Aileen

Default Granite vs Marble

Hi all:
I would like to hear from those of you with marble counters. What are
your experiences? I presently have Brazilian Green granite and wanted to
compare the two for durability , cost, staining etc etc.
I will be building another kitchen and am trying to decide ...light
white/grey granite or carrera marble for counters. Island to be another
colour granite or material.
Any help appreciated, Aileen

zxcvbob

Aileen wrote:
> Hi all:
> I would like to hear from those of you with marble counters. What are
> your experiences? I presently have Brazilian Green granite and wanted to
> compare the two for durability , cost, staining etc etc.
> I will be building another kitchen and am trying to decide ...light
> white/grey granite or carrera marble for counters. Island to be another
> colour granite or material.
> Any help appreciated, Aileen

I don't have marble or granite countertops, but marble is *much* less
durable than granite. It is etched or stained by acids, and it is
softer than granite.

You might also look into "soapstone" for a countertop material.

Best regards,
Bob
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Aileen
> wrote:

> Hi all:
> I would like to hear from those of you with marble counters. What are
> your experiences? I presently have Brazilian Green granite and wanted to
> compare the two for durability , cost, staining etc etc.
> I will be building another kitchen and am trying to decide ...light
> white/grey granite or carrera marble for counters. Island to be another
> colour granite or material.
> Any help appreciated, Aileen

Doesn't answer your question, but Lynn Rosetto Kasper (NPR's host of
"The Splendid Table") says that stainless steel is the new thang. That
granite and marble scratch. Beats me.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> In article >, Aileen
> > wrote:

> > Hi all:
> > I would like to hear from those of you with marble counters. What are

> Doesn't answer your question, but Lynn Rosetto Kasper (NPR's host of
> "The Splendid Table") says that stainless steel is the new thang. That
> granite and marble scratch. Beats me.

And stainless steel doesn't? Must be some form of stainless
I'm unfamiliar with,

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
*rosie*

we are selling our house, and in order to update it alittle i have
granite tops put in the kitchen...................I HATE IT!
i hate keeping it shiny............................EVERY drop of
water shows...............

i had CORIAN in a previous house, and am looking forward to getting
it back in our new house.........................

--
read and post daily, it works!
rosie

"how wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before
starting to improve the world.
...................................anne frank

"Aileen" > wrote in message
> Hi all:
> I would like to hear from those of you with marble counters. What

are
> your experiences? I presently have Brazilian Green granite and

wanted to
> compare the two for durability , cost, staining etc etc.
> I will be building another kitchen and am trying to decide

....light
> white/grey granite or carrera marble for counters. Island to be

another
> colour granite or material.
> Any help appreciated, Aileen

smithfarms pure kona

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:37:32 -0600, " *rosie*"
> wrote:

>we are selling our house, and in order to update it alittle i have
>granite tops put in the kitchen...................I HATE IT!
>i hate keeping it shiny............................EVERY drop of
>water shows...............
>
>i had CORIAN in a previous house, and am looking forward to getting
>it back in our new house.........................

Thanks so much. I was thinking of having new counters put in and
couldn't even begin to know what kind. I have a finish carpenter
coming to do some work and just needed a knowledgable suggestion. It
will be corian.

aloha,
Thunder

http://www.smithfarms.com
Farmers & Sellers of 100%
Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff
Sam D.

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >, Aileen
> > wrote:
>
> > Hi all:
> > I would like to hear from those of you with marble counters. What are
> > your experiences? I presently have Brazilian Green granite and wanted to
> > compare the two for durability , cost, staining etc etc.
> > I will be building another kitchen and am trying to decide ...light
> > white/grey granite or carrera marble for counters. Island to be another
> > colour granite or material.
> > Any help appreciated, Aileen
> >

> Doesn't answer your question, but Lynn Rosetto Kasper (NPR's host of
> "The Splendid Table") says that stainless steel is the new thang. That
> granite and marble scratch. Beats me.

Anyone remember the DeLorean car of the early 1980's? It was designed with
stainless steel body panels to give it a sleek look but owners quickly
became frustrated when they realized that the gleaming showroom appearance
was impossible to maintain.

Last year we had custom fabricated stainless steel countertops installed in
our clubhouse kitchen which is equipped with commercial appliances. The
stainless countertops certainly have practical advantages and are easy to
clean but you have to be willing to accept compromises with the bright,
shiny appearance that you might expect from stainless steel. It is just the
nature of stainless steel to reflect and magnify every little surface spot,
blemish and fingerprint. That is OK in most commercial kitchens. But a
homeowner could quickly find that to be a matter of serious irritatation.

Peter Aitken

Default Stainless Steel & Granite vs. Marble

"Nancree" > wrote in message
> >> "The Splendid Table") says that stainless steel is the new thang. That
> >> granite and marble scratch. Beats me.

> >And stainless steel doesn't? Must be some form of stainless
> >I'm unfamiliar with,

> I lived with stainless steel counters and sinks for 3 years, and I Hated

them.
> They were spotted all the time. Any drop of water left a whitish spot

when it
> dried. Set down a glass and it left a ring. The sinks were worse. After
> washing the dishes you had to wash the sink ! and then dry it thoroughly.

I now
> have Corian and love it--prettier too, IMO, comes in nice colors.

One feature of granite can be an advantage and a disadvantage at different
times. The pattern in the stone is not only beautiful but it hides minor
stuff so the counter looks cleaner than it is. But then when you want to
clean it, that becomes a problem!

--
Peter Aitken

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Sam D."
> wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

(snip)
> > Doesn't answer your question, but Lynn Rosetto Kasper (NPR's host
> > of "The Splendid Table") says that stainless steel is the new
> > thang. That granite and marble scratch. Beats me.
> >

> Anyone remember the DeLorean car of the early 1980's? It was
> designed with stainless steel body panels to give it a sleek look but
> owners quickly became frustrated when they realized that the gleaming
> showroom appearance was impossible to maintain.
>
> Last year we had custom fabricated stainless steel countertops
> installed in our clubhouse kitchen which is equipped with commercial
> appliances. The stainless countertops certainly have practical
> advantages and are easy to clean but you have to be willing to accept
> compromises with the bright, shiny appearance that you might expect
> from stainless steel. It is just the nature of stainless steel to
> reflect and magnify every little surface spot, blemish and
> fingerprint. That is OK in most commercial kitchens. But a homeowner
> could quickly find that to be a matter of serious irritatation.

The thing I didn't mention about Kasper's remarks about the SS counter
is that her caller (radio program) said she had three little kids -
alluding to the fingerprints and marks. Kasper talked about various
finishes available -- brushed, I think. Designed to hide those kinds of
hazards. I'm not promoting it, just clarifying. :-)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!
Peter Aitken

" *rosie*" > wrote in message
> we are selling our house, and in order to update it alittle i have
> granite tops put in the kitchen...................I HATE IT!
> i hate keeping it shiny............................EVERY drop of
> water shows...............

You must have some weird-ass granite. Ours hides the dirt and water spots so
when I clean it I have to wipe every square inch because I cannot tell the
clean areas from the dirty. After 3 years of daily use it is still almost as
shiny as when new.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"smithfarms pure kona" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:37:32 -0600, " *rosie*"
> > wrote:
>
> >we are selling our house, and in order to update it alittle i have
> >granite tops put in the kitchen...................I HATE IT!
> >i hate keeping it shiny............................EVERY drop of
> >water shows...............
> >
> >i had CORIAN in a previous house, and am looking forward to getting
> >it back in our new house.........................

> Thanks so much. I was thinking of having new counters put in and
> couldn't even begin to know what kind. I have a finish carpenter
> coming to do some work and just needed a knowledgable suggestion. It
> will be corian.
>
> aloha,
> Thunder

No no no, she is all wrong. Granite is terrific - I love ours! Get some more
opinions before you decide.

--
Peter Aitken

PENMART01

>"Sam D." says:
>
>>"Melba's Jammin'" wrote:
>>>Aileen wrote:

>> > I would like to hear from those of you with marble counters. What are
>> > your experiences? I presently have Brazilian Green granite and wanted to
>> > compare the two for durability , cost, staining etc etc.
>> > I will be building another kitchen and am trying to decide ...light
>> > white/grey granite or carrera marble for counters. Island to be another
>> > colour granite or material.
>> > Any help appreciated, Aileen
>> >

>> Doesn't answer your question, but Lynn Rosetto Kasper (NPR's host of
>> "The Splendid Table") says that stainless steel is the new thang. That
>> granite and marble scratch. Beats me.

>It is just the
>nature of stainless steel to reflect and magnify every little surface spot,
>blemish and fingerprint. That is OK in most commercial kitchens. But a
>homeowner could quickly find that to be a matter of serious irritatation.

Only those with obsessive-compulsive disorder.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

>susan_r23666@yahoo
>
>My kitchen sink is brushed stainless steel. It has been in used for
>almost 30 years and does not look too bad. Of course I am not one to
>wax the kitchen sink. We are moving and the new sink is a deep double
>white. Looks like I may have to spend a little more time on it.

There are stainless steel sinks... and then there are STAINLESS STEEL SINKS.

This is not your momma's $39.95 Home Depot special: http://www.elkayusa.com

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Mike Pearce

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >susan_r23666@yahoo

> There are stainless steel sinks... and then there are STAINLESS STEEL

SINKS.

> This is not your momma's $39.95 Home Depot special:

http://www.elkayusa.com

Two years ago I was putting together a kitchen for scratch in my house. I
spent a lot of time looking into sinks. I ended up with a Moen "Lancelot".
Here's a link that I hope works:

http://www.moen.com/Consumer/catalog...u_refno=110915

It's a deep 18 gauge SS single bowl sink. I'm very happy with it. It is easy
to keep clean and solid as a rock. About three years ago my sister remodeled
her kitchen and got a deep SS sink which has a much thinner gauge of
stainless and her's always looks like crap. I don't know if I just am better
at keeping up with the cleaning or it has something to do with the gauge.
The Moen was about the best deal I could find for what I was looking for in
a sink by about $100.00.

-Mike

Mike Pearce

"Sam D." > wrote in message

> Last year we had custom fabricated stainless steel countertops installed

in
> our clubhouse kitchen which is equipped with commercial appliances. The
> stainless countertops certainly have practical advantages and are easy to
> clean but you have to be willing to accept compromises with the bright,
> shiny appearance that you might expect from stainless steel. It is just

the
> nature of stainless steel to reflect and magnify every little surface

spot,
> blemish and fingerprint. That is OK in most commercial kitchens. But a
> homeowner could quickly find that to be a matter of serious irritatation.

I've had stainless steel counters for just over a year now and I actually
think it is an advantage that they show spills, etc. more than most
countertops. It is less of a temptation to let a thorough cleaning slide
because it doesn't look dirty. Plus once I take the few minutes it takes to
clean the counter it looks great. I also like the idea that the things are
just about indestructible.

They were also fairly inexpensive. Rather than going to a cabinet shop to
get the counters, I had thick plywood tops built and brought them to a sheet
metal shop nearby for the stainless steel application.

-Mike

Wayne Boatwright

"Mike Pearce" > wrote in

> "PENMART01" > wrote in message
>> >susan_r23666@yahoo

>> There are stainless steel sinks... and then there are STAINLESS STEEL

> SINKS.
>>
>> This is not your momma's $39.95 Home Depot special:

> http://www.elkayusa.com
>>

> Two years ago I was putting together a kitchen for scratch in my
> house. I spent a lot of time looking into sinks. I ended up with a
> Moen "Lancelot". Here's a link that I hope works:
>
> http://www.moen.com/Consumer/catalog...tegory&ptype=s
> &product=2206&category=34&options=1257&flags=0&pri ce=0&finish=0&numofbo
> wls=1&crow=1&details=product&sku_refno=110915
>
> It's a deep 18 gauge SS single bowl sink. I'm very happy with it. It
> is easy to keep clean and solid as a rock. About three years ago my
> sister remodeled her kitchen and got a deep SS sink which has a much
> thinner gauge of stainless and her's always looks like crap. I don't
> know if I just am better at keeping up with the cleaning or it has
> something to do with the gauge. The Moen was about the best deal I
> could find for what I was looking for in a sink by about $100.00.
>
> -Mike

That's a nice one. You get what you pay for with most things. The gauge
and composition of SS; e.g., 18/8, 18/10, etc., determine the quality and
price.

Wayne
sf

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 19:03:21 -0600, "Mike Pearce"
> wrote:

> Two years ago I was putting together a kitchen for scratch in my house. I
> spent a lot of time looking into sinks. I ended up with a Moen "Lancelot".
> Here's a link that I hope works:
>
> http://www.moen.com/Consumer/catalog...u_refno=110915

Moen is a VERY good brand! I have Moen tub, sink & shower
fixtures that are over 20 years old and still going strong.

sf

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:37:32 -0600, " *rosie*"
> wrote:

> we are selling our house, and in order to update it alittle i have
> granite tops put in the kitchen...................I HATE IT!
> i hate keeping it shiny............................EVERY drop of
> water shows...............

You must have put in BLACK. If you installed something with
"grain" like Dakota Mahogony, it wouldn't be an issue...
unless you're a slob.

> i had CORIAN in a previous house, and am looking forward to getting
> it back in our new house.........................

You're welcome to it! In fact - side your house with it and
do your roof too.

Corian looks cheap, but it was cost equivalent to granite
(including installation) the last time I checked. So, if
it's a choice between Corian and Formica, I'd go with
Formica because you get what you pay for and I like the
designs these days.

sf

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:06:49 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> wrote:
>
> You must have some weird-ass granite. Ours hides the dirt and water spots so
> when I clean it I have to wipe every square inch because I cannot tell the
> clean areas from the dirty. After 3 years of daily use it is still almost as
> shiny as when new.

I think that's the difference between plain black or white
and everything inbetween.

;-)

sf

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:01:13 -0800, "Sam D."
> wrote:

> Anyone remember the DeLorean car of the early 1980's?

Oh, yes I do... except I didn't realize the body was
UNPAINTED ss (I'm not a car nut).

http://www.delorean.org/dmc12.asp

> It was designed with
> stainless steel body panels to give it a sleek look but owners quickly
> became frustrated when they realized that the gleaming showroom appearance
> was impossible to maintain.

Not impossible, just difficult and I was raised on ss
appliances/sinks (let's talk '50/60s).

IMO: Our perception of what ss should look like has changed
.... I don't know if ss has changed much over the last 50
years, but I do think that the finish, NOT the guage,
determines our opinion of how it looks as a well used
appliance or sink.

I have a ss cleaner that actually makes my appliances look
brand new after I use it. The product is called "Weiman
Stainless Steal Cleaner & Polish". It wasn't recommended by
anyone, I bought it on a whim one day and it worked for me.

> Last year we had custom fabricated stainless steel countertops installed in
> our clubhouse kitchen which is equipped with commercial appliances. The
> stainless countertops certainly have practical advantages and are easy to
> clean but you have to be willing to accept compromises with the bright,
> shiny appearance that you might expect from stainless steel. It is just the
> nature of stainless steel to reflect and magnify every little surface spot,
> blemish and fingerprint. That is OK in most commercial kitchens. But a
> homeowner could quickly find that to be a matter of serious irritatation.

If you can find Weiman, try it www.weiman.com

Christopher J. Webster

> Any help appreciated, Aileen

When we recently re-modeled our kitchen it came down to Granite vs.
Formica. Though SS didn't occur to me. At first I couldn't find any
granite I liked (we were on the 12" tile thing), too many veins that had
to be matched, weird colors. Finally I found some plain old gray
Yosemite style granite. Not only that it was only $5 a square. $500
for granite and installation.

While formic is not particularly indestructible, it's cheap enough to
replace every 5 years.
PENMART01

>"Christopher J. Webster" says:
>
>While formic is not particularly indestructible, it's cheap enough to
>replace every 5 years.

And that's exactly what I do, gives my kitchen a fresh new appearance for very
little money, and other than for futzing with the sink I can remove the old and
install the new myself with little more than a screw driver. I really don't
see the point in spending what amounts to a year's worth of groceries on a
stone countertop just to impress the neighbors... I'd rather have the cash to
spend on good vittles.... but who am I to speak, while I type 70 sq yards of
brazilian cherry floor is being installed in my kitchen... six cats locked in
the spare bedroom and me in my office... dust up the kazoo!

Hopefully in about a week my kitchen will look like this:
http://www.woodfloors.org/consumer/d...action=post&rm
1=ki&sp1=bc&di1=ve&rm2=dr&sp2=ac&di2=ho

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

zxcvbob

PENMART01 wrote:
>> "Christopher J. Webster" says:
>>
>> While formic is not particularly indestructible, it's cheap enough
>> to replace every 5 years.

> And that's exactly what I do, gives my kitchen a fresh new appearance
> for very little money, and other than for futzing with the sink I can
> remove the old and install the new myself with little more than a
> screw driver.

I thought it took a bucket of contact cement and a router. Or do you
mean a prefab countertop and you replace the whole top?

> I really don't see the point in spending what amounts to a year's
> worth of groceries on a stone countertop just to impress the
> neighbors...

It's so you can break dishes and cups whenever you sit them down too
hard or they tip over.

> Hopefully in about a week my kitchen will look like this:
> <http://www.woodfloors.org/consumer/designStudioInteract.asp?action=post&rm1=ki&sp1=bc &di1=ve&rm2=dr&sp2=ac&di2=ho>

Looks nice (but dark). What kind of finish does it have?

Regards,
Bob

rosie

> You must have put in BLACK. If you installed something with
> "grain" like Dakota Mahogony, it wouldn't be an issue...
> unless you're a slob.

that is EXACTLY what we have..............................and no,
i'm not a slob, i wouldn't worry about those damn water marks if i
was, now would i!

> > i had CORIAN in a previous house, and am looking forward to

getting
> > it back in our new house.........................

> You're welcome to it! In fact - side your house with it and
> do your roof too.

i believe that we were discussing countertops only.

> Corian looks cheap, but it was cost equivalent to granite
> (including installation) the last time I checked.

"to each his own"..............................

PENMART01

> zxcvbob writes:
>
>PENMART01 wrote:
>>> "Christopher J. Webster" says:
>>>
>>> While formica is not particularly indestructible, it's cheap enough
>>> to replace every 5 years.

>> And that's exactly what I do, gives my kitchen a fresh new appearance
>> for very little money, and other than for futzing with the sink I can
>> remove the old and install the new myself with little more than a
>> screw driver.

>I thought it took a bucket of contact cement and a router. Or do you
>mean a prefab countertop and you replace the whole top?

I replace the whole top... last time I replaced a counter top a few years ago
the price was like $20 or so a running foot depending on which laminate -- Home
Depot will supply counter top to your measurements in a vast array of
laminates. This kitchen has 24' of counter top (would cost about $500), a fully
covered backsplash up to the bottom of the cabinets (three full sheets 4' x 10'
should do it, about $100 worth), and one 8" x 3' windowsill (about $50).. well
under $1,000. How many thousands would I need to spend for stone?

>> I really don't see the point in spending what amounts to a year's
>> worth of groceries on a stone countertop just to impress the
>> neighbors...

>It's so you can break dishes and cups whenever you sit them down too
>hard or they tip over.
>
>> Hopefully in about a week my kitchen will look like this:
>>

><http://www.woodfloors.org/consumer/d...p?action=post&

rm1=ki&sp1=bc&di1=ve&rm2=dr&sp2=ac&di2=ho>

>Looks nice (but dark). What kind of finish does it have?

That's the natural wood, no stain is used on brazilian cherry, and it gets a
bit darker with reddish purple tones over time when exposed to light. I wanted
something dark and with some character... it will get four coats of some
expensive ($80/gal) urethane type finish made in Sweden... used the same stuff
to refinish the living room when I first moved in, beautiful job. The entire
rest of the house is floored in a light colored oak, this area will have a very
different look, I chose wider boards too (3"), all the rest is 2" width. The
original owners used commercial grade vinyl tile, 12" squares, in a *horrid*
green and white marblized pattern... they lived with that grotesque kitchen
flooring some 41 years, I don't know how. And all the rest of the kitchen is
beautiful custom cherrywood cabinets and wall paneling, all from the same tree
that was cut from the property... in fact all the doors in the house are from
that same tree. The fellow who is doing the floor now, his father did the
original woodwook, Norwegians do gorgeous wood working, perfection fanatics who
take great pride in their work, they work alone, takes a little longer, but no
stinkin' illegal alien minimum wage helpers to fercockt things up and steal
stuff.

I haven't checked stone recently but I'm positive a stone countertop will cost
more than my entire 70 sq. yd. flooring job ($3,300).

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

Someone wrote:

>Corian looks cheap, but it was cost equivalent to granite
>(including installation) the last time I checked.

Last time I checked decent granite cost like 4 times as much as corian.... you
sure you're not talking WOPish C-ment... Yo, Carmine, **** inna da wheelbarrow,
make-a her more-a juicy.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Chris Webster

> I replace the whole top... last time I replaced a counter top a few years ago
> the price was like $20 or so a running foot depending on which laminate -- Home
> Depot will supply counter top to your measurements in a vast array of
> laminates. This kitchen has 24' of counter top (would cost about $500), a fully
> covered backsplash up to the bottom of the cabinets (three full sheets 4' x 10'
> should do it, about $100 worth), and one 8" x 3' windowsill (about $50).. well
> under $1,000. How many thousands would I need to spend for stone?

I spent $500 for 12" granite squares, installed. They were $5 each or
$10 a linear foot. I also have 24' of 24" deep counter top.
PENMART01

>Chris Webster wrote:
>
>> I replace the whole top... last time I replaced a counter top a few years

>ago
>> the price was like $20 or so a running foot depending on which laminate --

>> Depot will supply counter top to your measurements in a vast array of
>> laminates. This kitchen has 24' of counter top (would cost about $500), a

>fully
>> covered backsplash up to the bottom of the cabinets (three full sheets 4' x

>10'
>> should do it, about $100 worth), and one 8" x 3' windowsill (about $50)..

>well
>> under $1,000. How many thousands would I need to spend for stone?

>I spent $500 for 12" granite squares, installed. They were $5 each or
>$10 a linear foot. I also have 24' of 24" deep counter top.

That's not a solid stone counter top... with all those crevices must get
friggin' filthy and look like dreck.... they would have to pay me $5 each to
schlep those tiles to the land fill.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Chris Webster

>>I spent $500 for 12" granite squares, installed. They were $5 each or
>>$10 a linear foot. I also have 24' of 24" deep counter top.

> That's not a solid stone counter top...

Correct, either is formica, though it is single piece. I'm not a fan of
grout/tiles for counter top, but I only had experience with 4" tile
counter tops, I decided to change the compromise of 12" squares. We
used a tan colored grout. Grout sealer is effective so far, we've
spilled red wine and no stains. Also we used 1/8" grout line instead of
1/4", and it's all done very flush. No regrets after 3 years.

> with all those crevices must get friggin' filthy and look like dreck....

Nope.

What about all those people who put 4" square tile on their counter tops?
B.Server

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 12:58:50 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >, Aileen
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all:
>> I would like to hear from those of you with marble counters. What are
>> your experiences? I presently have Brazilian Green granite and wanted to
>> compare the two for durability , cost, staining etc etc.
>> I will be building another kitchen and am trying to decide ...light
>> white/grey granite or carrera marble for counters. Island to be another
>> colour granite or material.
>> Any help appreciated, Aileen
>>

>Doesn't answer your question, but Lynn Rosetto Kasper (NPR's host of
>"The Splendid Table") says that stainless steel is the new thang. That
>granite and marble scratch. Beats me.

Well the granite would certainly scratch any stainless steel as would
anything that would scratch the granite. Maybe the decorators have
just found something that is even more expensive than granite to have
fabricated and installed.
Edwin Pawlowski

> >Doesn't answer your question, but Lynn Rosetto Kasper (NPR's host of
> >"The Splendid Table") says that stainless steel is the new thang. That
> >granite and marble scratch. Beats me.

New thing? It was in every house in Levittown PA in the 1950's. One piece
counter top and sink.

Tashi_Aunt

My house came with pink formica countertops. When we could afford it,
we had that taken out and replaced with solid granite. It is easy to
keep clean and nothing damages it. I absolutely love it! I wanted
soapstone initially, but the woman who was helping us with our choice
demonstrated that soapstone scratches very easily - you can scratch it
with a fingernail. So, we have beautiful granite with flecks of mica
in it. It has a lovely pattern. My kitchen is now a place of cool
tranquility and just walking into the room has a calming effect if you
have had a bad day.

In rec.food.cooking, Chris Webster > wrote:

> What about all those people who put 4" square tile on their counter tops?

That never made any sense to me at all. I'd rather have formica.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

In rec.food.cooking, Tashi_Aunt > wrote:
> My house came with pink formica countertops. When we could afford it,
> we had that taken out and replaced with solid granite. It is easy to
> keep clean and nothing damages it. I absolutely love it! I wanted
> soapstone initially, but the woman who was helping us with our choice
> demonstrated that soapstone scratches very easily - you can scratch it
> with a fingernail. So, we have beautiful granite with flecks of mica
> in it. It has a lovely pattern. My kitchen is now a place of cool
> tranquility and just walking into the room has a calming effect if you
> have had a bad day.

Nobody has yet mentioned slate. I once saw an article in a home
improvement mag about slate counters. They looked awesome. Not only
that, but the sink can be fabricated out of slate as well.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who
Chris

zxcvbob > wrote in message >...
> PENMART01 wrote:
> >> "Christopher J. Webster" says:

> > I really don't see the point in spending what amounts to a year's
> > worth of groceries on a stone countertop just to impress the
> > neighbors...

> It's so you can break dishes and cups whenever you sit them down too
> hard or they tip over.
>
> > Hopefully in about a week my kitchen will look like this:
> > <http://www.woodfloors.org/consumer/designStudioInteract.asp?action=post&rm1=ki&sp1=bc &di1=ve&rm2=dr&sp2=ac&di2=ho>
> >

> Looks nice (but dark). What kind of finish does it have?

We wanted to use cherry flooring in the kitchen - it's just gorgeous -
but were told that cherry darkens dramatically with age, and not being
able to envision how it would eventually look with our cabinetry, we
chickened out! We ended up with a bamboo floor (random planks,
interesting grain).

We did, however, opt for granite countertops. They're good looking,
easy to clean, and stay cool (perfect for rolling pastry dough). We
ruled out marble, as it's too porous and can absorb stains. Haven't
broken any glasses on the counters yet! Actually, we were more
worried about dropping things on the floor, which is why we went with
hardwood instead of stone or ceramic tile.

I don't think any one surface is "better" than the others. The
choices should suit the people who will be using it, and what they
will be using it for. Just my 2 cents!

- Chris
---
http://www.sudairy.com/
Loki

il Thu, 26 Feb 2004 03:57:46 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" ha scritto:

> > >Doesn't answer your question, but Lynn Rosetto Kasper (NPR's host of
> > >"The Splendid Table") says that stainless steel is the new thang. That
> > >granite and marble scratch. Beats me.

> New thing? It was in every house in Levittown PA in the 1950's. One piece
> counter top and sink.

Got one of those. Probably that old too. Easy to clean. What I hadn't
known was that chlorine bleach corrodes stainless steel.

At least with a marble top one could do some clay kneadiing as well.
;-)

--
Cheers,

sf

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 08:20:43 -0700, "Christopher J. Webster"
> wrote:

> > Any help appreciated, Aileen
> >

> When we recently re-modeled our kitchen it came down to Granite vs.
> Formica. Though SS didn't occur to me.

I like SS, but I think that totally ss counters are over the
top... and way too industrial/commercial for me.

> At first I couldn't find any
> granite I liked (we were on the 12" tile thing), too many veins that had
> to be matched, weird colors. Finally I found some plain old gray
> Yosemite style granite. Not only that it was only $5 a square. $500
> for granite and installation.
>
> While formic is not particularly indestructible, it's cheap enough to
> replace every 5 years.

AND the new designs are great. You want granite? They have
it (and it looks good). You want marble, soapstone or wood?
They have it. You want it to look like Corian? They
probably have something like that too.

;-)

Obviously, I was impressed by the "it's not your mother's
formica". AFAIC: If you don't have a lot of money, but you
need a new countertop - Formica is the way to go. I
absolutely HATE ceramic tile... mainly because most tile
setters today don't know how to set tiles the old fashioned
way: with little to no space between them.

Marble vs Granite Kichen countertops Aileen Cooking Equipment 19 15-02-2011 08:36 AM
Marble square Michael General Cooking 15 19-01-2005 02:44 AM
Marble square Michael General Cooking 0 14-01-2005 10:51 AM
granite vs marble,etc Sis Cooking Equipment 54 12-11-2004 11:20 AM
Replacement for marble Kim Baking 0 08-01-2004 01:24 AM