Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Juicy chicken tacos...or enchiladas if you prefer

While poached chicken breast can fill the bill, it's the thigh that
really saves the day in this iteration.

Unlike the author I leave the skin on and enjoy the crispy texture treat
when making these:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/08/c...hile-taco.html

There are two ways to go about making a moist and flavorful chicken
taco. The first is to dry-brine white meat chicken before slow-cooking.
Dry brining is a technique in which the meat is salted heavily for at
least a day in advance, which alters the protein structure of the
muscles in such a way that it allows the meat to retain more moisture as
it cooks. The second is to skip the white meat altogether and just use
chicken thighs, which remain juicy as they cook, due to their high
concentration of fat and connective tissues. The latter is what we're
using today.

Having recently driven through Hatch, New Mexico right at the start of
Hatch chile season, I had green chile on my mind (not to mention in my
fridge). For this recipe, I start with fresh Hatch chiles and a
tomatillo and broil them along with onions and garlic until they are
completely charred and tender. The peppers become sweet and smoky (not
to mention easy to peel) and the tomatillo balances it all out with its
bright acidity.

With a sauce made, I then sear chicken thighs in a hot skillet until the
skin is crisp. The goal here is really just to develop some nice browned
flavors, as the skin isn't going to make it into the final dish (you can
pull it off and eat it at the end before shredding if you'd like). After
browning, I deglaze the skillet with water (you can use chicken stock),
add the salsa, then return the chicken to the pan and let it simmer
until completely falling-off-the-bone tender.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 12:34:44 -0600, Shalako > wrote:

> While poached chicken breast can fill the bill, it's the thigh that
> really saves the day in this iteration.
>
> Unlike the author I leave the skin on and enjoy the crispy texture treat
> when making these:
>

> http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/08/c...hile-taco.html

Love green sauce with chicken and agree that thigh is terrific. I can
cook breast meat without drying it out, but why bother when thighs
have so much more flavor?

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

On 9/9/2015 1:42 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 12:34:44 -0600, Shalako > wrote:
>
>> While poached chicken breast can fill the bill, it's the thigh that
>> really saves the day in this iteration.
>>
>> Unlike the author I leave the skin on and enjoy the crispy texture treat
>> when making these:
>>

>> http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/08/c...hile-taco.html
>>

> Love green sauce with chicken and agree that thigh is terrific. I can
> cook breast meat without drying it out, but why bother when thighs
> have so much more flavor?

That's just where I'm at too.

In fact when I did poach breasts I always flavored the liquid with red
chile powder as it seems to seep in the meat better than the green chile
powder.

I also find a dash of cider vinegar will wake things up.

But like you I've largely become a thigh man, be it tacos, enchiladas or
fajitas.

And there's so much you can do with a proper overnight marinade as well.

One that I tried recently and really liked was the Stubbs brand of Sweet
Black Pepper marinade:

http://www.stubbsbbq.com/product/swe...anytime-sauce/

Gluten-Free Ingredients:
Water, Organic Tamari Sauce (Water, Organic Whole Soybeans, Salt), Brown
Sugar, Cane Sugar, Canola Oil, Black Pepper, Red Wine Vinegar, Salt,
Garlic, Natural Smoke Flavor, Contains less than .5% of: Rochester Sauce
(Distilled Vinegar, Corn Syrup, Water, Salt, Garlic Powder, Spices,
Tamarind, Natural Flavor), Xanthan Gum. Contains: Soy (Soybeans).

This has a versatile and nicely balanced flavor profile. I like to soak
some thighs overnight in this then hit either the grille pan or red hot
BBQ grill and wow!

This flavor totally works for fajitas.

You can still work with sides of guac and pico de gallo without feeling
like the marinade is fighting them in the slightest.

And the one I'd have expected to find in stores here, alas not yet...is:

http://www.stubbsbbq.com/product/gre...ytime-sauce-2/

Gluten Free Ingredients
Water, Green Chile, Hatch Green Chile, Pineapple Juice, Salt, Brown
Sugar, Jalapeno Powder, Natural Flavorings, Lime Juice, Vinegar, non-GMO
Corn Starch, Natural Spices, Xanthan Gum.

In fact I'd have to say that for a mass market sauce company the folks
at Stubbs do a really nice job overall.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 5:42 AM, sf wrote:

DEAR FAT ASS

good morning fat ass
how will your day go?
will you be stared at like an enourmous blob?
or be taunted and teased all day long?

people say you can't do anything
you cant do this or that
but you will sure show them
when your fat ass is in control

it is all your fault fat ass
you live to eat and dont eat to live
well look at that fat ass
a greasy cheese burger streaming down your lips and chin

you are a worthless excuse for a human
no one wants to see fat
lock yourself inside your room
until your thin and flat

you would rather some one say
**** her anorexic ass
than **** you
you fat fat ass

words hurt as much as the weight
they will be with you forever
that extra baggage you can change
show them you can do something

No one wants to see a fat girl cry
tears of grease and blubber
you will no longer be the funny fat girl
you will be just as cool as any other

slide your finger down your throat
when you dream of grease and junk
the calories will fade away
down the toilet with one flush

dont eat today
you will prove them right
that is something
you just can't do

show them they dont
have control over everything
your weight
is something you do

Loose it all fat ass
I want to see coller bones
and down right thin

dont cry when you become dizzy
just know that it will help you in the end

You can feel good about yourself fat ass
you just have to learn control
your punishment is a life full of pain
and tears of grease and fried stuff

thin is the way you have always wanted to be
well you have a long journey to get there
but change your life
you **** of blubber

run run fat ass
let that fat ass shake
no one wants to see that shit
better run in your back yard instead

skinny
be thin
fat ass
be fat
when weighing out your options
which do you like better than fat?

its not lie fat ass
you have let yourself go
its time to buckle down
and crack those calories away

when it is all said and done
you will be worthy
you will feel alive again
see thin is the way to be

and you are just a fat ass with no control again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

On 9/10/2015 6:02 AM, Shalako wrote:
Mmmm hmmm...

Ayup...

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

On 9/10/2015 4:34 AM, Shalako wrote:

Mmmm hmmm...

Ayup...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 14:02:59 -0600, Shalako > wrote:

> On 9/9/2015 1:42 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 12:34:44 -0600, Shalako > wrote:
> >
> >> While poached chicken breast can fill the bill, it's the thigh that
> >> really saves the day in this iteration.
> >>
> >> Unlike the author I leave the skin on and enjoy the crispy texture treat
> >> when making these:
> >>

> >> http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/08/c...hile-taco.html
> >>

> > Love green sauce with chicken and agree that thigh is terrific. I can
> > cook breast meat without drying it out, but why bother when thighs
> > have so much more flavor?

> That's just where I'm at too.
>
> In fact when I did poach breasts I always flavored the liquid with red
> chile powder as it seems to seep in the meat better than the green chile
> powder.
>
> I also find a dash of cider vinegar will wake things up.
>
> But like you I've largely become a thigh man, be it tacos, enchiladas or
> fajitas.
>
> And there's so much you can do with a proper overnight marinade as well.
>
> One that I tried recently and really liked was the Stubbs brand of Sweet
> Black Pepper marinade:
>
> http://www.stubbsbbq.com/product/swe...anytime-sauce/

I'm not a big marinade person, but I like your idea of adding some
chile powder to poaching liquid. That would work for me if it was
intended for a sandwich. As far as enchilada or taco meat - I just
shred and go.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 1:54 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 14:02:59 -0600, Shalako > wrote:

>>> Love green sauce with chicken and agree that thigh is terrific. I can
>>> cook breast meat without drying it out, but why bother when thighs
>>> have so much more flavor?

>> That's just where I'm at too.
>>
>> In fact when I did poach breasts I always flavored the liquid with red
>> chile powder as it seems to seep in the meat better than the green chile
>> powder.
>>
>> I also find a dash of cider vinegar will wake things up.
>>
>> But like you I've largely become a thigh man, be it tacos, enchiladas or
>> fajitas.
>>
>> And there's so much you can do with a proper overnight marinade as well.
>>
>> One that I tried recently and really liked was the Stubbs brand of Sweet
>> Black Pepper marinade:
>>
>> http://www.stubbsbbq.com/product/swe...anytime-sauce/

> I'm not a big marinade person, but I like your idea of adding some
> chile powder to poaching liquid. That would work for me if it was
> intended for a sandwich. As far as enchilada or taco meat - I just
> shred and go.

It's a nice way to get past the blander taste of white meat, plus it
blends perfectly with any chile sauce you may add.

I'm also fond of a splash of cider vinegar when poaching, maybe a TSP
per few quarts of liquid.

And for poaching liquid, few are better than some good quality chicken
stock.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 14:06:09 -0600, Kokopelli >
wrote:

> On 9/10/2015 1:54 PM, sf wrote:

> >> That's just where I'm at too.
> >>
> >> In fact when I did poach breasts I always flavored the liquid with red
> >> chile powder as it seems to seep in the meat better than the green chile
> >> powder.
> >>
> >> I also find a dash of cider vinegar will wake things up.
> >>
> >> But like you I've largely become a thigh man, be it tacos, enchiladas or
> >> fajitas.
> >>
> >> And there's so much you can do with a proper overnight marinade as well.
> >>
> >> One that I tried recently and really liked was the Stubbs brand of Sweet
> >> Black Pepper marinade:
> >>
> >> http://www.stubbsbbq.com/product/swe...anytime-sauce/

> > I'm not a big marinade person, but I like your idea of adding some
> > chile powder to poaching liquid. That would work for me if it was
> > intended for a sandwich. As far as enchilada or taco meat - I just
> > shred and go.
> >

> It's a nice way to get past the blander taste of white meat, plus it
> blends perfectly with any chile sauce you may add.
>
> I'm also fond of a splash of cider vinegar when poaching, maybe a TSP
> per few quarts of liquid.
>
> And for poaching liquid, few are better than some good quality chicken
> stock.

That's how I perk up boxed stock for tortilla soup when I'm not
starting with homemade. I slice carrots and onion paper thin, add
them to the broth with raw chicken and poach it.

I noticed that you've been calling for cider vinegar, which seems very
Midwestern to me. I thought Mexicans prefer white vinegar. How did
you decide on cider vinegar?

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2015 5:27 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 14:06:09 -0600, Kokopelli >
> wrote:

>>> I'm not a big marinade person, but I like your idea of adding some
>>> chile powder to poaching liquid. That would work for me if it was
>>> intended for a sandwich. As far as enchilada or taco meat - I just
>>> shred and go.
>>>

>> It's a nice way to get past the blander taste of white meat, plus it
>> blends perfectly with any chile sauce you may add.
>>
>> I'm also fond of a splash of cider vinegar when poaching, maybe a TSP
>> per few quarts of liquid.
>>
>> And for poaching liquid, few are better than some good quality chicken
>> stock.

> That's how I perk up boxed stock for tortilla soup when I'm not
> starting with homemade. I slice carrots and onion paper thin, add
> them to the broth with raw chicken and poach it.

Mmm yes.

> I noticed that you've been calling for cider vinegar, which seems very
> Midwestern to me. I thought Mexicans prefer white vinegar. How did
> you decide on cider vinegar?

It is an aberration for sure.

And I can't recall how that happened, just happenstance and it was close
at hand.

Anyway the taste is bit more robust and rounded, less acidic to my taste
buds.

But I've used golden sherry as well before. What works for onion soup
was less to my liking in a poaching liquid.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/12/2015 12:44 PM, Your Name wrote:
Mmmm hmmm...

Ayup...

Barbara J Llorente 71 Cerritos Ave San Francisco, CA 94127.
Age 65 (Born 1950) (415) 239-7248. Background Check - Available. Record

ID: 47846596.