> than than."

> One of my old cook books had a glossary for such terms. "SCANT" is
> one a remember. It said "with no excess, exact" and gave as an
> example "a scant cup of flour", "A filled cup which has been leveled,
> so that there is exactly one cup left". It also showed how to even a
> measuring spoon, by passing the blade of a knife over the dry
> contents, so there was nothing extra left. The book is long gone and
> I don't even remember the name. ( It was one of those freebies
> that were given away in stores or could be requested by mail from the
> company.

That's very interesting, so by that definition it really means "exact",
which is how I always measure when following a recipe, especially for
baking.

Many of the recipes in my oldest cookbooks call for "scant" in their
measurements, but none include the word in their glossaries (if they have
one).

In the 1964 edition of Joy of Cooking they write, "All our recipes, in
turn, are based on level measurements, hedgers like 'heaping' or 'scant'
having been weeded out of our instructions years ago."

Cheers!
Wayne

sf

On 30 Jan 2005 05:42:36 GMT, Wayne Boatwright >
wrote:

> On Sat 29 Jan 2005 08:24:21p, sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > You're a seasoned cook, you should know these things! Scant
> > is "about" and not heaping, so do it to taste and if you
> > like more - put more. Be brave!
> >

> > sf

> Oh, I know, and I don't really have a problem with it. LOL! If I like the
> taste of yeast, should I just put more? :-)

A little more wouldn't hurt anything, but if you like the
taste of yeast, try flubbing one proof and using it as part
of the liquid in your bread.

sf
Arri London

notbob wrote:

> On 2005-01-31, Arri London > wrote:
>

> > That's the way I learnt it as well. A scant tablespoon is a bit less
> > than a level tablespoon.

> scant
> adj. scant·er, scant·est
>
> 1. Barely sufficient: paid scant attention to the lecture.
> 2. Falling short of a specific measu a scant cup of sugar.
> 3. Inadequately supplied; short: We were scant of breath after the
> lengthy climb.

Many of the recipes I've seen with 'scant' measures also contains
'level' measures. Clearly they aren't meant to be the same.