Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default CRAYFISH?? CRAWFISH??

On Friday, May 24, 1996 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, rms wrote:
> "Carmen Z. Catoni" > wrote:
> >

> (...)
> > I had always heard of "Crayfish", which I found somewhat similar to what
> > is called Cigalas in Spain. Now I hear of "Crawfish". I've actually eaten
> > them in Key West,Fla., where they make them deliciously spicy.
> >
> > Are they the same crustacean spelled differently? Please, if someone
> > knows, please enlighten me. I like to know exactly what I eat, although,
> > either one is really very good.
> >
> > Thanks a lot.
> > Carmen
> >

> In europe there are primarily three varieties of crayfish:
> red-clawed crayfish, white-clawed crayfish, and the
> slender-clawed crayfish. In the US there is the native
> crawfish associated with des cajuns, you know "Suck the head...".
> There is a movement in the aquaculture industry here in the south
> to produce austrailian varieties, which can grow quite large.
> Marons (Sp?) , a .au red-claw and a blue-claw I think.
> You should see what they call a mud-bug in Queesland, quite
> odd looking.
> All cousins though. RMS

In 1985, I ate a half pound of mudbugs and sucked the heads on every
one of them, and washed it all down with Dixie beer. A Cajun (a New
Orleans punk rocker of Cajun ancestry) bestowed upon me the status
of Honorary Coon Ass. Nobody can take that away from me.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 May 2021 12:34:19 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons
> wrote:

>On Friday, May 24, 1996 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, rms wrote:
>> "Carmen Z. Catoni" > wrote:
>> >

>> (...)
>> > I had always heard of "Crayfish", which I found somewhat similar to what
>> > is called Cigalas in Spain. Now I hear of "Crawfish". I've actually eaten
>> > them in Key West,Fla., where they make them deliciously spicy.
>> >
>> > Are they the same crustacean spelled differently? Please, if someone
>> > knows, please enlighten me. I like to know exactly what I eat, although,
>> > either one is really very good.
>> >
>> > Thanks a lot.
>> > Carmen
>> >

>> In europe there are primarily three varieties of crayfish:
>> red-clawed crayfish, white-clawed crayfish, and the
>> slender-clawed crayfish. In the US there is the native
>> crawfish associated with des cajuns, you know "Suck the head...".
>> There is a movement in the aquaculture industry here in the south
>> to produce austrailian varieties, which can grow quite large.
>> Marons (Sp?) , a .au red-claw and a blue-claw I think.
>> You should see what they call a mud-bug in Queesland, quite
>> odd looking.
>> All cousins though. RMS
>>

>In 1985, I ate a half pound of mudbugs and sucked the heads on every
>one of them, and washed it all down with Dixie beer. A Cajun (a New
>Orleans punk rocker of Cajun ancestry) bestowed upon me the status
>of Honorary Coon Ass. Nobody can take that away from me.
>>

>--Bryan

This is a message from the other Dave Smith.