Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Friday, June 4th, Dinner

On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 11:51:18 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> Ocean Spray "100 % Juice Cranberry" has no added sugar. It is 100%
> juice, but not all cranberry juice. The cranberry is sweetened and
> supplemented with grape juice.
>
> I have tried pure cranberry juice and I can tell you that it is
> way too tart for most palates. I had bought it for my mother because
> she used to get kidney stones regularly and thought it might help get
> rid of them. She would have gone for the cranberry cocktail but she was
> diabetic, so she wanted to try the unsweetened stuff. I love cranberry
> but I could not handle that stuff without diluting it and sweetening it
> a bit and neither could she.

The jug I have is 100% unsweetened cranberry juice and it certainly is
tart. I usually had 1 packet of aspartame in a glass to make it tolerable.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 6:51:18 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2021-06-09 12:37 p.m., Sheldon Martin wrote:
> > On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 08:31:11 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> > > wrote:

> >> Only if the container has pictures of apples on it. Otherwise its a false advertising gimmick.

> > No pictures are necessary.
> >
> > Many fruit products contain apple juice, also sugar.... especially
> > jams/jellies. However somewhere on the label those ingredients are
> > listed, perhaps instead of apple it will say pectin.
> > https://www.teoma.us/web?qo=semQuery...c&utm_source=b
> >

> Ocean Spray "100 % Juice Cranberry" has no added sugar. It is 100%
> juice, but not all cranberry juice. The cranberry is sweetened and
> supplemented with grape juice.
>
> I have tried pure cranberry juice and I can tell you that it is
> way too tart for most palates. I had bought it for my mother because
> she used to get kidney stones regularly and thought it might help get
> rid of them. She would have gone for the cranberry cocktail but she was
> diabetic, so she wanted to try the unsweetened stuff. I love cranberry
> but I could not handle that stuff without diluting it and sweetening it
> a bit and neither could she.

They have to call that stuff "cocktail" because calling it "cranberry juice" would be illegal. The important part is that it's "drinkable."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 09:54:39 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 11:51:18 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> Ocean Spray "100 % Juice Cranberry" has no added sugar. It is 100%
>> juice, but not all cranberry juice. The cranberry is sweetened and
>> supplemented with grape juice.
>>
>> I have tried pure cranberry juice and I can tell you that it is
>> way too tart for most palates. I had bought it for my mother because
>> she used to get kidney stones regularly and thought it might help get
>> rid of them. She would have gone for the cranberry cocktail but she was
>> diabetic, so she wanted to try the unsweetened stuff. I love cranberry
>> but I could not handle that stuff without diluting it and sweetening it
>> a bit and neither could she.
>>

>The jug I have is 100% unsweetened cranberry juice and it certainly is
>tart. I usually had 1 packet of aspartame in a glass to make it tolerable.

Pour it over ice and mix it half and half with Crystal Palace Vodka,
it'll very shortly become smooth and tolerable.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 12:49:38 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 09:54:39 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >The jug I have is 100% unsweetened cranberry juice and it certainly is
> >tart. I usually had 1 packet of aspartame in a glass to make it tolerable.
> >

> Pour it over ice and mix it half and half with Crystal Palace Vodka,
> it'll very shortly become smooth and tolerable.

I have several different variations of liquor in the house but no vodka.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-06-09 1:14 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 6:51:18 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> cean Spray "100 % Juice Cranberry" has no added sugar. It is 100%
>> juice, but not all cranberry juice. The cranberry is sweetened and
>> supplemented with grape juice.
>>
>> I have tried pure cranberry juice and I can tell you that it is way
>> too tart for most palates. I had bought it for my mother because
>> she used to get kidney stones regularly and thought it might help
>> get rid of them. She would have gone for the cranberry cocktail but
>> she was diabetic, so she wanted to try the unsweetened stuff. I
>> love cranberry but I could not handle that stuff without diluting
>> it and sweetening it a bit and neither could she.

> They have to call that stuff "cocktail" because calling it "cranberry
> juice" would be illegal. The important part is that it's
> "drinkable."

I am not sure about the labeling laws everywhere, but there are a lot of
very deceptive descriptions of food protects. 100% juice is one of
those. People make the mistake of reading 100% pure juice as being 100%
cranberry, orange, apple or pineapple when it is more likely to be some
of the labelled juice, often a concentrate, supplemented with a lot of a
much cheaper juice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

dsi1 wrote:

> They have to call that stuff "cocktail" because calling it "cranberry juice" would be illegal. The important part is that it's "drinkable."

https://quillette.com/2021/06/08/are...rom-criticism/

Published on June 8, 2021

Are Activists Protecting Asians from Hate€”or Protecting Their Narrative of White Supremacy from Criticism?

written by Hai Di Nguyen

EXCERPTS:

"The United States has witnessed some truly shocking anti-Asian attacks in recent months. On January 28th, 84-year-old Vicha Ratanapakdee was out for a walk in San Francisco when he was violently shoved to the ground. He never regained consciousness after the assault. On January 31, in Oakland, a 91-year-old Asian man was shoved from behind, unprovoked. The same assailant later pushed a 60-year-old man and a 55-year-old woman to the ground, resulting in the woman losing consciousness. In March, an Asian woman in Bronx was struck on the head with an umbrella by four teenage girls who accused her of spreading COVID-19. On March 21st, in Manhattan, a woman was on her way to an anti-Asian violence protest when a man tore up her sign, and hit her twice in the face. During the same month, also in Manhattan, an Asian woman was knocked to the ground and kicked when she was on her way to church€”footage shows some security guards looking on and doing nothing. On April 23rd, a 61-year-old Asian man in New York was struck in the back and knocked down; the suspect then stomped on his head repeatedly. On May 2nd, two Asian women were walking on the sidewalk in New York when an individual demanded they remove their masks and then struck one of the women on the head with a hammer. On May 4th, 85-year-old Chui Fong Eng and another woman were stabbed in broad daylight in San Francisco while they waited for a bus; Eng was left with a blade in her torso, which had to be removed surgically. Also in May, a 36-year-old Asian man was pushing his baby in a stroller outside a San Francisco supermarket when he was attacked; footage shows that he was trying to block blows to the head and back as his stroller rolled away...

Paradoxically...is that in many cases€”including every one of the examples mentioned above€”the suspects were found to be black...

If you have been following the news about such anti-Asian attacks in the United States over the past few months, you may have noticed that certain narratives have become prominent. The first€”promoted by CNN, the Guardian, NPR, BBC, USA Today, the Cut, and NBC News, to name just a few representative examples€”is that the attacks are related to COVID-19. And it is true that there has been a rise in hate crimes against Asian Americans during the pandemic. In some cases, the attackers have even made explicit mention of the €śChinese virus,€ť or accused the victim of bringing the disease to the United States. In most cases, however, it is difficult to prove that any given attack is related to the pandemic...

A second theme has been the idea that Donald Trump is to blame for anti-Asian hate...It certainly wasnt helpful for the then-US president to describe COVID-19 as €śChinese virus€ť and €śKung Flu,€ť especially when there are so many people who cannot seem to understand the distinction between the Chinese government and Asian Americans... However, it was not until the beginning of 2021€”nearly a year after the pandemic began, and a time when Trump was already out of office€”when the surge in senseless attacks on Asian Americans began to be widely reported. The timing here is not consistent with the idea that Trump played a major role...

A third media narrative has been that anti-Asian violence is caused by white supremacy. At CNN, the headline was €śWhite supremacy and hate are haunting Asian Americans.€ť At the State Press in Arizona, €śAnti-Asian racism is a product of white supremacist norms that must be eliminated.€ť At the Conversation, €śWhite supremacy is the root of all race-related violence in the US.€ť...

Paradoxically, the backdrop to these articles is that in many cases€”including every one of the examples I mentioned earlier in this essay€”the suspects were found to be black. Explaining why black attacks on Asian victims is really the fault of white supremacy may seem difficult, but a surprisingly large number of writers and scholars have shown themselves eager to take up the challenge...

In response to the recent spate of anti-Asian attacks, the US government has enacted the COVID-19 Hate Crimes Act, which promotes the reporting of hate crimes at local and state levels. One might think that Asian groups would welcome the move. Yet a coalition of over 100 Asian and LGBTQ organisations have opposed the law, on the basis that the mere collection and reporting of hate-crime data €ścontradicts Asian solidarity with Black, Brown, undocumented, trans, low-income, sex worker, and other marginalized communities whose liberation is bound together.€ť The idea here is that police should be removed from €ścommunities and neighborhoods€ť altogether; and that the security of the population should instead rest on such €ścommunity alternatives€ť as €śnon-coercive mental healthcare infrastructures, neighborhood-based trauma centers [and] community food banks.€ť..

Indeed, one wonders what the true goal is here. Advocates will tell you that their fight against white supremacy is a means to protect hate-crime victims. But often it seems that means and end have become reversed, and that these crimes now serve as a prop in the larger ideological campaign against our supposedly white-supremacy-saturated culture€”a campaign that Asians themselves are now being pressured to join. Whatever you may think of this ideology, it seems doubtful that its champions are motivated primarily by the need to protect Asians from violence..."

</>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 08:31:11 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 7:17:43 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 14:43:58 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:

>> >Cranberry juice does make a nice mixer for vodka.

>> Cranberry juice tends to be mainly apple juice.

>Only if the container has pictures of apples on it. Otherwise its a false advertising gimmick.

I think the reason that it's in large part apple juice (at least in
the supermarkets here) is that cranberry juice on its own is too sour.
Of course, apple juice is also much cheaper. Priority #1 for the food
industry. They'd sell the sheeple dog turds for meat if they'd eat
them.

--
Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 14:41:12 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2021-06-09 1:14 p.m., dsi1 wrote:

>> They have to call that stuff "cocktail" because calling it "cranberry
>> juice" would be illegal. The important part is that it's
>> "drinkable."
>>

>I am not sure about the labeling laws everywhere, but there are a lot of
>very deceptive descriptions of food protects. 100% juice is one of
>those. People make the mistake of reading 100% pure juice as being 100%
>cranberry, orange, apple or pineapple when it is more likely to be some
>of the labelled juice, often a concentrate, supplemented with a lot of a
>much cheaper juice.

I saw on TV how it works with orange juice. They dehydrate it for
easier transport, then rehydrate it later. In that process they lose
flavour, so they add chemical flavouring. I think this applies to the
cheaper juices only. Sheeple don't mind.

--
Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 08:31:11 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 7:17:43 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 14:43:58 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:

>> >Cranberry juice does make a nice mixer for vodka.

>> Cranberry juice tends to be mainly apple juice.

>Only if the container has pictures of apples on it. Otherwise its a false advertising gimmick.

Not Dave Smith

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 12:51:12 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2021-06-09 12:37 p.m., Sheldon Martin wrote:
>> On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 08:31:11 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
>> > wrote:

>>> Only if the container has pictures of apples on it. Otherwise its a false advertising gimmick.

>> No pictures are necessary.
>>
>> Many fruit products contain apple juice, also sugar.... especially
>> jams/jellies. However somewhere on the label those ingredients are
>> listed, perhaps instead of apple it will say pectin.
>> https://www.teoma.us/web?qo=semQuery...c&utm_source=b
>>

>Ocean Spray "100 % Juice Cranberry" has no added sugar. It is 100%
>juice, but not all cranberry juice. The cranberry is sweetened and
>supplemented with grape juice.
>
>I have tried pure cranberry juice and I can tell you that it is
>way too tart for most palates. I had bought it for my mother because
>she used to get kidney stones regularly and thought it might help get
>rid of them. She would have gone for the cranberry cocktail but she was
>diabetic, so she wanted to try the unsweetened stuff. I love cranberry
>but I could not handle that stuff without diluting it and sweetening it
>a bit and neither could she.

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 05:10:29 +1000, Dave Smith >
wrote:

>On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 08:31:11 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:
>
>>On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 7:17:43 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
>>> On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 14:43:58 -0700 (PDT), "

>>> Cranberry juice tends to be mainly apple juice.

>>Only if the container has pictures of apples on it. Otherwise its a false advertising gimmick.

>I think the reason that it's in large part apple juice (at least in
>the supermarkets here) is that cranberry juice on its own is too sour.
>Of course, apple juice is also much cheaper. Priority #1 for the food
>industry. They'd sell the sheeple dog turds for meat if they'd eat
>them.

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 05:14:34 +1000, Dave Smith >
wrote:

>On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 14:41:12 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>>On 2021-06-09 1:14 p.m., dsi1 wrote:

>>> They have to call that stuff "cocktail" because calling it "cranberry
>>> juice" would be illegal. The important part is that it's
>>> "drinkable."
>>>

>>I am not sure about the labeling laws everywhere, but there are a lot of
>>very deceptive descriptions of food protects. 100% juice is one of
>>those. People make the mistake of reading 100% pure juice as being 100%
>>cranberry, orange, apple or pineapple when it is more likely to be some
>>of the labelled juice, often a concentrate, supplemented with a lot of a
>>much cheaper juice.

>I saw on TV how it works with orange juice. They dehydrate it for
>easier transport, then rehydrate it later. In that process they lose
>flavour, so they add chemical flavouring. I think this applies to the
>cheaper juices only. Sheeple don't mind.

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 10:14:56 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 6:51:18 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2021-06-09 12:37 p.m., Sheldon Martin wrote:
>> > On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 08:31:11 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser

>> > No pictures are necessary.
>> >
>> > Many fruit products contain apple juice, also sugar.... especially
>> > jams/jellies. However somewhere on the label those ingredients are
>> > listed, perhaps instead of apple it will say pectin.
>> > https://www.teoma.us/web?qo=semQuery...c&utm_source=b
>> >

>> Ocean Spray "100 % Juice Cranberry" has no added sugar. It is 100%
>> juice, but not all cranberry juice. The cranberry is sweetened and
>> supplemented with grape juice.
>>
>> I have tried pure cranberry juice and I can tell you that it is
>> way too tart for most palates. I had bought it for my mother because
>> she used to get kidney stones regularly and thought it might help get
>> rid of them. She would have gone for the cranberry cocktail but she was
>> diabetic, so she wanted to try the unsweetened stuff. I love cranberry
>> but I could not handle that stuff without diluting it and sweetening it
>> a bit and neither could she.

>They have to call that stuff "cocktail" because calling it "cranberry juice" would be illegal. The important part is that it's "drinkable."

Not Dave Smith

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 11:53:26 -0700 (PDT), GM
> [...]

>Indeed, one wonders what the true goal is here. Advocates will tell you that their fight against white supremacy is a means to protect hate-crime victims. But often it seems that means and end have become reversed, and that these crimes now serve as a prop in the larger ideological campaign against our supposedly white-supremacy-saturated culture—a campaign that Asians themselves are now being pressured to join. Whatever you may think of this ideology, it seems doubtful that its champions are motivated primarily by the need to protect Asians from violence..."

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 10:58:45 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 12:49:38 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 09:54:39 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >The jug I have is 100% unsweetened cranberry juice and it certainly is
>> >tart. I usually had 1 packet of aspartame in a glass to make it tolerable.
>> >

>> Pour it over ice and mix it half and half with Crystal Palace Vodka,
>> it'll very shortly become smooth and tolerable.
>>

>I have several different variations of liquor in the house but no vodka.

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 09 Jun 2021 13:49:31 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
wrote:

>On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 09:54:39 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:
>
>>On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 11:51:18 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> Ocean Spray "100 % Juice Cranberry" has no added sugar. It is 100%
>>> juice, but not all cranberry juice. The cranberry is sweetened and
>>> supplemented with grape juice.
>>>
>>> I have tried pure cranberry juice and I can tell you that it is
>>> way too tart for most palates. I had bought it for my mother because
>>> she used to get kidney stones regularly and thought it might help get
>>> rid of them. She would have gone for the cranberry cocktail but she was
>>> diabetic, so she wanted to try the unsweetened stuff. I love cranberry
>>> but I could not handle that stuff without diluting it and sweetening it
>>> a bit and neither could she.
>>>

>>The jug I have is 100% unsweetened cranberry juice and it certainly is
>>tart. I usually had 1 packet of aspartame in a glass to make it tolerable.

>Pour it over ice and mix it half and half with Crystal Palace Vodka,
>it'll very shortly become smooth and tolerable.

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 09:54:39 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 11:51:18 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> Ocean Spray "100 % Juice Cranberry" has no added sugar. It is 100%
>> juice, but not all cranberry juice. The cranberry is sweetened and
>> supplemented with grape juice.
>>
>> I have tried pure cranberry juice and I can tell you that it is
>> way too tart for most palates. I had bought it for my mother because
>> she used to get kidney stones regularly and thought it might help get
>> rid of them. She would have gone for the cranberry cocktail but she was
>> diabetic, so she wanted to try the unsweetened stuff. I love cranberry
>> but I could not handle that stuff without diluting it and sweetening it
>> a bit and neither could she.
>>

>The jug I have is 100% unsweetened cranberry juice and it certainly is
>tart. I usually had 1 packet of aspartame in a glass to make it tolerable.

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 09 Jun 2021 12:37:14 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
wrote:

>On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 08:31:11 -0700 (PDT), bruce bowser
> wrote:
>
>>On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 7:17:43 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
>>> On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 14:43:58 -0700 (PDT), "

>>> Cranberry juice tends to be mainly apple juice.

>>Only if the container has pictures of apples on it. Otherwise its a false advertising gimmick.

>No pictures are necessary.
>
>Many fruit products contain apple juice, also sugar.... especially
>jams/jellies. However somewhere on the label those ingredients are
>listed, perhaps instead of apple it will say pectin.
>https://www.teoma.us/web?qo=semQuery...c&utm_source=b

Not Dave Smith

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 1:30:19 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2021-06-09 12:54 p.m., wrote:
> >
> > The jug I have is 100% unsweetened cranberry juice and it certainly is
> > tart. I usually had 1 packet of aspartame in a glass to make it tolerable.
> >

> It's pretty rough stuff isn't it.

Pucker power!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 2:10:34 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> I think the reason that it's in large part apple juice (at least in
> the supermarkets here) is that cranberry juice on its own is too sour.
> Of course, apple juice is also much cheaper. Priority #1 for the food
> industry. They'd sell the sheeple dog turds for meat if they'd eat
> them.
>
> --
> Not Dave Smith

It's labeled here as being 'cran-apple' or whatever other fruit juice they add
to it. When it's sold as 'juice cocktail' it does contain sugar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 14:08:00 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 2:10:34 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> I think the reason that it's in large part apple juice (at least in
>> the supermarkets here) is that cranberry juice on its own is too sour.
>> Of course, apple juice is also much cheaper. Priority #1 for the food
>> industry. They'd sell the sheeple dog turds for meat if they'd eat
>> them.
>>
>> --
>> Not Dave Smith
>>

>It's labeled here as being 'cran-apple' or whatever other fruit juice they add
>to it. When it's sold as 'juice cocktail' it does contain sugar.

Not Dave Smith

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 14:04:36 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 1:30:19 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> On 2021-06-09 12:54 p.m., wrote:
>> >
>> > The jug I have is 100% unsweetened cranberry juice and it certainly is
>> > tart. I usually had 1 packet of aspartame in a glass to make it tolerable.
>> >

>> It's pretty rough stuff isn't it.
>>

>Pucker power!

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 3:37:21 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 6/9/2021 1:58 PM, wrote:
> >
> > I have several different variations of liquor in the house but no vodka.
> >

> I keep vodka for guests that want it. It has very little flavor. I
> keep gin, rum, Scotch, Bourbon for drinking.

I've got rum for when I make a rum cake at Christmas. I got sick on it
once and can't really handle it now for a drink. I don't think there's
anything that will make Scotch palpable to me. Triple sec, bourbon,
and Kahluha share the shelf with the rum along with creme de cacao.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 14:16:21 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 3:37:21 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> On 6/9/2021 1:58 PM, wrote:
>> >
>> > I have several different variations of liquor in the house but no vodka.
>> >

>> I keep vodka for guests that want it. It has very little flavor. I
>> keep gin, rum, Scotch, Bourbon for drinking.
>>

>I've got rum for when I make a rum cake at Christmas. I got sick on it
>once and can't really handle it now for a drink. I don't think there's
>anything that will make Scotch palpable to me. Triple sec, bourbon,
>and Kahluha share the shelf with the rum along with creme de cacao.

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-06-09 3:34 p.m., Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2021-06-09 5:16 p.m., wrote:

>>> I keep vodka for guests that want it. It has very little flavor. I
>>> keep gin, rum, Scotch, Bourbon for drinking.
>>>

>> I've got rum for when I make a rum cake at Christmas.Â* I got sick on it
>> once and can't really handle it now for a drink.Â* I don't think there's
>> anything that will make Scotch palpable to me.Â* Triple sec, bourbon,
>> and Kahluha share the shelf with the rum along with creme de cacao.
>>

> I never cared for rum when I was young because Coke seemed to be the
> main mixer, and I never cared much for Coke.Â* I later learned to enjoy
> sipping amber and dark rum.
>
> I love Scotch. Straight, with just a tiny bit of water, or little ice.
> Irish whiskey is pretty good too.Â* My limited experience with Bourbon
> has left me unimpressed. Maybe the premium stuff is worth trying.

I've never liked hard liquor. The last whisky I drank was ~50 years ago
when one of my profs treated a bunch of us to a straight malt, which is
the closest I've come to tolerating the stuff. I'll drink gin suitably
diluted with tonic water, but that's it.
I drink wine most of the year and beer in the hotter summer months.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 5:20:33 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 6/9/2021 5:16 PM, wrote:
> >
> > I don't think there's
> > anything that will make Scotch palpable to me.
> >

> Depends on the Scotch. The lower end stuff, to me, is no better than
> iodine. The good stuff is very good.
>
> Before spending $40 on a bottle try some from a friend or at a bar.

It was many, many years ago and it was top-notch stuff, at least that's
what he claimed when I had my sample. First impression was it was
gasoline; I think it falls into the same category as cilantro.

)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 16:05:37 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 5:20:33 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 6/9/2021 5:16 PM, wrote:
>> >
>> > I don't think there's
>> > anything that will make Scotch palpable to me.
>> >

>> Depends on the Scotch. The lower end stuff, to me, is no better than
>> iodine. The good stuff is very good.
>>
>> Before spending $40 on a bottle try some from a friend or at a bar.
>>

>It was many, many years ago and it was top-notch stuff, at least that's
>what he claimed when I had my sample. First impression was it was
>gasoline; I think it falls into the same category as cilantro.
>
>)

Not Dave Smith

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 16:56:00 -0600, Graham > wrote:

>On 2021-06-09 3:34 p.m., Dave Smith wrote:

>>> I've got rum for when I make a rum cake at Christmas.* I got sick on it
>>> once and can't really handle it now for a drink.* I don't think there's
>>> anything that will make Scotch palpable to me.* Triple sec, bourbon,
>>> and Kahluha share the shelf with the rum along with creme de cacao.
>>>

>> I never cared for rum when I was young because Coke seemed to be the
>> main mixer, and I never cared much for Coke.* I later learned to enjoy
>> sipping amber and dark rum.
>>
>> I love Scotch. Straight, with just a tiny bit of water, or little ice.
>> Irish whiskey is pretty good too.* My limited experience with Bourbon
>> has left me unimpressed. Maybe the premium stuff is worth trying.

>I've never liked hard liquor. The last whisky I drank was ~50 years ago
>when one of my profs treated a bunch of us to a straight malt, which is
>the closest I've come to tolerating the stuff. I'll drink gin suitably
>diluted with tonic water, but that's it.
>I drink wine most of the year and beer in the hotter summer months.

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-06-09 6:56 p.m., Graham wrote:
> On 2021-06-09 3:34 p.m., Dave Smith wrote:

>> I love Scotch. Straight, with just a tiny bit of water, or little ice.
>> Irish whiskey is pretty good too.Â* My limited experience with Bourbon
>> has left me unimpressed. Maybe the premium stuff is worth trying.

> I've never liked hard liquor. The last whisky I drank was ~50 years ago
> when one of my profs treated a bunch of us to a straight malt, which is
> the closest I've come to tolerating the stuff. I'll drink gin suitably
> diluted with tonic water, but that's it.
> I drink wine most of the year and beer in the hotter summer months.

I love the taste of it and I love the warm sensation as it goes down.
What I don't like is not being able to drink more of it because I don't
like getting drunk.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 16:05:37 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 5:20:33 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 6/9/2021 5:16 PM, wrote:
>> >
>> > I don't think there's
>> > anything that will make Scotch palpable to me.
>> >

>> Depends on the Scotch. The lower end stuff, to me, is no better than
>> iodine. The good stuff is very good.
>>
>> Before spending $40 on a bottle try some from a friend or at a bar.
>>

>It was many, many years ago and it was top-notch stuff, at least that's
>what he claimed when I had my sample. First impression was it was
>gasoline; I think it falls into the same category as cilantro.
>
>)

Maybe it's an acquired taste. It took me ages to like beer, but I
succeeded!

--
Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 09:21:09 +1000, Dave Smith >
wrote:

>On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 16:05:37 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>>> Depends on the Scotch. The lower end stuff, to me, is no better than
>>> iodine. The good stuff is very good.
>>>
>>> Before spending $40 on a bottle try some from a friend or at a bar.
>>>

>>It was many, many years ago and it was top-notch stuff, at least that's
>>what he claimed when I had my sample. First impression was it was
>>gasoline; I think it falls into the same category as cilantro.
>>
>>)

>Maybe it's an acquired taste. It took me ages to like beer, but I
>succeeded!

Not Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 6:21:15 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 16:05:37 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >It was many, many years ago and it was top-notch stuff, at least that's
> >what he claimed when I had my sample. First impression was it was
> >gasoline; I think it falls into the same category as cilantro.
> >
> >)

> Maybe it's an acquired taste. It took me ages to like beer, but I
> succeeded!
>
> --
> Not Dave Smith

I never could develop a taste for that swill. And when you have to
'develop' a taste for anything there's something wrong with that
concept. Did you have to 'develop' a taste for sex as well??