Melba's Jammin'

Default Curiosity question re barley

Where would YOU stock it in a supermarket?
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Trip Report and pics added 1-13-05
"I read recipes the way I read science fiction: I get to the end and say,
Bob (this one)

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Where would YOU stock it in a supermarket?

Between the John and the corn.

HTH

Pastorio

-L.

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Where would YOU stock it in a supermarket?
> --

With the dried beans, lentils, chickpeas, etc.

-L.

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 14 Jan 2005 11:39:16p, Melba's Jammin' tittered and giggled, and
giggled and tittered, and finally blurted out...

> Where would YOU stock it in a supermarket?

Near the rice.

Wayne

Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Where would YOU stock it in a supermarket?

I looked high and low for it near the rice (thanks, Wayne). They put it
near the soups. Dumb, IMNSHO.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> More on 1-4-05 - Chicken Tortilla
Soup, and Swiss Steak.

Melba's Jammin'

In article .com>,
"-L." > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > Where would YOU stock it in a supermarket?
> > --

> With the dried beans, lentils, chickpeas, etc.
>
> -L.

Me, too.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> More on 1-4-05 - Chicken Tortilla
Soup, and Swiss Steak.
"Are we going to measure or are we going to cook?" -Food writer
Mimi Sheraton
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Bob (this one)"
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > Where would YOU stock it in a supermarket?

> Between the John and the corn.
>
> HTH
>
> Pastorio

You are SUCH a wag! (Took me a while to figure it out, too -- I'm
sliing -- and what are YOU doing up so late?)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> More on 1-4-05 - Chicken Tortilla
Soup, and Swiss Steak.
"Are we going to measure or are we going to cook?" -Food writer
Mimi Sheraton
JimLane

Bob (this one) wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> Where would YOU stock it in a supermarket?

> Between the John and the corn.
>
> HTH
>
> Pastorio

ROTF. . .

jim
JimLane

Bob (this one) wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> Where would YOU stock it in a supermarket?

> Between the John and the corn.
>
> HTH
>
> Pastorio

ROTF. . .

jim
jmcquown

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Where would YOU stock it in a supermarket?

Next to the dried beans and lentils.

Jill

jmcquown

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Where would YOU stock it in a supermarket?

Next to the dried beans and lentils.

Jill

Cryambers

"jmcquown" > wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> Where would YOU stock it in a supermarket?

>Next to the dried beans and lentils.

That's where I would put it, too, but I think most supermarkets put it with the
cereal. Wherever it is that they put it, I always have a terrible time finding
it. I don't buy it often enough to remember where it's stocked.

pat

Cryambers

"jmcquown" > wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> Where would YOU stock it in a supermarket?

>Next to the dried beans and lentils.

That's where I would put it, too, but I think most supermarkets put it with the
cereal. Wherever it is that they put it, I always have a terrible time finding
it. I don't buy it often enough to remember where it's stocked.

pat

Biff

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in message >...
> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> > Where would YOU stock it in a supermarket?

> I looked high and low for it near the rice (thanks, Wayne). They put it
> near the soups. Dumb, IMNSHO.

Barley should be by the beer.

Biff
Give me a barley sandwich!
BOB

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Where would YOU stock it in a supermarket?
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Trip Report and pics
> added 1-13-05 "I read recipes the way I read science
> fiction: I get to the end and say, 'Well, that's not
> going to happen.'" - Comedian Rita Rudner, performance
> at New York, New York, January 10, 2005.

I guess if I was stocking the shelves of a store, I'd put it in a
different place each time I stocked the shelves. That seems to be what
they do around here.

BUT, it should be with the dried things like beans or the rice.

Dave Smith

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Where would YOU stock it in a supermarket?

I would put it beside the rice one time, and the next time I would put it with
the lentils and dried beans.

Kswck

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Where would YOU stock it in a supermarket?
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Trip Report and pics added 1-13-05
> "I read recipes the way I read science fiction: I get to the end and say,
> 'Well, that's not going to happen.'" - Comedian Rita Rudner, performance
> at New York, New York, January 10, 2005.

Near the rice and/or dried beans.

Kswck

"Biff" > wrote in message
om...
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>> > Where would YOU stock it in a supermarket?

>> I looked high and low for it near the rice (thanks, Wayne). They put it
>> near the soups. Dumb, IMNSHO.

> Barley should be by the beer.
>
> Biff
> Give me a barley sandwich!

No-IN the beer

Kswck

"Biff" > wrote in message
om...
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>> > Where would YOU stock it in a supermarket?

>> I looked high and low for it near the rice (thanks, Wayne). They put it
>> near the soups. Dumb, IMNSHO.

> Barley should be by the beer.
>
> Biff
> Give me a barley sandwich!

No-IN the beer

Goomba38

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>

>>Where would YOU stock it in a supermarket?

> I looked high and low for it near the rice (thanks, Wayne). They put it
> near the soups. Dumb, IMNSHO.

Who adds uncooked barley to canned soups!?
Obviously the market was stocked by people who
don't know food/cooking?
Goomba

jmcquown

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Where would YOU stock it in a supermarket?

This reminds me of the time I was trying to find flour tortillas for a
"tex-mex" pot luck at the office. I searched high and low for flour
tortillas to make quesadillas. Were they on the "Mexican" aisle or with the
"ethnic" foods? Nope. Were they in the cold case by the cheese and eggs?
Nope. I found them with the bread. Okay, bread... tortillas; I suppose it
makes sense, kinda.

Jill

jmcquown

Cryambers wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>> Where would YOU stock it in a supermarket?

>> Next to the dried beans and lentils.

> That's where I would put it, too, but I think most supermarkets put
> it with the cereal. Wherever it is that they put it, I always have a
> terrible time finding it. I don't buy it often enough to remember
> where it's stocked.
>
> pat

It makes a nice pilaf and is a welcome addition to beef or lamb soup I
would never think of looking for it where the cereal is. It's barley, not
oats!

Jill

Dave Smith

jmcquown wrote:

> This reminds me of the time I was trying to find flour tortillas for a
> "tex-mex" pot luck at the office. I searched high and low for flour
> tortillas to make quesadillas. Were they on the "Mexican" aisle or with the
> "ethnic" foods? Nope. Were they in the cold case by the cheese and eggs?
> Nope. I found them with the bread. Okay, bread... tortillas; I suppose it
> makes sense, kinda.

The three grocery stores where I do most of my shopping keep their tortillas in
different places. One has them at the end of the in store bakery, right next to
the fish counter. One has them at the end of the frozen vegetable aisle, and the
third has them at the end of the bread section, which is separate from the in
store bakery.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > Where would YOU stock it in a supermarket?

> This reminds me of the time I was trying to find flour tortillas for
> a "tex-mex" pot luck at the office. I searched high and low for
> flour tortillas to make quesadillas. Were they on the "Mexican"
> aisle or with the "ethnic" foods? Nope. Were they in the cold case
> by the cheese and eggs? Nope. I found them with the bread. Okay,
> bread... tortillas; I suppose it makes sense, kinda.

> Jill

My store keeps them in two or three places. Not with the bread, though.
Go figure.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> More on 1-4-05 - Chicken Tortilla
Soup, and Swiss Steak.
"Are we going to measure or are we going to cook?" -Food writer
Mimi Sheraton
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > Where would YOU stock it in a supermarket?

> This reminds me of the time I was trying to find flour tortillas for
> a "tex-mex" pot luck at the office. I searched high and low for
> flour tortillas to make quesadillas. Were they on the "Mexican"
> aisle or with the "ethnic" foods? Nope. Were they in the cold case
> by the cheese and eggs? Nope. I found them with the bread. Okay,
> bread... tortillas; I suppose it makes sense, kinda.

> Jill

My store keeps them in two or three places. Not with the bread, though.
Go figure.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> More on 1-4-05 - Chicken Tortilla
Soup, and Swiss Steak.
"Are we going to measure or are we going to cook?" -Food writer
Mimi Sheraton

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

> Cryambers wrote:

> >> Next to the dried beans and lentils.

> > That's where I would put it, too, but I think most supermarkets put
> > it with the cereal. Wherever it is that they put it, I always have a
> > terrible time finding it. I don't buy it often enough to remember
> > where it's stocked.
> >
> > pat

> It makes a nice pilaf and is a welcome addition to beef or lamb soup I
> would never think of looking for it where the cereal is. It's barley, not
> oats!
>
> Jill

But it's grain, so I can see the loose connection -- and some folks use
it as a breakfast food -- like oatmeal.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> More on 1-4-05 - Chicken Tortilla
Soup, and Swiss Steak.
"Are we going to measure or are we going to cook?" -Food writer
Mimi Sheraton
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Goomba38
> wrote:
(snip)
> > I looked high and low for it near the rice (thanks, Wayne). They
> > put it near the soups. Dumb, IMNSHO.

> Who adds uncooked barley to canned soups!? Obviously the market was
> stocked by people who don't know food/cooking?

> Goomba

The woman trying to explain her way out of it <grin> said it was with
the Soup Starter and mixes. Whatever.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> More on 1-4-05 - Chicken Tortilla
Soup, and Swiss Steak.
"Are we going to measure or are we going to cook?" -Food writer
Mimi Sheraton
JeanineAlyse in 29 Palms

>In part, jmcquown wrote:
>searched high and low for flour tortillas
>to make quesadillas...found them with
>the bread. Okay, bread... tortillas; I
>suppose it makes sense, kinda.

>A bit of adavid.smith adding:
>The three grocery stores where I do
>most of my shopping keep their tortillas
>in different places.

On each of the three immediate Sundays preceding the Marine Corps Ball
each year, and should you care to travel, you could have bought your
tortillas right here in my Twentynine Palms, California patio.

While enjoying cooking with a dear Mexican family for several years in
Tucson, Arizona, I learned to roast fresh made tortillas atop their
(still in use today) wood stove. The torts that this 4'8" mother made
were a good two feet in diameter, and were done without a rolling pin,
stretched round entirely by hand. Being good with my hands, this
"forming" of the torts did come easy to me, and the family of 12 enjoyed
watching this "gringa" learn quickly the task that none of their
siblings could be bothered with. A few years went by before one of my
Marines wanting those huge tortillas he'd grown up with came up with a
solution for the "griddle" a common kitchen stove could use. He made me
two "comals" with welded on side handles, using the tops of some sort of
55 gallon metal containers that are about 3/8" thick. With putting each
comal covering two burners stovetop, and having one of the Marines
roasting with the patio's then extra stove, we could make many dozens
throughout a weekend marathon, with the insistence of a "switch places"
to come about so that I was in the patio stretching the last of the
dough during sales on Sunday afternoons while more were roasted.

Because of the funding reasoning, "it was no problem at all to sell
these puppies for $12 per dozen, with all proceeds going to the Marine's
funding pot used to help out the lower ranked youngsters purchase their
USMC Ball tickets. Then, come Ball night, my "Nana's House" home was
freely packed with more than a dozen kids to spend the night while their
USMC parents enjoyed the always several miles away Ball. The only sort
of restriction to my no-charge caring for the kids overnight was to have
no children still in diapers.

I did this for seven years each September/November, and do still have
one of the comals hanging out in the garage. But it's been well over a
dozen years since I've used it, or even made one single tortilla. Now I
buy them, but only from a wee store that sells just fresh made ones,
along with tamales, and the menudo (my mouth will never feel, much less
chew!).

Picky ~JA~

JeanineAlyse in 29 Palms

>In part, jmcquown wrote:
>searched high and low for flour tortillas
>to make quesadillas...found them with
>the bread. Okay, bread... tortillas; I
>suppose it makes sense, kinda.

>A bit of adavid.smith adding:
>The three grocery stores where I do
>most of my shopping keep their tortillas
>in different places.

On each of the three immediate Sundays preceding the Marine Corps Ball
each year, and should you care to travel, you could have bought your
tortillas right here in my Twentynine Palms, California patio.

While enjoying cooking with a dear Mexican family for several years in
Tucson, Arizona, I learned to roast fresh made tortillas atop their
(still in use today) wood stove. The torts that this 4'8" mother made
were a good two feet in diameter, and were done without a rolling pin,
stretched round entirely by hand. Being good with my hands, this
"forming" of the torts did come easy to me, and the family of 12 enjoyed
watching this "gringa" learn quickly the task that none of their
siblings could be bothered with. A few years went by before one of my
Marines wanting those huge tortillas he'd grown up with came up with a
solution for the "griddle" a common kitchen stove could use. He made me
two "comals" with welded on side handles, using the tops of some sort of
55 gallon metal containers that are about 3/8" thick. With putting each
comal covering two burners stovetop, and having one of the Marines
roasting with the patio's then extra stove, we could make many dozens
throughout a weekend marathon, with the insistence of a "switch places"
to come about so that I was in the patio stretching the last of the
dough during sales on Sunday afternoons while more were roasted.

Because of the funding reasoning, "it was no problem at all to sell
these puppies for $12 per dozen, with all proceeds going to the Marine's
funding pot used to help out the lower ranked youngsters purchase their
USMC Ball tickets. Then, come Ball night, my "Nana's House" home was
freely packed with more than a dozen kids to spend the night while their
USMC parents enjoyed the always several miles away Ball. The only sort
of restriction to my no-charge caring for the kids overnight was to have
no children still in diapers.

I did this for seven years each September/November, and do still have
one of the comals hanging out in the garage. But it's been well over a
dozen years since I've used it, or even made one single tortilla. Now I
buy them, but only from a wee store that sells just fresh made ones,
along with tamales, and the menudo (my mouth will never feel, much less
chew!).

Picky ~JA~

JeanineAlyse in 29 Palms

>In part, jmcquown wrote:
>searched high and low for flour tortillas
>to make quesadillas...found them with
>the bread. Okay, bread... tortillas; I
>suppose it makes sense, kinda.

>A bit of adavid.smith adding:
>The three grocery stores where I do
>most of my shopping keep their tortillas
>in different places.

On each of the three immediate Sundays preceding the Marine Corps Ball
each year, and should you care to travel, you could have bought your
tortillas right here in my Twentynine Palms, California patio.

While enjoying cooking with a dear Mexican family for several years in
Tucson, Arizona, I learned to roast fresh made tortillas atop their
(still in use today) wood stove. The torts that this 4'8" mother made
were a good two feet in diameter, and were done without a rolling pin,
stretched round entirely by hand. Being good with my hands, this
"forming" of the torts did come easy to me, and the family of 12 enjoyed
watching this "gringa" learn quickly the task that none of their
siblings could be bothered with. A few years went by before one of my
Marines wanting those huge tortillas he'd grown up with came up with a
solution for the "griddle" a common kitchen stove could use. He made me
two "comals" with welded on side handles, using the tops of some sort of
55 gallon metal containers that are about 3/8" thick. With putting each
comal covering two burners stovetop, and having one of the Marines
roasting with the patio's then extra stove, we could make many dozens
throughout a weekend marathon, with the insistence of a "switch places"
to come about so that I was in the patio stretching the last of the
dough during sales on Sunday afternoons while more were roasted.

Because of the funding reasoning, "it was no problem at all to sell
these puppies for $12 per dozen, with all proceeds going to the Marine's
funding pot used to help out the lower ranked youngsters purchase their
USMC Ball tickets. Then, come Ball night, my "Nana's House" home was
freely packed with more than a dozen kids to spend the night while their
USMC parents enjoyed the always several miles away Ball. The only sort
of restriction to my no-charge caring for the kids overnight was to have
no children still in diapers.

I did this for seven years each September/November, and do still have
one of the comals hanging out in the garage. But it's been well over a
dozen years since I've used it, or even made one single tortilla. Now I
buy them, but only from a wee store that sells just fresh made ones,
along with tamales, and the menudo (my mouth will never feel, much less
chew!).

Picky ~JA~

Puester

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Where would YOU stock it in a supermarket?

In the dried peas and beans and rice aisle, why?

gloria p
Puester

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Where would YOU stock it in a supermarket?

In the dried peas and beans and rice aisle, why?

gloria p
PENMART01

>Melba's Jammin' writes:
>
>Where would YOU stock it in a supermarket?

Any barley I've ever bought at a stupidmarket has been displayed along with the
dried beans.... which are not necessarily displayed with the rice and pasta.
My experience is that the dried beans are in the aisle with the canned/dried
soups... but again not necessarily. Latino markets can easily have up to two
full aisles of dried beans, barley is usally near to the dried
split/whole/green/yellow peas.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>Melba's Jammin' writes:
>
>Where would YOU stock it in a supermarket?

Any barley I've ever bought at a stupidmarket has been displayed along with the
dried beans.... which are not necessarily displayed with the rice and pasta.
My experience is that the dried beans are in the aisle with the canned/dried
soups... but again not necessarily. Latino markets can easily have up to two
full aisles of dried beans, barley is usally near to the dried
split/whole/green/yellow peas.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Hahabogus

Puester > wrote in
:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > Where would YOU stock it in a supermarket?

> In the dried peas and beans and rice aisle, why?
>
> gloria p

In by the soups and Soup starters. That's where I'd put everything...One
really long Aisle.

--
Starchless in Manitoba.
Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Hahabogus

Puester > wrote in
:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > Where would YOU stock it in a supermarket?

> In the dried peas and beans and rice aisle, why?
>
> gloria p

In by the soups and Soup starters. That's where I'd put everything...One
really long Aisle.

--
Starchless in Manitoba.
Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
axlq

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>Where would YOU stock it in a supermarket?

I dunno, I buy it at Whole Foods Market, where they sell it with all the
other bulk grains and beans.

-A
Felice Friese

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> Where would YOU stock it in a supermarket?

> Between the John and the corn.
>
> HTH
>
> Pastorio

Hoo! Took me a few minutes, though.

Felice

Margaret Suran

Felice Friese wrote:
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
>
>>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>

>>>Where would YOU stock it in a supermarket?

>>Between the John and the corn.
>>
>>HTH
>>
>>Pastorio

> Hoo! Took me a few minutes, though.
>
> Felice

I was really surprised that Bob (this one) Pastorio has this kind of
sense of humor and posted this so spontaneously. For all we know, he
makes up puns, too. )

I miss Jack Schidt's posts and his signatures.

Question - Beef Barley soup Dimitri General Cooking 30 12-02-2009 11:57 AM
Question about pearl barley MaryL Diabetic 8 06-02-2009 09:42 PM
Curiosity question for Penzeys customers Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 30 18-04-2007 06:23 PM
Barley question biig General Cooking 8 05-03-2006 03:39 PM
out of curiosity treetoad Winemaking 0 04-12-2005 10:36 AM