Brooke Dolara

Default Corn Bread

I recently baked a loaf of corn bread using a recipe from Pillsbury
Complete Cookbook, and was really unimpressed with the result. The
bread came out really dry and crumbly. Since I want to avoid
accountability, I'm blaming the recipe for my failure. Does anyone
else find that Pillsbury breads and pastries come out really dry?
Any suggestions for a moister, lighter corn bread would be greatly
appreciated.
Scott

In article >,
(Brooke Dolara) wrote:

> I recently baked a loaf of corn bread using a recipe from Pillsbury
> Complete Cookbook, and was really unimpressed with the result. The
> bread came out really dry and crumbly. Since I want to avoid
> accountability, I'm blaming the recipe for my failure. Does anyone
> else find that Pillsbury breads and pastries come out really dry?
> Any suggestions for a moister, lighter corn bread would be greatly
> appreciated.

Reproducing the recipe would help for feedback purposes.

There are many kinds of cornbread recipes--all cornmeal, with flour,
with buttermilk, etc.

The best cornbreads that I've made have all used a pre-heated cast iron
skillet.

I've been wanting to try Alton Brown's recipe; it's similar to some that
I've used, except that I haven't added creamed corn:

Creamed Corn Cornbread
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

*Recipe Summary

Prep Time:*15 minutes
Cook Time:*20 minutes

Yield:*8 servings
*
2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1 cup creamed corn
2 tablespoons canola oil

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Place a 10-inch cast iron skillet into the oven.

In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, salt, sugar, baking powder, and baking
soda. Whisk together to combine well.

In a large bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, and creamed corn,
whisking together to combine thoroughly. Add the dry ingredients to the
buttermilk mixture and stir to combine. If the batter will not pour, add
more buttermilk to the batter.

Add 2 tablespoons canola oil to the cast iron skillet. Pour the batter
into the skillet. Bake until the cornbread is golden brown and springs
back upon the touch, about 20 minutes.

please mail OT responses only
D.Currie

"Scott" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> (Brooke Dolara) wrote:
>
> > I recently baked a loaf of corn bread using a recipe from Pillsbury
> > Complete Cookbook, and was really unimpressed with the result. The
> > bread came out really dry and crumbly. Since I want to avoid
> > accountability, I'm blaming the recipe for my failure. Does anyone
> > else find that Pillsbury breads and pastries come out really dry?
> > Any suggestions for a moister, lighter corn bread would be greatly
> > appreciated.

> Reproducing the recipe would help for feedback purposes.
>
> There are many kinds of cornbread recipes--all cornmeal, with flour,
> with buttermilk, etc.
>
> The best cornbreads that I've made have all used a pre-heated cast iron
> skillet.
>
> I've been wanting to try Alton Brown's recipe; it's similar to some that
> I've used, except that I haven't added creamed corn:
>
> Creamed Corn Cornbread
> Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
>
> Recipe Summary
>
> Prep Time: 15 minutes
> Cook Time: 20 minutes
>
> Yield: 8 servings
>
> 2 cups yellow cornmeal
> 1 teaspoon kosher salt
> 1 tablespoon sugar
> 2 teaspoons baking powder
> 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
> 1 cup buttermilk
> 2 eggs
> 1 cup creamed corn
> 2 tablespoons canola oil
>
> Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
>
> Place a 10-inch cast iron skillet into the oven.
>
> In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, salt, sugar, baking powder, and baking
> soda. Whisk together to combine well.
>
> In a large bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, and creamed corn,
> whisking together to combine thoroughly. Add the dry ingredients to the
> buttermilk mixture and stir to combine. If the batter will not pour, add
> more buttermilk to the batter.
>
> Add 2 tablespoons canola oil to the cast iron skillet. Pour the batter
> into the skillet. Bake until the cornbread is golden brown and springs
> back upon the touch, about 20 minutes.

I've been known to add creamed corn to whatever cornbread I'm making, and
just adjust the other liquids so the batter is right. It's a haphazard
method, but it always seems to come out just fine.

Brooke Dolara

Thanks a lot! I'll try it out.

Maverick

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> On 8 Mar 2004 09:10:23 -0800, (Brooke Dolara)
> arranged random neurons, so they looked like this:
>
> >I recently baked a loaf of corn bread using a recipe from Pillsbury
> >Complete Cookbook, and was really unimpressed with the result. The
> >bread came out really dry and crumbly. Since I want to avoid
> >accountability, I'm blaming the recipe for my failure. Does anyone
> >else find that Pillsbury breads and pastries come out really dry?
> >Any suggestions for a moister, lighter corn bread would be greatly
> >appreciated.

> Try this:
>
> 1 1/2 C. all purpose flour
> 2/3 C. granulated sugar
> 1/2 C. yellow or white corn meal
> 1 T. baking powder
> 1/2 t. salt
> 1 1/4 C. milk
> 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
> 1/3 C. vegetable oil
> 3 T. butter, melted
>
> Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 8" square baking pan.
>
> Combine flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder and salt in medium bowl.
> Combine milk, eggs, vegetable oil and butter in small bowl; mix well.
> Add to flour mixture. Stir until just blended. Pour into prepared
> baking pan. Bake for 35 mins. or until toothpick inserted in center
> comes out clean.

This isn't directed at you only, Terry but to everyone...

Why is it called cornbread when you use more flour than corn meal?

I've never heard a good answer but I just love a nice hot piece with vinegar
sprinkled on it.

TIA,
Bret

Corn Bread Ophelia[_11_] General Cooking 126 16-10-2014 05:20 AM
corn bread J. Davidson General Cooking 3 30-08-2005 04:36 AM
Corn Bread Help Amberinauburn General Cooking 5 02-02-2005 04:10 AM
Corn Bread Help Amberinauburn General Cooking 0 10-01-2005 08:13 PM
"corn" bread ? Baking 8 08-11-2004 04:14 PM