Lou Vincze

Default How To Clean Cornish Hens

Hi gang!

I purchased a 2-pack of Tyson frozen cornish hens. It says to clean them
before cooking. I"ve never prepared them before. How exactly do I clean
them?

Thanks!

Lou

Gal Called J.J.

One time on Usenet, "Lou Vincze" > said:

> I purchased a 2-pack of Tyson frozen cornish hens. It says to clean them
> before cooking. I"ve never prepared them before. How exactly do I clean
> them?

I give 'em a good rinse, inside and out, with cold water. Just remember
that you're dealing with raw poultry and disinfect accordingly...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF
Lou Vincze

"Gal Called J.J." > wrote in message
> One time on Usenet, "Lou Vincze" > said:
>
>> I purchased a 2-pack of Tyson frozen cornish hens. It says to clean them
>> before cooking. I"ve never prepared them before. How exactly do I clean
>> them?

> I give 'em a good rinse, inside and out, with cold water. Just remember
> that you're dealing with raw poultry and disinfect accordingly...
>

> --
> J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
> "I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF

Ok - rinse inside and out with cold water. Anything else?

Lou

Lou Vincze

"Gal Called J.J." > wrote in message
> One time on Usenet, "Lou Vincze" > said:
>
>> I purchased a 2-pack of Tyson frozen cornish hens. It says to clean them
>> before cooking. I"ve never prepared them before. How exactly do I clean
>> them?

> I give 'em a good rinse, inside and out, with cold water. Just remember
> that you're dealing with raw poultry and disinfect accordingly...
>

> --
> J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
> "I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF

Ok - rinse inside and out with cold water. Anything else?

Lou

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 13 Jan 2005 07:38:22p, Lou Vincze tittered and giggled, and giggled
and tittered, and finally blurted out...

> "Gal Called J.J." > wrote in message
>> One time on Usenet, "Lou Vincze" > said:
>>
>>> I purchased a 2-pack of Tyson frozen cornish hens. It says to clean
>>> them before cooking. I"ve never prepared them before. How exactly do
>>> I clean them?

>> I give 'em a good rinse, inside and out, with cold water. Just remember
>> that you're dealing with raw poultry and disinfect accordingly...
>>

>> --
>> J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
>> "I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF

> Ok - rinse inside and out with cold water. Anything else?
>
> Lou

Dry them thoroughly after rinsing, before you season them. You might also
consider brining them.

Wayne

Lou Vincze

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Thu 13 Jan 2005 07:38:22p, Lou Vincze tittered and giggled, and giggled
> and tittered, and finally blurted out...

>>> I give 'em a good rinse, inside and out, with cold water. Just remember
>>> that you're dealing with raw poultry and disinfect accordingly...
>>>

>>> --
>>> J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
>>> "I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF

>> Ok - rinse inside and out with cold water. Anything else?
>>
>> Lou

> Dry them thoroughly after rinsing, before you season them. You might also
> consider brining them.
>
> Wayne

Wayne:

What kind of seasoning do you recommend?

Lou Vincze

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Thu 13 Jan 2005 07:38:22p, Lou Vincze tittered and giggled, and giggled
> and tittered, and finally blurted out...

>>> I give 'em a good rinse, inside and out, with cold water. Just remember
>>> that you're dealing with raw poultry and disinfect accordingly...
>>>

>>> --
>>> J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
>>> "I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF

>> Ok - rinse inside and out with cold water. Anything else?
>>
>> Lou

> Dry them thoroughly after rinsing, before you season them. You might also
> consider brining them.
>
> Wayne

Wayne:

What kind of seasoning do you recommend?

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 13 Jan 2005 08:15:10p, Lou Vincze tittered and giggled, and giggled
and tittered, and finally blurted out...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Thu 13 Jan 2005 07:38:22p, Lou Vincze tittered and giggled, and
>> giggled and tittered, and finally blurted out...

>>> Ok - rinse inside and out with cold water. Anything else?
>>>
>>> Lou

>> Dry them thoroughly after rinsing, before you season them. You might
>> also consider brining them.
>>
>> Wayne
>>

> Wayne:
>
> What kind of seasoning do you recommend?

I often rub the hen, inside and out, with butter, salt, pepper, and
crumbled dried rosemary or chopped fresh rosemary, and put a small onion
(or piece) in the cavity.

If you'd prefer a sweet glaze, melted orange marmalade and butter is a
nice option. In that case, just use butter, salt, and pepper to rub the
hen - no herbs.

Wayne

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 13 Jan 2005 08:15:10p, Lou Vincze tittered and giggled, and giggled
and tittered, and finally blurted out...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Thu 13 Jan 2005 07:38:22p, Lou Vincze tittered and giggled, and
>> giggled and tittered, and finally blurted out...

>>> Ok - rinse inside and out with cold water. Anything else?
>>>
>>> Lou

>> Dry them thoroughly after rinsing, before you season them. You might
>> also consider brining them.
>>
>> Wayne
>>

> Wayne:
>
> What kind of seasoning do you recommend?

I often rub the hen, inside and out, with butter, salt, pepper, and
crumbled dried rosemary or chopped fresh rosemary, and put a small onion
(or piece) in the cavity.

If you'd prefer a sweet glaze, melted orange marmalade and butter is a
nice option. In that case, just use butter, salt, and pepper to rub the
hen - no herbs.

Wayne

Thomas Muffaletto

"Lou Vincze" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Hi gang!
>
> I purchased a 2-pack of Tyson frozen cornish hens. It says to clean them
> before cooking. I"ve never prepared them before. How exactly do I clean
> them?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Lou

I hope I did mine right.. I cleaned them the same way I do my chickens.
the other day I cooked 2 in my convection oven - THEY MADE A MESS.
I don't know what happen but it seemed like a fat pocket must have busted
and all the fat hit the drip pan and started smoking.
when it was done the inside of my oven was a mess.
it had this white slimy stuff all over the walls.
pretty nasty stuff. lol I used to think I was a good cook.
Tom
--
Information you can trust from the diabetes experts...
Your American Diabetes Association

Thomas Muffaletto

"Lou Vincze" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Hi gang!
>
> I purchased a 2-pack of Tyson frozen cornish hens. It says to clean them
> before cooking. I"ve never prepared them before. How exactly do I clean
> them?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Lou

I hope I did mine right.. I cleaned them the same way I do my chickens.
the other day I cooked 2 in my convection oven - THEY MADE A MESS.
I don't know what happen but it seemed like a fat pocket must have busted
and all the fat hit the drip pan and started smoking.
when it was done the inside of my oven was a mess.
it had this white slimy stuff all over the walls.
pretty nasty stuff. lol I used to think I was a good cook.
Tom
--
Information you can trust from the diabetes experts...
Your American Diabetes Association
http://www.diabetes.org/home.jsp
See the Empire State Building Pose with my VTX
http://www.gantlet.000k2.com/

Gal Called J.J.

Yeah, what Wayne said... :-)

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF
Gal Called J.J.

Yeah, what Wayne said... :-)

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF
Thomas Muffaletto

"Lou Vincze" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Thu 13 Jan 2005 07:38:22p, Lou Vincze tittered and giggled, and
>> giggled
>> and tittered, and finally blurted out...

>>> Ok - rinse inside and out with cold water. Anything else?
>>>
>>> Lou

>> Dry them thoroughly after rinsing, before you season them. You might
>> also
>> consider brining them.
>>
>> Wayne
>>

> Wayne:
>
> What kind of seasoning do you recommend?

I just clean and dry as stated - rub with olive oil,
salt and pepper inside and out. I think you could also use poultry
seasoning.
but take others advice over mine. I would also suggest you ask
about cooking tempt and time.
and dont forget what they said about handling raw poultry.
wash your hands and anything that might have been dripped
on while washing. I put all my seasonings in small containers
so I dont have to keep washing my hands between seasonings.
was everything you touch and that the poultry touches. sometimes while
washing I have noticed that the chicken will touch the top of the foucet.
and dont stick a nife in the mayo jar that may have raw poultry on it. ( i
actually seen someone do that )
I dont know what others here do but I treat all raw meat the same.
it may not be as bad as poultry but im sure it can cause germs.
Tom
--
Information you can trust from the diabetes experts...
Your American Diabetes Association
http://www.diabetes.org/home.jsp
See the Empire State Building Pose with my VTX
http://www.gantlet.000k2.com/

Wayne's recommendations for sanitation and preparation are good. Here
are a few variations of my own:

Put a satsuma orange (little, and in season now) in the cavity of each
bird, or else a quarter of a regular navel orange. Squeeze some orange
juice over the top of the birdies, and roast at 350 F for about 1 hour
in the middle of the oven.

I often spread olive oil around the bottom of the roasting pan with 1
clove of garlic.

Make a basting sauce of orange juice and balsamic vinegar, and baste
the hens about four times as they cook. (If these ingredients don't
sound appealing to you, experiment. Orange and soy sauce is a nice
variation Lemon juice and olive oil mingled with pan drippings also
make a nice basting sauce.) Add about 10 minutes of cooking time if you
baste.

bunches of fresh tarragon tucked under the skin is also good. You can
also sprinkle the skin with chopped tarragon leaves and bake. I also
add little white boiling onions to the pan as the birds roast.

Don't tell Dr. Atkins, but sometimes I sprinkle grated parmesan over
the game hen before roasting. It makes the skin extra crisp when the
bird is cooked.

Lingonberry sauce or cranberry sauce is very good with the cooked
birds.

Yes, I eat a lot of game hens. =o) I find them a good value, as I can
get dinner off half a birdie, and eat the other half cold for lunch,
and it's a cheapish, tasty treat.

Melissa

-L.

Lou Vincze wrote:
> Hi gang!
>
> I purchased a 2-pack of Tyson frozen cornish hens. It says to clean

them
> before cooking. I"ve never prepared them before. How exactly >do I

clean
> them?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Lou

I just wash them really well with water, removing any pin feathers. I
then remove the kidneys that are along the back end of the back bone -
in from the tail. Otherwise the meat in that area is gamy. I rub with
oil and spices (pepper, garlic and onion powder, chili powder, or some
other spices that seem good) put in a pan with about 3/4 inch of water,
and roast at 325 - start at 400 - roast unclovered for 20 minutes,
cover the pan with foil (vented slightly) and roast at 325 for about an
hour. During the last half hour of cooking, I baste them every 20
mintes or so.

-L.

In rec.food.cooking, Lou Vincze > wrote:
> Hi gang!

> I purchased a 2-pack of Tyson frozen cornish hens. It says to clean them
> before cooking. I"ve never prepared them before. How exactly do I clean
> them?

Just run them through the dishwasher.

--
In the councils of government, we must guard against the
acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought,
Lou Vincze

> wrote in message
> In rec.food.cooking, Lou Vincze > wrote:
>> Hi gang!

>> I purchased a 2-pack of Tyson frozen cornish hens. It says to clean them
>> before cooking. I"ve never prepared them before. How exactly do I clean
>> them?

> Just run them through the dishwasher.
>
> --
> In the councils of government, we must guard against the
> acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought,
> by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the
> disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.
> -- Dwight David Eisenhower

One other thing - should i thaw them or cook them frozen?

Thanks!

Lou

Cornish hens ChattyCathy General Cooking 52 29-11-2010 05:06 PM
Cornish Game Hens aem General Cooking 15 11-08-2006 12:47 AM
Cornish Hens? Heavy_Smoker Barbecue 17 14-01-2006 07:09 PM
How To Clean Cornish Hens Lou Vincze General Cooking 0 14-01-2005 02:15 AM