Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Question - Beef Barley soup

Would you cook the barley separately than add it to the soup or cook it
right in the soup?

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:
> Would you cook the barley separately than add it to the soup or cook it
> right in the soup?
>
> Dimitri

I just made it for the first time not too long ago. I added it to the soup.

-Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
> Would you cook the barley separately than add it to the soup or cook it
> right in the soup?

I rinse and add to the soup.

Debbie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Debbie" > wrote in message

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
>> Would you cook the barley separately than add it to the soup or cook it
>> right in the soup?
>>

> I rinse and add to the soup.

I do too, but find that if I use too much barley it gives the soup a weird
consistency. Kind of slimy. a little bit will do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote on Thu, 5 Feb 2009 13:34:10 -0500:

> "Debbie" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
>>> Would you cook the barley separately than add it to the soup
>>> or cook it right in the soup?
>>>

>> I rinse and add to the soup.
>>

> I do too, but find that if I use too much barley it gives the soup a
> weird consistency. Kind of slimy. a little bit will do.

Barley will soften and disintegrate if cooked too long, tho' many
recipes for Cockaleekie soup (Scottish, chicken-leek) include barley and
cook the soup for several hours.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dimitri" > wrote:

> Would you cook the barley separately than add it to the soup or cook it
> right in the soup?

I'd cook it right in the soup so that it would take up the flavours of
the broth.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> cybercat wrote on Thu, 5 Feb 2009 13:34:10 -0500:

> >> I rinse and add to the soup.
> >>

> > I do too, but find that if I use too much barley it gives the soup a
> > weird consistency. Kind of slimy. a little bit will do.

> Barley will soften and disintegrate if cooked too long, tho' many
> recipes for Cockaleekie soup (Scottish, chicken-leek) include barley and
> cook the soup for several hours.
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

I'd certainly cook the barley in the soup so it absorbs flavor and not
just water. The key to not cooking it to mush is to add it late in the
cooking of the soup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> Would you cook the barley separately than add it to the soup or cook it
> right in the soup?

Right in the soup, to thicken it up.

I used to make beef barley soup all the time,
before I quit eating U.S. beef.

I'd cut a cheap cut of beef into small bits,
pan fry them with black pepper, then add water,
bay, and rinsed barley and allow to simmer
covered for a few hours.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." wrote:

> I'd certainly cook the barley in the soup so it absorbs flavor and not
> just water. The key to not cooking it to mush is to add it late in the
> cooking of the soup.

Late? Barley takes a long time to cook through.
If I were still making beef barley soup, for example
if I could get my hands on some Australian beef,
I'd prepare the beef first, but then add the water
and barley at the same time. When the barley is done,
the soup is ready.

A good beef barley soup with LOTS of black pepper is
one of the nicest things you can have on a cold day.

Frying a little onion with the beef can improve flavor
and greatly deepen the color, but with enough black
pepper color won't be a problem.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Debbie" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
>>> Would you cook the barley separately than add it to the soup or cook it
>>> right in the soup?
>>>

>> I rinse and add to the soup.
>>

> I do too, but find that if I use too much barley it gives the soup a weird
> consistency. Kind of slimy. a little bit will do.

Yes, a little goes a long way. I should have added that I add towards the
end, although for some of my progressive soups it means that the barley has
been pretty well cooked by the end of the process.

Debbie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> "Pete C." wrote:
>>
>> I'd certainly cook the barley in the soup so it absorbs flavor and not
>> just water. The key to not cooking it to mush is to add it late in the
>> cooking of the soup.

> Late? Barley takes a long time to cook through.
> If I were still making beef barley soup, for example
> if I could get my hands on some Australian beef,
> I'd prepare the beef first, but then add the water
> and barley at the same time. When the barley is done,
> the soup is ready.

I don't add it that early, more in the latter half, but certainly long
enough to cook through.

Debbie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 12:07:01 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Dimitri wrote:
>>
>> Would you cook the barley separately than add it to the soup or cook it
>> right in the soup?

>Right in the soup, to thicken it up.
>
>I used to make beef barley soup all the time,
>before I quit eating U.S. beef.
>
>I'd cut a cheap cut of beef into small bits,
>pan fry them with black pepper, then add water,
>bay, and rinsed barley and allow to simmer
>covered for a few hours.

Where's the tomato juice? The carrots, the onions, the peas ..? The
Worcestershire sauce? Where's all the good stuff??

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dimitri" > wrote:

> Would you cook the barley separately than add it to the soup or cook it
> right in the soup?
>
> Dimitri

Depends on how much you like thick slimy soup. Me? Not so much.
I cook it and add it for the last 10 minutes or so. Is this something
other than beef vegetable soup with barley?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
> Would you cook the barley separately than add it to the soup or cook it
> right in the soup?
>
> Dimitri

In the soup.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:
> Would you cook the barley separately than add it to the soup or cook it
> right in the soup?
>
> Dimitri

I cook the barley in the soup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> cybercat wrote on Thu, 5 Feb 2009 13:34:10 -0500:

>>> I rinse and add to the soup.
>>>

>> I do too, but find that if I use too much barley it gives the soup a
>> weird consistency. Kind of slimy. a little bit will do.

> Barley will soften and disintegrate if cooked too long, tho' many
> recipes for Cockaleekie soup (Scottish, chicken-leek) include barley and
> cook the soup for several hours.

How long is too long, though? When I'm using barley in vegetable soup,
I start with raw pot barley (not pearled), and add it fairly early in
the process. The pot of soup ends up being on the stove for at least
several hours, often longer, and has never disintegrated or become
bloated and mushy (as someone else posted) or slimy (as yet others have
posted).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:
> Would you cook the barley separately than add it to the soup or cook it
> right in the soup?
>
> Dimitri

I do it both ways. If I want a thick, starchy soup, I cook them in the
soup. If I want less think and starchy, I cook them separately then
either put them in at then end. If I just want barely in my soup, I cook
them separately and add them them when serving.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Debbie" > wrote in message

> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
>> "Pete C." wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd certainly cook the barley in the soup so it absorbs flavor and not
>>> just water. The key to not cooking it to mush is to add it late in the
>>> cooking of the soup.

>> Late? Barley takes a long time to cook through.
>> If I were still making beef barley soup, for example
>> if I could get my hands on some Australian beef,
>> I'd prepare the beef first, but then add the water
>> and barley at the same time. When the barley is done,
>> the soup is ready.
>>

> I don't add it that early, more in the latter half, but certainly long
> enough to cook through.
>
> Debbie

That's a good idea. Add it as many minutes to the end that you want to cook
the barley. Barley is supposed to be a bit mushy, somewhat like risotto. If
you want to limit the mushiness you could cook it partially or completely
before adding it to the soup stock containing the other ingredients. I'm
going to do that next time.
Thanks to all,

Theron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 5, 3:49*pm, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *"Dimitri" > wrote:
> > Would you cook the barley separately than add it to the soup or cook it
> > right in the soup?

> > Dimitri

> Depends on how much you like thick slimy soup. *Me? *Not so much. *
> I cook it and add it for the last 10 minutes or so. *Is this something
> other than beef vegetable soup with barley?
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschallerhttp://gallery.me.com/barbschaller/100041
> -- a woman my age shouldn't
> have this much fun!

===============================

Damsel & Melba are right! When I was a kid I used to BEG my mother
NOT to put barley in her beef-vegetable soup, I actually like barley
but not over cooked.
Lynn in Fargo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:
> Would you cook the barley separately than add it to the soup or cook it
> right in the soup?

I cook it in the soup but put it in partway through the cooking.
That's the way my mother always did it.

pat

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 05 Feb 2009 02:49:50p, Melba's Jammin' told us...

> In article >,
> "Dimitri" > wrote:
>
>> Would you cook the barley separately than add it to the soup or cook it
>> right in the soup?
>>
>> Dimitri

> Depends on how much you like thick slimy soup. Me? Not so much.
> I cook it and add it for the last 10 minutes or so. Is this something
> other than beef vegetable soup with barley?

I prefer it added at the beginning because I do like it thick, but I don't
consider it slimy. Actually, I prefer beef mushroom barley soup with
*some* vegetables, but not dominated by them.

--
Wayne Boatwright
e-mail to wayneboatwright at gmail dot com
Date: Thursday, 02(II)/05(V)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till President's Day
1wks 3dys 4hrs 55mins
God made the integers; all else is the work of Man.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 15:13:05 -0800 (PST), Lynn from Fargo
> wrote:

>On Feb 5, 3:49*pm, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>> In article >,
>>
>> *"Dimitri" > wrote:
>> > Would you cook the barley separately than add it to the soup or cook it
>> > right in the soup?

>> > Dimitri

>> Depends on how much you like thick slimy soup. *Me? *Not so much. *
>> I cook it and add it for the last 10 minutes or so. *Is this something
>> other than beef vegetable soup with barley?
>> --
>> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschallerhttp://gallery.me.com/barbschaller/100041
>> -- a woman my age shouldn't
>> have this much fun!

>===============================
>
>Damsel & Melba are right! When I was a kid I used to BEG my mother
>NOT to put barley in her beef-vegetable soup, I actually like barley
>but not over cooked.

While I am very happy to be right for a change, I haven't posted to
this thread as yet. <G> I add pearled barley at the end, however, so
I guess I *am* right!

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
:

> On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 12:07:01 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>
>>Dimitri wrote:
>>>
>>> Would you cook the barley separately than add it to the soup or cook

it
>>> right in the soup?

>>Right in the soup, to thicken it up.
>>
>>I used to make beef barley soup all the time,
>>before I quit eating U.S. beef.
>>
>>I'd cut a cheap cut of beef into small bits,
>>pan fry them with black pepper, then add water,
>>bay, and rinsed barley and allow to simmer
>>covered for a few hours.

> Where's the tomato juice? The carrots, the onions, the peas ..? The
> Worcestershire sauce? Where's all the good stuff??
>
> Carol

it screams for mushrooms too.

--

The beet goes on -Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:

> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
> :
>
> > On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 12:07:01 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> > wrote:

> it
> >>
> >>Right in the soup, to thicken it up.
> >>
> >>I used to make beef barley soup all the time,
> >>before I quit eating U.S. beef.
> >>
> >>I'd cut a cheap cut of beef into small bits,
> >>pan fry them with black pepper, then add water,
> >>bay, and rinsed barley and allow to simmer
> >>covered for a few hours.

> > Where's the tomato juice? The carrots, the onions, the peas ..? The
> > Worcestershire sauce? Where's all the good stuff??

> it screams for mushrooms too.

When I have beef barley soup, I want the pure essence
of beef flavor, unadulterated by the flavors of vegetables,
sugar, etc. Very few things complement beef flavor without
changing it. Black pepper, bay leaf, sage, and caramelized
onions are pretty much the range of flavors that complement
without reducing beef from the star flavor to a bit player.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark wrote:

> When I have beef barley soup, I want the pure essence
> of beef flavor, unadulterated by the flavors of vegetables,
> sugar, etc. Very few things complement beef flavor without
> changing it. Black pepper, bay leaf, sage, and caramelized
> onions are pretty much the range of flavors that complement
> without reducing beef from the star flavor to a bit player.

Why not just put a rare steak into a duck press?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
(snips)
> You're using the wrong kind of barley, then. It'll soggy up plenty if
> you use pearl barley. I use pot barley and it stays "crunchy" no
> matter how long I cook it or how often I reheat it.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

Where do you buy pot barley, Terry? I don't think I've ever seen it in
the supermarket. TJ? I could use an excuse --er-r-r, *reason* to go
there again.
-B
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller/100041
-- a woman my age shouldn't
have this much fun!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote in
:

> You're using the wrong kind of barley, then. It'll soggy up plenty if
> you use pearl barley. I use pot barley and it stays "crunchy" no
> matter how long I cook it or how often I reheat it.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

And pot barley is chuck full of good stuff as it isn't processed as much as
pearl barley, so you get extra bran, minerals and vitamins for free. Not
really a different taste.

--

The beet goes on -Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 09 Feb 2009 03:29:28 GMT, hahabogus > fired
up random neurons and synapses to opine:

:

>> You're using the wrong kind of barley, then. It'll soggy up plenty if
>> you use pearl barley. I use pot barley and it stays "crunchy" no
>> matter how long I cook it or how often I reheat it.
>>
>> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>>

>And pot barley is chuck full of good stuff as it isn't processed as much as
>pearl barley, so you get extra bran, minerals and vitamins for free. Not
>really a different taste.

Eggsackly. I hadn't heard of it until a few years ago and, IIRC, it
was here in RFC. I scrounged around online until I found some and that
stuff is the bomb! I cook the hell out of my beef and barley soup,
reheat it and reheat it, and the stuff still has "crunch" left, bless
it.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 19:46:16 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> fired up random neurons and synapses to
opine:

>In article >,
> Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
>(snips)
>> You're using the wrong kind of barley, then. It'll soggy up plenty if
>> you use pearl barley. I use pot barley and it stays "crunchy" no
>> matter how long I cook it or how often I reheat it.
>>
>> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

>Where do you buy pot barley, Terry? I don't think I've ever seen it in
>the supermarket. TJ? I could use an excuse --er-r-r, *reason* to go
>there again.

It's damned hard to find, B. I had to order it online - an absolutely
ridiculous amount b/c it was the minimum I could find. It was cheap
enough, but I now have a pot barley supply to last until the Second
Coming or hell freezes over, whichever comes first.

Want some? I'll be happy to swap you some for some peach melba <insert
wide eyed innocent look here>

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
(snip)
> enough, but I now have a pot barley supply to last until the Second
> Coming or hell freezes over, whichever comes first.
>
> Want some? I'll be happy to swap you some for some peach melba <insert
> wide eyed innocent look here>
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

It could happen. :-) "Wide-eyed innocent look," my ass. <snork>
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller

Beef Barley soup? King's Crown General Cooking 3 05-01-2007 06:44 AM
Beef Barley Soup Tim Recipes 0 25-12-2005 01:36 AM
Beef Barley Soup Tim Recipes 0 25-12-2005 01:36 AM
Beef Barley Soup Gladys Dinletir Recipes (moderated) 0 17-12-2004 03:33 AM
Beef Barley Soup Nancy Recipes (moderated) 0 18-11-2003 03:10 PM