FoodBanter.com

-   -   Turn vanilla pudding into custard? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/453852-turn-vanilla-pudding-into.html)

Lenona 21-03-2021 01:13 AM

Turn vanilla pudding into custard?

Since I have some yellow cake mix, a can of chocolate frosting, and "cook and serve" vanilla pudding, I thought I'd make Boston Cream Pie. Only thing is, I suspect the pudding will be kind of bland, compared to the filling one usually gets in a store-bought BCP. (It might also be too thin.)

So, does anyone have any suggestions to make it taste more like custard? Of course, one thing I could do is use less milk than the pudding box suggests, but I wanted your suggestions too.

(I'm guessing that, even with "cook and serve" pudding, one does not want to add an egg! But if you've ever done that and had it work, let me know.)

Lenona.

[email protected][_2_] 21-03-2021 03:59 AM

On Saturday, March 20, 2021 at 8:13:03 PM UTC-5, Lenona wrote:

> Since I have some yellow cake mix, a can of chocolate frosting, and "cook and serve" vanilla pudding, I thought I'd make Boston Cream Pie. Only thing is, I suspect the pudding will be kind of bland, compared to the filling one usually gets in a store-bought BCP. (It might also be too thin.)
>
> So, does anyone have any suggestions to make it taste more like custard? Of course, one thing I could do is use less milk than the pudding box suggests, but I wanted your suggestions too.
>
> (I'm guessing that, even with "cook and serve" pudding, one does not want to add an egg! But if you've ever done that and had it work, let me know.)
>
> Lenona.

Good grief, why not make a decent one from scratch? What you are attempting
to concoct would not even be a poor example of Boston cream pie.

Lenona 21-03-2021 02:09 PM

Turn vanilla pudding into custard?

Believe me, if I hadn't found that frosting in the discount section, I wouldn't have considered it.

I suppose I really shouldn't buy mixes just because they're half off. Especially pudding. Or cake.

But I'm still curious to know if anyone's made that experiment with pudding mix. After, if there were an emergency that called for custard in a hurry and you didn't have time to make one from scratch (or run to the store for custard powder), what would you do?

Dave Smith[_1_] 21-03-2021 02:24 PM

On 2021-03-21 10:09 a.m., Lenona wrote:
> Believe me, if I hadn't found that frosting in the discount section, I wouldn't have considered it.
>
> I suppose I really shouldn't buy mixes just because they're half off. Especially pudding. Or cake.
>
> But I'm still curious to know if anyone's made that experiment with pudding mix. After, if there were an emergency that called for custard in a hurry and you didn't have time to make one from scratch (or run to the store for custard powder), what would you do?

Don't they all have to be cooked?
How about something like Bird's Custard mix?

Gary 21-03-2021 02:29 PM

On 3/21/2021 10:09 AM, Lenona wrote:
> Believe me, if I hadn't found that frosting in the discount section, I wouldn't have considered it.
>
> I suppose I really shouldn't buy mixes just because they're half off. Especially pudding. Or cake.
>
> But I'm still curious to know if anyone's made that experiment with pudding mix. After, if there were an emergency that called for custard in a hurry and you didn't have time to make one from scratch (or run to the store for custard powder), what would you do?

Eat a peanut butter sandwich and forget the cake until you can make it
right. :)

Janet 21-03-2021 02:31 PM

Turn vanilla pudding into custard?

In article >,
says...

> Believe me, if I hadn't found that frosting in the discount section, I wouldn't have considered it.
>
> I suppose I really shouldn't buy mixes just because they're half off. Especially pudding. Or cake.
>
> But I'm still curious to know if anyone's made that experiment with pudding mix. After, if there were an emergency that called for custard in a hurry and you didn't have time to make one from scratch (or run to the store for custard powder), what would you do?

I'd get out some eggs milk and sugar and make custard.

Janet UK

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 21-03-2021 02:33 PM

On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 10:24:35 AM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2021-03-21 10:09 a.m., Lenona wrote:
> > Believe me, if I hadn't found that frosting in the discount section, I wouldn't have considered it.
> >
> > I suppose I really shouldn't buy mixes just because they're half off. Especially pudding. Or cake.
> >
> > But I'm still curious to know if anyone's made that experiment with pudding mix. After, if there were an emergency that called for custard in a hurry and you didn't have time to make one from scratch (or run to the store for custard powder), what would you do?
> >

> Don't they all have to be cooked?

Jello Brand Instant Pudding doesn't have to be cooked.

Cindy Hamilton

Gary 21-03-2021 02:39 PM

On 3/21/2021 10:33 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 10:24:35 AM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2021-03-21 10:09 a.m., Lenona wrote:
>>> Believe me, if I hadn't found that frosting in the discount section, I wouldn't have considered it.
>>>
>>> I suppose I really shouldn't buy mixes just because they're half off. Especially pudding. Or cake.
>>>
>>> But I'm still curious to know if anyone's made that experiment with pudding mix. After, if there were an emergency that called for custard in a hurry and you didn't have time to make one from scratch (or run to the store for custard powder), what would you do?
>>>

>> Don't they all have to be cooked?

> Jello Brand Instant Pudding doesn't have to be cooked.

Have you ever used that? Not good at all.

US Janet[_2_] 21-03-2021 02:53 PM

Turn vanilla pudding into custard?

On Sat, 20 Mar 2021 18:13:00 -0700 (PDT), Lenona >
wrote:

>Since I have some yellow cake mix, a can of chocolate frosting, and "cook and serve" vanilla pudding, I thought I'd make Boston Cream Pie. Only thing is, I suspect the pudding will be kind of bland, compared to the filling one usually gets in a store-bought BCP. (It might also be too thin.)
>
>So, does anyone have any suggestions to make it taste more like custard? Of course, one thing I could do is use less milk than the pudding box suggests, but I wanted your suggestions too.
>
>(I'm guessing that, even with "cook and serve" pudding, one does not want to add an egg! But if you've ever done that and had it work, let me know.)
>

>Lenona.

It sticks in my head that the instant pudding will weep in that kind
of situation. That's from some vague thought way back in my youth --
so don't trust me on that.
Janet US

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 21-03-2021 03:21 PM

On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 10:39:28 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> On 3/21/2021 10:33 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> Don't they all have to be cooked?

> > Jello Brand Instant Pudding doesn't have to be cooked.

> Have you ever used that? Not good at all.

I'm not sure. I may have used it when I was a kid. Nowadays if I wanted
pudding, I'd make it from scratch. It's not difficult. I'd have to get some
cocoa, though. All I have on hand is semisweet chocolate.

Cindy Hamilton

Boron Elgar[_1_] 21-03-2021 03:23 PM

Turn vanilla pudding into custard?

On Sun, 21 Mar 2021 08:53:14 -0600, US Janet >
wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Mar 2021 18:13:00 -0700 (PDT), Lenona >
>wrote:
>
>>Since I have some yellow cake mix, a can of chocolate frosting, and "cook and serve" vanilla pudding, I thought I'd make Boston Cream Pie. Only thing is, I suspect the pudding will be kind of bland, compared to the filling one usually gets in a store-bought BCP. (It might also be too thin.)
>>
>>So, does anyone have any suggestions to make it taste more like custard? Of course, one thing I could do is use less milk than the pudding box suggests, but I wanted your suggestions too.
>>
>>(I'm guessing that, even with "cook and serve" pudding, one does not want to add an egg! But if you've ever done that and had it work, let me know.)
>>

>>Lenona.

>It sticks in my head that the instant pudding will weep in that kind
>of situation. That's from some vague thought way back in my youth --
>so don't trust me on that.
>Janet US

Boston cream pie requires a pastry cream to set up properly and help
that filling stay in place in between the layers

A favorite variation, with an orange twist and multi-layers. Garten's
recipes have never failed me and chocolate and orange is a favorite
combo.

I change out the kind of chocolate at times, though, and always have a
jar of instant Medaglia d'Oro in the freezer. I kept in her brand
recommendations in the cut & paste below, so all could be seen.

Alas, it makes too much cake for us these days. Maybe when things calm
down and there are dinner parties and larger gatherings ahead, it will

https://barefootcontessa.com/recipes/boston-cream-pie

for the cake:

¾ cup whole milk
6 tablespoons (¾ stick) unsalted butter
1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
½ teaspoon grated orange zest
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
1½ teaspoons kosher salt
3 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
1½ cups sugar
for the soak:

¹/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
¹/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon Grand Marnier

for the chocolate glaze:

¾ cup heavy cream
1¼ cups semisweet chocolate chips, such as Nestlé’s (7½ ounces)
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, such as Lindt, broken in pieces
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ teaspoon instant coffee granules, such as Nescafé

Grand Marnier Pastry Cream (recipe follows)

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Butter two 9-inch round baking pans,
line them with parchment paper, butter and flour the pans, and tap out
the excess flour. Set aside.

For the cake, scald the milk and butter in a small saucepan over
medium heat (see note). Off the heat, add the vanilla and orange zest,
cover the pan, and set aside. In a small bowl, sift together the
flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment,
beat the eggs and sugar on medium-high speed for 4 minutes, until
thick and light yellow and the mixture falls back on itself in a
ribbon. By hand, first whisk in the warm milk mixture and then slowly
whisk in the flour mixture. Don’t overmix! Pour the batter evenly into
the prepared pans. Bake for 22 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick comes
out clean. Allow the cakes to cool in the pans for 15 minutes, then
turn them out onto a baking rack, flipping them so the top sides are
up. Cool to room temperature.

For the soak, combine the orange juice and sugar in a small (8-inch)
sauté pan and heat until the sugar dissolves. Off the heat, add the
Grand Marnier and set aside.

For the chocolate glaze, combine the heavy cream, semisweet chocolate
chips, bittersweet chocolate, corn syrup, vanilla, and coffee in a
heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water. Stir occasionally
with a wooden spoon, just until the chocolates melt. Remove from the
heat and set aside for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until
the chocolate is thick enough to fall back on itself in a ribbon.

To assemble, cut both cakes in half horizontally. Place the bottom of
one cake on a flat plate, cut side up. Brush it with a third of the
soak. Spread a third of the Grand Marnier Pastry Cream on the cake.
Place the top of the first cake on top, cut side down, and repeat with
the soak and pastry cream. Place the bottom of the second cake on top,
cut side up. Repeat with the soak and pastry cream. Place the top of
the second cake on top, cut side down. Pour the ganache on the cake,
allowing it to drip down the sides. Set aside for one hour, until the
chocolate sets. Cut in wedges and serve.

Grand Marnier Pastry Cream (Makes enough for one 9-inch cake)

5 extra-large egg yolks, at room temperature
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup cornstarch
1½ cups whole milk
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1 tablespoon Grand Marnier
1 teaspoon Cognac or brandy
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Beat the egg yolks and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted
with the paddle attachment on medium-high speed for 4 minutes, until
very thick. Reduce the speed to low and add the cornstarch.

Meanwhile, scald the milk in a medium saucepan. With the mixer on low,
slowly pour the hot milk into the egg mixture. Pour the mixture back
into the saucepan and cook over medium-low heat for 5 to 7 minutes,
stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the mixture starts to
thicken. When the custard starts to clump on the bottom of the pan,
stir constantly with a whisk (don’t beat it!) to keep the custard
smooth.

Cook over low heat until the custard is very thick like pudding. If
you lift some custard with the whisk, it should fall back onto itself
in a ribbon. Off the heat, stir in the butter, heavy cream, Grand
Marnier, Cognac, and vanilla. Whisk until smooth and transfer to a
bowl. Cool for 15 minutes. Place plastic wrap directly on the custard
(not the bowl) and refrigerate until very cold.

NOTES:

To scald milk, heat it just below the boiling point—there will be
small bubbles around the edge of the milk. Don’t let it boil!

Don’t refrigerate the assembled cake because beads of condensation
will form on the chocolate.

MAKE AHEAD:

Prepare the cakes and pastry cream, wrap well, and refrigerate
separately. Prepare the chocolate glaze and assemble an hour before
serving.

US Janet[_2_] 21-03-2021 03:56 PM

Turn vanilla pudding into custard?

On Sun, 21 Mar 2021 11:23:11 -0400, Boron Elgar
> [...]

>smooth.
>
>Cook over low heat until the custard is very thick like pudding. If
>you lift some custard with the whisk, it should fall back onto itself
>in a ribbon. Off the heat, stir in the butter, heavy cream, Grand
>Marnier, Cognac, and vanilla. Whisk until smooth and transfer to a
>bowl. Cool for 15 minutes. Place plastic wrap directly on the custard
>(not the bowl) and refrigerate until very cold.
>
>NOTES:
>
>To scald milk, heat it just below the boiling point—there will be
>small bubbles around the edge of the milk. Don’t let it boil!
>
>Don’t refrigerate the assembled cake because beads of condensation
>will form on the chocolate.
>
>MAKE AHEAD:
>
>Prepare the cakes and pastry cream, wrap well, and refrigerate
>separately. Prepare the chocolate glaze and assemble an hour before

The recipe sounds tasty. However I don't bake anything anymore. The
results are just too plentiful for us
Janet US

[email protected][_2_] 21-03-2021 07:28 PM

On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 9:09:53 AM UTC-5, Lenona wrote:

> Believe me, if I hadn't found that frosting in the discount section, I wouldn't have considered it.

So, who held a gun to your head and made you buy the 'discount frosting'?

> I suppose I really shouldn't buy mixes just because they're half off. Especially pudding. Or cake.

If it's going to cause such a dilemma I'd steer clear of mixes if I were you.

> But I'm still curious to know if anyone's made that experiment with pudding mix. After, if there were an emergency that called for custard in a hurry and you didn't have time to make one from scratch (or run to the store for custard powder), what would you do?

Simple. I'd not make a dessert that called for a custard if I didn't have the correct ingredients
to make one. Just make the damn cake and slap that discount frosting on top and be done
with it.

Why you always imagine these predicaments or get yourself into them is a mystery
to me. Have you considered taking a 7th grade home economics class?

GM 21-03-2021 07:41 PM

On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 2:28:44 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 9:09:53 AM UTC-5, Lenona wrote:
> >
> > Believe me, if I hadn't found that frosting in the discount section, I wouldn't have considered it.
> >

> So, who held a gun to your head and made you buy the 'discount frosting'?
> >
> > I suppose I really shouldn't buy mixes just because they're half off. Especially pudding. Or cake.
> >

> If it's going to cause such a dilemma I'd steer clear of mixes if I were you.
> >
> > But I'm still curious to know if anyone's made that experiment with pudding mix. After, if there were an emergency that called for custard in a hurry and you didn't have time to make one from scratch (or run to the store for custard powder), what would you do?
> >

> Simple. I'd not make a dessert that called for a custard if I didn't have the correct ingredients
> to make one. Just make the damn cake and slap that discount frosting on top and be done
> with it.
>
> Why you always imagine these predicaments or get yourself into them is a mystery
> to me. Have you considered taking a 7th grade home economics class?

Lol...

--
Best
Greg

Dave Smith[_1_] 21-03-2021 08:59 PM

On 2021-03-21 11:21 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 10:39:28 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> On 3/21/2021 10:33 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Jello Brand Instant Pudding doesn't have to be cooked.

>> Have you ever used that? Not good at all.

> I'm not sure. I may have used it when I was a kid. Nowadays if I wanted
> pudding, I'd make it from scratch. It's not difficult. I'd have to get some
> cocoa, though. All I have on hand is semisweet chocolate.

Instant pudding is pretty easy to make. Add milk and beat it until is
starts to set. It's not very good. The cooked pudding mixes aren't much
better and you still have to add the expensive ingredients, the eggs and
the milk. All you need is corn starch, sugar, milk and the flavouring,
vanilla or chocolate. For butterscotch you use brown sugar instead of
white. It takes only a few minutes to mix up the ingredients and bring
it to a boil.

Bruce[_29_] 21-03-2021 09:34 PM

Turn vanilla pudding into custard?

On Sun, 21 Mar 2021 16:59:33 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2021-03-21 11:21 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Have you ever used that? Not good at all.

>> I'm not sure. I may have used it when I was a kid. Nowadays if I wanted
>> pudding, I'd make it from scratch. It's not difficult. I'd have to get some
>> cocoa, though. All I have on hand is semisweet chocolate.
>>

>Instant pudding is pretty easy to make.

That's why it exists.

--
The real Bruce posts with Eternal September

Boron Elgar[_1_] 21-03-2021 11:23 PM

Turn vanilla pudding into custard?

On Sun, 21 Mar 2021 09:56:12 -0600, US Janet >
wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Mar 2021 11:23:11 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:
>

>>Alas, it makes too much cake for us these days. Maybe when things calm
>>down and there are dinner parties and larger gatherings ahead, it will
>>
>>https://barefootcontessa.com/recipes/boston-cream-pie
>>

>The recipe sounds tasty. However I don't bake anything anymore. The
>results are just too plentiful for us
>Janet US

I freeze things. Even a 9" square pan of brownies is too much for us
to go through.

Damned shame, too, I used to love eating the stuff I baked.

Lenona 22-03-2021 01:28 AM

On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 10:53:19 AM UTC-4, US Janet wrote:

> It sticks in my head that the instant pudding will weep in that kind
> of situation.

It's NOT instant. I spelled that out.

Lenona 22-03-2021 01:49 AM

On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 3:28:44 PM UTC-4, itsjoannotjoann wrote:

> Why you always imagine these predicaments or get yourself into them is a mystery
> to me. Have you considered taking a 7th grade home economics class?

Why you think it's polite to be patronizing is a mystery to ME.

I never considered making a BCP in any non-traditional way until I suddenly realized I had all the main "ingredients" in the kitchen. I doubt that either the gold cake or the frosting won't "work." So that just leaves the pudding. Besides, many years ago, when I got a copy of White Trash Cooking (which relies on processed foods pretty often), while it's true that some recipes looked gross, most of them actually work quite well, which is likely why there was a second cookbook! So I figured this could work, too. What's wrong with experimenting?

And, a quarter-century ago, I wrote a long list of sales prices for ingredients at my local supermarket (with guidance from The Complete Tightwad Gazette) but I haven't looked at the list in years. Why? Because I have it pretty much memorized, despite the rises in prices. If I took out what I spend on junk food (anything sugary, that is, including most cereals and tomato soup), my monthly food budget would be well below $100. Only diehard vegans in my neighborhood MIGHT spend less than I do, since they don't always look at prices.

Bottom line: Most of the time, I really don't need help making good use of anything I have. But we all need tips occasionally, thank you.

Lenona 22-03-2021 01:51 AM

On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 4:59:39 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:

The cooked pudding mixes aren't much
> better and you still have to add the expensive ingredients, the eggs and
> the milk.

The cook-and-serve pudding mix I have does not call for eggs. I doubt I've ever seen one that did.

Bruce[_29_] 22-03-2021 02:05 AM

Turn vanilla pudding into custard?

On Sun, 21 Mar 2021 18:49:16 -0700 (PDT), Lenona >
wrote:

>On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 3:28:44 PM UTC-4, itsjoannotjoann wrote:
>
>> Why you always imagine these predicaments or get yourself into them is a mystery
>> to me. Have you considered taking a 7th grade home economics class?

>Why you think it's polite to be patronizing is a mystery to ME.

"When people treat you like a dog, you have to be a bigger dog."
(Rutger Hauer about Sylvester Stallone)

--
The real Bruce posts with Eternal September

Dave Smith[_1_] 22-03-2021 02:15 AM

On 2021-03-21 9:51 p.m., Lenona wrote:
> On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 4:59:39 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
>
> The cooked pudding mixes aren't much
>> better and you still have to add the expensive ingredients, the eggs and
>> the milk.

> The cook-and-serve pudding mix I have does not call for eggs. I doubt I've ever seen one that did.

They may have changed since the last time I bought one. I was never
impressed with them, and then I found that the scratch puddings were
infinitely better, At that time you had to add milk and an egg. I was
paying quite a bit of money for what amounted to a little cornstarch and
sugar.

Graham 22-03-2021 03:50 AM

On 2021-03-21 5:23 p.m., Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Mar 2021 09:56:12 -0600, US Janet >
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 21 Mar 2021 11:23:11 -0400, Boron Elgar
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> Alas, it makes too much cake for us these days. Maybe when things calm
>>> down and there are dinner parties and larger gatherings ahead, it will
>>>
>>> https://barefootcontessa.com/recipes/boston-cream-pie
>>>

>> The recipe sounds tasty. However I don't bake anything anymore. The
>> results are just too plentiful for us
>> Janet US

> I freeze things. Even a 9" square pan of brownies is too much for us
> to go through.
>
> Damned shame, too, I used to love eating the stuff I baked.

I still do but, increasingly, it doesn't like me!

Graham 22-03-2021 03:54 AM

On 2021-03-21 9:21 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 10:39:28 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:

>>> Jello Brand Instant Pudding doesn't have to be cooked.

>> Have you ever used that? Not good at all.

> I'm not sure. I may have used it when I was a kid. Nowadays if I wanted
> pudding, I'd make it from scratch. It's not difficult. I'd have to get some
> cocoa, though. All I have on hand is semisweet chocolate.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

My maternal grandmother was not much of a cook but I remember her making
a milk-based jello type pudding, usually at the w/e when there would be
visitors. I could never understand why she made it as very little of it
was ever eaten.

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 22-03-2021 09:43 AM

On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 10:09:53 AM UTC-4, Lenona wrote:
> Believe me, if I hadn't found that frosting in the discount section, I wouldn't have considered it.

Crap on sale is still crap.

> I suppose I really shouldn't buy mixes just because they're half off. Especially pudding. Or cake.

Take your own good advice next time you're in the grocery store. Trust your
instincts.

> But I'm still curious to know if anyone's made that experiment with pudding mix. After, if there were an emergency that called for custard in a hurry and you didn't have time to make one from scratch (or run to the store for custard powder), what would you do?

An emergency like the house is burning down? Emergencies don't call for
custard in a hurry. Custard is always optional.

Cindy Hamilton

Gary 22-03-2021 02:54 PM

Dave Smith wrote:
> Instant pudding is pretty easy to make.

Good enough pudding is easy to buy.
Snack Pak sells 4 individual cups for $1.00
Good enough for me when in the rare mood.

I have some in the back of my fridge that are scary old...bought many
years ago. Ok, I just looked. "Best by Feb 2020." I'm surprised
because I did buy them 3-4 years ago.

I do know someone that would probably toss them but I won't. ;)

[email protected][_2_] 22-03-2021 04:16 PM

On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 8:49:20 PM UTC-5, Lenona wrote:

> On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 3:28:44 PM UTC-4, itsjoannotjoann wrote:
>
> > Why you always imagine these predicaments or get yourself into them is a mystery
> > to me. Have you considered taking a 7th grade home economics class?
> >

> Why you think it's polite to be patronizing is a mystery to ME.

Because you're always asking for help with the simplest of recipes.

> I never considered making a BCP in any non-traditional way until I suddenly realized I had all the main "ingredients" in the kitchen. I doubt that either the gold cake or the frosting won't "work." So that just leaves the pudding. Besides, many years ago, when I got a copy of White Trash Cooking (which relies on processed foods pretty often), while it's true that some recipes looked gross, most of them actually work quite well, which is likely why there was a second cookbook! So I figured this could work, too. What's wrong with experimenting?

There's nothing wrong with experimenting. But you don't have the ingredients for a
Boston cream pie. You were hoping you could magically turn a cake mix, boxed
pudding, and a can of discount frosting into it. What you have is the ingredients
for a boxed cake mix. Period.

> And, a quarter-century ago, I wrote a long list of sales prices for ingredients at my local supermarket (with guidance from The Complete Tightwad Gazette) but I haven't looked at the list in years. Why? Because I have it pretty much memorized, despite the rises in prices. If I took out what I spend on junk food (anything sugary, that is, including most cereals and tomato soup), my monthly food budget would be well below $100. Only diehard vegans in my neighborhood MIGHT spend less than I do, since they don't always look at prices.

What in sam hill your 25-year-old list has to do with your hoped for concoction is
a mystery that only you are interested in.

> Bottom line: Most of the time, I really don't need help making good use of anything I have. But we all need tips occasionally, thank you.

Bottom line: You're always asking for help with something to you are trying to create
with the wrong ingredients.

Bruce[_29_] 22-03-2021 09:00 PM

On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 10:54:23 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
>> Instant pudding is pretty easy to make.

>Good enough pudding is easy to buy.

Good enough?

>Snack Pak sells 4 individual cups for $1.00

Ah, cheap enough.

--
The real Bruce posts with Eternal September

Bruce[_29_] 22-03-2021 09:11 PM

Lenona 23-03-2021 01:13 AM

On Monday, March 22, 2021 at 12:16:49 PM UTC-4, itsjoannotjoann wrote:

> > Why you think it's polite to be patronizing is a mystery to ME.
> >

> Because you're always asking for help with the simplest of recipes.

You aren't here and you don't know all the circumstances. Being patronizing is still rude.

Lenona 23-03-2021 01:15 AM

Turn vanilla pudding into custard?

On Monday, March 22, 2021 at 12:16:49 PM UTC-4, itsjoannotjoann wrote:

> What in sam hill your 25-year-old list has to do with your hoped for concoction is
> a mystery that only you are interested in.

Don't play dumb. You know perfectly well I was referring to my economic skills - as you were, beforehand.

[email protected][_2_] 23-03-2021 05:14 AM

On Monday, March 22, 2021 at 8:13:55 PM UTC-5, Lenona wrote:

> On Monday, March 22, 2021 at 12:16:49 PM UTC-4, itsjoannotjoann wrote:
>
> > > Why you think it's polite to be patronizing is a mystery to ME.
> > >

> > Because you're always asking for help with the simplest of recipes.

> You aren't here and you don't know all the circumstances. Being patronizing is still rude.

I read all your posts concerning food and you're always needing advice and tips
for the simplest of dishes. Take it however you like, no concern of mine how
you feel about my comments.

[email protected][_2_] 23-03-2021 05:18 AM

On Monday, March 22, 2021 at 8:15:57 PM UTC-5, Lenona wrote:

> On Monday, March 22, 2021 at 12:16:49 PM UTC-4, itsjoannotjoann wrote:
>
> > What in sam hill your 25-year-old list has to do with your hoped for concoction is
> > a mystery that only you are interested in.

> Don't play dumb. You know perfectly well I was referring to my economic skills - as you were, beforehand.

Personally, I don't think you have any economic skills if you buy marked down
frosting, a cake mix, and a box of pudding and attempt to make a classic
dessert out of that 'bargain' but get frustrated when you're not given any magic
instructions to complete it. But don't let me stop you from beating this horse
into the ground.

Bruce[_29_] 23-03-2021 07:15 AM

Turn vanilla pudding into custard?

On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 18:13:52 -0700 (PDT), Lenona >
wrote:

>On Monday, March 22, 2021 at 12:16:49 PM UTC-4, itsjoannotjoann wrote:
>
>> > Why you think it's polite to be patronizing is a mystery to ME.
>> >

>> Because you're always asking for help with the simplest of recipes.

>You aren't here and you don't know all the circumstances. Being patronizing is still rude.

You ask for, and deserve much more criticism than that.

--
The real Bruce posts with Eternal September

Lenona 23-03-2021 11:37 AM

Turn vanilla pudding into custard?

Where else is one supposed to ask questions when Google isn't helpful? Jeez.

Boron Elgar[_1_] 23-03-2021 12:15 PM

Turn vanilla pudding into custard?

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 04:37:02 -0700 (PDT), Lenona >
wrote:

> Where else is one supposed to ask questions when Google isn't helpful? Jeez.

If you are reduced to using an unsuccessful Google search or RFC,
you've got a serious problem.

Dave Smith[_1_] 23-03-2021 01:19 PM

On 2021-03-23 1:14 a.m., wrote:
> On Monday, March 22, 2021 at 8:13:55 PM UTC-5, Lenona wrote:

>> You aren't here and you don't know all the circumstances. Being patronizing is still rude.
>>

> I read all your posts concerning food and you're always needing advice and tips
> for the simplest of dishes. Take it however you like, no concern of mine how
> you feel about my comments.

It is a nice change from her posting a link to click bait.

Lenona 23-03-2021 01:35 PM

On Tuesday, March 23, 2021 at 8:15:50 AM UTC-4, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 04:37:02 -0700 (PDT), Lenona
> wrote:
> > Where else is one supposed to ask questions when Google isn't helpful? Jeez.

> If you are reduced to using an unsuccessful Google search or RFC,
> you've got a serious problem.

Meaning?

After all, there's always a first time when it comes to using a particular recipe - or measuring something. For example, I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) that Europeans typically use a scale when measuring small amounts.. So I might make mistakes doing that the first time, if I had to. Though I'm sure Google would be helpful in that case.

But...here's an example of how things can get complicated, when you shop.

From issue #33 of the Tightwad Gazette:

"16 fl. oz. of water equals 16 oz. net wt. But 16 fl.oz. of oil,
syrup, honey and molasses, equals 14, 20, 22, and 23 oz. net wt.,
respectively. When comparing same-sized containers of these items,
figure fl. oz. equals 114%, 80%, 73% and 70% of the net wt. price,
respectively."

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] 23-03-2021 02:11 PM

On Tuesday, March 23, 2021 at 9:35:47 AM UTC-4, Lenona wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 23, 2021 at 8:15:50 AM UTC-4, Boron Elgar wrote:
> > On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 04:37:02 -0700 (PDT), Lenona
> > wrote:
> > > Where else is one supposed to ask questions when Google isn't helpful? Jeez.

> > If you are reduced to using an unsuccessful Google search or RFC,
> > you've got a serious problem.

> Meaning?
>
> After all, there's always a first time when it comes to using a particular recipe - or measuring something. For example, I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) that Europeans typically use a scale when measuring small amounts. So I might make mistakes doing that the first time, if I had to. Though I'm sure Google would be helpful in that case.
>
> But...here's an example of how things can get complicated, when you shop.
>
> From issue #33 of the Tightwad Gazette:
>
> "16 fl. oz. of water equals 16 oz. net wt. But 16 fl.oz. of oil,
> syrup, honey and molasses, equals 14, 20, 22, and 23 oz. net wt.,
> respectively. When comparing same-sized containers of these items,
> figure fl. oz. equals 114%, 80%, 73% and 70% of the net wt. price,
> respectively."

And if you were comparing the price of oil to the price of molasses,
it might matter. But why would you do that?

Cindy Hamilton

Lenona 23-03-2021 02:23 PM

On Tuesday, March 23, 2021 at 10:11:04 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> And if you were comparing the price of oil to the price of molasses,
> it might matter. But why would you do that?

No, it's about recognizing what's a bargain and what isn't.

Here's the first half of that article, from a reader in Alice, Texas:

"I made a discovery. I purchased a jar of generic honey that read '32 oz. net weight.' I put the honey in a syrup bottle that read '24 fluid ounces.' I discovered that 32 ounces net weight of honey fits in a bottle that holds 24 fluid ounces of syrup. This showed me that the price of the generic honey was average and I made no savings. Read the labels and know the measurements."

Lenona.