Joe Blo

Default Best way to make flavorfull juicy chicken breasts in the oven?

I would like to cook more from home. In the past I have used a grill
pan in the oven to grill chicken breasts that I marinated. However
they always came out dry and not very flavorfull. I would like to use
my Tilia vacuum sealer to vacuum marinade my chicken quickly when I
get home, however I hear that the secret to getting juicy chicken
breasts is to soak them in a brine solution overnight and pound them
flat with a mallet? Does soaking in Brine before marinating make them
taste better? How can I get that somewhat blackened crispy crust on
the breasts when I cook them in the oven? Can anyone recommend a line
of bottled marinates that are really good? Please share your secret
methods in making tasty marinated chicken breasts. Thanks
Ted Campanelli

On 2/21/2004 6:39 PM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these
great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:

> I would like to cook more from home. In the past I have used a grill
> pan in the oven to grill chicken breasts that I marinated. However
> they always came out dry and not very flavorfull. I would like to use
> my Tilia vacuum sealer to vacuum marinade my chicken quickly when I
> get home, however I hear that the secret to getting juicy chicken
> breasts is to soak them in a brine solution overnight and pound them
> flat with a mallet?

The Tilia will work just fine. The "overnight" is to allow the marinade
to absorb into the meat. You do not need to use a brine. The purpose
of pounding them flat is so that they will cook evenly - one part is not
thicker than another. I usually cook the chicken breasts at 325 - 350
(depending on the thickness).

Does soaking in Brine before marinating make them
> taste better?

The flavor from soaking in brine is a matter of personal preference - I
love bourbon, but hate scotch.

How can I get that somewhat blackened crispy crust on
> the breasts when I cook them in the oven?

About 8 - 10 minutes before you are ready to serve them, put them under
the broiler. You will need to watch them as every broiler is a little
different in temperature and the distance will make a difference also.
The higher the amount of sugar in the marinade, the quicker they will
blacken.

Can anyone recommend a line
> of bottled marinates that are really good? Please share your secret
> methods in making tasty marinated chicken breasts. Thanks

Dave Smith

Joe Blo wrote:

> I would like to cook more from home. In the past I have used a grill
> pan in the oven to grill chicken breasts that I marinated. However
> they always came out dry and not very flavorfull. I would like to use
> my Tilia vacuum sealer to vacuum marinade my chicken quickly when I
> get home, however I hear that the secret to getting juicy chicken
> breasts is to soak them in a brine solution overnight and pound them
> flat with a mallet? Does soaking in Brine before marinating make them
> taste better? How can I get that somewhat blackened crispy crust on
> the breasts when I cook them in the oven? Can anyone recommend a line
> of bottled marinates that are really good? Please share your secret
> methods in making tasty marinated chicken breasts. Thanks

It could be that your chicken breasts are dry and flat tasting is that
you are over cooking them. If you want them to be blackened and crispy
on the outside, just grill them in the grill pan on top of the stove.

Mr. Wizard

"Joe Blo" > wrote in message
om...
> I would like to cook more from home. In the past I have used a grill
> pan in the oven to grill chicken breasts that I marinated. However
> they always came out dry and not very flavorfull. I would like to use
> my Tilia vacuum sealer to vacuum marinade my chicken quickly when I
> get home, however I hear that the secret to getting juicy chicken
> breasts is to soak them in a brine solution overnight and pound them
> flat with a mallet? Does soaking in Brine before marinating make them
> taste better? How can I get that somewhat blackened crispy crust on
> the breasts when I cook them in the oven? Can anyone recommend a line
> of bottled marinates that are really good? Please share your secret
> methods in making tasty marinated chicken breasts. Thanks

Sorry to tell you that everything your doing and all
you have been told is wrong.
Chicken breasts by themselves should not be marinated for
an extended period with any kind of acidic mix like vinegar or citrus.
Thirty minutes is tops.
Brining them will not achieve a 'Juicy" breast. Just the opposite.
Pounding them will make them the driest of all and is only for stuffing
them with a greasy filling.

The best way to flavor a chicken breast is to season whole milk
with powdered or dried spices, garlic, onion, peppers, herbs, etc.
and soak the breasts tightly covered in the fridge.
You can soak them overnight or leave it two or three days.
Make sure to rinse the breasts with plenty of cold water before soaking.
Use only dried or powdered spices or you will sour the milk.

To cook:
Put some flour in a shallow dish and season it with salt and pepper.
Use a teaspoon of each for every cup of flour.
Dredge the breasts in the flour and lightly dust the chicken,
shake to remove any excess.
In a large oven safe skillet, heat clarified butter over medium-high heat.
Add the chicken and sear until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes on the top side.
Turn and place in preheated 350 degree oven and bake until the chicken
is cooked through, about 12 minutes.
Remove from the oven, transfer to a plate.
Hints:
Turn the oven to 350 first thing.
Get the chicken and flour ready to dredge.
Start getting the pan hot on the stovetop before you dust the chicken
so you can sear it as soon as you shake off the excess flour.

jmcquown

Joe Blo wrote:
> I would like to cook more from home. In the past I have used a grill
> pan in the oven to grill chicken breasts that I marinated. However
> they always came out dry and not very flavorfull.

Over-cooking is probably an issue here.

I would like to use
> my Tilia vacuum sealer to vacuum marinade my chicken quickly when I
> get home, however I hear that the secret to getting juicy chicken
> breasts is to soak them in a brine solution overnight and pound them
> flat with a mallet? Does soaking in Brine before marinating make them
> taste better? How can I get that somewhat blackened crispy crust on
> the breasts when I cook them in the oven? Can anyone recommend a line
> of bottled marinates that are really good? Please share your secret
> methods in making tasty marinated chicken breasts. Thanks

Pineapple juice makes an excellent marinade and the acidic content helps
break down the meat. Also tastes better than lemon juice.

I can't see how you can "blacken" chicken in the oven. Perhaps in a cast
iron skillet.

Jill

PENMART01

> "jmcquown" writes:
>
>I can't see how you can "blacken" chicken in the oven.
>
>Jill

My ex-mil did that all the time.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

jmcquown

PENMART01 wrote:
>> "jmcquown" writes:
>>
>> I can't see how you can "blacken" chicken in the oven.
>>
>> Jill

> My ex-mil did that all the time.
>
> Sheldon
> ````````````
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

ROFL! Yeah, but this guy wants to do it *on purpose*! I suspect he wants
it to look grilled, not blackened.

Jill

strider

"jmcquown" > wrote in message >. ..
> PENMART01 wrote:
> >> "jmcquown" writes:
> >>
> >> I can't see how you can "blacken" chicken in the oven.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > My ex-mil did that all the time.
> >
> > Sheldon
> > ````````````
> > "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

> ROFL! Yeah, but this guy wants to do it *on purpose*! I suspect he wants
> it to look grilled, not blackened.
>
> Jill

My favorite way is to use one of those little electric George Foreman
grills ($10 when on sale at Amazon). Plug in the grill, cut a breast
of chicken, drop it on, maybe grind some pepper on top. Let it heat
for about 5 minutes, press down a couple of times. Cook till done.
Cleans up REAL easy, chicken gets "grill marks", quick both in
preparation and clean up.
Nexis

"Joe Blo" > wrote in message
om...
> I would like to cook more from home. In the past I have used a grill
> pan in the oven to grill chicken breasts that I marinated. However
> they always came out dry and not very flavorfull. I would like to use
> my Tilia vacuum sealer to vacuum marinade my chicken quickly when I
> get home, however I hear that the secret to getting juicy chicken
> breasts is to soak them in a brine solution overnight and pound them
> flat with a mallet? Does soaking in Brine before marinating make them
> taste better? How can I get that somewhat blackened crispy crust on
> the breasts when I cook them in the oven? Can anyone recommend a line
> of bottled marinates that are really good? Please share your secret
> methods in making tasty marinated chicken breasts. Thanks

First, it sounds like you are definitely overcooking the chicken on the
grill. You need to make them as even as possible, thickness-wise, and grill
just until cooked through. With boneless skinless breasts, I generally grill
them over a hotter heat because they cook quickly and otherwise wouldn't
have time to get that yummy browning on them.
Brining is the best for boneless, skinless chicken...it makes it tender,
flavorful and juicy. You can add spices to the brine for added flavor
too....sage leaves, peppercorns, ancho chiles...it's pretty open.
You can also marinate/brine chicken with salted buttermilk, and you can add
spices to that too.
Another option is using a standard oil/acid marinade, such as one containing
lemon juice, pineapple juice, tomato juice, etc and usually an oil, such as
olive oil. A favorite of ours is olive oil, lime juice, ancho chili powder,
and onions.
However you cook them, do two things:
Make sure the thickness is even throughout as much as possible. You can do
this by butterflying or by pounding.
Do *not* overcook. Chicken can still be slightly pink in the center when you
take it off the heat as the residual heat completes the cooking. The juices
should run clear. It should feel firm, but not too firm, to the touch. Once
you get a feel for how long to grill/bake/broil/sauté/fry your chicken,
you'll be better able to easily estimate when to remove it from the heat to
avoid overcooking.
It also helps to start with a good tasting chicken to begin with. Try
getting an organic, free range chicken sometime. It's an amazing difference.

kimberly

Juicy chicken tacos...or enchiladas if you prefer Shalako General Cooking 11 12-09-2015 04:11 AM
Juicy chicken tacos...or enchiladas if you prefer Arthur Rochford Manby Barbecue 0 09-09-2015 11:40 PM
Juicy chicken tacos...or enchiladas if you prefer Shalako Barbecue 1 09-09-2015 11:34 PM
Oven Fried Chicken Breasts Tim Recipes 0 28-08-2005 09:01 PM
how to make a good flavorfull sweet fruit wine Stephen Winemaking 6 12-12-2003 12:45 PM