Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default All natural ingredients

A pet peeve of mine is growers, manufacturers, advertisers, and
friends and acquaintances pushing things on me because they're
"natural". The first three groups I ignore; to the friends and
acquaintances I relate the story of a doctor treating a patient who's
suffering from lung disease but who insists on smoking weed. "The
habit is making your condition worse" the doctor admonishes him. "How
can that be?" the patient asks. "It's all natural. How can it be bad?"
"Apricot stones naturally contain lethal amounts of cyanide. Eat too
many and they'll kill you" the doctor replies. "In my back yard
there's a plant that, if you sit under it for about ten minutes or so,
you'll die. Just because something is ""natural" doesn't mean it's
safe or good for you." The patient seems to accept this and says he'll
quit and leaves. After he's gone, the nurse in attendance looks at the
doctor and asks "What plant will kill you if you sit under it for ten
minutes?" "A water lily, of course."
--
Bob
Sidera errantia quibus procella tenebrarum in aeternum servata est

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-05-30 9:45 a.m., Opinicus wrote:
> A pet peeve of mine is growers, manufacturers, advertisers, and
> friends and acquaintances pushing things on me because they're
> "natural". The first three groups I ignore; to the friends and
> acquaintances I relate the story of a doctor treating a patient who's
> suffering from lung disease but who insists on smoking weed. "The
> habit is making your condition worse" the doctor admonishes him. "How
> can that be?" the patient asks. "It's all natural. How can it be bad?"
> "Apricot stones naturally contain lethal amounts of cyanide. Eat too
> many and they'll kill you" the doctor replies. "In my back yard
> there's a plant that, if you sit under it for about ten minutes or so,
> you'll die. Just because something is ""natural" doesn't mean it's
> safe or good for you." The patient seems to accept this and says he'll
> quit and leaves. After he's gone, the nurse in attendance looks at the
> doctor and asks "What plant will kill you if you sit under it for ten
> minutes?" "A water lily, of course."

Years ago my health food nazi SiL was extolling the virtues Celestial
Seasoning herbal teas. I argued that the companies producing that stuff
just mixed together a lot of flowers and herbs and had no idea of the
chemical content. A short time after that discussion there was a news
story about a woman who almost died from drinking too much of one of
their products. She had a real thing for it and was drinking more than
20 cups a day. Apparently there was atropine in it. Not enough to harm
you in normal doses, but enough to do harm in large doses.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 3:45:16 AM UTC-10, Opinicus wrote:
> A pet peeve of mine is growers, manufacturers, advertisers, and
> friends and acquaintances pushing things on me because they're
> "natural". The first three groups I ignore; to the friends and
> acquaintances I relate the story of a doctor treating a patient who's
> suffering from lung disease but who insists on smoking weed. "The
> habit is making your condition worse" the doctor admonishes him. "How
> can that be?" the patient asks. "It's all natural. How can it be bad?"
> "Apricot stones naturally contain lethal amounts of cyanide. Eat too
> many and they'll kill you" the doctor replies. "In my back yard
> there's a plant that, if you sit under it for about ten minutes or so,
> you'll die. Just because something is ""natural" doesn't mean it's
> safe or good for you." The patient seems to accept this and says he'll
> quit and leaves. After he's gone, the nurse in attendance looks at the
> doctor and asks "What plant will kill you if you sit under it for ten
> minutes?" "A water lily, of course."
> --
> Bob
> Sidera errantia quibus procella tenebrarum in aeternum servata est

My father-in-law was hospitalized when he OD'ed on the most natural of substances - water. He had read a book that claimed that drinking a lot of water could cure all ills. My guess is that it was a psychiatric problem, mostly. As it goes, water poisoning is a real thing.
My dentist was recommending that I drink more water. He rattled off some ridiculous number of glasses of water that I should drink every day. I think he might be trying to poison me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 12:58:36 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:

> My dentist was recommending that I drink more water. He rattled off some ridiculous number of
> glasses of water that I should drink every day. I think he might be trying to poison me.

The U.S. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine determined that an adequate daily fluid intake is: About 15.5 cups (3.7 liters) of fluids a day for men.

These recommendations cover fluids from water, other beverages and food. About 20% of daily fluid intake usually comes from food and the rest from drinks.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 May 2021 13:25:32 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 12:58:36 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> My dentist was recommending that I drink more water. He rattled off some ridiculous number of
>> glasses of water that I should drink every day. I think he might be trying to poison me.

>The U.S. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine determined that an adequate daily fluid intake is: About 15.5 cups (3.7 liters) of fluids a day for men.
>
>These recommendations cover fluids from water, other beverages and food. About 20% of daily fluid intake usually comes from food and the rest from drinks.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 May 2021 09:58:32 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 3:45:16 AM UTC-10, Opinicus wrote:
>> A pet peeve of mine is growers, manufacturers, advertisers, and
>> friends and acquaintances pushing things on me because they're
>> "natural". The first three groups I ignore; to the friends and
>> acquaintances I relate the story of a doctor treating a patient who's
>> suffering from lung disease but who insists on smoking weed. "The
>> habit is making your condition worse" the doctor admonishes him. "How
>> can that be?" the patient asks. "It's all natural. How can it be bad?"
>> "Apricot stones naturally contain lethal amounts of cyanide. Eat too
>> many and they'll kill you" the doctor replies. "In my back yard
>> there's a plant that, if you sit under it for about ten minutes or so,
>> you'll die. Just because something is ""natural" doesn't mean it's
>> safe or good for you." The patient seems to accept this and says he'll
>> quit and leaves. After he's gone, the nurse in attendance looks at the
>> doctor and asks "What plant will kill you if you sit under it for ten
>> minutes?" "A water lily, of course."
>> --
>> Bob
>> Sidera errantia quibus procella tenebrarum in aeternum servata est

>My father-in-law was hospitalized when he OD'ed on the most natural of substances - water. He had read a book that claimed that drinking a lot of water could cure all ills. My guess is that it was a psychiatric problem, mostly. As it goes, water poisoning is a real thing.
>My dentist was recommending that I drink more water. He rattled off some ridiculous number of glasses of water that I should drink every day. I think he might be trying to poison me.
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 May 2021 16:45:10 +0300, Opinicus
> wrote:

>A pet peeve of mine is growers, manufacturers, advertisers, and
>friends and acquaintances pushing things on me because they're
>"natural". The first three groups I ignore; to the friends and
>acquaintances I relate the story of a doctor treating a patient who's
>suffering from lung disease but who insists on smoking weed. "The
>habit is making your condition worse" the doctor admonishes him. "How
>can that be?" the patient asks. "It's all natural. How can it be bad?"
>"Apricot stones naturally contain lethal amounts of cyanide. Eat too
>many and they'll kill you" the doctor replies. "In my back yard
>there's a plant that, if you sit under it for about ten minutes or so,
>you'll die. Just because something is ""natural" doesn't mean it's
>safe or good for you." The patient seems to accept this and says he'll
>quit and leaves. After he's gone, the nurse in attendance looks at the
>doctor and asks "What plant will kill you if you sit under it for ten
>minutes?" "A water lily, of course."

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 10:25:35 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 12:58:36 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
>
> > My dentist was recommending that I drink more water. He rattled off some ridiculous number of
> > glasses of water that I should drink every day. I think he might be trying to poison me.

> The U.S. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine determined that an adequate daily fluid intake is: About 15.5 cups (3.7 liters) of fluids a day for men.
>
> These recommendations cover fluids from water, other beverages and food. About 20% of daily fluid intake usually comes from food and the rest from drinks.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I drink less than 2 cups of water a day. That's an adequate level for me. 3.7 L of water might just kill me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/31/2021 11:24 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 10:25:35 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 12:58:36 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>>> My dentist was recommending that I drink more water. He rattled off some ridiculous number of
>>> glasses of water that I should drink every day. I think he might be trying to poison me.

>> The U.S. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine determined that an adequate daily fluid intake is: About 15.5 cups (3.7 liters) of fluids a day for men.
>>
>> These recommendations cover fluids from water, other beverages and food. About 20% of daily fluid intake usually comes from food and the rest from drinks.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> I drink less than 2 cups of water a day. That's an adequate level for me. 3.7 L of water might just kill me.

Less than 2 cups...

Are you rooted in potting soil?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 1:25:01 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 10:25:35 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 12:58:36 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > > My dentist was recommending that I drink more water. He rattled off some ridiculous number of
> > > glasses of water that I should drink every day. I think he might be trying to poison me.

> > The U.S. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine determined that an adequate daily fluid intake is: About 15.5 cups (3.7 liters) of fluids a day for men.
> >
> > These recommendations cover fluids from water, other beverages and food. About 20% of daily fluid intake usually comes from food and the rest from drinks.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> I drink less than 2 cups of water a day. That's an adequate level for me. 3.7 L of water might just kill me.

If 2 cups were adequate, your dentist wouldn't recommend you drink more.

Increase slowly until you're consuming the recommended amount.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/31/2021 11:28 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 1:25:01 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:

>>> The U.S. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine determined that an adequate daily fluid intake is: About 15.5 cups (3.7 liters) of fluids a day for men.
>>>
>>> These recommendations cover fluids from water, other beverages and food. About 20% of daily fluid intake usually comes from food and the rest from drinks.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> I drink less than 2 cups of water a day. That's an adequate level for me. 3.7 L of water might just kill me.

> If 2 cups were adequate, your dentist wouldn't recommend you drink more.
>
> Increase slowly until you're consuming the recommended amount.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

It's possible he consumes the rest as "tea" though...plenty of pehnols
and antioxidants therein...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/31/2021 11:47 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/31/2021 1:28 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> I drink less than 2 cups of water a day. That's an adequate level for
>>> me. 3.7 L of water might just kill me.

>> If 2 cups were adequate, your dentist wouldn't recommend you drink more.
>>
>> Increase slowly until you're consuming the recommended amount.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> Or he could just ignore the dentist's advice and wind up losing his teeth.
>
> Jill

Little Miss Stalker Sunshine returns for a bite.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-05-31 1:24 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 10:25:35 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 12:58:36 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>>> My dentist was recommending that I drink more water. He rattled off some ridiculous number of
>>> glasses of water that I should drink every day. I think he might be trying to poison me.

>> The U.S. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine determined that an adequate daily fluid intake is: About 15.5 cups (3.7 liters) of fluids a day for men.
>>
>> These recommendations cover fluids from water, other beverages and food. About 20% of daily fluid intake usually comes from food and the rest from drinks.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> I drink less than 2 cups of water a day. That's an adequate level for me. 3.7 L of water might just kill me.

I am on a reduced fluid regimen. I am supposed to limit myself to 1 1/2
to 2 liters of fluid per day. That includes water, tea, coffee, juice
and any other beverages, plus the milk I have in cereal, high water
content fruit, yogurt etc. I gauge it relatively carefully but
sometimes I have to really watch it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 7:28:10 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 1:25:01 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:

> > > The U.S. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine determined that an adequate daily fluid intake is: About 15.5 cups (3.7 liters) of fluids a day for men.
> > >
> > > These recommendations cover fluids from water, other beverages and food. About 20% of daily fluid intake usually comes from food and the rest from drinks.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton

> > I drink less than 2 cups of water a day. That's an adequate level for me. 3.7 L of water might just kill me.

> If 2 cups were adequate, your dentist wouldn't recommend you drink more.
>
> Increase slowly until you're consuming the recommended amount.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

How much water do you drink a day? I used to drink a lot more water but it was nowhere near 4 L. That's kind of nuts. I'm just not a thirsty guy anymore.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 7:31:20 AM UTC-10, wolfy's new skateboard wrote:
> On 5/31/2021 11:28 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> I drink less than 2 cups of water a day. That's an adequate level for me. 3.7 L of water might just kill me.

> > If 2 cups were adequate, your dentist wouldn't recommend you drink more.
> >
> > Increase slowly until you're consuming the recommended amount.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> It's possible he consumes the rest as "tea" though...plenty of pehnols
> and antioxidants therein...

I drink about 5 to 10 oz of coffee in the morning. This morning, I'll drink about 7 oz. I'll have to keep track of the amount of water I drink today.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 May 2021 13:47:17 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/31/2021 1:28 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> I drink less than 2 cups of water a day. That's an adequate level for me. 3.7 L of water might just kill me.

>> If 2 cups were adequate, your dentist wouldn't recommend you drink more.
>>
>> Increase slowly until you're consuming the recommended amount.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>Or he could just ignore the dentist's advice and wind up losing his teeth.

Snark alert!

--
The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 May 2021 11:31:15 -0600, wolfy's new skateboard
> wrote:

>On 5/31/2021 11:28 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> I drink less than 2 cups of water a day. That's an adequate level for me. 3.7 L of water might just kill me.

>> If 2 cups were adequate, your dentist wouldn't recommend you drink more.
>>
>> Increase slowly until you're consuming the recommended amount.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

>It's possible he consumes the rest as "tea" though...plenty of pehnols
>and antioxidants therein...

Don't forget to count the ice in those gin & tonics.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 8:15:36 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2021-05-31 1:24 p.m., dsi1 wrote:

> >> The U.S. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine determined that an adequate daily fluid intake is: About 15.5 cups (3.7 liters) of fluids a day for men.
> >>
> >> These recommendations cover fluids from water, other beverages and food. About 20% of daily fluid intake usually comes from food and the rest from drinks.
> >>
> >> Cindy Hamilton

> > I drink less than 2 cups of water a day. That's an adequate level for me. 3.7 L of water might just kill me.
> >

> I am on a reduced fluid regimen. I am supposed to limit myself to 1 1/2
> to 2 liters of fluid per day. That includes water, tea, coffee, juice
> and any other beverages, plus the milk I have in cereal, high water
> content fruit, yogurt etc. I gauge it relatively carefully but
> sometimes I have to really watch it.

Back in the day, I'd drink a lot of soft drinks. The Hawaiians love soft drinks. I'd get a 32 or 64 oz Big Gulp from 7-11. A lot of people used to do that. These days I don't see that too much. My guess is it's because I don't get around much anymore. I went to the zoo a few weeks ago. I probably got dehydrated and felt sick for a couple of days. Drinking a bunch of water solved that. These days, I just don't get thirsty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT1KD_EP2Cc
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/31/2021 12:53 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 7:31:20 AM UTC-10, wolfy's new skateboard wrote:

>>> If 2 cups were adequate, your dentist wouldn't recommend you drink more.
>>>
>>> Increase slowly until you're consuming the recommended amount.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> It's possible he consumes the rest as "tea" though...plenty of pehnols
>> and antioxidants therein...

> I drink about 5 to 10 oz of coffee in the morning. This morning, I'll drink about 7 oz. I'll have to keep track of the amount of water I drink today.

Whatever condition you have, do what is recommended and don't mind the
water trolls, sigh...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/31/2021 12:56 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Mon, 31 May 2021 11:31:15 -0600, wolfy's new skateboard
> > wrote:

>>> If 2 cups were adequate, your dentist wouldn't recommend you drink more.
>>>
>>> Increase slowly until you're consuming the recommended amount.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> It's possible he consumes the rest as "tea" though...plenty of pehnols
>> and antioxidants therein...

> Don't forget to count the ice in those gin & tonics.

If I were betting, I'd put the over on Mai Tais or Pina Coladas...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 May 2021 12:01:32 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 8:15:36 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

>> > I drink less than 2 cups of water a day. That's an adequate level for me. 3.7 L of water might just kill me.
>> >

>> I am on a reduced fluid regimen. I am supposed to limit myself to 1 1/2
>> to 2 liters of fluid per day. That includes water, tea, coffee, juice
>> and any other beverages, plus the milk I have in cereal, high water
>> content fruit, yogurt etc. I gauge it relatively carefully but
>> sometimes I have to really watch it.

>Back in the day, I'd drink a lot of soft drinks.

YOU drank a lot of soft drinks. Ok.

> The Hawaiians love soft drinks.

Ah, the generalisation. Of course.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 May 2021 11:53:47 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 7:31:20 AM UTC-10, wolfy's new skateboard wrote:

>> > If 2 cups were adequate, your dentist wouldn't recommend you drink more.
>> >
>> > Increase slowly until you're consuming the recommended amount.
>> >
>> > Cindy Hamilton
>> >

>> It's possible he consumes the rest as "tea" though...plenty of pehnols
>> and antioxidants therein...

>I drink about 5 to 10 oz of coffee in the morning. This morning, I'll drink about 7 oz. I'll have to keep track of the amount of water I drink today.

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 May 2021 11:50:09 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 7:28:10 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> > I drink less than 2 cups of water a day. That's an adequate level for me. 3.7 L of water might just kill me.

>> If 2 cups were adequate, your dentist wouldn't recommend you drink more.
>>
>> Increase slowly until you're consuming the recommended amount.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

>How much water do you drink a day? I used to drink a lot more water but it was nowhere near 4 L. That's kind of nuts. I'm just not a thirsty guy anymore.

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 May 2021 12:01:32 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 8:15:36 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

>> > I drink less than 2 cups of water a day. That's an adequate level for me. 3.7 L of water might just kill me.
>> >

>> I am on a reduced fluid regimen. I am supposed to limit myself to 1 1/2
>> to 2 liters of fluid per day. That includes water, tea, coffee, juice
>> and any other beverages, plus the milk I have in cereal, high water
>> content fruit, yogurt etc. I gauge it relatively carefully but
>> sometimes I have to really watch it.

>Back in the day, I'd drink a lot of soft drinks. The Hawaiians love soft drinks. I'd get a 32 or 64 oz Big Gulp from 7-11. A lot of people used to do that. These days I don't see that too much. My guess is it's because I don't get around much anymore. I went to the zoo a few weeks ago. I probably got dehydrated and felt sick for a couple of days. Drinking a bunch of water solved that. These days, I just don't get thirsty.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT1KD_EP2Cc

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 05:17:52 +1000, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On Mon, 31 May 2021 12:01:32 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>>> I am on a reduced fluid regimen. I am supposed to limit myself to 1 1/2
>>> to 2 liters of fluid per day. That includes water, tea, coffee, juice
>>> and any other beverages, plus the milk I have in cereal, high water
>>> content fruit, yogurt etc. I gauge it relatively carefully but
>>> sometimes I have to really watch it.

>>Back in the day, I'd drink a lot of soft drinks.

>YOU drank a lot of soft drinks. Ok.
>
>> The Hawaiians love soft drinks.

>Ah, the generalisation. Of course.

The other Dave Smith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 May 2021 14:56:50 -0400, Sheldon Martin >
wrote:

>On Mon, 31 May 2021 11:31:15 -0600, wolfy's new skateboard
> wrote:

>>> If 2 cups were adequate, your dentist wouldn't recommend you drink more.
>>>
>>> Increase slowly until you're consuming the recommended amount.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>>It's possible he consumes the rest as "tea" though...plenty of pehnols
>>and antioxidants therein...

>Don't forget to count the ice in those gin & tonics.

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 04:55:13 +1000, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On Mon, 31 May 2021 13:47:17 -0400, jmcquown >
>wrote:

>>> If 2 cups were adequate, your dentist wouldn't recommend you drink more.
>>>
>>> Increase slowly until you're consuming the recommended amount.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>>Or he could just ignore the dentist's advice and wind up losing his teeth.

>Snark alert!

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/31/2021 1:17 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 31 May 2021 12:01:32 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:

>>> I am on a reduced fluid regimen. I am supposed to limit myself to 1 1/2
>>> to 2 liters of fluid per day. That includes water, tea, coffee, juice
>>> and any other beverages, plus the milk I have in cereal, high water
>>> content fruit, yogurt etc. I gauge it relatively carefully but
>>> sometimes I have to really watch it.

>> Back in the day, I'd drink a lot of soft drinks.

> YOU drank a lot of soft drinks. Ok.
>
>> The Hawaiians love soft drinks.

> Ah, the generalisation. Of course.

Is it though?

https://www.eatthis.com/most-popular-sodas/

Hawaii residents like to cool off with a classic drink! Diet Coke is a
mainstay among popular sodas, so it's no surprise that it's the
most-searched beverage in multiple states.

https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nati...in-every-state

Hawaii - Hawaiian Sun
OK, so it's not technically a real soft-drink since it's not carbonated.
But ask any Hawaiian what their favorite beverage is, and they'll tell
you it's Pass-O-Guava (or POG) nectar. And Hawaiian Sun makes the best.

But as to who really slugs the soda pops down, it's not Hawaii:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...soda/26498271/

1. Mississippi

> Pct. consuming soda and/or fruit drinks daily: 41.4%
> Obesity rate: 35.1%
> Pct. consuming vegetables less than daily: 23.2%
> Median household income: $37,963

More than 41% of Mississippi adults reported more-than-daily consumption
of regular soda or fruit drinks, by far the highest percentage among
states reviewed. Nearly 51% reported less-than-daily fruit consumption,
and more than 32% reported less-than-daily vegetable consumption, both
some of the highest such rates. Relatively unhealthy diets in
Mississippi are partly the result of poor socioeconomic factors, which
can contribute to limited access to healthy food sources as well as
lower health literacy levels among the population. Mississippi had the
nation's lowest median household income and the nation's highest poverty
rate at $37,963 and 24%, respectively.

https://247wallst.com/special-report...e-most-soda/6/

Not even in the top 1/2 of states consuming pops!

That would make it an inaccurate "generaliZation..."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 May 2021 14:15:28 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2021-05-31 1:24 p.m., dsi1 wrote:

>>> The U.S. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine determined that an adequate daily fluid intake is: About 15.5 cups (3.7 liters) of fluids a day for men.
>>>
>>> These recommendations cover fluids from water, other beverages and food. About 20% of daily fluid intake usually comes from food and the rest from drinks.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> I drink less than 2 cups of water a day. That's an adequate level for me. 3.7 L of water might just kill me.
>>

>I am on a reduced fluid regimen. I am supposed to limit myself to 1 1/2
>to 2 liters of fluid per day. That includes water, tea, coffee, juice
>and any other beverages, plus the milk I have in cereal, high water
>content fruit, yogurt etc. I gauge it relatively carefully but
>sometimes I have to really watch it.

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 5/31/2021 1:28 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> I drink less than 2 cups of water a day. That's an adequate level for me. 3.7 L of water might just kill me.

>> If 2 cups were adequate, your dentist wouldn't recommend you drink more.
>>
>> Increase slowly until you're consuming the recommended amount.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>Or he could just ignore the dentist's advice and wind up losing his teeth.
>
>Jill

The other Dave Smith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 May 2021 10:28:07 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 1:25:01 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:

>> > The U.S. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine determined that an adequate daily fluid intake is: About 15.5 cups (3.7 liters) of fluids a day for men.
>> >
>> > These recommendations cover fluids from water, other beverages and food. About 20% of daily fluid intake usually comes from food and the rest from drinks.
>> >
>> > Cindy Hamilton

>> I drink less than 2 cups of water a day. That's an adequate level for me. 3.7 L of water might just kill me.

>If 2 cups were adequate, your dentist wouldn't recommend you drink more.
>
>Increase slowly until you're consuming the recommended amount.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 May 2021 10:24:57 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 10:25:35 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 12:58:36 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> > My dentist was recommending that I drink more water. He rattled off some ridiculous number of
>> > glasses of water that I should drink every day. I think he might be trying to poison me.

>> The U.S. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine determined that an adequate daily fluid intake is: About 15.5 cups (3.7 liters) of fluids a day for men.
>>
>> These recommendations cover fluids from water, other beverages and food. About 20% of daily fluid intake usually comes from food and the rest from drinks.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

>I drink less than 2 cups of water a day. That's an adequate level for me. 3.7 L of water might just kill me.

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 9:17:56 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 31 May 2021 12:01:32 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:

> >> I am on a reduced fluid regimen. I am supposed to limit myself to 1 1/2
> >> to 2 liters of fluid per day. That includes water, tea, coffee, juice
> >> and any other beverages, plus the milk I have in cereal, high water
> >> content fruit, yogurt etc. I gauge it relatively carefully but
> >> sometimes I have to really watch it.

> >Back in the day, I'd drink a lot of soft drinks.

> YOU drank a lot of soft drinks. Ok.
> > The Hawaiians love soft drinks.

> Ah, the generalisation. Of course.

I could tell you that what you say about Canadians and the Canadian way of life were mostly generalizations and therefor not valid. Unfortunately, I not arrogant nor racist enough.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/31/2021 3:12 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 9:17:56 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On Mon, 31 May 2021 12:01:32 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>>> Back in the day, I'd drink a lot of soft drinks.

>> YOU drank a lot of soft drinks. Ok.
>>> The Hawaiians love soft drinks.

>> Ah, the generalisation. Of course.

> I could tell you that what you say about Canadians and the Canadian way of life were mostly generalizations and therefor not valid. Unfortunately, I not arrogant nor racist enough.

And plus you'd be waging a war of microaggression on a Canuck, which
would be turnabout most fowl, lol...

;-)))
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 May 2021 14:12:34 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 9:17:56 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On Mon, 31 May 2021 12:01:32 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>> >Back in the day, I'd drink a lot of soft drinks.

>> YOU drank a lot of soft drinks. Ok.
>> > The Hawaiians love soft drinks.

>> Ah, the generalisation. Of course.

>I could tell you that what you say about Canadians and the Canadian way of life were mostly generalizations and therefor not valid. Unfortunately, I not arrogant nor racist enough.

The other Dave Smith.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 10:24:13 AM UTC-10, wolfy's new skateboard wrote:
> On 5/31/2021 1:17 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> > On Mon, 31 May 2021 12:01:32 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > > wrote:

> >> Back in the day, I'd drink a lot of soft drinks.

> > YOU drank a lot of soft drinks. Ok.
> >
> >> The Hawaiians love soft drinks.

> > Ah, the generalisation. Of course.
> >

> Is it though?
>
> https://www.eatthis.com/most-popular-sodas/
>
> Hawaii residents like to cool off with a classic drink! Diet Coke is a
> mainstay among popular sodas, so it's no surprise that it's the
> most-searched beverage in multiple states.
>
> https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nati...in-every-state
>
> Hawaii - Hawaiian Sun
> OK, so it's not technically a real soft-drink since it's not carbonated.
> But ask any Hawaiian what their favorite beverage is, and they'll tell
> you it's Pass-O-Guava (or POG) nectar. And Hawaiian Sun makes the best.
>
> But as to who really slugs the soda pops down, it's not Hawaii:
>
> https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...soda/26498271/
>
> 1. Mississippi
>
> > Pct. consuming soda and/or fruit drinks daily: 41.4%
> > Obesity rate: 35.1%
> > Pct. consuming vegetables less than daily: 23.2%
> > Median household income: $37,963

> More than 41% of Mississippi adults reported more-than-daily consumption
> of regular soda or fruit drinks, by far the highest percentage among
> states reviewed. Nearly 51% reported less-than-daily fruit consumption,
> and more than 32% reported less-than-daily vegetable consumption, both
> some of the highest such rates. Relatively unhealthy diets in
> Mississippi are partly the result of poor socioeconomic factors, which
> can contribute to limited access to healthy food sources as well as
> lower health literacy levels among the population. Mississippi had the
> nation's lowest median household income and the nation's highest poverty
> rate at $37,963 and 24%, respectively.
>

> https://247wallst.com/special-report...e-most-soda/6/
>
> Not even in the top 1/2 of states consuming pops!
>
> That would make it an inaccurate "generaliZation..."

That Joe vs the Volcano flick made fun of the Pacific people's fondness for sweet drinks. I thought that was funny as shit because behind the best stereotypical ethnic joke is always a grain of truth. Orange soda isn't really all that popular on this rock, fruit punch is. Fruit punch is the favorite drink of the kids of Hawaii - a lot of adults too. I was kind of mind-blowing to find out that I couldn't order fruit punch at McDonald's on the mainland. What the heck are the kids supposed to drink? How the heck can adults from Hawaii make "sprunch" without fruit punch? That's Sprite and fruit punch mixed together - and it's delicious!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 May 2021 14:26:39 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 10:24:13 AM UTC-10, wolfy's new skateboard wrote:
>> On 5/31/2021 1:17 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> > On Mon, 31 May 2021 12:01:32 -0700 (PDT), dsi1

>> > YOU drank a lot of soft drinks. Ok.

>> > Ah, the generalisation. Of course.
>> >

>> Is it though?
>>
>> https://www.eatthis.com/most-popular-sodas/
>>
>> Hawaii residents like to cool off with a classic drink! Diet Coke is a
>> mainstay among popular sodas, so it's no surprise that it's the
>> most-searched beverage in multiple states.
>>
>> https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nati...in-every-state
>>
>> Hawaii - Hawaiian Sun
>> OK, so it's not technically a real soft-drink since it's not carbonated.
>> But ask any Hawaiian what their favorite beverage is, and they'll tell
>> you it's Pass-O-Guava (or POG) nectar. And Hawaiian Sun makes the best.
>>
>> But as to who really slugs the soda pops down, it's not Hawaii:
>>
>> https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...soda/26498271/
>>
>> 1. Mississippi
>>
>> > Pct. consuming soda and/or fruit drinks daily: 41.4%
>> > Obesity rate: 35.1%
>> > Pct. consuming vegetables less than daily: 23.2%
>> > Median household income: $37,963

>> More than 41% of Mississippi adults reported more-than-daily consumption
>> of regular soda or fruit drinks, by far the highest percentage among
>> states reviewed. Nearly 51% reported less-than-daily fruit consumption,
>> and more than 32% reported less-than-daily vegetable consumption, both
>> some of the highest such rates. Relatively unhealthy diets in
>> Mississippi are partly the result of poor socioeconomic factors, which
>> can contribute to limited access to healthy food sources as well as
>> lower health literacy levels among the population. Mississippi had the
>> nation's lowest median household income and the nation's highest poverty
>> rate at $37,963 and 24%, respectively.
>>

>> https://247wallst.com/special-report...e-most-soda/6/
>>
>> Not even in the top 1/2 of states consuming pops!
>>
>> That would make it an inaccurate "generaliZation..."

>That Joe vs the Volcano flick made fun of the Pacific people's fondness for sweet drinks. I thought that was funny as shit because behind the best stereotypical ethnic joke is always a grain of truth. Orange soda isn't really all that popular on this rock, fruit punch is. Fruit punch is the favorite drink of the kids of Hawaii - a lot of adults too. I was kind of mind-blowing to find out that I couldn't order fruit punch at McDonald's on the mainland. What the heck are the kids supposed to drink? How the heck can adults from Hawaii make "sprunch" without fruit punch? That's Sprite and fruit punch mixed together - and it's delicious!

The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/31/2021 3:26 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 10:24:13 AM UTC-10, wolfy's new skateboard wrote:
>> On 5/31/2021 1:17 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>> On Mon, 31 May 2021 12:01:32 -0700 (PDT), dsi1

>>> YOU drank a lot of soft drinks. Ok.

>>> Ah, the generalisation. Of course.
>>>

>> Is it though?
>>
>> https://www.eatthis.com/most-popular-sodas/
>>
>> Hawaii residents like to cool off with a classic drink! Diet Coke is a
>> mainstay among popular sodas, so it's no surprise that it's the
>> most-searched beverage in multiple states.
>>
>> https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nati...in-every-state
>>
>> Hawaii - Hawaiian Sun
>> OK, so it's not technically a real soft-drink since it's not carbonated.
>> But ask any Hawaiian what their favorite beverage is, and they'll tell
>> you it's Pass-O-Guava (or POG) nectar. And Hawaiian Sun makes the best.
>>
>> But as to who really slugs the soda pops down, it's not Hawaii:
>>
>> https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...soda/26498271/
>>
>> 1. Mississippi
>>
>>> Pct. consuming soda and/or fruit drinks daily: 41.4%
>>> Obesity rate: 35.1%
>>> Pct. consuming vegetables less than daily: 23.2%
>>> Median household income: $37,963

>> More than 41% of Mississippi adults reported more-than-daily consumption
>> of regular soda or fruit drinks, by far the highest percentage among
>> states reviewed. Nearly 51% reported less-than-daily fruit consumption,
>> and more than 32% reported less-than-daily vegetable consumption, both
>> some of the highest such rates. Relatively unhealthy diets in
>> Mississippi are partly the result of poor socioeconomic factors, which
>> can contribute to limited access to healthy food sources as well as
>> lower health literacy levels among the population. Mississippi had the
>> nation's lowest median household income and the nation's highest poverty
>> rate at $37,963 and 24%, respectively.
>>

>> https://247wallst.com/special-report...e-most-soda/6/
>>
>> Not even in the top 1/2 of states consuming pops!
>>
>> That would make it an inaccurate "generaliZation..."

> That Joe vs the Volcano flick made fun of the Pacific people's fondness for sweet drinks. I thought that was funny as shit because behind the best stereotypical ethnic joke is always a grain of truth. Orange soda isn't really all that popular on this rock, fruit punch is. Fruit punch is the favorite drink of the kids of Hawaii - a lot of adults too. I was kind of mind-blowing to find out that I couldn't order fruit punch at McDonald's on the mainland. What the heck are the kids supposed to drink? How the heck can adults from Hawaii make "sprunch" without fruit punch? That's Sprite and fruit punch mixed together - and it's delicious!

That is troubling, I think though that with our open borders and hordes
of illegals all over the nation that the seat of power has shifted to
the Fanta line of soft drinks now.

They're not as authentic as Jarritos, but sugar is sugar at some point.

Here's my go to " personal punch" combination:

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/c3f...65a55fb.jp eg

+

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/f56...65ff958.jp eg

+

https://my247mart.com/411-tm_thickbo...ml-x-1-can.jpg

....All on tap at my local Mickey D's fountain.

I do a half and half with the Fanta and Sprite, then add a dash of Dr.
Pepper to finish.

No, it's not a Hawaiian Punch by any means, but that Tropical Sprite
with the strawberry Fanta is a wonderful blend. The Dr. Pepper adds just
a bit of tamarind-like kick to it.

enjoy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 May 2021 14:12:34 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 9:17:56 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

>> >Back in the day, I'd drink a lot of soft drinks.

>> YOU drank a lot of soft drinks. Ok.

>> > The Hawaiians love soft drinks.

>> Ah, the generalisation. Of course.

>I could tell you that what you say about Canadians and the Canadian way of life were mostly generalizations and therefor not valid. Unfortunately, I not arrogant nor racist enough.

I don't know anything about Canada or Canadians. The only time they
made the international news was about baby seals.

--
The other Dave Smith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Jun 2021 07:41:14 +1000, Dave Smith