Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Happy New Year (I'm back sort of)

Hi All. Besst wishes to all for the coming year!

I'm still strugging with pulling specific data from a cloned hard
drive.

The aps on my old computer were old enough (although continually
updated) that the new aps I have downloaded don't really work well
together. My financial software is giving me fits. So today I am
just going to start new (1/1/2021) on my new computer.

I've finally taken the time to install so I can read rec.food.cooking.
Like everything else I needed my password for the entities that allow
me to access newsgroups. Then I had to get a special code from the
source to allow me to proceed with a download.

Anyway, I am back with you on my old computer. I don't know about
what will happen with my new computer. I want to start clean there so
don't want to sync.

Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 01 Jan 2021 10:22:00 -0700, US Janet wrote:

> Hi All. Besst wishes to all for the coming year!
>
> I'm still strugging with pulling specific data from a cloned hard
> drive.
>
> The aps on my old computer were old enough (although continually
> updated) that the new aps I have downloaded don't really work well
> together. My financial software is giving me fits. So today I am
> just going to start new (1/1/2021) on my new computer.
>
> I've finally taken the time to install so I can read rec.food.cooking.
> Like everything else I needed my password for the entities that allow
> me to access newsgroups. Then I had to get a special code from the
> source to allow me to proceed with a download.
>
> Anyway, I am back with you on my old computer. I don't know about
> what will happen with my new computer. I want to start clean there so
> don't want to sync.
>
> Janet US

Welcome back! We've missed you!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 1, 2021 at 11:22:10 AM UTC-6, US Janet wrote:
> Hi All. Besst wishes to all for the coming year!
>
> I'm still strugging with pulling specific data from a cloned hard
> drive.
>
> The aps on my old computer were old enough (although continually
> updated) that the new aps I have downloaded don't really work well
> together. My financial software is giving me fits. So today I am
> just going to start new (1/1/2021) on my new computer.
>
> I've finally taken the time to install so I can read rec.food.cooking.
> Like everything else I needed my password for the entities that allow
> me to access newsgroups. Then I had to get a special code from the
> source to allow me to proceed with a download.
>
> Anyway, I am back with you on my old computer. I don't know about
> what will happen with my new computer. I want to start clean there so
> don't want to sync.
>
> Janet US

Happy New Year, Janet!

John Kuthe, RN, BSN...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/1/2021 12:23 PM, Graham wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Jan 2021 10:22:00 -0700, US Janet wrote:
>
>> Hi All. Besst wishes to all for the coming year!
>>
>> I'm still strugging with pulling specific data from a cloned hard
>> drive.
>>
>> The aps on my old computer were old enough (although continually
>> updated) that the new aps I have downloaded don't really work well
>> together. My financial software is giving me fits. So today I am
>> just going to start new (1/1/2021) on my new computer.
>>
>> I've finally taken the time to install so I can read rec.food.cooking.
>> Like everything else I needed my password for the entities that allow
>> me to access newsgroups. Then I had to get a special code from the
>> source to allow me to proceed with a download.
>>
>> Anyway, I am back with you on my old computer. I don't know about
>> what will happen with my new computer. I want to start clean there so
>> don't want to sync.
>>
>> Janet US

> Welcome back! We've missed you!!!

We have absolutely missed you! Happy New Year, Janet. Best of luck
with the new annoying computer.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-01-01 12:22 p.m., US Janet wrote:

> Hi All. Besst wishes to all for the coming year!
>
> I'm still strugging with pulling specific data from a cloned hard
> drive.
>
> The aps on my old computer were old enough (although continually
> updated) that the new aps I have downloaded don't really work well
> together. My financial software is giving me fits. So today I am
> just going to start new (1/1/2021) on my new computer.
>
> I've finally taken the time to install so I can read rec.food.cooking.
> Like everything else I needed my password for the entities that allow
> me to access newsgroups. Then I had to get a special code from the
> source to allow me to proceed with a download.
>
> Anyway, I am back with you on my old computer. I don't know about
> what will happen with my new computer. I want to start clean there so
> don't want to sync.

Welcome back. I know what a pain in the butt it can be too set up a new
computer, especially when you have to find old passwords. I replaced
my laptop last month and it took a few days to get things up and running
properly. I am glad that I didn't wait until an old one died.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"US Janet" wrote in message

Hi All. Besst wishes to all for the coming year!

I'm still strugging with pulling specific data from a cloned hard
drive.

The aps on my old computer were old enough (although continually
updated) that the new aps I have downloaded don't really work well
together. My financial software is giving me fits. So today I am
just going to start new (1/1/2021) on my new computer.

I've finally taken the time to install so I can read rec.food.cooking.
Like everything else I needed my password for the entities that allow
me to access newsgroups. Then I had to get a special code from the
source to allow me to proceed with a download.

Anyway, I am back with you on my old computer. I don't know about
what will happen with my new computer. I want to start clean there so
don't want to sync.

Janet US

====

It's good to see you back) Happy New Year!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/1/2021 12:22 PM, US Janet wrote:

> Anyway, I am back with you on my old computer. I don't know about
> what will happen with my new computer. I want to start clean there so
> don't want to sync.
>
> Janet US

Glad you made it back.
New computers can be a PITA though. I got a new desktop last May and a
laptop a few months ago. One bit help is Google Chrome. All the
passwords are saved so all I had to do was sign in to my Google account.

There is always that one or two programs though, that get lost, updated,
changed. I use Quicken and had a backup of that information, just a
few transactions to put in.

Thanks for the reminder, I should backup some other documents though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "US Janet"* wrote in message
>

> Hi All.* Besst wishes to all for the coming year!
>
> I'm still strugging with pulling specific data from a cloned hard
> drive.
>
> The aps on my old computer were old enough (although continually
> updated) that the new aps I have downloaded don't really work well
> together.* My financial software is giving me fits.* So today I am
> just going to start* new (1/1/2021) on my new computer.
>
> I've finally taken the time to install so I can read rec.food.cooking.
> Like everything else I needed my password for the entities that allow
> me to access newsgroups.* Then I had to get a special code from the
> source to allow me to proceed with a download.
>
> Anyway, I am back with you on my old computer.* I don't know about
> what will happen with my new computer.* I want to start clean there so
> don't want to sync.
>
> Janet US
>
> ====
>
> *It's good to see you back)* Happy New Year!!

BLIMEY! Yoose still alive? How about himself?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 01 Jan 2021 10:22:00 -0700, US Janet <jan6noplace.com> wrote:

>Hi All. Besst wishes to all for the coming year!
>
>I'm still strugging with pulling specific data from a cloned hard
>drive.
>
>The aps on my old computer were old enough (although continually
>updated) that the new aps I have downloaded don't really work well
>together. My financial software is giving me fits. So today I am
>just going to start new (1/1/2021) on my new computer.
>
>I've finally taken the time to install so I can read rec.food.cooking.
>Like everything else I needed my password for the entities that allow
>me to access newsgroups. Then I had to get a special code from the
>source to allow me to proceed with a download.
>
>Anyway, I am back with you on my old computer. I don't know about
>what will happen with my new computer. I want to start clean there so
>don't want to sync.
>
>Janet US

Good to see you back.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 1, 2021 at 11:22:10 AM UTC-6, US Janet wrote:

> Hi All. Besst wishes to all for the coming year!
>
> Janet US

YAY!!! Glad to see you back and in the new year with us!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

US Janet wrote:

> Hi All. Besst wishes to all for the coming year!
>
> I'm still strugging with pulling specific data from a cloned hard
> drive.
>
> The aps on my old computer were old enough (although continually
> updated) that the new aps I have downloaded don't really work well
> together. My financial software is giving me fits. So today I am
> just going to start new (1/1/2021) on my new computer.
>
> I've finally taken the time to install so I can read rec.food.cooking.
> Like everything else I needed my password for the entities that allow
> me to access newsgroups. Then I had to get a special code from the
> source to allow me to proceed with a download.
>
> Anyway, I am back with you on my old computer. I don't know about
> what will happen with my new computer. I want to start clean there so
> don't want to sync.
>
> Janet US

Welcome back! It's still crazy as ever.

Charlotte (Daughter on the Nimitz) got to pull out one of my old
recipes! She had to adapt it to french's mustard but the rest is
close. They ran out of lettuce (no biggie, just between supply ships
and plenty of other fresh foods). She said her LPO was busy and said
'do what you can' when she asked what to do for the salad bar.

Unlike Sheldon who exaggurates (sp?), this is real. Made in a big
batch and brought out in series to refill. USS Nimitz, 6,000 people in
a big floating city.

She made a sort of mayo-free coleslaw that starts with 150 heads of
cabbage, 50lbs onions and 40 lbs carrots.... and you make some 20
batches for lunch alone. Mustard vinegrette on side.

She has a crew of 3 to help her. Not as fancy sounding as making some
extravagant dish, but the stuff of life for the crew making due with no
lettuce left. Her charge is the salad bar. Not bad for an E3 to be in
charge of a normally E5 job.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"US Janet" <jan6noplace.com> wrote in message

> Hi All. Besst wishes to all for the coming year!
>
> I'm still strugging with pulling specific data from a cloned hard
> drive.
>
> The aps on my old computer were old enough (although continually
> updated) that the new aps I have downloaded don't really work well
> together. My financial software is giving me fits. So today I am
> just going to start new (1/1/2021) on my new computer.
>
> I've finally taken the time to install so I can read rec.food.cooking.
> Like everything else I needed my password for the entities that allow
> me to access newsgroups. Then I had to get a special code from the
> source to allow me to proceed with a download.
>
> Anyway, I am back with you on my old computer. I don't know about
> what will happen with my new computer. I want to start clean there so
> don't want to sync.

I'm still in the process of transferring things to my new one. I have
Carbonite but not everything transferred via that. My AV runs out soon on
this one. Not going to renew. Not going to put a news client on my new one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 01 Jan 2021 10:22:00 -0700, US Janet wrote:

> Hi All. Besst wishes to all for the coming year!
>
> I'm still strugging with pulling specific data from a cloned hard
> drive.
>
> The aps on my old computer were old enough (although continually
> updated) that the new aps I have downloaded don't really work well
> together. My financial software is giving me fits. So today I am
> just going to start new (1/1/2021) on my new computer.
>
> I've finally taken the time to install so I can read rec.food.cooking.
> Like everything else I needed my password for the entities that allow
> me to access newsgroups. Then I had to get a special code from the
> source to allow me to proceed with a download.
>
> Anyway, I am back with you on my old computer. I don't know about
> what will happen with my new computer. I want to start clean there so
> don't want to sync.

You should have heard all the lies they were making up about you :-)
Something about having newborn twins and running off to California
or Tennessee with some guy from the Congo you met on Tinder.

I haven't bought a new computer for 23 years. that's e thing about
those pre-built proprietary computers is that when they break or get
out of date, you just throw them away and buy a whole new one.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Jan 2021 20:22:20 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I'm still in the process of transferring things to my new one. I have
>Carbonite but not everything transferred via that. My AV runs out soon on
>this one. Not going to renew. Not going to put a news client on my new one.

You can't just spring that on Dave!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Jan 2021 20:22:20 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

> I'm still in the process of transferring things to my new one. I have
> Carbonite but not everything transferred via that. My AV runs out soon on
> this one. Not going to renew. Not going to put a news client on my new one.

Are you giving us up for adoption and going cold turkey?

John's gonna have to pick up the slack. Or maybe we need to bring
back that Devil Killer kid.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 1, 2021 at 10:42:03 PM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Jan 2021 10:22:00 -0700, US Janet wrote:
>
> > Hi All. Besst wishes to all for the coming year!
> >
> > I'm still strugging with pulling specific data from a cloned hard
> > drive.
> >
> > The aps on my old computer were old enough (although continually
> > updated) that the new aps I have downloaded don't really work well
> > together. My financial software is giving me fits. So today I am
> > just going to start new (1/1/2021) on my new computer.
> >
> > I've finally taken the time to install so I can read rec.food.cooking.
> > Like everything else I needed my password for the entities that allow
> > me to access newsgroups. Then I had to get a special code from the
> > source to allow me to proceed with a download.
> >
> > Anyway, I am back with you on my old computer. I don't know about
> > what will happen with my new computer. I want to start clean there so
> > don't want to sync.

> You should have heard all the lies they were making up about you :-)
> Something about having newborn twins and running off to California
> or Tennessee with some guy from the Congo you met on Tinder.
>
> I haven't bought a new computer for 23 years. that's e thing about
> those pre-built proprietary computers is that when they break or get
> out of date, you just throw them away and buy a whole new one.

I don't think I'll ever buy a new desktop. I bought this a few years ago,
and added a bunch of memory.
http://www.hp.com/canada/products/la...s/13278_na.pdf

https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...posted-public/

> -sw

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 2, 2021 at 4:53:48 AM UTC-6, Bryan Simmons wrote:
> On Friday, January 1, 2021 at 10:42:03 PM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Fri, 01 Jan 2021 10:22:00 -0700, US Janet wrote:
> >
> > > Hi All. Besst wishes to all for the coming year!
> > >
> > > I'm still strugging with pulling specific data from a cloned hard
> > > drive.
> > >
> > > The aps on my old computer were old enough (although continually
> > > updated) that the new aps I have downloaded don't really work well
> > > together. My financial software is giving me fits. So today I am
> > > just going to start new (1/1/2021) on my new computer.
> > >
> > > I've finally taken the time to install so I can read rec.food.cooking.
> > > Like everything else I needed my password for the entities that allow
> > > me to access newsgroups. Then I had to get a special code from the
> > > source to allow me to proceed with a download.
> > >
> > > Anyway, I am back with you on my old computer. I don't know about
> > > what will happen with my new computer. I want to start clean there so
> > > don't want to sync.

> > You should have heard all the lies they were making up about you :-)
> > Something about having newborn twins and running off to California
> > or Tennessee with some guy from the Congo you met on Tinder.
> >
> > I haven't bought a new computer for 23 years. that's e thing about
> > those pre-built proprietary computers is that when they break or get
> > out of date, you just throw them away and buy a whole new one.
> >

> I don't think I'll ever buy a new desktop. I bought this a few years ago,
> and added a bunch of memory.
> http://www.hp.com/canada/products/la...s/13278_na.pdf
>
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/155222...posted-public/

I know it's not likely, but some of you are computer folks. I have 12 of these:
https://www.memorydepot.com/detail/D...ER3C92GBN.html

It's registered server/workstation memory. If anyone has any use for them,
they're free if you pay postage.

> > -sw

> --Bryan

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "US Janet" <jan6noplace.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Hi All. Besst wishes to all for the coming year!
> >
> > I'm still strugging with pulling specific data from a cloned hard
> > drive.
> >
> > The aps on my old computer were old enough (although continually
> > updated) that the new aps I have downloaded don't really work well
> > together. My financial software is giving me fits. So today I am
> > just going to start new (1/1/2021) on my new computer.
> >
> > I've finally taken the time to install so I can read
> > rec.food.cooking. Like everything else I needed my password for
> > the entities that allow me to access newsgroups. Then I had to get
> > a special code from the source to allow me to proceed with a
> > download.
> >
> > Anyway, I am back with you on my old computer. I don't know about
> > what will happen with my new computer. I want to start clean there
> > so don't want to sync.

> I'm still in the process of transferring things to my new one. I have
> Carbonite but not everything transferred via that. My AV runs out
> soon on this one. Not going to renew. Not going to put a news client
> on my new one.

Xananews is simple and free, works with WIN10 right away.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Jan 2021 02:53:44 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons wrote:

> On Friday, January 1, 2021 at 10:42:03 PM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Fri, 01 Jan 2021 10:22:00 -0700, US Janet wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All. Besst wishes to all for the coming year!
>>>
>>> I'm still strugging with pulling specific data from a cloned hard
>>> drive.
>>>
>>> The aps on my old computer were old enough (although continually
>>> updated) that the new aps I have downloaded don't really work well
>>> together. My financial software is giving me fits. So today I am
>>> just going to start new (1/1/2021) on my new computer.
>>>
>>> I've finally taken the time to install so I can read rec.food.cooking.
>>> Like everything else I needed my password for the entities that allow
>>> me to access newsgroups. Then I had to get a special code from the
>>> source to allow me to proceed with a download.
>>>
>>> Anyway, I am back with you on my old computer. I don't know about
>>> what will happen with my new computer. I want to start clean there so
>>> don't want to sync.

>> You should have heard all the lies they were making up about you :-)
>> Something about having newborn twins and running off to California
>> or Tennessee with some guy from the Congo you met on Tinder.
>>
>> I haven't bought a new computer for 23 years. that's e thing about
>> those pre-built proprietary computers is that when they break or get
>> out of date, you just throw them away and buy a whole new one.
>>

> I don't think I'll ever buy a new desktop. I bought this a few years ago,
> and added a bunch of memory.
> http://www.hp.com/canada/products/la...s/13278_na.pdf

3 external 5.25" bays? WTF are those?

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 2, 2021 at 11:43:35 AM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Jan 2021 02:53:44 -0800 (PST), Bryan Simmons wrote:

> >> You should have heard all the lies they were making up about you :-)
> >> Something about having newborn twins and running off to California
> >> or Tennessee with some guy from the Congo you met on Tinder.
> >>
> >> I haven't bought a new computer for 23 years. that's e thing about
> >> those pre-built proprietary computers is that when they break or get
> >> out of date, you just throw them away and buy a whole new one.
> >>

> > I don't think I'll ever buy a new desktop. I bought this a few years ago,
> > and added a bunch of memory.
> > http://www.hp.com/canada/products/la...s/13278_na.pdf

> 3 external 5.25" bays? WTF are those?

What they mean are bays like DVD drives go into, accessible from the outside.
There are 4 internal ones where you put HDDs or SSDs. It's a very pretty thing.
The BMW of workstations. Literally.
https://www.zdnet.com/product/hp-z80...on-first-take/

> -sw

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 2, 2021 at 7:55:34 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Saturday, January 2, 2021 at 11:43:35 AM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:

> > > I don't think I'll ever buy a new desktop. I bought this a few years ago,
> > > and added a bunch of memory.
> > > http://www.hp.com/canada/products/la...s/13278_na.pdf

> > 3 external 5.25" bays? WTF are those?
> >

> What they mean are bays like DVD drives go into, accessible from the outside.
> There are 4 internal ones where you put HDDs or SSDs. It's a very pretty thing.
> The BMW of workstations. Literally.
> https://www.zdnet.com/product/hp-z80...on-first-take/
> >
> > -sw

> --Bryan

It's a beautiful machine for sure. I love a beautiful case. 46 lbs? Holy smokes!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 01 Jan 2021 20:31:48 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>US Janet wrote:
>

>> Hi All. Besst wishes to all for the coming year!
>>
>> I'm still strugging with pulling specific data from a cloned hard
>> drive.
>>
>> The aps on my old computer were old enough (although continually
>> updated) that the new aps I have downloaded don't really work well
>> together. My financial software is giving me fits. So today I am
>> just going to start new (1/1/2021) on my new computer.
>>
>> I've finally taken the time to install so I can read rec.food.cooking.
>> Like everything else I needed my password for the entities that allow
>> me to access newsgroups. Then I had to get a special code from the
>> source to allow me to proceed with a download.
>>
>> Anyway, I am back with you on my old computer. I don't know about
>> what will happen with my new computer. I want to start clean there so
>> don't want to sync.
>>
>> Janet US

>Welcome back! It's still crazy as ever.
>
>Charlotte (Daughter on the Nimitz) got to pull out one of my old
>recipes! She had to adapt it to french's mustard but the rest is
>close. They ran out of lettuce (no biggie, just between supply ships
>and plenty of other fresh foods). She said her LPO was busy and said
>'do what you can' when she asked what to do for the salad bar.
>
>Unlike Sheldon who exaggurates (sp?), this is real. Made in a big
>batch and brought out in series to refill. USS Nimitz, 6,000 people in
>a big floating city.
>
>She made a sort of mayo-free coleslaw that starts with 150 heads of
>cabbage, 50lbs onions and 40 lbs carrots.... and you make some 20
>batches for lunch alone. Mustard vinegrette on side.
>
>She has a crew of 3 to help her. Not as fancy sounding as making some
>extravagant dish, but the stuff of life for the crew making due with no
>lettuce left. Her charge is the salad bar. Not bad for an E3 to be in
>charge of a normally E5 job.

my husband had that duty when he first joined up. I mostly hear
stories of soaking poker chips to make them into steaks.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Jan 2021 22:41:57 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Fri, 01 Jan 2021 10:22:00 -0700, US Janet wrote:
>
>> Hi All. Besst wishes to all for the coming year!
>>
>> I'm still strugging with pulling specific data from a cloned hard
>> drive.
>>
>> The aps on my old computer were old enough (although continually
>> updated) that the new aps I have downloaded don't really work well
>> together. My financial software is giving me fits. So today I am
>> just going to start new (1/1/2021) on my new computer.
>>
>> I've finally taken the time to install so I can read rec.food.cooking.
>> Like everything else I needed my password for the entities that allow
>> me to access newsgroups. Then I had to get a special code from the
>> source to allow me to proceed with a download.
>>
>> Anyway, I am back with you on my old computer. I don't know about
>> what will happen with my new computer. I want to start clean there so
>> don't want to sync.

>You should have heard all the lies they were making up about you :-)
>Something about having newborn twins and running off to California
>or Tennessee with some guy from the Congo you met on Tinder.
>
>I haven't bought a new computer for 23 years. that's e thing about
>those pre-built proprietary computers is that when they break or get
>out of date, you just throw them away and buy a whole new one.
>
>-sw

My old computer (desktop) is from 2005. New computer is laptop. Old
computer has killed 2 hard drives. I bought and had installed a new
hard drive and a clone of the old one done. I don't ever want to be
without a computer again. I've become an online baby and had to try
to do everything on my cell phone. pfft! That is the way I
researched and purchased the laptop. I pay all my bills online. Plus
banking, etc. It was a real headache.
The 2005 computer had programs on it that I had downloaded with a
license that I had purchase years before. Those programs were
continually updated. But, since having 2 blank computers asking for
downloads, I have received several downloads that are not backward
compatible with stuff I had been working with before. Although I
maintain an address book of passwords, new programs have additional
security protocols and it helps if someone is in the Help office over
the holidays.
Janet US

Happy New Year / looking back on my past year's nommage [email protected] General Cooking 1 01-01-2011 06:36 AM
Happy Lunar New Year, or Happy Chinese New Year Becca General Cooking 1 13-02-2010 06:23 PM
Happy New Year jhl62 Diabetic 0 01-01-2008 09:51 AM
I'm sort of back Jeanine Hoffman Barbecue 9 24-02-2004 07:13 AM
Happy New Year Ian Hoare Wine 0 01-01-2004 05:05 PM